Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Smacruairi wrote: »
    To be fair, does anyone want to see that match 20 years past its best? Even people talking about the buildup... Taker was never a 100%mic man, I don't think I've ever found myself on YouTube looking at 10 best taker promos... (other than that one with big show and him on bikes in the desert)

A cinematic match? Yeah I would have loved to have seen that. Perfect opportunity for them avoid in ring work and just do pure character work.

If they were allowed to let loose on the promos, the build up could have been fire. Vince just letting his ego make business decisions if that is what he genuinely believes. He couldn't possibly facilitate a situation where Sting was a peer of Taker's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

A cinematic match? Yeah I would have loved to have seen that. Perfect opportunity for them avoid in ring work and just do pure character work.

If they were allowed to let loose on the promos, the build up could have been fire. Vince just letting his ego make business decisions if that is what he genuinely believes. He couldn't possibly facilitate a situation where Sting was a peer of Taker's.

Not trying to argue, just I disagree. They are both busted and beat up. You can't complain about Kevin dunne and his camera cuts, then want a cinematic match to hide the fact that 2 guys at a combined age of 12 0 can't go like they could in the 90s.

Let loose on what promos, seriously I can't remember one taker promo that I can quote. Moments, yes, but promos that I can really quote like Austin, rock or cena, sorry no.

I'm a taker guy, I love the drama, the theatre, the suspense in the walk, but the reigns match a few years back was it, done. Everything after has been poor and very very much diminishing returns,so God help him with a broken Stinger like. Let the lads be managers and props, but no scorpion death lock to a guy who wouldn't be able to hold up his weight.

Harsh I know but I can't be on my own on this one! Just have to look at brothers of destruction vs DX to see how bad it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Harsh I know but I can't be on my own on this one! Just have to look at brothers of destruction vs DX to see how bad it could be.

I'd be with you, the last decent taker match that sticks in my head was vs Punk at wrestlemania, and as for Sting, all i can remember from his match with HHH and Rollins are cringing at the combover (HHH) and the bucklebomb (Rollins).

For the life of me I can't understand why AEW are getting a pass on bringing in another former big star when they were supposed to be all about elevating quality future stars that were either not well known or percieved as misused by WWE.

Horrible to say but when I heard about Sting showing up i just thought, hello TNA circa 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I'd be with you, the last decent taker match that sticks in my head was vs Punk at wrestlemania, and as for Sting, all i can remember from his match with HHH and Rollins are cringing at the combover (HHH) and the bucklebomb (Rollins).

For the life of me I can't understand why AEW are etting a pass on bringing in another former big star when they were supposed to be all about elevating quality future stars that were either not well known or percieved as misused by WWE.

Horrible to say but when I heard about Sting showing up i just thought, hello TNA circa 2010.

Does AEW bringing in Sting automatically negate the use and elevation of the likes of Hangman, Darby, Omega, Ricky Starks, Kingston, Jungle Boy, Sammy Guevara etc?

Not a huge fan of them using Sting myself but I don't think it does. He's made one non-speaking appearance for the company and some online are shi**ing all over it which I think is a bit over the top. If it ends up with Sting challenging and defeating the World champion that will of course be awful.

If he's used in a mentor/partner role for maybe Darby would that be awful? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm willing to give it a chance for more than one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If bringing a "legend" in takes time and attention away from the likes of them then yes. It's not as bad as WWE with Goldberg but it's a slippery slope.

Does Darby need someone in that role? Does it fit his character? Was he struggling without it?

Time will tell but TNA tried to recreate WCW and failed, i'd be concerned that AEW are going down the same path with some added virtue signalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If bringing a "legend" in takes time and attention away from the likes of them then yes. It's not as bad as WWE with Goldberg but it's a slippery slope.

Does Darby need someone in that role? Does it fit his character? Was he struggling without it?

Time will tell but TNA tried to recreate WCW and failed, i'd be concerned that AEW are going down the same path with some added virtue signalling.

Darby doesnt need Sting. Hes done perfectly fine without him.

As for Sting the initial moment was cool mainly for Tony marking out. Besides that, Sting looks way past it and looks like an old man in paint face. At least Goldberg looked a bit decent for his age. Ive no desire to see Sting in the same way I dont wanna see Flair, Hogan, Goldberg, Taker or HHH on 2020.

Even in a manager role I dont have any enthusiasm for it but if anyone can make it work its AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two of The Rascalz have signed with NXT and the other Trey Miguel is still weighting up his options between WWE & AEW.

The New York Times 20 Best Performances of 2020
    Maxwell Jacob Friedman doing “Me and My Shadow” on All Elite Wrestling
    Some weeks the athleticism at this professional wrestling start-up is more exciting than anything happening in Vince McMahon’s empire. And no one in the WWE has this kid’s combination of diction (Juilliard by way of Long Island), intensity or cheesiness, either. Even when Friedman’s lost his cool (his nom de ring is MJF), he still has astounding control. The character is part heel, part tool (hair gel, loafers, Burberry bling — tacky, tacky, tacky) and part goodfella wannabe; his mouth does more running than he does. For reasons only the producers of this show can explain, a long segment in October between MJF and the veteran Chris Jericho culminated in a version of “Me and My Shadow” complete with dancing women and live singing. It was less than spectacular, though not for anything Friedman did. He wasn’t embarrassed at all. He was smooth in a way that should worry Ric Flair. This kid makes you wanna say, “Woo!”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/04/arts/best-performances.html

https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1334896803389595659?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 85,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The return we've all been waiting for...

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=141987

Billie's partner this Friday? For those who don't wanna click
    The one, the only, EVA MARIE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To quote the women herself. You’ve got to be joking me. Isn’t this a new era where women in the company should want to actually get good ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    To quote the women herself. You’ve got to be joking me. Isn’t this a new era where women in the company should want to actually get good ?

They're swimming in great women wrestlers. Need spots for comedy/lower card women too like Billie. I thought Eva's last gimmick before she left was actually funny, where there was an excuse every week for her to avoid wrestling.

J. Marston wrote: »
    They're swimming in great women wrestlers. Need spots for comedy/lower card women too like Billie. I thought Eva's last gimmick before she left was actually funny, where there was an excuse every week for her to avoid wrestling.

But billie can actually wrestle. She done it in the past and is far better than how she is perceived from her wwe run.

I actually think Billie kay is the funniest thing they have in the company at the moment. Up there with when becky used to do the puns - she actually seems a bit of craic. Next tshirt I order is a billie kay one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Congratulations to Becky and Seth

Vinny Mac will be on the phone shortly to see if she’ll be ready for the rumble

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgpik4h7Pt/?igshid=r9kl6grcqnsp

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not a snowballs chance, that Becky will be at the Rumble.

Summerslam at the earliest, I reckon.

Congrats to them. Roux Rollins is a cool ring name if they ever go down that path!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Roux is a cool name indeed. Em is it a girl or a boy though? I'm guessing girl but don't see that confirmed anywhere.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Roux is a cool name indeed. Em is it a girl or a boy though? I'm guessing girl but don't see that confirmed anywhere.

A girl I think. Well just from the picture and some of the replies from her wwe colleagues who say “her” so that’s why I’m assuming it’s a girl. Good news to get on a cold Monday in December.

Pentecost wrote: »

It could be They/Them

• Advertisement

Becks is a bit of a greenie but Seth doesn't strike me as one for the "they" messing

Wait isn’t roux the name of a chef ? I’m sure he was on master chef before.

The name Roux is a boy's name of Latin origin meaning "russet"
    Roux is the name of the dashing Johnny Depp character in Chocolat. Roux is French from a Latin word meaning russet or brownish red; it's also a cooking term for a mixture of flour and butter that forms the foundation of many gravies or sauces. Most of today's children with this name, pronounced roo, will actually spell it Rue, for the female character in The Hunger Games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Must have got Becky's hair

It could be They/Them

We'll just call it Baby Quin-Lopez for now

• Registered Users Posts: 85,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

J. Marston wrote: »
    Summerslam at the earliest, I reckon.

Congrats to them. Roux Rollins is a cool ring name if they ever go down that path!

What's the parents real names?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All this talk about Roux, where is the love for Lash LeRoux? :p

Lash_LeRoux.jpg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What's the parents real names?

Rebecca Quin and Colby Lopez. I had to look up Seth's last name.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://rajah.com/node/wwe-star-makes-surprising-return-tv-during-last-nights-taping-main-event

Jaxson Ryker is back as a bodyguard for Elias.

Which is strange as our pro wrestling overlord the great Davy Meltzy said last week WWE were done with him and moving on without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    https://rajah.com/node/wwe-star-makes-surprising-return-tv-during-last-nights-taping-main-event

Jaxson Ryker is back as a bodyguard for Elias.

Which is strange as our pro wrestling overlord the great Davy Meltzy said last week WWE were done with him and moving on without him.

Dave isnt 100 percent solid. Yes he has contacts in WWE, but WWE changes so much on the fly that nothing is set in stone ever.

He could talk to someone today and be told Big E is the plan for winning the Rumble and on today it may be true. 24 hours later, Big E could be gone from that spot just because McMahon changed his mind.

Think Vince McMahon being Mr Burns and Big E being Frank Grimes.

Dave might have been right at the time.

That said I feel alot of his predictions are guess work at times.

Advertisement