Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    Tried that tact in the BLM thread. In short, people are not interested in critical debate there, they just want to tell you how bad black people are.

I find people on that thread just want to tell you how racist white people are

I find people on that thread just want to tell you how racist white people are

A certain few like to do that alright.

I find that it's mostly about how **** BLM are as a group, not about how bad black people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A certain few like to do that alright.

I find that it's mostly about how **** BLM are as a group, not about how bad black people are.

Or how white a black activist is? Real high brow stuff. Definitely not racist to judge someone by their skin color or nothing.
    The whitest black man in America . I'm blacker than him if we've a bit of sun here for a few days

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Or how white a black activist is? Real high brow stuff. Definitely not racist to judge someone by their skin color or nothing.
    Seriously?

You report a post nearly 2 weeks after it was made and then head over to Feedback to complain about the same post 2 minutes later??

If you are going to use this thread to "complain" like this I'll threadban you

Please provide constructive feedback on the forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Tried that tact in the BLM thread. In short, people are not interested in critical debate there, they just want to tell you how bad black people are.

Now calling out "the Ryans" Lidl Ad as the joke that it was gets you banned from CA for a week and banned from a Gemma thread of all things.

Most ordinary Irish people were laughing at that Ad but its a no go here.

Keep it up and they'll give birth to an actual nasty far right in this Country. As sure as night follows day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Beasty wrote: »
    Seriously?

You report a post nearly 2 weeks after it was made and then head over to Feedback to complain about the same post 2 minutes later??

If you are going to use this thread to "complain" like this I'll threadban you

Please provide constructive feedback on the forum

It is constructive, there is a current, ie. in the last day, here, discussion about racism in the forum. Can I not both report it when I see it for mods to delete it and highlight the fact that the post was made to begin with to demonstrate this racism is indeed occurring? Or did the act of reporting it make it not exist?

Do we not have racism emanating in the forum? Yes, we do. That's the feedback!

Edit: I also upon reflection I feel I must publicly note my objection to the breach of privacy issue of attempting to publicly shame a user for use of the report post function. I shouldn’t have to obviate that such public displays of violating the users trust does nothing to encourage broad participation in reporting posts for mod attention. Problems with a users alleged abuse of the function can surely be handled in a matter equally private as the function itself. Far from the first time an admin or a mod has treated a user as such, but my 2c is to entreat a review of the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Most ordinary Irish people were laughing at that Ad.

Speak for yourself.

The thread relating to the shooting in Dublin yesterday has been closed "for review " since last night.

Hows the review going?

On a side note the journal. Ie have their comments section closed too. Both owned by the same company.

Coincidence or policy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think there’s merit in leaving it open. What with talk of protests arranged at Garda stations and all. People deserve to have an opinion heard on all sides

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The thread relating to the shooting in Dublin yesterday has been closed "for review " since last night.

Hows the review going?

On a side note the journal. Ie have their comments section closed too. Both owned by the same company.

Coincidence or policy

If that were the case then this thread would be closed as well no?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058145027/44

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wish people would stop all this Journal conspiracy stuff. They have zero influence over here.

I've not had a chance to look at the CA thread. I have seen a hell of a lot of reports which triggered the closing. My personal view is the Dublin City thread should be closed and posters re-directed to CA, but before proposing that to local mods I do want to work my way through the CA thread in particular.

I wish people would stop all this Journal conspiracy stuff. They have zero influence over here.

I've not had a chance to look at the CA thread. I have seen a hell of a lot of reports which triggered the closing. My personal view is the Dublin City thread should be closed and posters re-directed to CA, but before proposing that to local mods I do want to work my way through the CA thread in particular.

Indeed. The half dozen posters who "thanked" the "under review" post gave themselves away.
    No issue there but the entire thread is locked so nobody can talk about it.

The opinions of the few have superseded the opinions of the many. Thread locked.

Just like real life!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My personal view is the Dublin City thread should be closed and posters re-directed to CA, but before proposing that to local mods I do want to work my way through the CA thread in particular.

It might be a good idea to parachute some temporary replacements in to look after Dublin City. The local mods haven't been active in a while. One particular poster has been doing most of the damage right from the opening pages in that thread.

If that were the case then this thread would be closed as well no?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058145027/44

That's why I asked coincidence or policy.

Thanks for your input.
    Jim

Indeed. The half dozen posters who "thanked" the "under review" post gave themselves away.
    No issue there but the entire thread is locked so nobody can talk about it.

The opinions of the few have superseded the opinions of the many. Thread locked.

Just like real life!

This isn't Alabama, the majority of Irish people don't have issues with foreigners etc, something that you might get to understand when living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It's an important story and it looks like it will have been partially shut down for roughly 12 of the 24 hours since it happened. Granted, most of that being overnight, but that's still not acceptable.

Several major sites have curtailed comments on the story, in one of the bluntest ways I've ever seen this done in Ireland.

It's not ok for heated comments and mass reporting to be used to shut down all discussion on a story, even when it is turning to shit, as it leads to shutting down discussion altogether. Several sites have used this as the justification for doing that.

That makes it harder for the moderators, yes - but right now it's curtailing public discussion over a very important story, and that's a far greater harm - moderators needs to moderate discussions without shutting them down, and this one needs to be opened up again and dealt with in realtime, with the old posts dealt with retroactively.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There’s a mass protest outside Blanchardstown Garda Station calling on Justice For George while we are in Level 5 Lockdown. They are saying they’ll go back every day for 14 days and “take the knee”. This all deserves to be discussed in a current affairs thread while it’s actually current. Should be opened.

It might be a good idea to parachute some temporary replacements in to look after Dublin City. The local mods haven't been active in a while. One particular poster has been doing most of the damage right from the opening pages in that thread.

I'll head over there now

Thread in CA re-opened. Thread in Dublin City closed. I'm going to go through the latter and could be handing out forum and site bans depending on content

DubInMeath wrote: »
    This isn't Alabama, the majority of Irish people don't have issues with foreigners etc, something that you might get to understand when living here.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction?

Irish people dont have issues with foreigners yet a smarmy comment about people from Alabama.
    Lol

• Advertisement

Is that not a bit of a contradiction?

Irish people dont have issues with foreigners yet a smarmy comment about people from Alabama.
    Lol

You might want to learn how to read.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    You might want to learn how to read.

Too late to edit it. Your hypocrisy is out in the open

Too late to edit it. Your hypocrisy is out in the open

You also need to learn what the term hypocrisy means, don't worry sure you'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Acosta

Such a horrible day yesterday for all involved. Both the left and right could probably do with taking a step back and taking a breath.

However the threads on this are an avalanche of racism on a scale I've not seen in my time on boards. People are revelling in it. Loads of new posters over the last 24 hours. Disgusting stuff.

Acosta wrote: »
    Such a horrible day yesterday for all involved. Both the left and right could probably do with taking a step back and taking a breath.

However the threads on this are an avalanche of racism on a scale I've not seen in my time on boards. People are revelling in it. Loads of new posters over the last 24 hours. Disgusting stuff.

Yep, I'm not inclined to say shooting was racially motivated. I do think there are legit questions over it in terms of use of force. But the glee of both brand new and posters who have been here for years is horrifying. It's that exact same type of rhetoric from the Carrigaline thread. As soon as the thread got locked, 60 pages of postings from the exact same posters sprung up in the Dublin city forum.

And I know the site likes to pretend that there's not an issue of racists or far the right on the site but there very much is. The main haunt generally being current affairs threads and a lot of it is simply left off. In terms of the topics atm, there's feck all consideration for the families and people affected by it. You can say report the posts or whatever but a lot of them are done by long time posters who seem to avoid outright bans. There is simply an acceptance it imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's that exact same type of rhetoric from the Carrigaline thread.

Except in this latest incident the requirement of having evidence of racism is suddenly important to them.

DublinInMeath and ExMachina1000 - if you cannot post in a civil manner, do not post at all (or I will remove posting privileges)

Acosta wrote: »

I've only been through the Dublin City thread. A handful of cards handed out. 1 poster picked up a number of them. One poster was a re-reg troll, and hopefully evidence of their posting has been removed (which has resulted in a large number of additional posts quoting that user being removes)

I've only been through the Dublin City thread. A handful of cards handed out. 1 poster picked up a number of them. One poster was a re-reg troll, and hopefully evidence of their posting has been removed (which has resulted in a large number of additional posts quoting that user being removes)

Great opportunity to let the posts all build up and then sift through them banning people as you go. Like a big net

• Advertisement

Great opportunity to let the posts all build up and then sift through them banning people as you go. Like a big net

It took a long time to go through that thread. But for me closing it I would have handed out threadbans, but that would have been before one or two posters had accumulated multiple cards

Yes the re-reg troll was always going to be sitebanned, but I did that after seeing a reported post last night. At that time I simply had no idea as to how much he had been stirring things (there were one or two other things taking up my time)

It would have been a lot easier if I'd got to the thread real-time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement