Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day 2019 (15th & 16th)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Jaklmex

Surely Amazon will have to turn the screw on the return policy

I arranged a return the other day and they didn't even want the item back.

Had a problem with a fire 8 and they had a new one out in 2 days before I even returned the faulty one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Jaklmex wrote: »
    Surely Amazon will have to turn the screw on the return policy

I arranged a return the other day and they didn't even want the item back.

Had a problem with a fire 8 and they had a new one out in 2 days before I even returned the faulty one

Their customer service has always been top notch. I damaged a Kindle before and had a new one 2 days later with 30 days to return the damaged one. It works because I buy lots from them now because of this

They're the best although you have to work to get the best deals

Downside is you know the staff probably not well treated.

Same prob with sellers I'll bet the refunds hit them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Jaklmex wrote: »
    They're the best although you have to work to get the best deals

Downside is you know the staff probably not well treated.

Same prob with sellers I'll bet the refunds hit them
    There was a strike and a boycott the past few days because of the conditions, so pretty sure the conditions are poor.
    <<<<<<>>>>>>>>
    The amazon policies are good, no doubt, but the customer support when you actually have an issue, not so good.
    Most of the time they are just reading out policies that are already covered. But when and issue isn't covered they haven't a clue what to do. Not their fault, but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

It's the difference for Prime Video in UK vs Ireland. Get onto the Customer Service and I believe they can fix the geolocation settings to give you the correct access.

I'm onto chat now and they won't do it even though I said that I am in Antrim. Any tips??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I'm onto chat now and they won't do it even though I said that I am in Antrim. Any tips??

Surely the customer service person is not suggesting that you have a UK prime account for purchases and a separate prime account for video? Phrase it like that and lets see their response.

Suckit wrote: »
    There was a strike and a boycott the past few days because of the conditions, so pretty sure the conditions are poor.
    <<<<<<>>>>>>>>
    The amazon policies are good, no doubt, but the customer support when you actually have an issue, not so good.
    Most of the time they are just reading out policies that are already covered. But when and issue isn't covered they haven't a clue what to do. Not their fault, but it happens.

This is worth a watch.

They said the following:

"Even if the settings on you account is UK and your location is some other place your location will be detected through the Internet protocol IP address"

I replied

"OK, but this is a common problem in Northern Ireland I think - same with mobile phones, which often switch between Ireland and Northern Ireland."

Amazon:

"I am sorry we will be able to make any changes as you are currently residing in Ireland,
    You will be able to see the content and videos which are only available in that location."

and then I said:

"Thank you, I do understand, but I reside in Northern Ireland, which is in the UK. It just happens to be on the Island of Ireland (just like Wales and Scotland are separate countries but part of the UK). t does not make sense that Northern Ireland is treated any differently to the rest of the UK. If it is, then Prime is no good for me."

Amazon:

"I completely understand your point. If you wish I can help you with cancelling the Subscription"

I am not sure if he understands the geographic vs. nation difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

What really pisses me off about "Prime Day" is as a business customer the price usually goes up.

All items stocked and sold by Amazon themselves are displayed with a VAT exclusive and a VAT inclusive price and the V.A.T exclusive price is the price charged.

But on "Prime Day" or "lightning deals",

Everything appears exactly the same as normal, i.e the item is displayed with a VAT exclusive and a VAT inclusive price EXCEPT now I will be charged the V.A.T inclusive price, yet the invoice will show no VAT charged.

example

Normal day: Amazon Uk item retails for £100 including VAT ie. £83.33 excluding V.A.T - If I order this item, then I pay £83.33

Prime Day: Same item is now on sale with a 10% reduction. It's displayed as retailing for £90 including V.A.T and is clearly displayed as £75 excluding VAT. You would assume the price to a business customer would be £75, but NO the full £90 will be charged.

The actual invoice will show something completely different to the prices you just saw, something like item price £100, V.A.T -zero, lightning discount £10, Invoice total £90.

So the item costs 7 quid more, because the price of the item has been reduced by 10%.

Weird but true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Surely the customer service person is not suggesting that you have a UK prime account for purchases and a separate prime account for video? Phrase it like that and lets see their response.

What's on uk version that's not on Irish version

• Advertisement

They said the following:

"Even if the settings on you account is UK and your location is some other place your location will be detected through the Internet protocol IP address"

I replied

"OK, but this is a common problem in Northern Ireland I think - same with mobile phones, which often switch between Ireland and Northern Ireland."

Amazon:

"I am sorry we will be able to make any changes as you are currently residing in Ireland,
    You will be able to see the content and videos which are only available in that location."

and then I said:

"Thank you, I do understand, but I reside in Northern Ireland, which is in the UK. It just happens to be on the Island of Ireland (just like Wales and Scotland are separate countries but part of the UK). t does not make sense that Northern Ireland is treated any differently to the rest of the UK. If it is, then Prime is no good for me."

Amazon:

"I completely understand your point. If you wish I can help you with cancelling the Subscription"

I am not sure if he understands the geographic vs. nation difference.

There seems to be history on boards of people having their account changed to UK for them to access videos.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057771671&page=45

Ask them to change your location to UK to test this instead of them making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,247 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are you actually in Antrim or is it just your PM address?

Seems fairly obvious they have cogged what's going on.

I had a UK nowtv account for about four years and it worked here. No additional content but it was cheaper and preceded the Irish one by about three years.

Eventually they figured it out though.

Suckit wrote: »
    <<<<<<>>>>>>>>

Between worlds richest man and best customer service and deals

Someone is getting squeezed

Thanks both

@KM, yes, I had seen that other folk got the UK version through Chat/customer service but perhaps they have copped it all right.

@noodler, it's my PM address, but it's worth a try and sure if it doesn't work, it's my tough luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,247 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks both

@KM, yes, I had seen that other folk got the UK version through Chat/customer service but perhaps they have copped it all right.

@noodler, it's my PM address, but it's worth a try and sure if it doesn't work, it's my tough luck :)

Oh absolutely.

I'm just saying he probably can't actually straight out accuse you so he has to say the diplomatic standard response.

Personally, I would wait a few hours then ring up the customer service team and make the request again. you may get someone else who is a little more receptive and can help. The online chat teams for me have been inflexible, whereas the phone support team has gone out of the way to help.

Got another guy and it appears that my Irish credit card is the problem. But I have a UK credit card, so I can switch those over and I should have full content. I'll update you when I have done this (card is at home) and let you know if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks both

Id just wait a while and try again on chat. You`ll get a different person who will most likely help

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Might be cancelled but worth a try if you use it Burts Bees 10 pack - 3.98 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QWBUQS

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

sue97 wrote: »
    Might be cancelled but worth a try if you use it Burts Bees 10 pack - 3.98 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QWBUQS
    Its even better value its coming up as a 12 pack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭techdiver

I was a prime member for most of the last year and order multiple items. Not once did I receive 2 day delivery. I joined up again yesterday to buy something on prime day sale and once again it's a week for delivery.

I suppose the excuse can be used that prime day causes delays, but what causes it all the rest of the year?

This is the message I see beside pretty much everything - "Longer delivery than typical Prime items."

techdiver wrote: »
    I was a prime member for most of the last year and order multiple items. Not once did I receive 2 day delivery. I joined up again yesterday to buy something on prime day sale and once again it's a week for delivery.

I suppose the excuse can be used that prime day causes delays, but what causes it all the rest of the year?

This is the message I see beside pretty much everything - "Longer delivery than typical Prime items."

I've a mate in dublin who ordered something yesterday before lunch and it arrived this morning.

However I live in Cavan/Monaghan region and its always minimum 2 days and usually more.

sue97 wrote:
    Might be cancelled but worth a try if you use it Burts Bees 10 pack - 3.98

For some reason I ordered 24 of these. I've never used lip balm and probably never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've a mate in dublin who ordered something yesterday before lunch and it arrived this morning.

However I live in Cavan/Monaghan region and its always minimum 2 days and usually more.

(In Waterford) I've just sent back a Prime Warehouse deal, ordered 15th July arrived and sent back 17th July. If it hadn't arrived by the 18th I'd have been on to them for a free months Prime as compensation.

I expect two working day delivery if I order of a weekend, otherwise I'm OK with 3 days.

You do have to check when ordering because some Prime items state in the listing "Longer delivery than typical Prime items". Learn more > In order for us to bring you the broadest possible selection, some Prime items cannot be delivered in less than 2 business days. Most common reasons include the item being restricted to ground transportation, or requiring extra time to prepare for delivery.

my3cents wrote: »
    (In Waterford) I've just sent back a Prime Warehouse deal, ordered 15th July arrived and sent back 17th July. If it hadn't arrived by the 18th I'd have been on to them for a free months Prime as compensation.

I expect two working day delivery if I order of a weekend, otherwise I'm OK with 3 days.

You do have to check when ordering because some Prime items state in the listing "Longer delivery than typical Prime items". Learn more > In order for us to bring you the broadest possible selection, some Prime items cannot be delivered in less than 2 business days. Most common reasons include the item being restricted to ground transportation, or requiring extra time to prepare for delivery.

I just randomly selected 3 items and all of them had that message. My point is am I just the most unlucky shopper on amazon that whatever I buy happens to have these restrictions on them or is it more the case that they more than likely don't live up to their delivery promise??

They may have that message for some items due to either the warehouse strikes or the type of items you are selecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

techdiver wrote: »
    I just randomly selected 3 items and all of them had that message. My point is am I just the most unlucky shopper on amazon that whatever I buy happens to have these restrictions on them or is it more the case that they more than likely don't live up to their delivery promise??

Nah your not the unluckiest shopper on Amazon, I've been caught and not noticed that msg a few times now and I doubt I'm the only one.

Worst thing I've found is when you put items in Your Lists and the price goes down only to find at the new price they no longer ship to Ireland :mad:

They may have that message for some items due to either the warehouse strikes or the type of items you are selecting.

I selected a set of headphones, and electric toothbrush, some batteries. All had the message. I have since gone in and looked through most of the items on Page 1 of "Today's Deals" and pretty much all of them have that message.

my3cents wrote: »
    Worst thing I've found is when you put items in Your Lists and the price goes down only to find at the new price they no longer ship to Ireland :mad:

I wish there was a filter where you could remove search results that don't deliver to Ireland. it's infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Moving2017

sue97 wrote: »

It comes up as £4.08 when I go to pay for it.. still good!

Advertisement