Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound culling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Augeo wrote: »
    Where's the right direction?

Travellers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

All sports especially betting sports where animals are used are full of cruelty. show jumping is just as bad & the amount of young racehorses sent to be culled by very important rich irishmen living abroad is sickening. Sending greyhounds to spain & china is a vile vicious end for the poor creatures who are soo gentle my heat bleeds for them they dont deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Augeo wrote: »
    You reckon all former racers are homed?

Not even anything close to that. Or even half. Or a third.

Especially here. We breed 16 times more greyhounds than the UK. But we have far, far less rescues with far, far less funding, and far, far less people looking to adopt than the UK.

They either win or die, 96% of them in Ireland.

The only positive from the trailer is the highlighting of illegal coursing, though I very much doubt that the finger will be pointed in the right direction!

I unreservedly withdraw my insinuation regarding the illegal coursing and hope that the full rigors of the law bear down on those caught in the act.

I posted this thread in the new current affairs/AH forum - please support this thread as I will with yours

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057991795

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    I hope this program causes an outcry that speeds up the industry's demise.

Good post-and I’ve done what I can with my above thread in AH/New current affairs forum- so EVERYONE, tell Dept of Agriculture to FOAD, and stop using your tax euros to fund this shote because that’s exactly what they’re doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good post-and I’ve done what I can with my above thread in AH/New current affairs forum- so EVERYONE, tell Dept of Agriculture to FOAD, and stop using your tax euros to fund this shote because that’s exactly what they’re doing.

Funding the IGB to the tune of €16m a year, it is insane that the taxpayer is directly subsidising animal cruelty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've seen some horrendous stuff in my time. But by jebus, that's right up there at the top now. Absolutely sickening, gut-wrenching, heartbreaking.
    The lies and distortions told by B na gC and ICC... Absolutely confirm that I've been correct all along not to believe any of the platitudes given by ICC, or coursing folk, or anyone on this thread, in their attempts to have us believe that no animals are harmed in the making of a jolly day out when legally coursing hares. If it's that bad for legal events, by jebus you can only imagine what a sh!tshow it is with illegal coursing.
    You're damn right I'll be adding my voice to the protests to the Dept of Ag and beyond. The images from that show will haunt me for the rest of my days.

What’s FOAD? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I didn't watch it. I just couldn't. Breaks my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Not a dry eye in ours at the moment, sat thru it with our 2 rescue pooches & our piggies, all on the sofa, dogs either side & piggies in the middle...

A truly horrific industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I’ve always known a fair share of dodgy-ness has gone on in the greyhound industry here, but seeing this, especially the final scenes in the knackery, will haunt me. I cried at this, and normally I’d consider myself quite hard pushed to emotion over something on the telly. Something has to change and I’ll gladly join in any protests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I heard them talking about it on the radio today. Couldn't bring myself to watching it.

Iv seen videos of people getting killed or maimed which didn't bother me but there is something about innocent animals

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

DBB wrote: »
    I've seen some horrendous stuff in my time. But by jebus, that's right up there at the top now. Absolutely sickening, gut-wrenching, heartbreaking.
    The lies and distortions told by B na gC and ICC... Absolutely confirm that I've been correct all along not to believe any of the platitudes given by ICC, or coursing folk, or anyone on this thread, in their attempts to have us believe that no animals are harmed in the making of a jolly day out when legally coursing hares. If it's that bad for legal events, by jebus you can only imagine what a sh!tshow it is with illegal coursing.
    You're damn right I'll be adding my voice to the protests to the Dept of Ag and beyond. The images from that show will haunt me for the rest of my days.

I couldn’t watch it because of that very fact, it’s sickening and disgusting how those poor animals are treated, is there a petition going to the dept oh agri on this? This scum laden industry needs to be shut down ASAP

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I heard them talking about it on the radio today. Couldn't bring myself to watching it.

Iv seen videos of people getting killed or maimed which didn't bother me but there is something about innocent animals

I agree. I think it’s because as humans we have intellect, somewhere deep down we understand the evilness of humankind. So if we are attacked, mugged, beaten, cheated on, whipped, hurt .......somewhere deep down we know this is the evil of the other person.

Animals trust, implicitly and unconditionally. They don’t have our intellect. They don’t understand. They just trust us not to hurt them. But we hurt them, injure them, beat them and kill them. And all they do is offer love and affection. We should be ashamed as a nation about what is happening these dogs and that our taxes subsidise this industry !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I knew that was going to be bad, but it was worse than I expected them to actually show on TV.

I'm delighted RTE showed it and that they didn't hold back, but I'll feel sick about that closing scene for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm haunted by how quiet those greyhounds are after everything that's happened to them.

What do you even say after that?

I didn't cry for most of this. I've seen the videos of the dogs boiled alive and beaten and shot and of the little animals used for baiting and blooding. I've read the stories. I've met greyhounds with ears burned off and emaciated bodies. None of this is really news is it?

I've spoken about it before.. on boards and in my own life to anyone willing to listen. I've found most people don't want to know. Not because they don't care but because they're afraid to hear the truth. I don't blame them, its frightening stuff. Nightmarish stuff. But I have to know. Its a bit like when there's a big spider in the corner of the room and I'm waiting for my partner to get home and take it outside.. and i have to keep watching him, because the only thing worse than having to face my fear is not knowing where it is or what its doing. I have to know whats happening with these dogs because not knowing is actually more terrifying to me. I can't imagine pretending those things aren't happening because if we don't face it head on then who will speak for them?

But then I've signed all the petitions and sent all the emails and nothings changed. Christ I hope this tonight will bring about that change. I hope some of those people who were too afraid just opened their eyes and forced themselves to watch.

The industry has been dying for a long time but every year the government throws more money at it. More taxpayers money. Our money. 16 million to fund that revolting business. While our homelessness crisis persists and our hospitals continue to have people lying on trollies in corridors and any number of other worthwhile causes go on crying out for funding. Not to mention the underfunded rescues who are picking up the pieces, with no end in sight.

There's no point trying to deflect to other issues either. It's ok, you know, to want to deal with this one right now and then to worry about the others. In fact it's even ok to worry about more than one issue at the same time. With the fur farming ban, I read comments saying 'but what about banning puppy farming'. Yeah that's bad too. But one thing at a time. We can rejoice in this and then move on to that. If this show helps bring about the end of these barbaric 'sports' and you feel that horse racing also has its issues, then great, maybe we can move onto that next?

I'll tell you what broke me though. That man waiting for the dogs collar back. A collar worth more than a life. The dog writhing around and this .. i just can't say person.. this creature waiting for a collar. Yeah that broke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s a few of them bad bastards having a sleepless night tonight and no job to go to tomorrow if there’s any justice. I hope they haven’t an ounce of luck for life.

I’d also just like to add many thanks to all involved in the production and research of that documentary. If any of ye are reading this many thanks to ye all for highlighting this horrific industry to the public and hopefully it proves productive in ending the greyhound racing industry.

Between horses ending up in lasagne and now greyhounds being shot in knackerys it just goes to show the absolute jokeshop that is the department of agriculture.
    Heads should roll after that documentary.
    Corrupt barefaced liars the lot of them

• Advertisement

I’ve always been one of those people who couldn’t bear to watch these programmes. I’d hide, change station, pretend I had something else to do ...... because I’m soft and I love animals.

Well tonight I MADE myself watch every single minute . Because if I don’t then I’m another one who does nothing, who turns away, who pretends it doesn’t happen.
    And more dogs die...... because we “ just can’t “ watch these horrific events. These events are a fact ! If watching this means I save the life of even one dog from a brutal death then it’s worth it .
    If watching this means one of those fat blood spattered knacker scumbags get prosecuted or jailed then its worth it.
    If watching this is the only pain I suffer, it’s nothing compared to the pain and suffering ahead of so many racing dogs who will continue to suffer if we do nothing !

It’s too easy to do nothing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

In a civilised society those evil poor excuses for human beings in that show tonight would be having their front doors kicked down at 5am today and spending serious time in jail,

But this is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

While I like many aspects of Ireland, we seem to have an underbelly of animal cruelty that we're usually unwilling to tackle - it's cringe inducing to see UK documentaries about customs and there's always that Irish van full of farmed puppies.

But things like fur farming, greyhound racing, blood sports.

Then you've things like live exports of cattle to some of the most awful fates and we won't do anything about that despite the fact it's only worth an tiny amount to the economy and we know it's wrong but - nope! Can't critique the farmers. Turn a blind eye.

We also have ridiculously lax penalties for animal cruelty / neglect.

We'd be the first to get up on our high horses about plenty of other things but for some reason it's just that blind spot.

Shameful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please, what can we do? Watching raises awareness in those who watch ( and i refuse to judge anyone who did not watch; they are still very very aware indeed) but what good does it do unless it inspires and leads to some kind of action. it is not going to ease suffering

Are we really so helpless?

Even an online petition? I will gladly do any paperwork etc. Just now I am helpless to do more; ever increasing health issues prevent my adopting a dog as my family were adamant with me earlier. And I have five rescue cats...

Who do we need to pester?

The Bible verse so often half quoted keeps echoing in my mind. Not that money is the root of all evil BUT " The love of money is the root of all evil."

It is the love of money at the root of all this .

Any ideas anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

While I like many aspects of Ireland, we seem to have an underbelly of animal cruelty that we're usually unwilling to tackle - it's cringe inducing to see UK documentaries about customs and there's always that Irish van full of farmed puppies.

But things like fur farming, greyhound racing, blood sports.

Then you've things like live exports of cattle to some of the most awful fates and we won't do anything about that despite the fact it's only worth an tiny amount to the economy and we know it's wrong but - nope! Can't critique the farmers. Turn a blind eye.

We also have ridiculously lax penalties for animal cruelty / neglect.

We'd be the first to get up on our high horses about plenty of other things but for some reason it's just that blind spot.

Shameful really.

If you see any animal being ill treated, report it. I have done so with good effect many times. ISPCA will check and if you report cruelty or neglect to any rescue they will follow through also. This is different. A highly organised and well established industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

pointer28 wrote:
    Would recommend a rescue Greyhound if anyone's thinking about it, very gentle, very clean and apart from 20 minutes of galloping morning and evening, quite happy to lounge around and be quiet the rest of the time.

My sister has a rescue greyhound/ lurcher from the Ballymac family, even looks like the king Ballymac himself, a great fella wonderful companion and an excellent watch. He is very good around kids aswell. As mentioned by pointer loves a gallop morning and evening, when he gets that he is happy to lounge about and chill the beans. He goes everywhere, loves the car and was so easy to train. Recommend these doggies as pets for sure.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please, what can we do? Watching raises awareness in those who watch ( and i refuse to judge anyone who did not watch; they are still very very aware indeed) but what good does it do unless it inspires and leads to some kind of action. it is not going to ease suffering

Are we really so helpless?

Even an online petition? I will gladly do any paperwork etc. Just now I am helpless to do more; ever increasing health issues prevent my adopting a dog as my family were adamant with me earlier. And I have five rescue cats...

Who do we need to pester?

The Bible verse so often half quoted keeps echoing in my mind. Not that money is the root of all evil BUT " The love of money is the root of all evil."

It is the love of money at the root of all this .

Any ideas anyone please?

I’d say it’s the Department of Agricultural you need to pester Grace.

Seems they allow this transport of dogs abroad (to UK anyway) and did not revoked the licence of that scumbag who drove 11 greyhounds for 15 hours through the UK (no water, no bedding, no breaks ) .

This scumbag had his licence revoked in the UK by the GB greyhound board. They were appalled by the conditions of the dogs. That should have spoke volumes about his practices but the Irish turned a blind eye and he still held his licence as a dog transported issued by the Irish Dept of Agriculture!!

I’ll be complaining to Dept of Agriculture today .

That documentary should be played on loop on one of them huge screens you see on trucks parked up on o connell street and other main streets nationwide to create awareness and embarrass the powers that be to stop these practices from happening.

I'll tell you what broke me though. That man waiting for the dogs collar back. A collar worth more than a life. The dog writhing around and this .. i just can't say person.. this creature waiting for a collar. Yeah that broke me.[/quote]

That bit got to me too. The dirty coward sitting in his van waiting to get his lead and collar back while the poor dog got shot and thrashing around the floor.life is cheap with the coward.
    Sad thing is the coward must have other hounds when he needed the collar and lead back.
    I hope he’s treated accordingly after being identified from that to people who recognize him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We deny it even happens. It's far more convenient for the man on the street to pretend that the people who breed animals are all above board and it's "just a few knackers" doing all the horrible stuff.

Makes it easier to believe that your day at the dogs or the horses is a fun day out for everyone and no animals had to suffer for it.

Deep, deep denial.

Advertisement