Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Beasty wrote: »
    It took a long time to go through that thread. But for me closing it I would have handed out threadbans, but that would have been before one or two posters had accumulated multiple cards

Yes the re-reg troll was always going to be sitebanned, but I did that after seeing a reported post last night. At that time I simply had no idea as to how much he had been stirring things (there were one or two other things taking up my time)

It would have been a lot easier if I'd got to the thread real-time

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you can't be everywhere at once, real world rules over this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I don't think that posts hoping that the garda who pulled the trigger has a miserable life and that he is a "murdering ****" are acceptable either

I don't think that posts hoping that the garda who pulled the trigger has a miserable life and that he is a "murdering ****" are acceptable either

Obviously not acceptable, it was posted 12 minutes ago and has been reported. Give mods a chance to see the report.

Obviously not acceptable, it was posted 12 minutes ago and has been reported. Give mods a chance to see the report.

Thanks for assuming that I'm complaining
    Fyi I'm not. Just pointing out I don't think its acceptable.
    I dont presume that there are an army of mods on standby
    I didn't mention mods, timeline or anything.

Jim

Thanks for assuming that I'm complaining
    Fyi I'm not. Just pointing out I don't think its acceptable.
    I dont presume that there are an army of mods on standby
    I didn't mention mods, timeline or anything.

Jim

So you're saying that your post was feedback?

• Advertisement

Yes.

Edit :I don't understand why you want to argue with me. I dont want to argue with you. Please leave me alone.
    Thanks

Thomas

Yes

OK:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Acosta wrote: »
    Such a horrible day yesterday for all involved. Both the left and right could probably do with taking a step back and taking a breath.

However the threads on this are an avalanche of racism on a scale I've not seen in my time on boards. People are revelling in it. Loads of new posters over the last 24 hours. Disgusting stuff.

100% agree I’m a white irish male but feel disgusted by what you’re allowing in those threads it’s disgraceful. Anyone who tries to call it out gets a warning for trolling so effectively boards.ie is an enabler for online racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes.

Edit :I don't understand why you want to argue with me. I dont want to argue with you. Please leave me alone.
    Thanks

Not sure why he uses that style of replies to your reasonable posts, he seems to think he is a mod or something

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Acosta wrote: »
    Such a horrible day yesterday for all involved. Both the left and right could probably do with taking a step back and taking a breath.

However the threads on this are an avalanche of racism on a scale I've not seen in my time on boards. People are revelling in it. Loads of new posters over the last 24 hours. Disgusting stuff.

Unfortunately, for a lot of issues, CA is the last place you would go to discuss Current Affairs. It's the new Ranting & Raving forum only with a really nasty edge.

I know advertisers love footfall but increasingly they are looking to distance themselves from extreme views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

100% agree I’m a white irish male but feel disgusted by what you’re allowing in those threads it’s disgraceful. Anyone who tries to call it out gets a warning for trolling so effectively boards.ie is an enabler for online racism.

What are you on about? You're calling people bigots in the thread!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Individual mod actions are not for discussion here. There are established ways for posters to challenge mod actions. Commenting about them here is entirely inappropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Somebody very desperately wants to be a mod...

Somebody very desperately wants to be a mod...

Not if they paid me all the hookers and coke in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,732 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Discodog wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for a lot of issues, CA is the last place you would go to discuss Current Affairs. It's the new Ranting & Raving forum only with a really nasty edge.

I know advertisers love footfall but increasingly they are looking to distance themselves from extreme views.

Ranting and Raving doesn’t deserve that moniker. No race religion or politics is allowed in it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Ranting and Raving doesn’t deserve that moniker. No race religion or politics is allowed in it.

I apologise to those who can rant, rave & keep it civil :)

Sadly I don't think it's possible to discuss, potentially controversial issues, on Boards anymore.

But maybe Boards could be persuaded to offer a forum where current affairs can actually be discussed.

I apologise to those who can rant, rave & keep it civil :)

Sadly I don't think it's possible to discuss, potentially controversial issues, on Boards anymore.

But maybe Boards could be persuaded to offer a forum where current affairs can actually be discussed.

That was sort of what brought about the existence of the current affairs forum. It's just gotten a lot worse than even the politics cafe. (And yes, I used post under a previously closed account)

That was sort of what brought about the existence of the current affairs forum. It's just gotten a lot worse than even the politics cafe. (And yes, I used post under a previously closed account)

The rules of the forum are simple but absolute.
    We have one guiding principle: Don't be a dick.

Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal.

You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated. Do not post threats or state or imply that any individual or group is deserving of harm. If we tell you to refrain from behaviour that we regard as uncivil, or that in our view detracts from a productive discussion, do so or face revocation of your posting privileges.

That's a recipe for disaster & was bound to turn into a free for all. I am not fond of moderation but I would ban half the posters on some forums. It's a bit like the way we deal with Covid - make rules but never enforce them.

But clearly some at Boards are happy with CA - maybe there is an argument that it puts all the aggravation in one place. I just think there is a demand for a proper discussion space for current affairs with strict moderating. It's sad when reasonable people are prevented from discussing these issues.

The rules of the forum are simple but absolute.
    We have one guiding principle: Don't be a dick.

Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal.

You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated. Do not post threats or state or imply that any individual or group is deserving of harm. If we tell you to refrain from behaviour that we regard as uncivil, or that in our view detracts from a productive discussion, do so or face revocation of your posting privileges.

That's a recipe for disaster & was bound to turn into a free for all. I am not fond of moderation but I would ban half the posters on some forums. It's a bit like the way we deal with Covid - make rules but never enforce them.

But clearly some at Boards are happy with CA - maybe there is an argument that it puts all the aggravation in one place. I just think there is a demand for a proper discussion space for current affairs with strict moderating. It's sad when reasonable people are prevented from discussing these issues.

You'd ban anyone you see as unreasonable. What if people found you unreasonable?

You'd ban anyone you see as unreasonable. What if people found you unreasonable?

My definition of reasonable is being able to express their opinion without being unpleasant.

But if I were banning, that would mean that I am a Mod & I wouldn't care what people think :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Stricter moderation in CA would be a disaster. It would be better served as a “free for all”. All opinions welcomed and challenged.

More needs to be done to preserve the “lighthearted” standards of forums like “After Hours”. How that ‘Wokeism of the Day’ thread is still in there is beyond me.

Aside from the fact that it’s made up of recent news articles, twitter links and complaining about work colleagues, most of which would, certainly, be classed as “current affairs” the tone, and anger, of the thread is much better suited in CA.

As it is, it’s just a staging area for nasty, and spiteful, users to fester in while making sorties out into the wider forum to spit their hateful “agenda” before scurrying back.

By all means, let things go in CA but don’t apply the same “standards” to the other, more normal, forums.

The tide is turning…

I am not fond of moderation but I would ban half the posters on some forums.

Read that twice and got a great laugh out of it

There's nary a plaint raised from the tutting side of the house here in this entire thread that doesnt boil down to "there should be limits on disagreeing with me".

That works when one point of view either has all the authority or is proven right beyond question.

Neither condition will ever be fulfilled on a message board covering social affairs.

There's nothing else to say on it, until the next time.

Mods are doing a fine job imo, tho there should be twice as many of them to share the load and the policy of allowing namechanges is imo a disaster widely abused.

Stricter moderation in CA would be a disaster. It would be better served as a “free for all”. All opinions welcomed and challenged.

More needs to be done to preserve the “lighthearted” standards of forums like “After Hours”. How that ‘Wokeism of the Day’ thread is still in there is beyond me.

Aside from the fact that it’s made up of recent news articles, twitter links and complaining about work colleagues, most of which would, certainly, be classed as “current affairs” the tone, and anger, of the thread is much better suited in CA.

As it is, it’s just a staging area for nasty, and spiteful, users to fester in while making sorties out into the wider forum to spit their hateful “agenda” before scurrying back.

By all means, let things go in CA but don’t apply the same “standards” to the other, more normal, forums.

Then why not have a normal forum where those that want to actually have a discussion can go ?

Read that twice and got a great laugh out of it

There's nary a plaint raised from the tutting side of the house here in this entire thread that doesnt boil down to "there should be limits on disagreeing with me".

That works when one point of view either has all the authority or is proven right beyond question.

Neither condition will ever be fulfilled on a message board covering social affairs.

There's nothing else to say on it, until the next time.

Mods are doing a fine job imo, tho there should be twice as many of them to share the load and the policy of allowing namechanges is imo a disaster widely abused.

It's nothing to do with being right or having people disagree. It's the way they do it.

Why can't we have both ? Your CA for those that want it & another forum for those who actually want a more typical, mannered Boards discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Then why not have a normal forum where those that want to actually have a discussion can go ?

Is that not what the, main, “Politics” forum is for?

The tide is turning…

Is that not what the, main, “Politics” forum is for?

Current affairs isn't Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Completely untrue. You just can't stand it when people have different opinions to yourself.

If the thread is that bad, would you mind quoting a few of the supposedly nasty and hateful posts?

My definition of reasonable is being able to express their opinion without being unpleasant.

But if I were banning, that would mean that I am a Mod & I wouldn't care what people think :pac:

I find a lot of posters here unpleasant. Wouldnt dream of requesting they were banned.

There's a lot of people on both sides of the aisle that post purely "to bait" people into "an argument" so they can "report them".

But I get where you are coming from, I just wouldn't like to see it happen as it would turn into an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I reckon in the last 2 weeks there has been dozens of posters banned from CA and the site for racism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I reckon in the last 2 weeks there has been dozens of posters banned from CA and the site for racism.

People with a different opinion
    Ban 1 and 10 more appear. Ban the 10 and 100 more appear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement