Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan kills a dog in Dublin Park

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't blame the Swan.

I was in the zoo last Saturday and on the loop of the African plains there was a swan and cignets on the pond. we were sitting close enough they were behind fence, I told my girls to stay back, this guy and his kids went up to the fence and goaded the swan putting his hand close to him, I just got away from this idiot, I seen him 20 mins later roaring at some other amimal, ****ing idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Shemale wrote: »
    Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just because YOU know something you shouldn't assume everyone does.
    A lot of people approach animals they shouldn't - deer in the park, seals on the beach because they just don't realise the danger.
    You better believe this owner is kicking himself for what happened & in hindsight will never let a dog of his near a swan again, he has learned a harsh lesson the hard way.

Its laughable you are blaming a wild animal for this dog being killed, the owner was stupid enough to let his dog swim into danger, and if the owner was one of the few that didnt know about swans he didnt think of checking on his phone first.

That's the thing though, unlike yourself I'm not blaming anyone.
    The owner didn't take his dog out to be killed, the dog didn't set out to die & the swan did what it felt it must in defence of its young.
    This is an animal forum so the dangers of swans might be better known but outside of that alot of people only see swans as magestic, mild mannered birds they bring their small children to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

DBB wrote: »

Alright folks,
    The above will be the last of the bitchy, snipey comments that this thread has become full of.
    I must, as I have had to do many times, remind posters that there is a sticky near the top of the forum page to let people know we don't accept posters being nasty or disrespectful towards one another. You don't have to agree with one another, but if you don't agree, you do have to debate your point in a way that's respectful towards the other poster.
    If you find yourself in a position that you can't be respectful towards the other human being that you're addressing, then don't post. It's really that simple.
    Thanks.
    DBB

How is that bitchy. It’s grand I won’t post again if people are offended that easily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How is that bitchy. It’s grand I won’t post again if people are offended that easily.

Dodderangler.
    Two things.
    1. If you think your reply is respectful towards the person you're addressing, then you need to think about whether this forum suits your posting style, or, change your tone accordingly. Yours was the last of a number of posts made by several different posters, it must be pointed out... You're not alone.
    2. You are on Boards well, well long enough to know that you don't argue with mods on-thread. Please take it to pm if you wish to comment further.
    Thanks.
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I’m sad for the dog what happened but swan was simply protecting its young, the same as any other species who have young when they see a threat. A dog swimming near it would be seen as massive threat, many swans are attacked by dogs as people don’t keep them on lead near wild life. Swans often are put to sleep or displaced as they’ve been attacked by off lead dogs.

Feel sympathy for owner as it would have been very traumatic for him to witness. I’d imagine it was very quick for the poor dog to pass. owner may not have known there were swans or ducks nearby.

People need to keep dogs under control in public places , near wildlife and livestock . I often see dogs off lead in my area near ducks and swans. Swans were badly mauled last year and the first breeding pair in area in nearly 90 years.

People don’t realise that not everyone likes dogs either. My friend actually avoids walking in certain areas with her kid in a local park as she’s nervous of all the off-lead dogs approaching her kid. Another friend owns a restricted breed that she has muzzled and on lead and has constant problems with off lead dogs approaching it, the owners always say, “it’s ok my dog is friendly”. But it scares her dog. Other dogs are reactive and off lead dogs approaching cause massive stress to owner and dog and cause the dog to be stressed for days after a walk.

Off lead dogs that aren’t under close supervision and control also cause enormous damage to hoglets, fledglings and any other young wildlife. Farmers have huge problems with livestock as some people don’t keep dogs on lead near their livestock. It doesn’t matter if they don’t bite or directly attack the sheep, a dog being loose in the area is enough to cause stress and kill the sheep. They are forced to shoot dogs which isn’t something they want to do.

Hopefully this sad incident will raise awareness to keep dogs on lead or under control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement