Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What a cash grab by AMD 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Honestly I don't know if today initial price of RX6950XT costing over €1530 delivered and the RX6750XT costing over €720 was an error or an attempt to test the market. The big question is will those who paid the initial "wrong" price get a refund. Also somebody in Digital river or AMD needs to get thier arse kicked back to Maths classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Still in and around the same price as the old 6900 XT and the new 6950 XT's have faster memory so doesn't seem like a rip off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Excellent point.

I think they were doing exactly that, testing the water to see if they could get away with selling at those prices.

Today was a bad launch compared to previous launches where stock was gone within seconds, 45 mins later you could get into the store without the need for queuing and order either card if you desired.

Shows the market has had enough with crazy prices.

They "replaced" the RX 6800 with the vastly inferior RX 6750 XT for practically the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭SeanW

Crazy. It looks like AMD is trying to keep GPU prices high with this "refresh". Can't blame them for trying but it is kind of crappy.

But here's a quick tip if you're in the UK (or can use a Parcel Motel or something in the North) and looking for a high end AMD card, on Scan they have 6X50 XT variants for less money than the cheapest 6X00 XT. E.g. the cheapest 6950XT is cheaper than the cheapest 6900XT and the same is true v. the 6750 vs 6700. If you exclude the out of stock but cheaper variants of the 6600 XT and include only the ones available for purchase, it's also true there too.

Crazy. Although prices and availability seem to still be improving at the high end, the mid range seems to be still be a mess in both AMD and Nvidia.

I wish I could be as optimistic about the crazy prices. There was 550 cards each for sale today, the normal number for drop lately has been between 75 - 200 cards. Todays drop was chaotic, the queue paused and stop twice at least for about 20 minutes in total.

I got another instant queue this week (I must have a golden setup), initially the add to cart button didn't work. Then the queue paused for 10 minutes or so and the add to cart worked after that. Then when they figured they priced the cards wrong it paused again a second time for about 10 minutes. Despite this the RX6750XT sold out within the hour. I've no doubt the RX6950XT will be gone in a couple of days. They'll still manage to sell their weekly allocation so while it's not an instant empty shop it makes no difference to them.

Probably another drop this Thursday. Don't think I'll be around for that one.

RX 6950 XT still available 🤨

Either they got a huge shipment, or it's not selling as well as they hoped.

I think they got 550 RX6950XT's this week but it may have been more.

It was the same after last Tuesdays drop which included the RX6900XT, they where available sitting in the shop until Thursdays drop when everything was sold. People religiously try AMD every Thursday out of habit, not checking before hand for stock. It wouldn't surprise me if they were all gone by tomorrow afternoon/evening after people check in.

Also I only actually noticed they removed the rx6800xt as well as the rx6800 from the shop too !!! They were the most wanted and best value cards, I wonder if they'll be back ? The ones I got last Tuesday and Thursday may very well be the last !!! They where all delivered yesterday and today, I've to drive around Dublin to collect them after work. Hoping to pass them on the boards members but have a few friends and discord buddies interested too so they'll go quick enough

Post edited by Confused11811 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Or cause its a 1300 quid graphics card. Plenty of those in stock right now in pretty much all vendors.

• Advertisement

Queue-it codes haven't updated on the AMD website so It doesn't look like there will be a drop today. It does seems like the only the RX6750XT and RX6950XT will be availible going forward.

There's probably not much interest now but there was no drop today so it'll probably shift back to a Thursday drop. I've asked around and all indication are that just refresh editions will be on sale so unfortunately no more rx6800/XT's. For anyone interested I've just one rx6800xt left, three of them have gone to boards members or their friends in the last week :-) If anyone is interested in the last one please DM me.

Only RX6750XT dropped today along with the existing RX6950XT stock. About 1200 -1400 of each card available. They won't sell out and will be available for a good while.

Definitely the end of the RX6800 & RX6800XT direct from AMD

I just went on there now for a look and there are no 6900 XT's.

Sorry typo meant RX6950XT. No queue now , straight in using incognito mode too.

RX6750XT looks nice in all black but not worth that price

641.70 is a fair price for a card that outperforms the 3060 Ti by 10% especially since the Nvidia card struggles to be available under 600.

You have to include delivery which is about €27 .

This 6750 card on Amazon is cheaper and delivery €9 - https://www.amazon.de/-/en/RX-675XYLUDP/dp/B09ZHV5PN3/

That same seller who deals with XFX cards has 6700XT for €589 delivered. It's the first time in ages I can remember an AIB cheaper than direct AMD version. Alot of that has to do with the dollar to euro rate which added about 100-150 euro extra to GPU'S from AMD direct in the last 12-18 months.

Oh, when you put it that way, I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What?

R9 390 is evolving!

R9 390 evolved into 6950 XT!

6950 XT learned ray tracing!

It’s super effective!

@Overheal Red Devil RX6950XT ? Where did you get it ?

• Advertisement

What card do you have gaming at 4k? I had a 5700 XT when I was gaming at 4k a few years ago but I was actually pushing that card to the limit without realising it as when I got my 6900 XT over a year ago it played games much smoother than the 5700 XT. But I never realised when I was gaming with the 5700 XT it was only after getting the 6900 XT I noticed. I also upgraded to 4k 120 Hz so the 6900 XT was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Jon Doe

An AMD Vega 64. Played multiple runs of C2077 and AC Odyssey on 4K . The only precaution I took was to disable AA - which at 4K really doesn't matter. But other than that, the settings were all maxed out. But then again, I really don't notice any difference when frame rates go above 40... :( I think in that regard I'm normal but given how much emphasis everyone puts on very high frame rates, maybe my eyes are inferior to everyone else's... :P

I hope you don't mind me asking but what games were you playing to max out an 5700XT? Did you tried to disable some of the most expensive gizmos - such as AA? Heck if I were you I would drop the resolution to WQHD waaay before I would even dream of forking out a few more hundreds for a 6900XT...

I got mine in the US via Amazon. I would have normally used Newegg but... their shipping happens to be terrible too lol.

Newegg got them in stock at the same time but cleared out of them. Amazon still have them in stock. I had already leaned toward Red Devil design in the past so it seemed lucky, but I also would have taken another AiB card if it included the counter-rotating middle fan, I kind of wanted to keep about one. This doesn't have one, but it does have a middle fan than is smaller than the others, to keep the card within the maximum size constraint of more PC cases I suppose.

Keep in mind it's just a rebinned, overclocked version of a 2 year old chip, there's nothing new in the 6950 it's an overclocked 6900 XT. So that's going to ding demand (if I wasn't upgrading from such an old GPU, I might not have either - the R9 390 can still push frames plenty good, it simply had been pushed out to legacy support and newer games couldn't talk to it so good, it was at that point I was putting titles in my backlog because I didn't want to bother playing them before an upgrade).

Also it hits the market at the same time crypto is tanking, demand and supply of GPUs has therefore flipped, and if you want a used miner 6900 XT you'd get a much better bargain, there's not much physical wear and tear on the card from mining. And, if you're in the personal position to wait a few more weeks, even, I suspect used cards will start sitting below MSRP as bitcoin miners take real hits to their real wallets now that the Covid honeymoon for mining @ home has come to an end.

Me, I was fickle but predetermined to buy 1) new card, I break things, Murphy follows me around, I warranty 2) RDNA2 (it's an RDNA2 PC already) and 3) at (or below) MSRP. I didn't expect a 6950 XT to drop, or to be at MSRP, or for me to have, quite frankly, money in my accounts for this, but it all did, and based on my logic and compunction I already knew I preferred a higher end card because if you treat them well enough (they're rugged, these youtubers rip them apart all the time) they will perform great past the point of usefulness. Before I even knew about the 6950 I was looking at the cards when they hit MSRP and Amazon had a nice AIB 6900 for $1150 ($+150 MSRP) and then the Red Devil was just there for $50 more. There was certainly some impulse in my decision - I had gotten an AIB 6700 XT in my cart when they first launched and I stupidly thought about my purchase for more than a minute before the opportunity was lost. But thinking back, I just happened across the card on their site, I didn't have to stake out the launch-window. So I don't think the Velocity of the card is very fast in terms of sales. I wouldn't suggest rushing out to buy the 6950 XT since it's very likely you'll see used 6900 XTs go for a bargain and you can likely overclock those to a similar spec.

It pushes Star Citizen wonderfully: max 1080p is 45 FPS in Orison. If you know Orison, you know that's an impressive result (I have the 5600X, and yes, the Render Thread is still SC's bottleneck, the game is still heavily CPU bound). I'm sure I could get it to crank far higher frames but on my mere mortal 60 fps monitor I also checked it with Apex Legends, it of course doesn't break a sweat, but Apex also supports super resolution features and I have to say the whole battleground looks crispy, no overly anti-aliased fuzzy edges, no other bullshit, etc. owed to the card running laps around 1080p 60fps. Crysis Remastered is however just underwhelming, but that's EA's fault. It damn near sounded like it was having a stroke when it ran the 3D Mark test for laptops though - because it was pushing out OVER FIVE HUNDRED FRAMES PER SECOND. The coil whine was, understandably, immense. The literal circuitry is not anticipating being pushed that fast on the regular I guess.

Oh yeah: what did the 5600X and the r9 390 get in Orison? 4 frames per second. 😬

The Red Devil looks really nice and I've considered getting one but might see if the price drops a bit further. I really like the current XFX Merc design too , but it's a very long card so a case upgrade would be required for me.

Oh and just an update : - I passed on the last of the new RX6800XT to another boards member friend so they're all gone now :-) I do have a RX6800 I was going to use in a build but I think a RX6650XT would be more than enough for it. I can get the RX6650XT at a good price so I think I'll just return that RX6800 or offer it up to anyone here for MRSP. If anyone is interested go ahead and DM me, I'll hang onto it for another week before returning it to AMD

EDIT - The RX6800 is now gone to another boards member :-)

The Red Devil has a nice ARGB system and a nice strong backplate and zero bullshit blocking its no-bullshit heat block from sinking heat. So much heat comes out the side I can warm my hand on the case glass, when it gets really going that is

Ghostrunner at 1080p RTX looks great, the card struggled to do FSR above 1.0 though (supersampling resolution). Red Dead Redemption 2 looks incredible and smooth, extreme texture filtering means every cliff face is as in high detail view as if you were walking on top of it in the game - the details don't just blob off as smooth grayness the farther you got away anymore. Didn't hear the card at all during RDR2 but when I shut it down it was quite warm to the touch of the case.

Then again I was watching HD Last Week Tonight via HBO on a 2nd screen, it might hate this setup when 1 is HDMI and the other is DP

Post edited by Overheal on

AMD set to drop at 16:30 so queue could start in another 10 minutes or so. It seems strange they are doing this when there is plenty of stock in the shop already. Unless they've a few RX6800/XT's to drop or maybe they're contracted to use queue-it at least once a week.

EDIT - So nothing happened after all.... Queue-it and AMD must be updating event ID's weekly without running the queue. Ah well , its not like were stuck for options elsewhere now

Was wondering why my office was so warm this morning

My lifetime folding score has doubled since getting the 6950 XT 9 days ago and I'm getting vastly more complex models to fold.

Mind you I never folded a lot, but that represents weeks, maybe months of solid folding previously

LTT also ran a video yesterday on their channel to remind me to enable Smart Access Memory now that I have a complete RDNA2 platform. A quick (5 mins) change of the partition from NTFS to GPT/UEFI and 2 buttons in the bios and boom, the OS has gone from being able to access 256MB of VRAM to now 16GB. Plus, did some autotuning of the OC in the Radeon panel. Saw a noticeable uplift in Star Citizen, even the chuggiest parts of Orison now rarely if ever dip below 30 FPS, and 50-60 capped (60Hz) FPS is often seen now. SC is unoptimized alpha hot mess, but this is an accomplishment. Star Citizen to me is the new Crysis of benchmarking.

(Lorville, Hurston. Drake Mule and Drake Cutlass) - I didn't have an Orison screenshot saved up; but even Hurston has the volumetric cloud tech now and driving out in the tundra outside Lorville was a choppy unplayable mess before the card upgrade. Quite smooth now and all on max settings!

Post edited by Overheal on

• Advertisement

With the increase in available GPU's I decided to downgrade my secondary rig. I sold my RX6800XT MB edition to a discord friend. Even with the current market it's an in-demand GPU, this combined with inflation increase since I bought it meant I made a good bit of a profit on selling it. That profit was offset against the cost of a XFX 6700 XT Qick 319 black edition. It's absolutely huge, looks well in the case.

I installed it earlier today and it's super cool and running extremely quiet (I mean whisper quiet). It's still probably very much overkill for my requirements but I'm happy.

Advertisement