Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan kills a dog in Dublin Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

AulWan wrote: »
    Dogs attack swans every day if the week around Dublin. Several swans are killed as a result each year. Should we round all the dogs up, put them in sanctuary somewhere and people can go visit them there if they want to play with them etc?

Well apparantely swans kept in public parks are wild, so as such would it not be safer for them to be placed in a bird sanctuary?

Birds are not placed in bird sanctuaries.

Places used by large numbers of wild birds are identified, and following that are designated as protected areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AulWan wrote:
    As a matter of interest, have you ever been attacked by a swan?

No but I live in a town( Athlone) where there are plenty of swans and learnt from a young age that while they are a beautiful creature they are also very territorial and dangerous when they have young. Only a fool does not respect wild creatures no matter how 'cute' they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Tymon North just up the road is a man made park that was originally established as a bird santuary.

Not the other way around.

No but I live in a town( Athlone) where there are plenty of swans and learnt from a young age that while they are a beautiful creature they are also very territorial and dangerous when they have young. Only a fool does not respect wild creatures no matter how 'cute' they look.

Well there you go then.

I was attacked by a swan simply for walking by them on my way to school and almost lost an eye for it, so maybe if you'd ever been on the receiving end of their viciousness, you'd think differently about them.

I certainly don't think there is anything beautiful or cute about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am open to correction but should dogs not be on a line in Bushy Park ?

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote:
    Well there you go then.

I was never attacked as my parents until I was old enough to know better myself did not allow me near them or walked me close to their habitat
    AulWan wrote:
    I was attacked by a swan simply for walking by them on my way to school and almost lost an eye for it, so maybe if you'd ever been on the receiving end of their viciousness, you'd think differently about them.

You were attacked because the swan precieved you as a threat/ intruder in its territory.
    AulWan wrote:
    That's fine but swans are recognised as being a beautiful and graceful creature, which is part of the reasons as to why people do not accord them the respect they warrant.
    I will leave at that, I'm sorry you were attacked but you learnt a valuable lesson that has stayed with you.
    I suffered a bad attack from a dog, scars all over my legs I learnt that all dogs are capable of attack and to learn the tells. Usually a snarl is enough to alert a person that the dog wants you to leave, likewise a swan will hiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The swan in question should be moved to a different parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

Well there you go then.

Seriously :pac: I'm sure it was traumatic for you at the time and has obviously had a lasting effect on you but the simple fact is that you walked too close. They are wild animals and they were doing what wild animals do which is to defend their territory. Swans are beautiful creatures and have been revered as such for a long bloody time, they are also loving, they mate for life and they give their babies rides on their backs. It is silly that you would hold a grudge and try to say that swans are vicious and try to deny their renowned beauty when they were behaving like the rest of the animal kingdom behaves. The swan didn't know you were just walking to school, it saw you as being a threat as you were too close.

The swan in question should be moved to a different parish.

Or dogs should be kept out of the park failing that on a lead at all times.

I was never attacked as my parents until I was old enough to know better myself did not allow me near them or walked me close to their habitat

My mother and I were walking to school on a public footpath alongside the canal in a residential area. We were not "in their territory". The swan came up out of the canal and onto the path and attacked us. But don't let that deter you from now trying to imply my parents were somehow being irresponsible.

• Advertisement

Seriously :pac: I'm sure it was traumatic for you at the time and has obviously had a lasting effect on you but the simple fact is that you walked too close. They are wild animals and they were doing what wild animals do which is to defend their territory. Swans are beautiful creatures and have been revered as such for a long bloody time, they are also loving, they mate for life and they give their babies rides on their backs. It is silly that you would hold a grudge and try to say that swans are vicious and try to deny their renowned beauty when they were behaving like the rest of the animal kingdom behaves. The swan didn't know you were just walking to school, it saw you as being a threat as you were too close.

Where you there?

AulWan wrote:
    My mother and I were walking to school on a public footpath alongside the canal in a residential area. We were not "in their territory". The swan came up out of the canal and onto the path and attacked us. But don't let that deter you from now trying to imply my parents were somehow being irresponsible.

I'm not having a to and fro with you as it seems it would be a pointless exercise. The very fact that the swan attacked you indicates that the swan saw you as a threat/ intruder. The swan does not make a distinction between a canal/footpath/ residential area. You and your mother were in its habitat whether you wish to accept this or not.
    I won't be responding to you any further. Goodbye.

Well to the swan you were in his territory , he knows only that he lives there and protects himself from danger

Thank God. It's honestly a bit much when posters who weren't there start telling me what happened the day I was attacked, and implying my parents were the irresponsible ones.

I walked that path every day for years, both before and after the incident, no idea what could have been so very very different about that particular day that the swan suddenly decided I was a threat, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Shemale wrote: »
    What did the owner expect letting their dog swim over to the nest of a family of swans?

I'll tell you one thing he didn't expect and that was for the dog to be beaten to death by the swan. You're clearly a veteran though of such incidents and don't seem surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These "wild creatures" are vicious and a danger and maybe it's others creatures who need protection from them. They should be kept fenced in.

See, theres an issue with things that can fly and fences................

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'll tell you one thing he didn't expect and that was for the dog to be beaten to death by the swan. You're clearly a veteran though of such incidents and don't seem surprised at all.

Well he should have expected it to be honest . Anyone should know that a nesting bird or animal with young will protect them to the death
    My own husband used to say I was like a mother tiger if my babies were ever in harms way !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s a lot worse going on in the world than a dog being killed by a swan, who was protecting its family. Might be harsh for some people to realize that’s nature, and they’re animals, not humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well he should have expected it to be honest . Anyone should know that a nesting bird or animal with young will protect them to the death
    My own husband used to say I was like a mother tiger if my babies were ever in harms way !

Ah come on...do you think he brought the dog to the park expecting it to happen? Really?

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Ah come on...do you think he brought the dog to the park expecting it to happen? Really?

No , but if he lets his dog into a lake where swans nest he should be aware the dog is in danger . I wouldn’t let my kids near an animal with young . I thought that was just common sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

All dogs' humans should know that swans hate dogs. And yeah, they'll go well out of their way to have a go at a dog even if the dog's human doesn't see the dog as threatening the swan. I suppose it's not the kind of thing that's beaten into you in school but it should be made a matter of broad public knowledge to stop this kind of thing happening because it does happen quite a lot.

^^This.

I can't specifically remember my parents ever telling me that swans were dangerous but it's something I've always known. I know they've definitely drowned dogs (Mr Google will back that up) but I'm very sceptical about them breaking humans' arms with their wings. I've seen enough of swans and dogs interacting to know I'd never allow a dog go that near them. They're vicious b'stards and they do not like dogs. Unlike some people here, I have a lot of sympathy for the dog's owner. The poor animal paid a high price and I'm sure the owner is now full of guilt. If any good comes of this at all, it might be that people who didn't know that swans can kill dogs might think twice before letting their pets go for a swim. Not just in parks but in rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's been known for decades that even for humans to approach Swans on the nest or with cygnets is foolhardy. Feel sorry for the dog but its owners shouldn't have had it off the leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dudara wrote: »
    Swans (and geese also) are quite territorial and protective of their young. They’re also very strong birds, able to do a lot of damage. People tend to underestimate them.

The first thing that struck me was “why was the dog swimming in the pool”? That’s clearly the swans’ territory. It was, unfortunately, a stupid move.

Poor dog, it didn’t deserve that.

Geese are rotten, went to a farm park with our 2yr old a few months ago, wife sits down with a coffee and i take my daughter into the enclosure where there are chickens, geese, rabbit and such, went something like this

Mrs Scud : "Scud, it's a goose"

Scud : "Oooh look mini scud, theres a goose there"

Mrs Scud (slightly louder) : "Scud....it's a goose"

Scud : Goes walking towards goose with mini scud "Look mini, lets go see the goose"

Mrs Scud : "SCUD, IT'S A F****N GOOSE"

Scud : realises his huge error, picks up mini scud and runs away with a viscous goose hot on tail

Been attacked by a swan too a few years back, if a swan didn't hesitate coming for me a small dog is nothing to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's been known for decades that even for humans to approach Swans on the nest or with cygnets is foolhardy. Feel sorry for the dog but its owners shouldn't have had it off the leash.

But as has several people on here have attested to, swans seem to apply the 'danger to my young' label pretty liberally and will attack people and animals that are just going about their business, often without any young in sight.

I think it's just bad luck and blaming the owners is a bit much. You wouldn't expect this to happen to your dog on a walk, but I suppose the boardsie way is to admonish people for not preparing for every possibility when something goes wrong.

If it was my dog that got killed I'd immediately adopt a pit bull and go back down to that lake like "What's up, now bro?" Probably be hard to find the same swan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

But as has several people on here have attested to, swans seem to apply the 'danger to my young' label pretty liberally and will attack people and animals that are just going about their business, often without any young in sight.

I think it's just bad luck and blaming the owners is a bit much. You wouldn't expect this to happen to your dog on a walk, but I suppose the boardsie way is to admonish people for not preparing for every possibility when something goes wrong.

If it was my dog that got killed I'd immediately adopt a pit bull and go back down to that lake like "What's up, now bro?" Probably be hard to find the same swan though.

So you'd adopt a pitbull to take revenge out on a protected little swan

Swans do the mate for life thing, end up a bit "lost" when their mate dies

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I blame the man's parents for not highlighting the obvious danger of 10kg birds with deadly appendages, like wings and a beak.

Luckily my parents had me well versed in such dangers, as well as falling roof tiles, venomous spiders between imported bananas and the ever present danger of collapsing into sinkholes.

Victims of such events only have themselves to blame. They'll get no sympathy from me. Also, I drive a car, which is entirely unrelated to what I've written above. Not sure why I'm mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

gctest50 wrote: »
    So you'd adopt a pitbull to take revenge out on a protected little swan

Swans do the mate for life thing, end up a bit "lost" when their mate dies

Don't worry. The likelihood of that series of events unfolding are actually surprisingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just because YOU know something you shouldn't assume everyone does.
    A lot of people approach animals they shouldn't - deer in the park, seals on the beach because they just don't realise the danger.
    You better believe this owner is kicking himself for what happened & in hindsight will never let a dog of his near a swan again, he has learned a harsh lesson the hard way.

The vast majority of people know how protective swans are of their nests. And the tiny minority should know that wild animals are territorial, swans regularly beat their wings and hiss when people are walking towpaths near their nests / cygnets.

Anyone approaching any wild animal without checking if it is safe to do so should be getting a Darwin Award.

Its laughable you are blaming a wild animal for this dog being killed, the owner was stupid enough to let his dog swim into danger, and if the owner was one of the few that didnt know about swans he didnt think of checking on his phone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shemale wrote: »
    The vast majority of people know how protective swans are of their nests. And the tiny minority should know that wild animals are territorial, swans regularly beat their wings and hiss when people are walking towpaths near their nests / cygnets.

Anyone approaching any wild animal without checking if it is safe to do so should be getting a Darwin Award.

Its laughable you are blaming a wild animal for this dog being killed, the owner was stupid enough to let his dog swim into danger, and if the owner was one of the few that didnt know about swans he didnt think of checking on his phone first.

I just cannot take you serious. The absolute tripe coming from you is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I just cannot take you serious. The absolute tripe coming from you is ridiculous.

Alright folks,
    The above will be the last of the bitchy, snipey comments that this thread has become full of.
    I must, as I have had to do many times, remind posters that there is a sticky near the top of the forum page to let people know we don't accept posters being nasty or disrespectful towards one another. You don't have to agree with one another, but if you don't agree, you do have to debate your point in a way that's respectful towards the other poster.
    If you find yourself in a position that you can't be respectful towards the other human being that you're addressing, then don't post. It's really that simple.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Advertisement