Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It's not what politicians say that counts its the legislation.

You should have a read Someday.

European Union Referendum Act 2015

The act made no provision for the result to be legally binding on the government or on any future government.
    People Voted under the the Conditions that the Prime Minister of the time Promised / Vowed .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

blinding wrote: »
    I do think there should be a General Election before any 2nd referendum .

The Electorate have to give their verdict on these MPs before these MPs can have another referendum .

In any case there will be no other Referendum before a General Election nor should there be .

Something approaching sense at last :)

GE is almost certain. Second ref is kind of unlikely unless Tories get trashed and even if labour got it another ref would take ages.

First Up wrote: »
    Who will you blame for that?
    I will blame Anti-Democratic Eu-Phile MPs that fraudulently stole their seats at the last General election .

Something approaching sense at last :)

GE is almost certain. Second ref is kind of unlikely unless Tories get trashed and even if labour got it another ref would take ages.
    Another referendum seems to have fallen off the Radar big time .

It looks like British Politicians have finally worked out that the British People want their Democracy respected:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

People Voted under the the Conditions that the Prime Minister of the time Promised / Vowed .

So what? Since when does what a politician say trump legislation.

A very nieve electorate to fall for the weisel words of politicians. They should have listened to the Europeans who were telling the truth.

• Advertisement

It looks like British Politicians have finally worked out that the British People want their Democracy respected:eek:

If brexit has taught me anything it is to expect the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

blinding wrote:
    I will blame Anti-Democratic Eu-Phile MPs that fraudulently stole their seats at the last General election .

Grand. Take it up with them so. The UK's political convolutions are not important to the rest of us.

A very nieve electorate to fall for the weisel words of politicians. They should have listened to the Europeans who were telling the truth.
    Foreigners telling Irish people how to run Ireland does not have a good record , Historically .

I don’t see why it would be any better for Britain :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A referendum isn't wholly democratic in the UK anyhow. PARLIAMENT is sovereign, they can legally ignore the result of a referendum if they wish.

Foreigners telling Irish people how to run Ireland does not have a good record , Historically .

It's British politicians selling the British people down the swanie, nothing to do with foreigners.

• Advertisement

A referendum isn't wholly democratic in the UK anyhow. PARLIAMENT is sovereign, they can legally ignore the result of a referendum if they wish.
    Prime Ministers and Political Parties pledging to Respect the Referendum are too mean nothing:eek::eek::eek:

What is it with Eu-Philes and not Respecting Democracy:eek::eek::eek:

It's British politicians selling the British people down the swanie, nothing to do with foreigners.
    Didn’t you suggest that the British people should do as Foreigners tell them .

I just pointed out that this had a very Bad record in Ireland:eek::eek::eek:

Didn’t you suggest that the British people should do as Foreigners tell them .

I just pointed out that this had a very Bad record in Ireland:eek::eek::eek:

That's not what I said at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Prime Ministers and Political Parties pledging to Respect the Referendum are too mean nothing:eek::eek::eek:

What is it with Eu-Philes and not Respecting Democracy:eek::eek::eek:

The PM did, she enacted Art 5o, went to the EU and negotiated a deal that both sides were happy with.

She has not been able to get that through parliament because Remain and Leave cannot agree on it.

And parliament is legally and ultimately sovereign on this choice and that power has been backed and approved of by the people of the UK for centuries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What foreigners exactly are telling the UK what to do?
    I'm at a loss as to why you think the UK are being told what to do. Surely you really don't believe your own guff?

That's not what I said at all.
    You said they should do as Foreigners told them .

I correctly pointed out this had a very bad record in Ireland .

What foreigners exactly are telling the UK what to do?
    I'm at a loss as to why you think the UK are being told what to do. Surely you really don't believe your own guff?
    I am replying to Auguste Compte’s Post .

This is a great read. Then you get to this bit on the backstop and border. Dominic Raab ladies and gents.

‘"They needed a lever which put us in the wrong and them in the right, I think that's the way they saw it. [With] the Irish border there's a strong political, moral, sentimental argument... based on fiction really, but nevertheless that's how it's used."’

10 things that stopped Brexit happening
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49008826

You said they should do as Foreigners told them .

I correctly pointed out this had a very bad record in Ireland .

Would you be good enough to quote where I said that?

Here you go .:D

• Advertisement

Here you go .:D

That's not what you claimed I said or anything even close to it.

Your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

I don't really follow the Brexit stuff but the "backstop".

This is something I always suspected to be a steaming turd of nonsense and increasingly it seems to be the case.

And I'm someone who doesn't even follow this.

Backstop: it's barely a word. Or is it.
    And wasn't it always the case that Ireland has no power in this fight. When push comes to shove, neither the EU or the UK will be pushed around by this country.

Was it just us getting notions as usual.

This is something I always suspected to be a steaming turd of nonsense and increasingly it seems to be the case.

And wasn't it always the case that Ireland has no power in this fight. When push comes to shove, neither the EU or the UK will be pushed around by this country.

Where to start.

Here we are are not being pushed around by Britain. Who thought they could easily put is in our place and have their way.

You should really read up on all of it and why there is backstop and why there needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That's pretty obvious.

edit: the backstop is put in place to protect Northern Ireland's fragile and unique status whilst being acutely aware that the UK cannot be trusted to keep promises without hard guarrantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The backstop is both a trivial matter that can be dealt with quickly once everything else is sorted, and something that can’t possibly be put in the WA because it would tie the UK to the EU indefinitely despite the fact that it can be dealt with very quickly and easily, but only after it is removed from the WA.

amcalester wrote: »
    The backstop is both a trivial matter that can be dealt with quickly once everything else is sorted, and something that can’t possibly be put in the WA because it would tie the UK to the EU indefinitely despite the fact that it can be dealt with very quickly and easily, but only after it is removed from the WA.
    No it doesn't. It ties the UK to its agreed commitments under the GFA indefinitely.

Didn’t Boris and Jeremy Hunt drop the backstop in the Garbage Skip Yesterday .

The Backstop is a Dead Parrot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No it doesn't. It ties the UK to its agreed commitments under the GFA indefinitely.

I was trying to be facetious; you are, of course, completely correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Didn’t Boris and Jeremy Hunt drop the backstop in the Garbage Skip Yesterday .

The Backstop is a Dead Parrot .

No backstop, no withdrawal agreement. Simple as that. The UK can bang on and make threats but the EU have consistently said that it won't be removed. One of these days the UK will learn that they no longer get to call the shots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement