Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

How many threadbans are people arguing with overheal?..
    You feel like you're banging your head against a wall..
    It was the exact same in the BLM and George Floyd threads..

It's ridiculous to let a couple of posters dictate the terms of a thread..

Anyone with an alternate viewpoint either gives up or is banned over frivolous comments that they're driven to by dealing with people who are not listening to any reason, just pushing an agenda..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whatever, like, I'll get over it, but should the role of moderators not be to ensure one side of the argument doesn't get shouted down by the other as opposed to weigh in very much on one side of a debate?..

One thing you can be assured of is the Trump side of discussions is a hell of a lot louder than the Biden side

And that's not picking sides. It's quite clear and evident in the threads. Of course a lot of Trump supporters and/or indeed posters associating with the extreme right side of politics can and do so in a civil manner. Unfortunately though a much higher proportion seem to tthink it is some kind of slanging match

Beasty wrote: »
    One thing you can be assured of is the Trump side of discussions is a hell of a lot louder than the Biden side

And that's not picking sides. It's quite clear and evident in the threads. Of course a lot of Trump supporters and/or indeed posters associating with the extreme right side of politics can and do so in a civil manner. Unfortunately though a much higher proportion seem to tthink it is some kind of slanging match

What?..are you for real?..like, even there, associating the trump side with 'the extreme right'..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What?..are you for real?..like, even there, associating the trump side with 'the extreme right'..

I am talking about posting in the forum. I am not engaging in a political discussion on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Anyone with an alternate viewpoint either gives up or is banned over frivolous comments that they're driven to by dealing with people who are not listening to any reason, just pushing an agenda..

We currently have many Trump supporters claiming electoral fraud. No evidence other than random you tube vids or blogs, trying to refute these claims is (as you say) like "banging your head against a wall".

Responding is akin to "dealing with people who are not listening to any reason" yet very few cards/bans have been handed out simply because people don't get abusive towards them, if anything people go easy on them.

Playing the victim is all well and good but the only person who will get you banned from a thread is (the collective) you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don’t at all understand the phrasing of your questions here.

I’m threadbanned from the BLM/WLM thread. The mods aren’t responsible for ensuring there are co equal contingents of pro police vs police brutality commentators and it’s not an entitlement of mine, similarly, to be an ordained police brutality commentator on the thread. It’s just as well IMHO, the thread has moved about as fast as molasses since I left, which seems indicative of the lack of constructive argument on the subject as a whole. People weren’t really progressing the central argument they were just lashing out at anyone who called out police brutality, so, there’s little to be gained from giving it more oxygen.

I was just asking the mods a question as to how many people threadbanned from the trump Biden thread were in that position due to your reporting of their posts..

I was just asking the mods a question as to how many people threadbanned from the trump Biden thread were in that position due to your reporting of their posts..

How is it relevant if the posts warranted a ban? Also singling out overheal just seems like a personal gripe..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's not like I have been abusive or anything..the odd smart comment in the face of people not arguing honestly, just pushing an agenda..

The others love the report button, we have to start using it as mods have suggested and the mods investigate your complaint

And how many reports from you or your ilk got me threadbanned etc etc.

Nobody cares. Poster makes a report, mods check it out and make their own call. Not every report leads to an action, not every action is predicated on a report. Whether dozens of pro police brutality posters reported me in that thread or none of them did the mods made the call to keep me off the thread and that's a conversation between me and the mod that did so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People seem to be upset that their posts are reported and think that is why they get threadbanned?

Have you considered that the content of the posts is what gets you thread banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

pjohnson wrote: »
    People seem to be upset that their posts are reported and think that is why they get threadbanned?

Or the same people are reporting my posts to get me banned again !

Gatling wrote: »

That's it..if all my posts are being reported by the same person all the time it's surely harassment..

That's it..if all my posts are being reported by the same person all the time it's surely harassment..
    Gatling wrote: »

So its nothing whatsoever to do with your posts?

There is no validity to your conspiracy.

Can I thank your reports for my threadban? Mods! I'm being harassed!

The others love the report button, we have to start using it as mods have suggested and the mods investigate your complaint

Well to use your term the others, ye seem to have a habit of multiple accounts running at the same time, constantly reg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here is a snapshot of your posts on a thread I was following in the space of an hour. If you can't see why some of them wouldn't be reported its a lost cause.

532141.JPG

I have a genuine interest in reading the thread but it's posts like these that completely derail the conversation and adds nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You do know that overusing the report function is also a ban hammer offence right?

If i were to report your posts everyday I would get banned for that.

Great to see the mob mentality prevalent in the thread continue on to the feedback forum..

Great to see the mob mentality prevalent in the thread continue on to the feedback forum..

Persecutory delusions are a set of delusional conditions in which the affected persons believe they are being persecuted, despite a lack of evidence. Specifically, they have been defined as containing two central elements:[1]
    1. The individual thinks that harm is occurring, or is going to occur.
    2. The individual thinks that the perceived persecutor has the intention to cause harm.

• Advertisement

What?

Overheal wrote: »
    Persecutory delusions are a set of delusional conditions in which the affected persons believe they are being persecuted, despite a lack of evidence. Specifically, they have been defined as containing two central elements:[1]
    1. The individual thinks that harm is occurring, or is going to occur.
    2. The individual thinks that the perceived persecutor has the intention to cause harm.

You should report the post..

I'm being objective here: do you have any evidence for your perceived persecution? "mob mentality" and "harassment?"

Granted I'm not a mod here but pretty sure that a "report" does not automatically equal "ban".

A report simply highlights a post for the moderator to review the post to see if it breaches the rules. Thats how it works on 98.7% of discussion forums...

If its different here feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Reported.

Or that it's really annoying to see a person consistently flouting the rules so they're reporting it. So far it seems like you're annoyed that moderators are made aware that you're breaking the rules.

Or that it's really annoying to see a person consistently flouting the rules so they're reporting it. So far it seems like you're annoyed that moderators are made aware that you're breaking the rules.

Indeed if you get threadbanned 3 times and constantly flout that threadban could you really argue that someone was out to get you? If there was really a cabal out for you they would have made sure you didn't get away with posting again the first, second, or third time. That didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

pjohnson wrote: »

Have you considered that the content of the posts is what gets you thread banned?

It's 'we test so we have cases' level of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Tbf,a mod could put this bed,if they shown a screenshot of who reported his posts?

The posters could put it to bed by obeying the rules.

Or at least taking their medicine instead whining like little children.

It’s pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Tbf,a mod could put this bed,if they shown a screenshot of who reported his posts?

Never gonna happen, reports are confidential :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement