Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Vega should be fine for another year, looking at benchmark's in recent game it generally out performs the GTX 1080. Still quite good for 1080p and 1440p gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ye are wasting black Friday chasing these yokes down. Improve other aspects of your rig and grab a gpu later. That's what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Azza wrote: »
    Vega should be fine for another year, looking at benchmark's in recent game it generally out performs the GTX 1080. Still quite good for 1080p and 1440p gaming.

Which Vega?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well if what HW Unboxed is saying is true then AMD are lower then a snakes belly.....underdog for so long and now with a chance to impress they go after the almighty dollar and **** everyone over!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Andrew76 wrote: »
    $800 MSRP for the Powercolor unavailable edition.

der8auer got his to 2.7GHz core on only 50% fan speed.

It would be great IF THEY EXISTED OUTSIDE YOUTUBE INFLUENCERS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

SickBoy wrote: »
    Which Vega?

Vega 64 is on generally on par with GTX 1080.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It would be great IF THEY EXISTED OUTSIDE YOUTUBE INFLUENCERS.

Thankfully I'm not in the market for the latest and greatest GPU but yeah, unless you're a name on YouTube there doesn't seem to be much chance of buying them at a reasonable price.

Hardware Unboxed had another recent video with the other chap talking about the current lack of cards - sounds like it will months into next year before there's decent availability. Sure you can see it with folks on here posting updates on their queue position - barely moving.

I'm not familiar with these yearly (?) GPU cycles - was it just as crap as last year or is covid making it worse than normal?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with these yearly (?) GPU cycles - was it just as crap as last year or is covid making it worse than normal?

It's crap each time, but this time it is even sihtter.

COVID has disrupted all shipments - fewer air passengers leads to less air traffic, which affects air freight, which affects regular (boat) shipping.

Although I will admit that high-end GPUs have definitely been getting harder & harder to acquire - first it was crypto-mining, now it's scalper bots & low availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Rezident

Azza wrote: »

Yes it is fine at 1440p, this is exactly why I got a really good 1440p screen instead of 4k - having to upgrade gpu all the time would be a right pain, especially now! 1440p still feels great coming from 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Rezident

COVID has disrupted all shipments - fewer air passengers leads to less air traffic, which affects air freight, which affects regular (boat) shipping.

Although I will admit that high-end GPUs have definitely been getting harder & harder to acquire - first it was crypto-mining, now it's scalper bots & low availability.

Yields at 7nm must be low too plus I heard the Chinese are charging loads extra for shipping containers now due to COVID. It's a perfect storm, every part of the value chain was hit, and sellers were apparently not getting good margins on reference cards even at these massively inflated prices. It's nuts.

Rezident wrote: »
    Yields at 7nm must be low too plus I heard the Chinese are charging loads extra for shipping containers now due to COVID. It's a perfect storm, every part of the value chain was hit, and sellers were apparently not getting good margins on reference cards even at these massively inflated prices. It's nuts.

At present, the TMSC 7nm is well established process and yields are high. Last 18 months they were already pretty good - AMD waited almost a year to gather enough bad silicon to release the 3100 and 3300x CPU that use those bad dies. Once those sold out, they are nowhere to be seen again.

The problem is there is massive demand for it and AMD wasn't even in top 5 consumers of TMSC 7nm. Apple, Huawei / HiSilicon, Qualcomm, Supermicro and MediaTek were in 2020H1. Apple since moved to 5nm, but you get the idea.

Within capacity available for them, AMD must decide weather to make chips for PS5, Xbox, Zen3 or RDNA2. They have contractual obligations with Sony and Microsoft. A Ryzen 5800x uses ~75mm2 of 7nm waffle, while RX6800 is ~520mm2. One 6800/6800xt uses as much capacity as 7 Zen3 5800x/5600x. Which one would you give priority to?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I have an order in for a Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+( I am living Denmark) I dont know where i am in the que but it costs 7099 danish kroner thats 953 euro or (Wait For it) 1136 US dollars. ��Think I'll just cancel

pogcica wrote: »
    I have an order in for a Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+( I am living Denmark) I dont know where i am in the que but it costs 7099 danish kroner thats 953 euro or (Wait For it) 1136 US dollars. ��Think I'll just cancel

That's a disgusting amount to pay for a 6800xt

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

[QUOTEThat's a disgusting amount to pay for a 6800xt][/QUOTE]

yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Other goods don’t seem to be facing the same supply issues though? The new consoles are sold out alright but Xboxes still seem to be popping up and Sony are at least saying they have more on the way. The Switch hasn’t been out of stock since about April with Fortnite/Animal Crossing SKUs being released and I picked up an Oculus Quest 2 easy enough after launch. Tvs and monitors seem okayish as well?

Regardless this was an absolute disaster for AMD. At least nvidia actually had cards to buy :rolleyes:

That's a disgusting amount to pay for a 6800xt

Nobody is forcing anybody. The demand is there, so the short supply will demand premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

air freight reduced, yes, higher cost yes

seafreight issues not so much, covid impacted far east but those vessels have space for containers full, except they arent being produced in volume to send

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

BArra wrote: »
    air freight reduced, yes, higher cost yes

seafreight issues not so much, covid impacted far east but those vessels have space for containers full, except they arent being produced in volume to send

Yes and no. At my work place we have problems now with suplying basic production materials, the whole covid thing messed up not only production of them but transport as well. From some suppliers we are getting info about wait times of couple of weeks and even months, thanks to backorder.
    Add to that rise in sales, interest in new cpu/gpu and we end at the whole mess we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My sister also said there are delays in her job receiving items. Before covid this wasn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Other goods don’t seem to be facing the same supply issues though? The new consoles are sold out alright but Xboxes still seem to be popping up and Sony are at least saying they have more on the way. The Switch hasn’t been out of stock since about April with Fortnite/Animal Crossing SKUs being released and I picked up an Oculus Quest 2 easy enough after launch. Tvs and monitors seem okayish as well?

Regardless this was an absolute disaster for AMD. At least nvidia actually had cards to buy :rolleyes:

Microsoft and Sony are key customers for AMD semi-custom business, which needs to show bulletproof reliability all the time if they want to win new server contracts. If they screwed over the millions of PS/Xbox order stream to flog a few tens of thousands of Vega 2... it would not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Big difference to me is AMD reps saying that the 6800 cards would be shipped en mass. And then retailers saying cards are delivered in the single digits from the distribution channels.

So even if Covid messed up the ability to make the GPU's, the statements from AMD reps were untruthful and the release date was completely unrealistic.

TBH I don't know why AMD scheduled all these launches for the same month in the first place. Even if you wanted to launch Zen 3 + Vega 2 together, why choose the same month that Xbox and PS are launching?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

TBH I don't know why AMD scheduled all these launches for the same month in the first place. Even if you wanted to launch Zen 3 + Vega 2 together, why choose the same month that Xbox and PS are launching?

Maybe they got confirmation from Tsmc that the stock will be ready and available? But in the end they couldnt output the target amount of units?
    Besides its Christmas, one of best times for sales.

Great engineering, not so great planning.

It's Navi, not Vega

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hindsight is great innit!

I really wished I just waited to build my new rig till Q2 next year at least I would be able to enjoy it in FULL.

As much as I want a new GPU, on principle alone I am not paying €900 for a 6800XT....AMD have really gone done in my books, they make nVidia look good at this rate.

It's Navi, not Vega

I honestly can't be bothered to keep track of codenames.

grogi wrote: »
    Great engineering, not so great planning.

I'm sure the reason is that they needed to stick to 2020 to meet their financial statements of "launch", similar to how intel officially "launched" 10nm in time to avoid technically breaching their comments to stockholders, but there was effectively no stock.

However wafer starts needed to be done months ago in order for card manufacture never mind distribution, so either AMD/TSMC are sitting on fabbed silicon they can't attach to boards or can't attach to distribution (or both), or they never had enough wafer starts in the first place. Either way, they could have just said "Covid! Sorry!" and avoided a PR debacle. Having your marketing people crowing over nvidia's paper launch was a big mistake.

• Advertisement

I honestly can't be bothered to keep track of codenames.

Vega cards were literally called Vega 56 & Vega 64.

RX 6800 are Big Navi.

Advertisement