Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most gender equal countries have the unhappiest women?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why are people continuing to discuss something that's of no relevance to the article?
    Because people want to shoehorn their hobbyhorse into threads whenever possible.

We even got the Muslims shoehorned into this one, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

@Wibbs This doesn't require some cabal of lizard men from mars to run, no conspiracy needed, it it just gets that way in society over time @wibbs

You know, there is a creepy valance to the world. Food has gotten cheaper in the last 10-15 years, but rents have gotten higher to fill the gap.if you have free healthcare, products are more expensive and vice versa.

I've travelled a little bit, and its surprising how similar everybody's quality of life is at the average salary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

@Wibbs This doesn't require some cabal of lizard men from mars to run, no conspiracy needed, it it just gets that way in society over time @wibbs

You know, there is a creepy valance to the world. Food has gotten cheaper in the last 10-15 years, but rents have gotten higher to fill the gap.if you have free healthcare, products are more expensive and vice versa.

I've travelled a little bit, and its surprising how similar everybody's quality of life is at the average salary.
    That's a good point R and I'd agree. Even though the average middle income family in say Ireland, Sweden and the US have quite different costs for things like healthcare, housing and the like, the leeway for extras is roughly the same alright. Though I would argue that quality of life would vary in some ways. EG Sweden has far more social safety nets than the US so the average person has much less to worry about on that score, which affects quality of life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

The single biggest stressor I'm seeing is a drastic rise in the cost of housing. None of our ancestors in the modern era faced these kinds of barriers to housing. You're really looking at having almost wound the clock back to Edwardian times in many respects.

The countries on that list are all wealthy and all facing a situation where a younger generation has, in some ways, worse prospects than their parents and that's largely down to unaffordable housing.

I think you're likely showing a correlation rather than a causation. The countries that are most gender equal are generally wealthier and have generally been impacted more dramatically with some of these issues where the ability to achieve basic life goals - a roof over your head have been quite dramatically reduced.

Then you've things like the miserable, dystopian right wing populist movements that just press all the fear and hate buttons. Even if they're not in your country you're listening to Trump, Brexiteers, Marine Le Pen and their followers ranting away 24/7 on social media. The sense that there's sensible leadership gone. The world looks like chaos.

I mean imagine if your entire adult life were a world of Trumpian politics? It would be hopeless and frightening. It's not like the 60s and 70s where you'd an optimistic youth movement rising against a conservative established. Rather, you've a pessimistic, reactionary and socially regressive group pushing back against a progressive establishment in many countries. Ireland's an exception to that, but it's a big issue in the US, UK, France, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Germany etc and it's one I don't think many people have experienced in decades. It's very similar to what went on on the 1920s - a rise of the far right after a period of dramatic social and technological progress. It might not result in the same level or extremes this time. I don't think you're going to see any mainstream country turn into a fascist dictatorship but it's still rocking a lot of things to the core and not in a good way.

Then you've social media and, for younger people, that is huge. If grew up in the 90s or early 00s you aren't likely to see social media as more than a tool. Many of them see if as life and where social interaction happens and it is often absolutely vicious a it's viewed through the heightened emotions of teenagers who don't have much perspective a lot of that time. From what I can see that impacts young women disproportionately because there's already huge peer pressure about looks and so on, add selfies and constant peer review to that and you've a big problem.

What a ridiculous explanation of recent events. Donald Trump was elected, despite his many many flaws because of an anemic economy. Hillary lead Trump in every category during the election (experience, presidential etc) except one, jobs and economy. People saw a Billionaire who had on balance created thousands of jobs and wealth, versus a career politician. So they took a punt and so far it’s worked out spectacularly, I think his economy has just broken its 19th record. Nothing to do with fascism or racism, the people who handed him victory were in counties the voted for Obama twice.

As for Brexit, you’ll find almost as many labour and left wing EU critics in uk. The UK was a bad fit for the EEC because of its strong currency and then the EU because of its historical separation from Europe and having the mother of all parliaments being subservient to Brussels was just unacceptable. In short it was always going to end. Again nothing to do with right wing/Nazis etc etc.

The pushback on Feminism and PC was is also not some right wing conspiracy. It’s a logical reaction to a toxic ideology of suppressing free speech and any criticism of certain groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

vladmydad wrote: »
    What a ridiculous explanation of recent events. Donald Trump was elected, despite his many many flaws because of an anemic economy. Hillary lead Trump in every category during the election (experience, presidential etc) except one, jobs and economy. People saw a Billionaire who had on balance created thousands of jobs and wealth, versus a career politician. So they took a punt and so far it’s worked out spectacularly, I think his economy has just broken its 19th record. Nothing to do with fascism or racism, the people who handed him victory were in counties the voted for Obama twice.

As for Brexit, you’ll find almost as many labour and left wing EU critics in uk. The UK was a bad fit for the EEC because of its strong currency and then the EU because of its historical separation from Europe and having the mother of all parliaments being subservient to Brussels was just unacceptable. In short it was always going to end. Again nothing to do with right wing/Nazis etc etc.

The pushback on Feminism and PC was is also not some right wing conspiracy. It’s a logical reaction to a toxic ideology of suppressing free speech and any criticism of certain groups.

Did you a actually read the post I made or just go off on a rant about fascism? My post was almost entirely about economics and income equality / housing issues triggering events in politics and the rise of right leaning populism and I was writing about three different countries.

Incidentally, every time far right populism has emerged, it's been triggered by socioeconomic issues being responded to by a blame someone else quick fix.

The US suffered from anemic growth because of the 2008 crash. It was already well into recovery by the time the Trump administration came into office. We'll see the outcome of trump's policies probably more so this year and into 2020.

• Advertisement
Advertisement