Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper SE (EV)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Bjorn doing tests with the Mini at the moment.
    At 90km/h covered 229km with an efficiency of 12.7kWh/100km. He also tested at 120km/h where he got an efficiency of 17.7kWh/100km and an estimated range of 166km.

Charged at Ionity, charging curve 50kW up to 78%, then it started ramping down, though still going at over 12kW at 95%.

To me, it looks like the Mini has a very similar battery and efficiency as the 2016 Ioniq, with only the 50kW CCS limit scoring against it. This is great to see, as a lot of newer small EVs really suffer at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not quite like Ioniq as that is more efficient and more aerodynamic. More like the i3 you mean? Very efficient setup with reasonable drag coefficients, very similar between MINI and i3 at 0.30 and 0.29 respectively. People forget but for years i3 was the second most efficient EV after Ioniq, no small feat for a car launched way back in 2013

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's more efficient than the I3 because it has a lower frontal area, the CD is important, but it's the CDA that really affects the air resistance, in terms of Bjorn's testing it's the third most efficient car at motorway speeds, after the Ioniq, and Model 3. He was very surprised.

My drawing parallels to the Ioniq 28 was due to the good motorway efficiency, fast charging up to 80% and decent enough up to 95% and the general range at motorway and none motorway speeds.

I'd love to take one for a test drive, must book that in some time. I just know it will be a cracker to drive :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Bob didn't seem too impressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Kramer wrote: »
    Bob didn't seem too impressed?

Well he does not really like ev's...give him golf and he is in heaven 😂😂😂

He did 90km from Sandyford to Portlaoise on a mix of 100km/h and 120km/h roads and used 50% of the battery, a consistent result with Bjorn's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

If it averages 200km on a charge over the year I'll only need to charge twice a week. Happy days.

I was surprised how positive Bjorn was overall to be honest.

For myself, if it handles as a Mini should, and is good for 100km a day then it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ionised wrote: »
    If it averages 200km on a charge over the year I'll only need to charge twice a week. Happy days.

I was surprised how positive Bjorn was overall to be honest.

For myself, if it handles as a Mini should, and is good for 100km a day then it works for me.

It's an offshoot of the i3 really, with further updates to the drivetrain I guess, hence the better energy efficiency.

Tiny boot but who cares if it suits as a city car. Even OK for longer trips, charge at Ionity and you're grand.

Looks like this is the only EV that is cheaper as electric as opposed to the comparable ICE version?
    At least in Ireland..

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Looks like this is the only EV that is cheaper as electric as opposed to the comparable ICE version?
    At least in Ireland..

Mini were smart, they could of released it as Mini One, but it would of been more powerful and €5,000 more expensive. Instead they've badged it as the comparable Cooper S model, and so it comes in as cheaper than the ICE. Supposedly the engineers put the I3 drive train in the car, and "realised" it had the performance of the Cooper S, so chose to market it that way.

0-100km/h in a touch over 6.6s. That's very decent and a good bit better than the official figure of 7.3s from BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    0-100km/h in a touch over 6.6s. That's very decent and a good bit better than the official figure of 7.3s from BMW

Isn't it front wheel drive though? I'd say it'll struggle on wet roads or accelerating aggressively onto roundabouts with that performance.
    Mad_Lad says it's rear wheel drive or nothing (* and a small petrol generator in the boot :D).

I saw many test driving these while waiting for my 530e alignment check in Joe Duffy's recently. It's probably one of the better, recent, EV offerings IMO & no doubt will sell well.

It's not a motorway mile muncher so 200km range & 50kW charging isn't bad for its intended target market.

Kramer wrote:
    Isn't it front wheel drive though? I'd say it'll struggle on wet roads or accelerating aggressively onto roundabouts with that performance. Mad_Lad says it's rear wheel drive or nothing (* and a small petrol generator in the boot ).
    I agree with him on the RWD. RWD in i3 is awesome, it will be very hard for me to change to any other car because of this.

Big fan of RWD myself. Particularly if you can switch off traction control, or even better, when the car is so old skool it doesn't even have traction control :D

I've yet to drive the MINI EV but there's no denying it's a real drivers car, even though it is "only" FWD

Update on my incoming Mini.
    Dealer contacted me to say they had a cancelled order available immediately. Same Level 3 spec but in Enigmatic Black (where do they come up with these colour names). My original order is still at least 8 weeks away.
    After a short discussion with the OH it was decided to swap to this car. All being well with grant application by the dealer, it should be less than two weeks to delivery.

If anyone is looking for a 172 Leon Cupra 300 in grey with 27k on the clock, mine should be appearing on some dealer forecourt fairly soon.

Now I just have to get my home chargepoint sorted in a timely fashion.

Quick update. Collecting Monday 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

Driving one this week, amazing fun to drive. Thank God I’ve a home charger though. Will you be getting the rear lights?!

DD895-CEF-9-FBD-4-C7-A-8-C63-B3-A7-BA20-D201.jpg
    675-FD049-3-C53-4-E5-E-88-A5-050-E866-CB9-D8.jpg
    C3-CA3-E3-A-1-C82-4-DD4-83-FA-C063-D78377-E7.jpg
    C3393-A0-E-178-F-4-F9-D-8793-EA335084-A62-B.jpg
    35-FBF133-34-DF-40-EA-9-F57-392-BBF40-EC12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Is it very similar drive to the I3? since it has the same motor etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

Much livelier.

• Advertisement

Those rear lights are standard fitment afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ionised wrote: »
    Those rear lights are standard fitment afaik

thought they were extra.

they are also ghastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

listermint wrote: »
    thought they were extra.

they are also ghastly.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was a €600 option to get rid of them and to have normal lights instead.

The car comes with the Union Flag rear lights, you cannot factory delete them, however, my dealer (and probably others) can do a dealer replacement for the standard lights. I was quoted around €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    The car comes with the Union Flag rear lights, you cannot factory delete them...

What a stupid production decision.

Sure no one is going to want a car with another countries flag built into it. :rolleyes:

I bet it wont be long before they change that!

I don't mind it that much, it makes the light cluster look more interesting.
    I thought we were better than the Northern Ireland Flegs debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The issue is not us. Its if someone else has an issue with it, and damages the car.

Lot of morons out there.

Then switch them :)
    I think the likelihood of anyone wilfully damaging the car because the LED rear lights look like half a Union Flag is very low on my list of concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Would the English buy a car with a french or Irish flag on it?

It’s just unnecessary rather than it being an anti British thing.

• Advertisement

My father in law once bought a second hand Rover 45. It had small Union Jacks in two little side panels. He tipp-exed them out :p

While I do find it a bit silly that the car comes with these flags, the MINI is supposed to be quintessentially British. Even though it is really German. But I guess Queen Victoria and her husband were German too and they only spoke German at home with their all German staff :eek:

Personally I wouldn't be worried about it being damaged over here. It is 2020, not 1980. And I don't think I would pay the dealer to remove them.

Advertisement