Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper SE (EV)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    Would the English buy a car with a french or Irish flag on it?

The Union Flag is often used as a design feature on British products. Tricolour flags are bit too boring to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    The Union Flag is often used as a design feature on British products.

Evidently! :)

Its still a stupid decision to make it mandatory in a car and think that customers in other countries arent going to have an issue with it.

It would have made alot more sense to make the flag an optional extra for those that want to shout "i support british" or "im british and im proud" or whatever it means to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,847 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Its still a stupid decision to make it mandatory in a car and think that customers in other countries arent going to have an issue with it.

I think the only "customers in other countries" that are going to have an issue with it are a few customers and only here in Ireland ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Something tells me that if you are that into patriotic nationalist nonsense, then you probably wouldn't be buying a "foreign" car anyway.

unkel wrote: »
    I think the only "customers in other countries" that are going to have an issue with it are a few customers and only here in Ireland ;)

I think the French might disagree with you! ;)

• Advertisement

Something tells me that if you are that into patriotic nationalist nonsense, then you probably wouldn't be buying a "foreign" car anyway.

You must have a little bit of that patriotic nonsense built in since you went to the bother of getting a quote to remove it! ;):D
    The car comes with the Union Flag rear lights, you cannot factory delete them, however, my dealer (and probably others) can do a dealer replacement for the standard lights. I was quoted around €500.

Jokes aside, i dont care one way or the other. Its not an anti-British thing for me. I just think it would have made more sense to make it optional rather than default.

It's likely one of those things that Mini customers just don't care about. It's not a Cooper SE thing, it's a general design feature of Mini Hatch's after the 2018 refresh.
    I think it's only offered as a dealer fit, because the rear lights from the pre 2018 refresh are compatible.

I didn't get a quote, the dealer brought it up during conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

I'd better not mention the flag motif on the headrests and dash !

Ionised wrote: »
    I'd better not mention the flag motif on the headrests and dash !

The big glowy flag on the passenger dash is the only one I'm thinking of changing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Cute car, should go well with a union jack mini dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't mind it that much, it makes the light cluster look more interesting.
    I thought we were better than the Northern Ireland Flegs debate!

Would you drive around in a vehicle with USA flags packed into the the light cluster?

They look ****e, never mind the 'uk brit' stuff.

listermint wrote: »
    Would you drive around in a vehicle with USA flags packed into the the light cluster?

They look ****e, never mind the 'uk brit' stuff.

That's your opinion (and you can pay to remove it). I think it really depends on the car, the Mini is iconically British in a way that isn't aggressive. If Fiat used the Italian flag as a design feature on the Fiat 500 it would probably work. Mini customers seem to be happy with them, there's loads of videos of pre-refresh F56 owners retrofitting the new lights.

liamog wrote:
    If Fiat used the Italian flag as a design feature on the Fiat 500 it would probably work.

I had a Fiat 500 with the Italian colours stripe down the bonnet and roof. Factory option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

unkel wrote: »

It's not the customers that might have an issue with it. It's unwanted attention they might attract from some other people. I was trying to think of a better description of them without getting banned.

But what I don't understand with regard to the MINI EV is how anyone would buy a car new with a 28 kWh battery in 2020. I don't care how it looks or drives .

Come 2024 when you are selling it and the latest Renaults and Nissans have 85 kWh batteries, I would worry about its resale worth

ei9go wrote:
    I don't care how it looks or drives .

Looks less so for me, but driving enjoyment is a rather important factor.
    I also don't buy cars based on resale value, as my Fiat 500 and Leon Cupra history would suggest!

Personally, I buy cars based on how they look inside and drive. If I wanted a sled on wheels with range then I'd be waiting for Dacia's attempt at an EV.

Mini's targeted this car at it's own customer base, it's intended for suburban customers and those who have a second car. You don't buy a 3 door Mini to munch motorway miles.
    The battery size is interesting, testing of the Mini SE has shown that it holds it's range really well at motorway speeds, I think the I3 was similar. Bjorn Nylands testing at 120km/h gave a usable range of 163km for the Mini and a 187km for the e208.

For myself, I'm replacing my e-Up! with the Mini, and wifey will be switching the Ioniq for an el-Born. I've managed nearly 3 years with a car that does 120km on a good day of Dublin driving, the Mini should get around 230km in the same conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Personally, I buy cars based on how they look inside and drive. If I wanted a sled on wheels with range then I'd be waiting for Dacia's attempt at an EV.

Mini's targeted this car at it's own customer base, it's intended for suburban customers and those who have a second car. You don't buy a 3 door Mini to munch motorway miles.
    The battery size is interesting, testing of the Mini SE has shown that it holds it's range really well at motorway speeds, I think the I3 was similar. Bjorn Nylands testing at 120km/h gave a usable range of 163km for the Mini and a 187km for the e208.

For myself, I'm replacing my e-Up! with the Mini, and wifey will be switching the Ioniq for an el-Born. I've managed nearly 3 years with a car that does 120km on a good day of Dublin driving, the Mini should get around 230km in the same conditions.

Not tempted by the Honda E, looks space age from the drivers seat?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

If it wasn't for the Mini, then I would have really considered it. I've always had a thing for Mini's, even though I've never owned one. Long term plan is to buy an old Austin Mini and do an EV conversion on it. Probably need to win the lotto first :p

slave1 wrote:

I was also looking at the Honda. Biggest problem is that you can't buy one!
    A little lacking in power too perhaps. The interior does look rather special which has appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

P...If I wanted a sled on wheels with range then I'd be waiting ....

Lol, like that. Sled with range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

My thoughts on the car, I loved it I have to say.

Great review MarkN, you pretty much summed up all the reason I decided to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭eagerv

Very good review and very nicely filmed. Lovely car.

Quick update. Finally collected my Cooper SE from Joe Duffy in Finglas yesterday.
    Very rapid first impressions:
    Enigmatic Black is actually very dark blue metallic (stunning in the sun).
    Regen braking and one pedal driving is quite the revalation and surprisingly easy to get used to.
    This is as quick 0-40 as my outgoing Cupra.
    Interior is very special.
    No Android Auto is unfortunate but no deal breaker.
    Busy in work so that's it for now. I'll grab a photo or two when it gets cleaned and the sun is out.
    Oh, KN had a cancellation so charge point going in on Thursday.

I promised a photo or two so here you go. Haven't had a chance to clean and polish yet unfortunately.

Got an email today looking for the info to submit the SEAI grant :D

Got an email today looking for the info to submit the SEAI grant :D

Good news.
    Do you have any kind of ETA on yours yet ?

Ionised wrote: »
    Good news.
    Do you have any kind of ETA on yours yet ?

I've been given a production week of 38 and delivery date of week 40, so that's next week and then between the 28th of September and 4th of October.

liamog wrote:
    I've been given a production week of 38 and delivery date of week 40, so that's next week and then between the 28th of September and 4th of October.

Fingers crossed its not delayed.

Did you go level 3 in the end?

• Advertisement

Yes, upgraded to the L3 primarily for the sunroof. I get the feeling I'm going to keep this car for a while, once wifey decided to steal my ID.3 (well el-Born) I figured I may as well go for a fun replacement instead of a practical one.

Advertisement