Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Dave isnt 100 percent solid.

That said I feel alot of his predictions are guess work at times.

He isn't even 50% solid these days.

I really feel he's guessing his way around WWE news these days. And it's really showing how sloppy he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    He isn't even 50% solid these days.

I really feel he's guessing his way around WWE news these days. And it's really showing how sloppy he is.

Im not a big fan of Dave, but I feel even those in creative in WWE are guessing what their product may be day to day.

In relation to Ryker, do I think he guessed? more than likely. It was a fair assumption that he'd be gone soon. Turns out he was wrong.

Ryker is a good worker, but his comments at the time couldnt have gone down well with the people of colour in WWE. Be interesting to see how folks like the Hurt Business or New Day work with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Im not a big fan of Dave, but I feel even those in creative in WWE are guessing what their product may be day to day.

In relation to Ryker, do I think he guessed? more than likely. It was a fair assumption that he'd be gone soon. Turns out he was wrong.

Ryker is a good worker, but his comments at the time couldnt have gone down well with the people of colour in WWE. Be interesting to see how folks like the Hurt Business or New Day work with him.

Aside from anything else "Ryker is a good worker" dude what?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Former WWE writer Freddie Prinze Jr is the main star and producer behind this so that explains all the wrestler involvement.

MLW's PPV Kings of Colosseum which is on Wednesday January 6th will air for free on there YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNL6Rxxy-LtEdwH3YPbVS2g

They are going up against NXT's New Year's Evil special & AEW Dynamite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

MLW's PPV Kings of Colosseum which is on Wednesday January 6th will air for free on there YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNL6Rxxy-LtEdwH3YPbVS2g

They are going up against NXT's New Year's Evil special & AEW Dynamite

Nice one, Fatu/Hammerstone if announced for the MLW World championship will be a cracker.

New Year's Evil :pac: WWE going back to the WCW drawing board again in 2020.

Clq-LOZXIAA596R?format=jpg&name=large

Aside from anything else "Ryker is a good worker" dude what?

I enjoyed his TNA run. Whats your take?

Is NXT new years Evil a thing?

Sounds terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Should call something Mayhem if anything. Was always a good sounding ppv name.

But it has the last years of WCW stink. Suits modern day WWE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Terrible PS1 game, followed by the even worse Backstage Assault.

A good read Mauro talks.

The full podcast is in the link if you want to listen.
    I wanna thank Triple H who sent me a very nice text message after the Tyson PPV," revealed Ranallo. "WWE is one of the most mentally grueling places and that's not necessarily a criticism by any means. That's one of the reasons Vince McMahon has built a multi-million-dollar empire. Is it perfect? Not by any means but neither am I.

"I chose at a late age, 46, to go to WWE. They courted me and it was a dream come true. I wanted to work for WWE as a play-by-play announcer because I thought it would be, not only an affirmation of my accomplishments and achievements and who I am as a broadcaster, but because of the connection I had with pro wrestling going back to the very beginning of my life."

Ranallo said pro wrestling was something that he and his family bonded over when he was younger. He also remembers his best friend – who passed away at 19 – who told Ranallo that he couldn't wait for him to one day work for Vince McMahon.

"So, making WWE was very special to me for many reasons. Now, I thought Jerry Lawler, Byron Saxton and I had instant chemistry but they made the changes they felt they had to make. It's their company. I've proven that I can work with almost anyone as a broadcaster. But yeah, there were many times where I'm like, 'What is going on here?' A 4-man booth, an 8-man booth; there was a picture on Twitter where there were literally eight people on headsets," recalled Ranallo. I get it, but that's not what I want as a commentator. I get these stressful situations and these changes on the fly as it's just the system there. But for me and my mental health – even moving to NXT when we were live, it was the best experience I could ask for and that's a testament to Triple H and everyone down at NXT.

"I just felt, for my own mental health, and it was becoming more and more apparent doing the show even from home. I know, God bless his soul Jim Cornette and many people, 'How the hell can this guy quit a high-paying, high-profile gig of which there are so few in this world? And he could do the show from his home, remotely, how could he leave?' It was to the point I would have panic attacks in the morning of the recordings the last few months."

Ranallo pointed to the personnel changes in commentary played a role in his departure as he said he believes in chemistry. He also admitted that, perhaps, he was the problem as he expected his level of focus and preparedness to be reciprocated by others.

"I'm a play-by-play announcer and I think I'm one of the better ones in the business. I need to be left alone at times. So, I want to thank WWE for everything. They have improved my standing in the world and have allowed me, I believe, to get other opportunities. The fan base, and their treatment of yours truly, their support of my documentary. There will never be… and I know that business feeds off, 'Oh, that's a tell-all and a shoot interview!' The shoot is this, it was like my life – filled with highs and lows and trials and tribulations – sometimes when the dream comes true it doesn't necessarily remain a dream. Sometimes you're not supposed to meet your heroes but I am blessed I met everyone," stated Ranallo.

He said even though he didn't see eye to eye with Vince McMahon at all times, he has nothing but respect for Vince and his thankful for all of the projects WWE allowed him to be a part of.

Because of the pandemic, NXT had a remote three-man booth for their broadcasts which Ranallo isn't a fan of. He talked about how the stress of that expedited his departure despite the efforts of WWE and their production team.

"WWE's production value speaks for itself. They've got the most talented crew and their production value is amazing. They made it work," Ranallo said before discussing many of those incredible people behind the scenes.

"They're geniuses and incredible, but yeah [it was] highly frustrating. I believe that's what really started to trigger my issues. I had many issues and I'm pretty sure I may have traumatized Beth Phoenix at times. We tried to make it work but it's almost impossible, especially a three-man booth. I'm a traditionalist and I want two-man. At times, I think I can do it by myself but I think a two-man booth is the ideal situation. That's why I have so much fun with Josh Barnett doing New Japan Pro Wrestling.

"It definitely led to my struggles with the way it was set up. I did travel for Showtime in August to the Mohegan Sun bubble and they made sure we wanted to do it with all of the testing and protocols. Yes, I was nervous and I'm still nervous. But I felt comfortable there and I think maybe, in Florida it was much a hotspot. I just couldn't travel to Florida and WWE, again, facilitated that. They brought me back to earn a living which I will always be grateful for.

"But that was a part of it. It could have worked even better but it's just what it is – a perfect storm of long days and tough on me mentally."

He added that even though he was working just one day a week for WWE, it was mentally grueling and it got to him. Ranallo didn't think he was giving his best work so he decided to depart WWE after five years.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/12/07/post-interview-mauro-ranallo-on-mike-tyson-rjj-and-leaving-wwe/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I enjoyed his TNA run. Whats your take?

My take is you might be the only person on Earth that enjoyed Gunner.

My take is you might be the only person on Earth that enjoyed Gunner.

I liked his matches with James Storm and the previous tag team. Hes decent, hardly the worst on the world. The bodyguard role will suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/status/1336712738538655747?s=21

Goldberg appeared on the Bump today.. are we going to get Goldberg v Roman? Sigh

TimesArrow wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/status/1336712738538655747?s=21

Goldberg appeared on the Bump today.. are we going to get Goldberg v Roman? Sigh

Theres only one to Book Roman v Goldberg.... total squash by Roman.

They won't and it will suck. Gildberg can fcuk right off. The fiend should have squashed him last year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it's at the Rumble only and Roman destroys him.

Rumble title matches are almost always throwaway matches anyway so have the spectacle of Roman wrecking him for 2-3 minutes and move on.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it's at the Rumble only and Roman destroys him.

Rumble title matches are almost always throwaway matches anyway so have the spectacle of Roman wrecking him for 2-3 minutes and move on.

The match in isolation if its a squash is fine. However knowing WWE they will not book it.... nor would I be surprised if Goldberg would play ball with a squash.

Also the feud wont be booked on an merit.... Goldberg will jump the queue of challengers as per usual and be handed a title shot. I hate that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

If this match happens, I think they’ll do it at mania unfortunately.. Goldberg was destroyed v Braun in his last match ( remember that??).. I agree Roman should squash him but would Bill agree to this? Goldberg seems to think of himself as a legit tough guy.. Losing to brock at mania should have been the end for him. Everything that has followed has been embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 85,263 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TimesArrow wrote: »
    If this match happens, I think they’ll do it at mania unfortunately.. Goldberg was destroyed v Braun in his last match ( remember that??).. I agree Roman should squash him but would Bill agree to this? Goldberg seems to think of himself as a legit tough guy.. Losing to brock at mania should have been the end for him. Everything that has followed has been embarrassing

Is Bill Goldberg still a big enough name for WM :o

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Bill Goldberg still a big enough name for WM :o

Love him or hate him hes a star. WWE cant make them anymore.

Some how Goldberg still pops a number... or a slight increase at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Some how Goldberg still pops a number... or a slight increase at least.

The thing that irks me about Goldberg is that he comes across as an entitled relic. He still displays a somewhat sh1tty attitude towards the business and fans yet happily turns up for the pay day, so I guess that just rubs me up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think this is incorrect. They could make stars, they don't want to because a star means power (negotiating, marketing etc.) that can be viewed as separate and apart independent to WWE.

they want WWE and their universe to be the star with lots of interchangable characters that they control and replace without it affecting WWE

I think this is incorrect. They could make stars, they don't want to because a star means power (negotiating, marketing etc.) that can be viewed as separate and apart independent to WWE.

they want WWE and their universe to be the star with lots of interchangable characters that they control and replace without it affecting WWE

Not saying your wrong, I just disgaree.

They want stars. The more stars and the bigger the stars, the more potential for their business to grow and prosper.

They just cant do it anymore, they botch every attempt and unintentionally hamstring most attempts to get people truly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah it's been a while since they intentionally made a star. Becky wasn't who they wanted to get over and we saw what happened when she did. They put Charlotte with her and tried to move the spotlight to her, before finally accepting Becky was who the fans wanted.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah it's been a while since they intentionally made a star. Becky wasn't who they wanted to get over and we saw what happened when she did. They put Charlotte with her and tried to move the spotlight to her, before finally accepting Becky was who the fans wanted.

But they want Charlotte to be a star.

Roman.

Drew.

Orton.

The Fiend.

They just botch it everytime from a multitude of angles. Roman has got off to a good start since Summerslam but give it time, they will botch it. Its already hamstrung with this head of the table bollox. They ram this **** down everyones throats, to the point where I cringe.

Though there is evidnece to suggest they try hold back stars who are breaking out. Why? God knows. Like Sasha gets mainstream exposure and its ignored. Is it because Sasha got it off her own back, unlike say The Miz who was handpicked for a relating show.

Big Show gets his own show, was it every mentioned? (Not that he needed ot, just comparing it to how Miz and Mrs was presented and mentioned dozens of times)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

But they want Charlotte to be a star.

Roman.

Drew.

Orton.

The Fiend.

I disagree, they don't want any of those to be stars. They want them to be WWE™© etc. attractions They want people to see them and think WWE first and then Roman, Drew, Orton, Charlotte, The Fiend.

Take NXT for example. People tune in (not as many as tune in to AEW) to see NXT not Balor, Shirai, Ripley. It's brand association and that's why they can move wrestlers up to the main roster without worrying about huge viewer dropout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I want to see Goldberg vs Ryback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The thing that irks me about Goldberg is that he comes across as an entitled relic. He still displays a somewhat sh1tty attitude towards the business and fans yet happily turns up for the pay day, so I guess that just rubs me up wrong.

I like Goldberg - however, yeah, he does show an attitude.
    Like lets all be honest Goldberg doesnt care about wrestling :p But that's fine as who here really "loves" their job either. RVD openly admits how it's just a job to him. But RVD did love it at one point. Bill was openly never a fan of pro wrestling. But so be it. You do not have to love something to be successful.

But I do wonder, is it because of his 'easy' career?
    Like he got spotted by Luger and Sting and they told him to get his ass down to the Power Plant. But according to the leaked WCW payroll ( here https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts#TOC-Bill-Goldberg ) Goldberg earned $20,000 in 1996. So that says he was apart of the guys who WCW signed to train. His NFL career was finished and it was not a case of him giving wrestling a go (like paying the power plant, he was getting paid since the start so he fell into it)

Not to mention Bill was a star since his first televised match and the push they gave him was akin to strapping a rocket to his back. So Bill doesn't know what the indies are like, he doesnt know what its like to linger or be a jobber - Fair play of course I think everyone would rather his path than an alternative - But, to me at least, that also means it's very easy for someone to get an attitude. To be given everything so quick. Very easy to think you are special and amazing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Bill doesn't know what the indies are like, he doesnt know what its like to linger or be a jobber

Either does Roman. Or 95% of the current roster. Thats why its so sh1t.

Advertisement