Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭This is it

Do thread bans carry over?

This is it wrote: »
    Do thread bans carry over?

Yeah unless a mod has agreed to lift the ban on the latest version of the thread, from what I can see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I put my hand up to any errors or omissions on this first draft of the list.

As Baggly said the list is going to be subjected to ongoing verification so it may be modified or updated over the next while. The source data for the list is approximately 40,000 posts across 4 threads so initial errors are certainly a possibility.

Anyone who has been threadbanned, and wishes to participate in the thread they are banned from again, can contact a forum mod to discuss this, this has always been the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Faugheen wrote: »
    I got carded the other day and I’m a Biden supporter.

Delusional.

Of course, my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Faugheen wrote: »
    I got carded the other day and I’m a Biden supporter.

Delusional.

Trump's own victim complex seems to be rubbing off on his fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Maybe it's that one side don't feel the need to report every dig against their side, while the other side can't take the heat and hit the report button for every imagined slight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Maybe it's that one side don't feel the need to report every dig against their side, while the other side can't take the heat and hit the report button for every imagined slight

Yes it’s the people reporting the crimes that are at fault, not the criminals.

What a bunch of snowflakes.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Yes it’s the people reporting the crimes that are at fault, not the criminals.

What a bunch of snowflakes.
    Who says there's been a crime committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’s an analogy.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It’s an analogy.

Yea I know.

Why was 'sleepy Joe' banned?

Why wasn't 'IMPOTUS' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yea I know.

Why was 'sleepy Joe' banned?

Why wasn't 'IMPOTUS' ?

No evidence Biden is "sleepy"

Plenty of evidence that Trump was Impeached

#IMPOTUS = IMpeached POTUS

trump supporters :-)

No evidence Biden is "sleepy"

Plenty of evidence that Trump was Impeached

#IMPOTUS = IMpeached POTUS

You're being a wee bit disingenuous there, I feel....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/george-conway-trump-impotus_n_5dfc6f05e4b0b2520d089ab1?

The list of threadbanned posters is very one sided..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The fact your name appears 3 times certainly sways the balance

TBH you should have picked up forum bans each time you posted when threadbanned, so you are fortunate to even have access to the forum

EDIT - but seeing you continue to post in the thread even today you have now picked up a forum ban

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

One might hope they'd use it as an opportunity for a little introspection rather than blaming everyone else.

Beasty wrote: »
    The fact your name appears 3 times certainly sways the balance

TBH you should have picked up forum bans each time you posted when threadbanned, so you are fortunate to even have access to the forum

EDIT - but seeing you continue to post in the thread even today you have now picked up a forum ban

It's why I asked if thread bans carry over. How can they be on it 3 times. Twice, maybe. Lifted after the first and banned again, but 3 times.

As the old saying goes; fool me once, strike one, fool me twice, strike three.

Trump supporters often tend to behave worse, it's a reality tbh.

It's not like I have been abusive or anything..the odd smart comment in the face of people not arguing honestly, just pushing an agenda..

It's not like I have been abusive or anything..the odd smart comment in the face of people not arguing honestly, just pushing an agenda..

Makes no odds what they were for really. I'd have no problem giving a second chance to someone but to get thread banned 3 times is a bit much

• Advertisement

Whatever, like, I'll get over it, but should the role of moderators not be to ensure one side of the argument doesn't get shouted down by the other as opposed to weigh in very much on one side of a debate?..

Whatever, like, I'll get over it, but should the role of moderators not be to ensure one side of the argument doesn't get shouted down by the other as opposed to weigh in very much on one side of a debate?..
    Moderators have been enforcing the rules stringently on posts from both sides tbh. It's not limited to just one group.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,090 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No if users choose to take an indefensible position, eg. Climate change denial it’s not the role of moderators to make sure there’s a “balanced discussion” between one climate change denier and 30 climate change realists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Moderators have been enforcing the rules stringently on posts from both sides tbh. It's not limited to just one group.

Agree 100%

Overheal wrote: »
    No if users choose to take an indefensible position, eg. Climate change denial it’s not the role of moderators to make sure there’s a “balanced discussion” between one climate change denier and 30 climate change realists.

So it's mob rule so, is it?

So it's mob rule so, is it?

That’s an awfully misguided and melodramatic way of interpreting what I just said.

What do you want, an “electoral college” style skewing of threads so that the view of 1 denialist = 30 realists? Are the realists only supposed to post 1/30th as often?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's there in the link you provided.

Overheal wrote: »
    That’s an awfully misguided and melodramatic way of interpreting what I just said.

Just out of interest, have you been reporting posts or have all these bans been the mods taking it upon themselves?..

Just out of interest, have you been reporting posts or have all these bans been the mods taking it upon themselves?..

Of course I report posts. Mods here have asked for reports ad infinitum. If you don’t report posts you have little Avenue to complain about actionable posts.

That doesn’t connect with your loaded question mind. My reporting posts does not correlate with mods being able to take their own actions on their own observations.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is it wrote: »
    It's why I asked if thread bans carry over. How can they be on it 3 times. Twice, maybe. Lifted after the first and banned again, but 3 times.

As the old saying goes; fool me once, strike one, fool me twice, strike three.
    I agree. In that case the bans were applied in different variants of the same topic. We state threadbans carry over in each OP. I know we've started listing them in the OP and there are a few threads in the Coronavirus forum where we do the same. It's good practice particularly for these long running multi-threads and wepergaps need to be more consistent on the point

In this case it seems to have been cases of slipping through the net

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement