Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At a total loss - Where next?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well Christmas is the time for crap food and drink. This year I made an intention to avoid as much as possible.
    So one 23rd of December I weighed 94kg, 10 days later I was 101kg.....
    And no I didn't sitdown and eat 20 selection boxes or 10 crates of beer.
    On Xmas day I did 45k on the bike before dinner.
    On Stephens day I did a race (45k).
    The following day I did 2 hrs on the bike.
    The following day I had a 2 day stag. On day 1 I didn't drink alcohol. I had Heniken zero. On day 2 I had 2 pints of Guinness, 5 bottles of heniken and about 6 whiskeys, over a 10 hour + day.
    On both days I didn't eat right, it was dinners and bags of chips and burgers. I had probably 4 hrs sleep both nights.

On new years eve I had 2 bottles of Heniken and we shared a pizza at home, tayto crisps and nuts. I had a chinese take away.

My point been that for 10 days or so I didn't eat clean food, I drank alcohol, I exercised. I gained 7kg.

So if there was a competition to see if I could gain weight I'd win! :D

I've started the smaller amount of porridge and the weighin of food dry.
    Today I had 60 g of porridge with water.
    For dinner I had 200g of Salmon and 33g of uncooked rice (I cooked it then!) :)
    I have the same for this evening.

So lets see what happens. Appreciate all the feedback

yop wrote: »
    Well Christmas is the time for crap food and drink. This year I made an intention to avoid as much as possible.
    So one 23rd of December I weighed 94kg....

My point been that for 10 days or so I didn't eat clean food, I drank alcohol, I exercised. I gained 7kg.

So if there was a competition to see if I could gain weight I'd win! :D

If we ignore that 7kg gain you've been consistent weightwise since last December.
    I reckon your weighing scales is the issue not your calorie counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Taking the tracking accuracy at face value, he's barely consuming BMR calories.
    For the sake of information.
    BMR is 1850-1925 and DEE (before exercise) is 2200-2300
    Any chance you've packed on a lot of muscle mass on the legs with all this cycling? Eg some of the weight gain might not be fat?
    Extremely uinlikely
    So one 23rd of December I weighed 94kg, 10 days later I was 101kg.....
    Well there's your first issue. Assume 101kg was a true weight. It wasn't. There no way to gained 7kg in 10 days with that diet/activity.
    Most likely you were bloated with water from the excess. True weight was maybe 97kg.
    I'd also avoid using the lightest measurement this year as a bench mark.

A long term trend of you weight appears to be pretty level. So the reality you are likely eating as much as you are burning.

Are you 100 sure that you only eat 1800-2400.
    How many days do you train. As you shoudl really be hitting 1lb per week with that intake.

I've started the smaller amount of porridge and the weighing of food dry.
    For dinner I had 200g of Salmon and 33g of uncooked rice (I cooked it then!) [/QUOTE]
    As a test. What calories did you allow for that?
    What else did you eat. Lunch, snacks, coffee (as these always black, any sugar?)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mellor wrote: »
    I've started the smaller amount of porridge and the weighing of food dry.
    For dinner I had 200g of Salmon and 33g of uncooked rice (I cooked it then!)
    As a test. What calories did you allow for that?
    What else did you eat. Lunch, snacks, coffee (as these always black, any sugar?)[/QUOTE]

Porridge - 222 cals
    Salmon 378 cals
    33 grams of uncooked rice - 227

Black coffee. Dont eat sugar
    Lunch was the same again.
    Snacks are bananas, apples, nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How many nuts? They're something I really have to watch, as they are so calorie dense. Nuts (and dried fruit), I'd personally easily blow a deficit/ go over maintenance with no trouble at all.

Probably not as big an issue, but are you weighing the banana? I'm most definitely not in the "bananas are evil" camp, but they can vary a lot in size.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    How many nuts? They're something I really have to watch, as they are so calorie dense. Nuts (and dried fruit), I'd personally easily blow a deficit/ go over maintenance with no trouble at all.

Probably not as big an issue, but are you weighing the banana? I'm most definitely not in the "bananas are evil" camp, but they can vary a lot in size.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110643240&postcount=47

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

200 cals for the porridge.
    130 cals for the whey protein shake.
    banana 71 cals
    apple 75 cals

Exercise, Its around the 350-400 mark. It differs from MyFitnessPal to Training Peaks and Strava.

Ya I know, it should be falling off really.

Lunch was
    Chicken breast 150g - 285 cals
    Cooked carrots - 100g - 35 cal
    Cooked brocelli - 200 g - 93 cal

Are you aiming for gross or net calories for the day? E.g. if your exercise says that you burned 340 clories do you eat an extra 340 calories that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Calorie counting is only a tool. It's useful so you have an idea of the makeup of food and how much you are consuming but the best indicator is your mirror. If your calorie counting says you should be losing weight but the mirror doesn't then just drop your calories by 10%. Don't get obsessed with the scales, over the short-term they can fluctuation a lot.

Calorie counting isn't an exact science as you can't exactly calc how much you burn normally and with exercise etc.

Fyi, strength training along with the cardio and diet will drop fat 40% faster than cardio and diet alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Sorry to jump in but just reading this thread had made me look at my portion sizes... I usually weight pasta, rice, potatoes etc raw, what a normal portion size in raw for these for one person in grams, anything I find on the Internet is in cups? I'm kind of shocked at those saying 200g of potatoes is a lot!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Acey10 wrote: »
    what is a normal portion size in raw for these for one person in grams, anything I find on the Internet is in cups? I'm kind of shocked at those saying 200g of potatoes is a lot!

I usually have 250g fresh cut chips (parboil/oven myself) and about 75g pasta. About 80-90g (half a cup) of rice, which is more than I'd use. Depends on the baby potato but usually 4-5 of them.

(For reference I'm M5'4" , 190lbs, down from 300.5)

It's one of those things where carbs have brilliant instant filling/satisfaction value, so a decent place to use calories. I'd have half a plate of vegetables which is not great at either (I'd be hungry again 2 hours later of I didn't get my fill of starch/meat)

• Advertisement

Acey10 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in but just reading this thread had made me look at my portion sizes... I usually weight pasta, rice, potatoes etc raw, what a normal portion size in raw for these for one person in grams, anything I find on the Internet is in cups? I'm kind of shocked at those saying 200g of potatoes is a lot!

Wholegrain basmati.........packet states 60g is a portion. I use 90g as a portion.........300kcals.

200g of potatoes is not many potatoes but 100g of baby potatoes is 80kcals, so 1/5 of a 1kg bag is 160kcals. I'd typically use a 1/3 of a bag as a portion so that'd be 270kcals ish.

200g of spuds is not a lot at all IMO but my maintencance kcals is 3000/day.

Looking at grams of rice/potato in a single meal, with no other info is pointless. You can’t say X is a large portion or Y is normal.

Yeah....the chap asked a question. I imagine he doesn't have a meal of just rice or just potato.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah....the chap asked a question. I imagine he doesn't have a meal of just rice or just potato.

I didn't say anything about just rice or just potato. I think you missed the point.

One person could have an intake of 2400 split between 3 meals clean. For a 800cal meal, 90g of rice is probably fine.
    If it was split between 4 meals and some snacks. That's 500 cals a meal. In that case 90g of rice is a big poirtion.

That's just changing 1 variable. Change total intake, activity, sex, macro split etc and the range for a portion size is massive.

Mellor wrote: »
    ............ I think you missed the point.............

No, I don't think I did.

I stated what I use for a portion of rice and that my maintenance kcals is 3000kcals. So I was quantifying what I use as portion, what that portion is in kcals and what my maintenance kcals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

I just wanted to know what a normal r average portion size was in raw form to get an idea for myself, i understand now it depends on the individual and meal. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Am reading through your thread, and it sounds to me youre insulin resistant. A very telling sign is if you carry a lot of weight around your stomach?

You put on weight at the drop of a hat
    You eat a lot of sugar through carbs and fruit

May I suggest something (that works for me) - I do find it hard to do - because it is a little limiting. But once I do this, weight falls off:

Water as much as you want.
    No fruit.
    Eat as much veg as you like.
    Eat like this at least 5 days a week. The other 2, do have a few treats in there.

For breakfast eat protein only. Coffee is fine. No milk is even better.
    For lunch, protein plus lots of salad (no fruit).
    For dinner, protein and carbs (brown rice - I would still not eat the pasta, even if it is brown. Potato with skin on is even better).
    No "tea" (you seem to eat a few meals)
    About 2 hour before bed, eat a square (2 max) of 85% dark chocolate. Will keep your blood sugar level.
    If you are training early in the morning, have a square of dark chocolate before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yop! Dude it's been two weeks, how are you getting on? If you're still not losing would ya go to the GP and get some bloods/physical done? If nothing else it's peace of mind that it's not your thyroid, cushing's etc. and you can target your food/exercise. Rooting for ya!

Advertisement