Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan kills a dog in Dublin Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The dog was off lead during a period when it was allowed. Most Dublin parks have allocated times of the day when dogs are allowed to run off lead, its not any secret. The dog was swimming (as spaniels love to do) which is probably why he didn't respond to the owner's recall immediately.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I know where my sympathies lie. With the poor animal that was killed by a vicious wild bird and it's poor owner who had to watch it happen.

It was a horrible thing to happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I will never understand people jumping to judgement when a tragedy happens.
    This owner has learned a valuable lesson the hard way. He was hardly committing a moral sin walking his dog off leash during a time when it was permitted. The dog went for a swim, which he had probably done hundreds of times without incident & paid the ultimate price.
    Hindsight is always 20 20 as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AulWan wrote:
    These beasts are vicious and attack unprovoked. They should be kept penned in.

You do understand they are wild and you are in their environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ms2011 wrote: »
    This owner has learned a valuable lesson the hard way. He was hardly committing a moral sin walking his dog off leash during a time when it was permitted. The dog went for a swim, which he had probably done hundreds of times without incident & paid the ultimate price.

Having your dog off lead during the allowed times does not excuse you from having the dog under effectual control. Also swans like many wild species are protected.

If I went into then lions enclosure in Dublin zoo I'm likely to be killed by my own stupidity - its not "learning a lesson the hard way" it'd be my own stupid fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its sad but sh*t happens - swans are agressive but thats just nature. They have to be as there nesting habit leaves them vulnereable to all sorts of potential egg and chick predators. In some parts of Europe its now possible to encounter the likes of wolves and wild boar in public parks(even near city centres like Rome, Berlin etc.), and i can tell you the latter wouldn't be shy sorting you out after its finished with your dog, especcially if you get between it and its young!!

• Advertisement

Bushy Park is not "the wild" and is a public amenity, meant for the enjoyment of humans and their children and their dogs too.

What if it was a child it had attacked? Would you be so blase about it then?

In my opinion swans shouldn't be kept iin public parks at all, but confined to bird sanctuarys.

AulWan wrote:
    Bushy Park is not "the wild" and is a public amenity, meant for the enjoyment of humans and their children and their dogs too.

The swan and the other creatures living there don't understand this concept.
    AulWan wrote:
    I would actually if the parents were to stupid not to tell the child of the danger of a swan. Equally a child can be attacked by a dog not under cintrol
    AulWan wrote:
    In my opinion swans shouldn't be kept iin public parks at all, but confined to bird sanctuarys.

Thankfully your opinion will carry no wait with the parks services.They are not kept, something you seem to fail understand.

tk123 wrote: »

Having your dog off lead during the allowed times does not excuse you from having the dog under effectual control. Also swans like many wild species are protected.

If I went into then lions enclosure in Dublin zoo I'm likely to be killed by my own stupidity - its not "learning a lesson the hard way" it'd be my own stupid fault.
    Where did it say the dog wasn't under effective control?
    From what I read the dog was killed before it or it's owner knew what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just because you couldn't see a cygnet doesn't mean there wasn't one, btw I hope you weren't feeding the ducks bread.

Really. So a cygnet was hiding in a bush in January huh.
    Try being more realistic if you’re going to try be smart towards me

From what I read the dog was killed before it or it's owner knew what was going on.

Well the article in the OP states ‘A man who was feeding the ducks at the far end of the pond, said he heard the dog’s owner shouting in attempt to get her attention.’ ... the owner wasn’t able to get the dog out of the water and stop it swimming towards the swans..

• Advertisement

That’s rubbish to say. I was attacked by one while feeding other ducks. No cygnets around. They’re bad tempered no matter what

Really. So a cygnet was hiding in a bush in January huh. Try being more realistic if you’re going to try be smart towards me

No mention of the time of year you claimed to be attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

How is it hindsight?

Swans are huge white birds swimming on the water
    Swans are unbelievably protective of cygnets
    Swans are very strong and can do some damage

I wouldnt let a big dog I owned near a swan nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

No mention of the time of year you claimed to be attacked.

Does it matter. Im well aware of my species and where to approach animals. No matter what the species.
    You claiming a cygnet was around against my intelligence is just completely ignorant. I won’t be replying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

AulWan wrote: »

You think they were tame swams?

Only an imbecile would let a dog, nevermind a child near nesting swans

Well the article in the OP states ‘A man who was feeding the ducks at the far end of the pond, said he heard the dog’s owner shouting in attempt to get her attention.’ ... the owner wasn’t able to get the dog out of the water and stop it swimming towards the swans..

The owner was mostly likely shouting in panic when they realised what was happening but the dog may well not have heard him especially in water, think of when you are swimming, can you hear sounds as well as if you were standing still.

I don't think there is such thing as a tame swan. They're all vicious. If a dog did what this swan did, there would be calls for it to be destroyed.

So, round them up and put them in a sanctuary somewhere, and then they can nest wherever they want in safety where they can't attack any other human or beast who accidentally stumbles "too close".

End of story.

Shemale wrote: »

How is it hindsight?

Swans are huge white birds swimming on the water
    Swans are unbelievably protective of cygnets
    Swans are very strong and can do some damage

I wouldnt let a big dog I owned near a swan nest.

Just because YOU know something you shouldn't assume everyone does.
    A lot of people approach animals they shouldn't - deer in the park, seals on the beach because they just don't realise the danger.
    You better believe this owner is kicking himself for what happened & in hindsight will never let a dog of his near a swan again, he has learned a harsh lesson the hard way.

The owner was mostly likely shouting in panic when they realised what was happening but the dog may well not have heard him especially in water, think of when you are swimming, can you hear sounds as well as if you were standing still.

Well dogs have better hearing than humans lol and the dogs head would be above water? My dogs can hear me fine when they’re swimming..and they’re also trained to recall to a whistle immediately as in they stop what they’re doing and come back. I always have at least one whistle with me as I have one in my walking belt and another on my keys.

The dog may have heard his owner's calls but still not had time to get away from the swan bearing down on it. Dogs are not exactly known for being the fastest of swimmers.

Certainly not as fast as a swan. I hope the poor creature at least died quickly.

The dog may have heard his owner's calls but still not had time to get away from the swan bearing down on it. Dogs are not exactly known for being the fastest of swimmers.

Certainly not as fast as a swan. I hope the poor creature at least died quickly.

The dog swam at the swan...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Dogs are surrogate children for some people, which leads to over attachment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

More cygnets are being killed by mink than anything else. Think we should concentrate on that more than dogs

You have absolutely nothing to back that up!

In urban areas, two of the main causes of death of Swans are dogs and cats. Around Dublin loads of Swans are killed each year by dogs, but it happening the other way around is a rare occurrence.

Well dogs have better hearing than humans lol and the dogs head would be above water? My dogs can hear me fine when they’re swimming..and they’re also trained to recall to a whistle immediately as in they stop what they’re doing and come back. I always have at least one whistle with me as I have one in my walking belt and another on my keys.

I realise dogs have better hearing than people but the owners calls would still be muffled by splashing & surrounding noise caused by on lookers panicking.
    My dogs have an excellent recall too thankfully but it only takes one time for them not to listen for tragedy to strike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I don't think there is such thing as a tame swan. They're all vicious. If a dog did what this swan did, there would be calls for it to be destroyed.

So, round them up and put them in a sanctuary somewhere, and then they can nest wherever they want in safety where they can't attack any other human or beast who accidentally stumbles "too close".

End of story.

Dogs attack swans every day if the week around Dublin. Several swans are killed as a result each year. Should we round all the dogs up, put them in sanctuary somewhere and people can go visit them there if they want to play with them etc?

My brother was pecked by a swan in Bushy Park many years ago - you might be shocked to learn that he survived!

You'll also be really shocked to hear that Swans can fly! We could put them all in a sanctuary but they wouldn't be there long...

I think most people, and I'm sure the dog owner included, wouldn't want anything done to the swans and would just chalk it down to a very unfortunate incident. Hopefully though, it will serve as a valuable reminder to people to keep their dog under control around wildlife. It's not too much to ask!

Dogs attack swans every day if the week around Dublin. Several swans are killed as a result each year. Should we round all the dogs up, put them in sanctuary somewhere and people can go visit them there if they want to play with them etc?

Well apparantely swans kept in public parks are wild, so as such would it not be safer for them to be placed in a bird sanctuary?

That way they are safe from dog attacks, and everything else is safe from being attacked by them. Kill two birds with one stone. (No pun intended).

Dogs are considered domesticated animals, and live with humans. Plus, they are more fun to play with then swans.

Just because you couldn't see a cygnet doesn't mean there wasn't one, btw I hope you weren't feeding the ducks bread.

Does it matter. Im well aware of my species and where to approach animals. No matter what the species. You claiming a cygnet was around against my intelligence is just completely ignorant. I won’t be replying to you.

Since you did not state the time of year I assumed it was during this time of year , when cygnets are about May/July.
    Only one person as you stated trying to be smart here and I can assure you it's not me. That's fine I'm quite happy for you not to reply considering the manner in which you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

This is only a story cause it's an oddity, as it's much more common for Dogs to kill swans.

The swan in the water had a much greater advantage in a fight. Dogs have become an annoyance in public and most people have had incidents where dogs have acted aggressively much more so than swans.

When there are Swans in parks i will keep my distance and not interfere and i have not had issue, same cannot be said for dogs.

AulWan wrote:

I would be in favour of banning dogs from this park and telling humans to beware of the swans. Wildlife is under enough pressure from mankind without further curtailment of their environment due to the stupidity of irresponsible pet owners .

• Advertisement

Of course you would. You've shown no sympathy or empathy for the dog or their owner since the start of the thread, and admitted you were blase about the death of the dog and the owners distress.

As a matter of interest, have you ever been attacked by a swan?

Advertisement