Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tbh honest I'm starting to think that the guys who get handed everything and make it work actually are pretty special, not in the same way as the guys who struggle and work their way up..but if you think about it the ones who get a rocket strapped to them and manage to become and stay popular are pretty rare

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MLW's PPV Kings of Colosseum which is on Wednesday January 6th will air for free on there YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNL6Rxxy-LtEdwH3YPbVS2g

They are going up against NXT's New Year's Evil special & AEW Dynamite

And AEW are going with New Year's Smash Night 2 with special guest Snoop Dog.

I wonder how the WWE feel about Snoop being on AEW Snoop always seemed to be a WWE guy especially with Sasha being there.

A stacked night of wrestling on January 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I doubt they care.

Snoop isn't exactly a big get these days judging by the fact he's on Just Eat ads every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

And AEW are going with New Year's Smash Night 2 with special guest Snoop Dog.

I wonder how the WWE feel about Snoop being on AEW Snoop always seemed to be a WWE guy especially with Sasha being there.

A stacked night of wrestling on January 6th.

Wrestle Kingdom 15 on January 4th & 5th too, and New Year Dash on the 6th.

Great few days to start 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Tbh honest I'm starting to think that the guys who get handed everything and make it work actually are pretty special, not in the same way as the guys who struggle and work their way up..but if you think about it the ones who get a rocket strapped to them and manage to become and stay popular are pretty rare

Lesnar is another example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It doesnt matter what you do to get the ball, what matters is what you do with it when you get it.

Its not all on them though, the booking committee should take some of the credit if it goes well or the blame if it goes bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

The Nal wrote: »
    Either does Roman. Or 95% of the current roster. Thats why its so sh1t.

I know you just picked 95 per cent of the top of your head, but most of the current roster is mixed of ex ROH, TNA, even a couple of New Japan guys etc
    I can only think of Baron Corbin, Braun and some of the women as NXT day one crew. As far as I know, they didn't really work the indies.

Roman doing great now and always had it in him it was the booking holding him back. The current issues are not really the roster fault more so the writing IMO.

jface187 wrote: »
    I know you just picked 95 per cent of the top of your head, but most of the current roster is mixed of ex ROH, TNA, even a couple of New Japan guys etc
    I can only think of Baron Corbin, Braun and some of the women as NXT day one crew. As far as I know, they didn't really work the indies.

Roman doing great now and always had it in him it was the booking holding him back. The current issues are not really the roster fault more so the writing IMO.

Probably the most talented roster ever.

But the systematic problems will continue to make it a chore to watch week in week out.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Is NXT new years Evil a thing?

Sounds terrible.

Poster for it.

WWE-NXT-New-Years-Evil-1000x600.jpg

I saw it advertised. Terrible name.

Lets hope the show is better than the name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I really hope Big Show reprises his role as the New Year's Baby!

exqC8Cs.gif

Tommy "Zeus" Lister has died aged 62 RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I really hope Big Show reprises his role as the New Year's Baby!

Well there is an image i'm not going to get out of my head anytime soon....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

jface187 wrote:

It's the same age old issue with WWE in fairness. Their booking is abysmal granted but in particular babyfaces. WWE has lost the ability to build a proper babyface.

They're all the same carbon copy bull from 10 years ago that didn't even work at that time.

The only time they've done anything decent with a face is when they've transitioned from heel and been showing attitude, or have staggered onto it by accident (in the cases of Bryan and Becky)

Heels can have attitude and show more character.

Faces are all the same, cut the same promos, smile goofily and get on with it

They ruined Rollins' face push, they turned Balor into a smiling, collar flicking doofus, the list is endless.

Roman is doing well now because he's somewhere in between so can come away from the typical catchphrases; 'Believe That' and 'This is my yard now' and actually show part of himself rather than being a pandering, simpering buffoon like how WWE portray all the good guys.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

WWE could make stars, they don't want to because a star means power (negotiating, marketing etc.) that can be viewed as separate and apart independent to WWE. They want WWE and their universe to be the star with lots of interchangable characters that they control and replace without it affecting WWE

This is devastatingly true as it is sad. Well said mate.

Necro wrote: »
    It's the same age old issue with WWE in fairness. Their booking is abysmal granted but in particular babyfaces. WWE has lost the ability to build a proper babyface.

They're all the same carbon copy bull from 10 years ago that didn't even work at that time.

The only time they've done anything decent with a face is when they've transitioned from heel and been showing attitude, or have staggered onto it by accident (in the cases of Bryan and Becky)

Heels can have attitude and show more character.

Faces are all the same, cut the same promos, smile goofily and get on with it

They ruined Rollins' face push, they turned Balor into a smiling, collar flicking doofus, the list is endless.

Roman is doing well now because he's somewhere in between so can come away from the typical catchphrases; 'Believe That' and 'This is my yard now' and actually show part of himself rather than being a pandering, simpering buffoon like how WWE portray all the good guys.

Granted Roman is doing better, probably the hottest thing in WWE (which isnt saying much). But he will fall foul of some of the same problems.

The Big Dog has been replaced with Tribal Chief

Believe that is replaced with head of the table.

Both phrases will be run into the ground as they are repeated 15 times in a 3 min segment. The presentation sucks. Everything is a marketing device, nothing is organic and natural.

It wont be long before hes a heel buffoon no matter how good he is. Esp if hes made look weak against an aged Goldberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah no :(
    I liked him. Good actor too. Was in The Fifth Element.

Ah no :(
    I liked him. Good actor too. Was in The Fifth Element.

The Dark Knight too as a prisoner with a heart of gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Keith Lee needs refining but Nia Jax is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

You couldn't make the Keith Lee stuff up if you tried. That company is the pits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You couldn't make the Keith Lee stuff up if you tried. That company is the pits.

If only there was another viable alternative. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Keith Lee needs refining but Nia Jax is fine.

You know I'm almost certain they won't be happy until the have a show that the CW would proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

You know I'm almost certain they won't be happy until the have a show that the CW would proud of.

Damn it, something like this was said in Supergirl, way back in Season 1, when The Flash crossed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,272 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought he was older

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/current-plan-for-top-matches-at-wwe-wrestlemania-37/

Current plans for mania matches.. don’t click if you don’t want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

TimesArrow wrote: »
    https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/current-plan-for-top-matches-at-wwe-wrestlemania-37/

The thoughts of them doing Roman v goldberg instead of Roman v jey gives me all kinds of fuzzy feelings for getting rid of the sub. That's a ****ing disgrace.

Mind you I don't believe a word of it, that supposed triple threat gives it away.

There's something so admirable how the likes of new japan do things, laying out stories years in advance and having the confidence to follow through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

TimesArrow wrote: »

Grim stuff. Dump Brock from that one match and you might have something interesting. Everything else is the drizzling ****s.

Who is this even aimed at any more? Who sees that line-up and wants to sit through a 7 hour show to see any of it?

• Advertisement

Without fans, the spectacle of Mania is gone.

The barely got away with it in 2020. They will struggle making Mania feel special without fans.

Advertisement