Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kimsang wrote: »
    To differentiate between a racist and someone that wants stronger immigration controls would be a good start.

Do I need a certificate for that? Is it a profession? I’m just not understanding where the expertise comes in.

Incidentally I do know the difference between someone who wants tighter immigration control and someone who is a racist and Stephen15 is, demonstrably, the latter under the weakly veiled disguise of the former.

Does this make me an expert? What did I win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Odhinn wrote: »
    I asked him straight out. He gave an answer that would seem to indicate he has nothing against dark skinned people. Other statements by him though, are still problematic, meaning he may have it in for muslims, as that sort of rhetoric is associated with islamophobia.

Even if he did have a problem with Islam, that would not be racist.

Islam is a set of ideas that people adhere to, its an ideology not a race.

Next thing we know criticizing scientologists will be racist..

Overheal wrote: »
    Do I need a certificate for that? Is it a profession? I’m just not understanding where the expertise comes in.

Incidentally I do know the difference between someone who wants tighter immigration control and someone who is a racist and Stephen15 is, demonstrably, the latter under the weakly veiled disguise of the former.

Does this make me an expert? What did I win?

If I were to make a statement that was "demonstrably" true I would be able to prove it.

Pity that you can't. Are you sure you know what demonstrably means?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

"Modern variants of racism are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These views can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems in which different races are ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Odhin didn’t say that was racist he said it was still problematic. Either you can’t read or you’re arguing a strawman (it’s the latter)

• Advertisement

If I were to make a statement that was "demonstrably" true I would be able to prove it.

Pity that you can't. Are you sure you know what demonstrably means?
    I do know thanks. It’s been demonstrated in this thread. Keep up will you?

Overheal wrote: »
    I do know thanks. It’s been demonstrated in this thread. Keep up will you?

Its arguments like this that will ruin these boards. You clearly see stephens statement was tongue in cheek, yet you keep referring back to it like its gospel. You have a serious problem with honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Its arguments like this that will ruin these boards. You clearly see stephens statement was tongue in cheek, yet you keep referring back to it like its gospel. You have a serious problem with honesty
    You're focused on one (albeit serious) comment, but what about all the rest??

Not rehashing it again with you. His and my posts speak for themselves, it’s not just one post. Clearly you’re not interested in understanding that - and remember we found out I am a subject matter expert in racism just a couple posts ago so why question my expertise? Whew you’re hard to please!

Being half Asian I know all about racism in Ireland. Growing up in poor estate, I think I can honestly say I'm fairly knowledgeable about the subject.

What experience and expertise do you have exactly with racism?

You'll have to leave here if Gemma and Justin get their way then.

Re Stephen15, yep he's stated multiple times that he is proud to be a racist or considered as such. In fact he would probably be calling for you to be removed from the country as you wouldn't be Irish in his opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Being half Asian I know all about racism in Ireland. Growing up in poor estate, I think I can honestly say I'm fairly knowledgeable about the subject.

What experience and expertise do you have exactly with racism?

Back to HalfLand with you.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm all for free speech. I'm just curious why someone who is supposedly promoting peace & integration would try and spin a random assault into a hate crime. He's actually causing more division than integration.

I'm all for free speech but I want someone arrested for their speech. Thats pretty much what you just said.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I'm all for free speech but I want someone arrested for your speech. Thats pretty much what you just said.

No. People can say what they like. But if someone is deliberately stoking up tensions, trying to make Ireland out to be some racist hellhole, then they have to brought to heel. If the sheikh isn't happy living here, he can go back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

No. People can say what they like. But if someone is deliberately stoking up tensions, trying to make Ireland out to be some racist hellhole, then they have to brought to heel. If the sheikh isn't happy living here, he can go back home.

The only person stoking tensions are Gemma and her fans.

No. People can say what they like. But if someone is deliberately stoking up tensions, trying to make Ireland out to be some racist hellhole, then they have to brought to heel.

Gemma, Justin etc you mean

Oh for the love of G O’D...

You’re more worried about the people calling out racists trying to transform Ireland into a racist hellhole than you are the racists saying and doing things that will turn Ireland into a racist hellhole.

“You see folks, the real problem isn’t the Nazis, it’s all the snowflakes faux outraged at them”

Edit: or put another way it sounds like you feel Gemma should be “brought to heel” for calling Ireland a hell hole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some patriot, slagging off Ireland like that. She's a traitor if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if its the tongue-in-cheek comment you are referring to, then I believe your calling Stephen a racist is equally as disgusting and vile as anything a racist can do.

Why would Stephen be disgusted by his own beliefs?

Groups of posters have set the bar for 'racist' so low on boards.ie that its a meaningless word, I just read it as "anyone right of Stalin"

If true then why are you triggered by the word then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Nal wrote: »
    This thread is about Gemma O'Doherty though and her followers, who are complete thickos.

Look at this.

Its actually historical sign from Boston. Says so on the pic. This is how stupid she thinks her supporters are.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1163733183843708928

Well shes not wrong. She knows she is targeting people who get their eductation from twitter and will swallow anything she says from one hour to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Well if it’s true that these kids were on a little rampage around Dundrum then it’s not obvious at all.

They were discussing this on the radio yesterday and a shop owner said one of his staff was racially abused by the same gang. When asked what they did he said they stole stuff, threw stuff around the shop and used the f word a lot.

Another fella rang in to talk about his experience of racism. He had his wheelie bin stolen and burnt in a fire. It was racist because his Irish and Polish neighbours hadn’t had theirs stolen and burnt.

Any genuine racism is too much racism but little sh*ts being little sh*ts isn’t always racism because of the victims colour or religion.

You misheard that interview. He said that they used the N word, not F. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can we actually just ban “but de catholics....” whataboutery when doscussing muslims, its the go to response. Its possible to hate both you know.

So you admit that you hate people based purely on their religion??

The very definition of racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pinkyeye wrote: »

Is it?

Is it?

Yes without a doubt.

Ehhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You misheard that interview. He said that they used the N word, not F. :rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes all you want. He said the F word, he said it twice.

7 minutes in.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/98fms-dublin-talks/id962141893?i=1000447435810

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What do you think the word 'racism' actually means?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,585 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No. People can say what they like. But if someone is deliberately stoking up tensions, trying to make Ireland out to be some racist hellhole, then they have to brought to heel.
    Interesting choice of words - dehumanising people, likening people to animals. A fairly classic tactic of Nazis and others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

batgoat wrote: »
    I would say you're engaging in genuine racist propaganda more than than anything.

"Genuine racist propaganda" stop the lights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Interesting choice of words - dehumanising people, likening people to animals. A fairly classic tactic of Nazis and others.

Here's another one.

Maximum outrage setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Here's another one.

Maximum outrage setting.

Maybe turn your own outrage setting down then. That way you won't be outraged at outrage anymore.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement