Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

There was zero parking available in Dingle yesterday so yes very lucky. Saw a few id4 s around and yes a few model 3 as well. Is yours grey? If so I walked by you in car park across from church. You wont spot me though in my non ev 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

😂😂 Mine is white and I'm back in the pale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Guy Martin on channel 4 now...the world's fastest electric car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Disappointing end ☹️

Should have used a Tesla Model 3 LR for that trip and would have been a doddle and much cheaper!

• Advertisement

"How many electric car charging points are there in Ireland? The short answer is no-one seems to have a precise figure"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That "article", as usual loads of fact errors. It states Tesla destination " 'chargers" (should read charge point) are up to 6kW, they are up to 22kW. Also states there are 6 Tesla Supercharger locations when there are 5.

I don't know their exact number but fair play to EasyGo is they are up to 400.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and even the 5 sites could be actually called only 4 sites as 2 of them are just at opposite sites of the carriageway… so technically 5 sites, but in reality only 4.

an error strewn article like that on EV’s/charging is par the course really these days…. Even the slightest bit of research on the subject would have corrected the inaccuracies, or feck it, even just ask an EV driver to proof read it!!!

eCars really need to get their arses in gear for the avalanche/snowball of new EV’s currently rolling down the mountain…….

I know Mayfield is still in test phase despite being officially opened (I was there twice and the site was maxed out with 4 cars charging! (a 5th car could have plugged in……….. on AC)) , but surely the issues now are with the units and not the ground works (which seemingly took months to prepare), so why aren’t they starting the groundwork’s on the next 2, 3, 10 sites?

Or maybe they are pinning all their hopes on Musk opening up his ever expanding network of Supercharger hubs so they can concentrate their efforts on expanding the Nissan Leaf network.

Big assumption eCars are SME on the chargers they’re installing.

Into my 5th year EV driving and I highly doubt this is the case.

Can you take the driving test in an EV in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sure can. Sure there's driving schools in Ireland with EV options.

The article above just sounds like typical Americans on a power trip.

Jesus she’s a big old girl…….

Massive wheelbase, isn’t it

Definitely built for the American market….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you download easygo app, and untick roaming filter you can see easygo operated chargers only. Note some are business chargers not available to public, they have about 5 x 50kW chargers nationwide, a lot of lidl free, and some put in by councils in the likes of Ennis. Your totals may vary. They do have ambitious plans for expanding, but 75kW max power is there plan as far as I heard. They seem to be using investor funding and running at a loss is my guess. Kinnegad with 2 co sited 50kW chargers on a busy motorway services is the only site to pay it's way I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads is there a definitive guide to charging, chargers, apps, cards etc etc. New to this and finding it difficult to figure out. Do I just sign up with all of them and use whichever card or app is required at the charge point I find myself at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There aren't too many here, not like the UK.

ECars and EasyGo basically. Sign up with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kona looks like a remote control car You would get for Christmas and be delighted with and then Timmy down the road rocks up with his bigger better car and p**ses you off 😃

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

This was the same scenario when the Kona came out originally, and someone pulled up in an eNiro.

No, it sounds like made up non sense. Why did he not take a test at 16 like every one else? How did he rent a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It says he relocated and wanted to get a US licence. It doesn’t say where he came from. You’re just assuming he was from the US. He could have rented a car with a foreign licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Charge points in Porto.

Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just a quick question. My brother is about to buy an electric car - a Kona. It has a range of 480kms but he'll be travelling up to Dublin and staying overnight regularly from Fermoy in Cork, which is about 220kms on motorway, so he will need to recharge. Will it be difficult to find a charging spot? Some hotels have chargers but would they be very busy? How long would it take for him to fully recharge at one of these chargers? Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Stopping for 20 minutes on one of the rapid chargers will do him fine.

He'll not get 480km unless driving like a granny round a city. Probably 350-400kms if motorway driving.

A stop on the way back to Cork at either Ionity Kill (expensive), or J14/Mayfield (currently free, but when charging starts, still a hell of a lot cheaper than Ionity).

Doing this means no need to worry about destination charging in Dublin, however though if destination charging in Dublin wasn't a huge inconvenience to do (hotel or an eCars/EasyGo slow AC charger close by, that would be a preferable option* so a stop on the way back down wasn't needed.

*Also a better option in terms of long term life and health of the battery as fast DC charging puts additional stresses on the battery. It's not really a bad thing, but if you're planning on keeping the EV for 6-7-8+ years, the less DC charging you can do overall will ultimately help keep battery degradation to a minimum.

Thanks Andy. Typically, how available would the chargers be? Would you be queuing for long? His plan is to recharge fully in Dublin if possible before driving back down as he might need to do some driving around Dublin on business so the battery will be almost fully depleted before he heads back down the next day.

Mayfield has the potential to charge 6 CCS cars at once once its fully operational, so if you did have to queue, it probably wouldn't be for long.

Ionity Kill (both north & southbound) have 4 stalls on each side of the road, and I've never seen a car using them, so you'd always get in there for an expensive charge.

Then as for the slow AC chargers within Dublin, They'd be hit and miss in terms of availability, but download the eCars app and start looking at the ones he'd potentially use, and see how often they are busy or available... though there's enough of them around nowadays that you should always be able to find an available one (most Tesco's have them now).

That's great, thanks Andy. I'll let him know. Should alleviate his range anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭greyday

• Advertisement

Advertisement