Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound culling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grace, with all due respect what was exposed? IGB knew that traceability was an issue so commissioned a report to find out exactly the facts. Yes, 6,000 greyhounds were unaccounted for but to say that they were all illegally killed is wrong. This report has given them a clear picture of what needs doing and this is underway.
    There was mention of a million euro greyhound at stud. Who and where?
    They also mentioned that an Irish Greyhounds racing was only 7 months. Not so. Many are sold to uk legally.
    That greyhound with its ears cut off happened years ago, as did the dumping of greyhounds in a ditch. No up to date videos or photos. DNA testing would have led to identifying owners responsible.
    Dogs being cruelly killed in China was shown for the reaction hoped for.
    Knackeries will be investigated and measures taken to ensure this no longer happens. Same goes for illegal coursing.

Not sure what point you are making here? That there is nothing seriously amiss? That the authorities are 100 per cent on the ball?

I know how hard it is to face all this.
    But it is there and real and needs setting to rights.

I have extended family working in dog welfare overseas who had held back from telling me what is happening here. They know how bad it is and it serves no purpose for dog welfare to even try to gloss over the situation.

If you were right? These extremes would never have developed. They did and this needs attention and cannot be glossed over.

The optimum would be for Ireland to ban greyhound racing as other civilised nations and states have done.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure what point you are making here? That there is nothing seriously amiss? That the authorities are 100 per cent on the ball?

I know how hard it is to face all this.
    But it is there and real and needs setting to rights.

I have extended family working in dog welfare overseas who had held back from telling me what is happening here. They know how bad it is and it serves no purpose for dog welfare to even try to gloss over the situation.

If you were right? These extremes would never have developed. They did and this needs attention and cannot be glossed over.

My point is that it getting the attention needed. A bit late in the day, but better late than never. What was acceptable decades ago no longer is. That is changing.

Was it not 6000 greyhound pups per annum are going unaccounted for?
    Not just 6000....wake the fnck up whoever reckons that traceability is the problem.....those pups aren't on fooking sofas

My point is that it getting the attention needed. A bit late in the day, but better late than never. What was acceptable decades ago no longer is. That is changing.

???? What happened not so long ago has shaped the present. There is no place for excusing the past. It needs outing and dealing with to ensure it does not happen again.. and that 6000?

• Advertisement

???? What happened not so long ago has shaped the present. There is no place for excusing the past. It needs outing and dealing with to ensure it does not happen again.. and that 6000?

Which is exactly what IGB are doing. Dealing with it. Much to the disgust of those opposed to greyhound racing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Which is exactly what IGB are doing. Dealing with it. Much to the disgust of those opposed to greyhound racing!

Can you tell us how they are dealing with it?

One of my family shocked me earlier. She is a breeder and has/had many friends in that field.
    One such called her, not that long ago, complaining she could not sell her greyhounds with the tattoo on their ears and that she had thus cut off their ears,

My relative slammed the phone down and never spoke to her again.

They ignored the original report and it is only through RTE that they have been outed.

What is there to admire or preserve re greyhound racing? Exploiting/damaging animals for financial gain?
    High time Ireland came out of the dark ages

I am not "disgusted"; deeply shocked and very thankful RTE has made it impossible to sweep this under the carpet.

One of my family shocked me earlier. She is a breeder and has/had many friends in that field.
    One such called her, not that long ago, complaining she could not sell her greyhounds with the tattoo on their ears and that she had thus cut off their ears,

Nonsense. Any greyhound breeder knows that all greyhounds are traceable either through a DNA test or by just scanning for their microchip.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Any greyhound breeder knows that all greyhounds are traceable either through a DNA test or by just scanning for their microchip.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

So someone cut of their dogs ears so that they could sell the dogs. Someone is telling you fibs. Who would buy a dog with no ears.

jackboy wrote: »
    So someone cut of their dogs ears so that they could sell the dogs. Someone is telling you fibs. Who would buy a dog with no ears.

I think it’s so a rescue would take it in. There were 2 cases in the last 10 years and they made all the newspapers. The owners were traced via DNA and prosecuted.
    People will believe what Animal rights groups want them to. They really haven’t gotten a clue as to what they are talking about.
    Yes, there are problems in the game, yet the very report commissioned to identify those problems is now being used as a stick to beat them with.
    So called animal rights activists are great at playing with people’s emotions. They don’t really care for animals. They want them eradicated.
    Personally, I hate boxing. But I will defend the right of anyone to take part in it. After all, it is a legal, regulated sport, same as greyhound racing and coursing.

I think it’s so a rescue would take it in. There were 2 cases in the last 10 years and they made all the newspapers. The owners were traced via DNA and prosecuted.

Why wouldn’t the rescue take the dogs with the tattoo? The pound would take them no bother.

People will believe what Animal rights groups want them to. They really haven’t gotten a clue as to what they are talking about.
    Yes, there are problems in the game, yet the very report commissioned to identify those problems is now being used as a stick to beat them with.
    So called animal rights activists are great at playing with people’s emotions. They don’t really care for animals. They want them eradicated.
    Personally, I hate boxing. But I will defend the right of anyone to take part in it. After all, it is a legal, regulated sport, same as greyhound racing and coursing.

In boxing you make a choice for your body. With greyhound racing you inflct and afflict dogs who have no say in it.

And we do care deeply for animals. Very deeply indeed; it is not just a question of "rights" but of simple decency and humanity. Which are enshrined in our laws by tthe way; look up the Four Freedoms

Google "greyhound ears cut off"....OK? OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

What was shown on the programme was tame compared to how these animals are treated. They are treated far worse than what was shown. Other animals also suffer as bait, it really is appalling. They are the most gentle dogs.

As a previous poster mentioned people need to also understand the conditions chickens are kept in. I don’t think if they visited a farm they’d ever eat one again.
    It is truly horrifying the conditions they are kept in but hopefully one day it will be exposed.

I think with racing it is it particularly sad as they are just for entertainment. People weren’t aware how bad it was but now companies are started to boycott. FBD have pulled out. Others will follow. The department of agriculture needs to ban exports of dogs or it will continue. If not it will be just happening in tracks outside Ireland. We are also the puppy farm capital of Europe. Don’t even get me started on how much suffering we allow on wildlife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    What was shown on the programme was tame compared to how these animals are treated. They are treated far worse than what was shown. Other animals also suffer as bait, it really is appalling. They are the most gentle dogs.

As a previous poster mentioned people need to also understand the conditions chickens are kept in. I don’t think if they visited a farm they’d ever eat one again.
    It is truly horrifying the conditions they are kept in but hopefully one day it will be exposed.

I think with racing it is it particularly sad as they are just for entertainment. People weren’t aware how bad it was but now companies are started to boycott. FBD have pulled out. Others will follow. The department of agriculture needs to ban exports of dogs or it will continue. If not it will be just happening in tracks outside Ireland. We are also the puppy farm capital of Europe. Don’t even get me started on how much suffering we allow on wildlife

And yet we've no problems with killing unwanted babies......it's a strange world we live in!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

And yet we've no problems with killing unwanted babies......it's a strange world we live in!!

Please... As has been requested by mods on other threads here in the Animals & Pets forum, please let's not bring this dog welfare-related thread off-topic.
    Thank you.
    DBB

Sorry, misunderstood your post. Thought you saying that the owner cut the dogs ears off in order to sell the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

They’re not sold, they are abandoned & dumped. The lucky ones make it to a rescue.

Sorry, misunderstood your post. Thought you saying that the owner cut the dogs ears off in order to sell the dogs.

Only the lucky ones end up in rescue. The way these animals are treated is appalling. Some of them end up being shipped to China, Pakistan or other countries with no animal welfare laws. The people that go over to these countries to rescue greyhounds have a horrendous task at finding them and witnessing what happens to dogs that end up there.

People knocking animal rights activists is ridiculous. Only for these people a lot of animals wouldn’t have a voice. Ignorance is bliss. People need to wake up and see how awful animals are treated in Ireland. Look at the puppy farms that are LEGALLY operating. Unless you are involved in rescue it is difficult to comprehend how much abuse animals suffer with very little consequences for people involved

Only the lucky ones end up in rescue. The way these animals are treated is appalling. Some of them end up being shipped to China, Pakistan or other countries with no animal welfare laws. The people that go over to these countries to rescue greyhounds have a horrendous task at finding them and witnessing what happens to dogs that end up there.

People knocking animal rights activists is ridiculous. Only for these people a lot of animals wouldn’t have a voice. Ignorance is bliss. People need to wake up and see how awful animals are treated in Ireland. Look at the puppy farms that are LEGALLY operating. Unless you are involved in rescue it is difficult to comprehend how much abuse animals can suffer from the way humans treat them. Rescues are bursting at the seams with dogs due to irresponsible dog ownership and practises such as greyhound racing.

People knocking animal rights activists is ridiculous. Only for these people a lot of animals wouldn’t have a voice. Ignorance is bliss. People need to wake up and see how awful animals are treated in Ireland. Look at the puppy farms that are LEGALLY operating. Unless you are involved in rescue it is difficult to comprehend how much abuse animals can suffer from the way humans treat them. Rescues are bursting at the seams with dogs due to irresponsible dog ownership and practises such as greyhound racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I saw the program today and I'm angry. You think that you live in one of the better and fairer countries in the world and then you see something like this.

Most of the program depressed as much as sadden me, from the neanderthal pricks at the coursing, to the owners/trainers/transporters whose humanity has long since disappeared, to the politicians and IGB that facilitate, support, subsidise and turn a blind eye.

Someone mentioned during the week to me that this type of program shouldn't be broadcast, that showing this level of cruelty was sickening and too upsetting. But her opinion is wrong, it should be publicised and everyone should know what is going on. We've hidden and covered up enough as a country and kept too many secrets.

omerin wrote: »
    I saw the program today and I'm angry. You think that you live in one of the better and fairer countries in the world and then you see something like this.

Most of the program depressed as much as sadden me, from the neanderthal pricks at the coursing, to the owners/trainers/transporters whose humanity has long since disappeared, to the politicians and IGB that facilitate, support, subsidise and turn a blind eye.

Someone mentioned during the week to me that this type of program shouldn't be broadcast, that showing this level of cruelty was sickening and too upsetting. But her opinion is wrong, it should be publicised and everyone should know what is going on. We've hidden and covered up enough as a country and kept too many secrets.

Yes, Absolutely they should be shown. It makes people uncomfortable to think that this level of cruelty is happening in what is seen as entertainment. People disassociate themselves from cruelty when they aren’t aware of what is going on. The programme shown was a watered down version of what actually happens imo. Dogs thrown in ditches in plastic bags, driven places and thrown away like rubbish. And then there are the unfortunate dogs that end up being shipped abroad.

I wonder if Barry’s tea will pull sponsorship. They’ve remained silent on it so far. After the programme has been aired businesses supporting this cruel industry through sponsorship or attending Christmas parties is as guilty as the people involved in the industry.

Anyone considering adopting a dog should consider greyhound. They are couch potatoes and despite the abuse they endure they are so loving and trusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

i adopted a greyhound and i have to say its the mildest most trouble free dog i have ever owned i intend to get a second one soon marvellous companions so sweet in nature no aggression no wonder big hard men are able to abuse them they dont bite or fight back they avoid any type of issues they just want peace and quiet and nice food absolute saints of dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Greyhound racing is inherently a tamed version of bloodsport.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ICABS/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Is there anywhere to watch the documentary online without downloading the app?

RTE player is only playing ads, then stopping.

• Advertisement

i adopted a greyhound and i have to say its the mildest most trouble free dog i have ever owned i intend to get a second one soon marvellous companions so sweet in nature no aggression no wonder big hard men are able to abuse them they dont bite or fight back they avoid any type of issues they just want peace and quiet and nice food absolute saints of dogs

They are the most gentle creatures aren’t they! They are very calm by nature, I love them. I

Advertisement