Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after working 9-5

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

pconn062 wrote: »
    This thread makes me glad I don't work a 9-5/6 job. It madthat we have developed a world where we dedicate 40-50 hours a week of the best years of our lives to corporations and companies. I try to get by on 15/20 hrs a week work most of the time. Sure I don't earn as much as my friends but when I hear of their 8.30-5.30 working day plus 1hr+ travel and the stress that accompanies it, I feel richer.

Not much most of us can do about that, unfortunately. But I’m not volunteering to run around looking after children in what would have been my free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Not much most of us can do about that, unfortunately. But I’m not volunteering to run around looking after children in what would have been my free time.

Agreed, and that wasn't a "ha ha, I'm so lucky post". A lot of people enjoy their job and enjoy money but when you read this thread you see a lot of sacrifice for that job and money.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Strangely when you have kids you'll find absolute pleasure in things you would have never dreamed off,

For instance I didn't get to the park last night because of the rain and I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes putting 3 dollies under a cot and retrieving them with my little girl , she's 1 and a half, It was so much fun the laughter and giggles make it all worth while ,

Life changes as does the things that you find joy in ,

I built a horse stable with a glue gun and lollypop sticks yesterday evening while belting out Alicia Keys songs.

Strangely when you have kids you'll find absolute pleasure in things you would have never dreamed off,

For instance I didn't get to the park last night because of the rain and I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes putting 3 dollies under a cot and retrieving them with my little girl , she's 1 and a half, It was so much fun the laughter and giggles make it all worth while ,

That’s the playing with them though. It’s the feeding them, bathing them, getting them to do homework, preparing lunches and schoolbags...would feel a second job.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That’s the playing with them though. It’s the feeding them, bathing them, getting them to do homework, preparing lunches and schoolbags...would feel a second job.

nah, you include them in all that stuff and make it interesting and make games out of it all. It keeps you busy, but not a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I remember my mother telling me something similar when I was a teenager and I laughed at her. Still laughing 25 years later.

Its not a when, its a choice. Each to their own and all that.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    nah, you include them in all that stuff and make it interesting and make games out of it all. It keeps you busy, but not a job.

Getting me to do homework was no game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

gifted wrote: »
    And your point is?

People who decide to have kids, knowing full well how time consuming they are then act the martyr and the tell childless/ child free amongst us that it’s well for them, living the life with all that free time. Tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,624 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I remember my mother telling me something similar when I was a teenager and I laughed at her. Still laughing 25 years later.

Its not a when, its a choice. Each to their own and all that.

Even without kids what you enjoy will change with time, and of course having kids is not for some people and that's fine each to there own ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Daisy78 wrote: »
    People who decide to have kids, knowing full well how time consuming they are then act the martyr and the tell childless/ child free amongst us that it’s well for them, living the life with all that free time. Tiresome.

Ah there's a difference between knowing something in theory and living it. I'm sure we've all gotten into situations eyes wide open where if we'd fully appreciated the reality of it we never would have done it.

I'm not going handing out any medals to people for minding their own children but a bit of a moan does no harm.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Exactly make things fun and they will be fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

9 to 5? try 8 to 6..;)

When I come home I like to clean the house and do the garden 15 acres.... mowing and strimming takes a while. Iron, wash and tidy the house takes about an hour most evenings. Then cook.

If I have a project going (currently am redoing a bathroom, ripped out old shower and re-did it with plumbing and tiling, just have the floor tiling and the painting left to do) that takes a lot of my time also. Hate installing toilets so a plumber friend is coming over this weekend to do it. The vanity and lighting are being done by me also. Have LED conduit to install all around the shower and room on the ceiling and two strips of waterproof conduit with lights in the tile of the shower to install.

I do not drink and hate pubs, so if not cooking will go out with friends for a meal once a week at least. I also work out some evenings either at home or the local gym. I love to just settle in and do nothing some evenings, that is my relaxation time, that could be sitting in the dark meditating or listening to some music.

Work is work, free time should not be wasted doing nothing at all... that is my thing... I hate being idle, but also know I have to look after ME too.... and that is not a campaign..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Even without kids what you enjoy will change with time, and of course having kids is not for some people and that's fine each to there own ,

Fair enough. May have taken you up wrong with your use of "when".

Fair enough. May have taken you up wrong with your use of "when".

Sorry maybe my wording was confusing ,I meant "when " as in for the people who become parents ,

Id never be one to say anything like "when" when it comes to kids, to many people can't have them or don't want them that its a minefield not worth treading on, Plus its a very private and personal thing in life so each to there own ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

Daisy78 wrote: »

Until you have kids you have no idea how time consuming kids are, i know i certainly didnt, read my post again, I never told anyone who is childless that they are living the life. I never act like a martyr because I have kids, the op asked a question and I answered.
    Move along if your not happy with my contribution, I have to go now cos the kids need me, and I love it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Until you have kids you have no idea how time consuming kids are, i know i certainly didnt, read my post again, I never told anyone who is childless that they are living the life. I never act like a martyr because I have kids, the op asked a question and I answered.
    Move along if your not happy with my contribution, I have to go now cos the kids need me, and I love it .

Yeah a friend who just had his first is learning right now how hard it is.

Well I'm the opposite. I am a Martyr. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Get stoned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Get stoned.

jehovah jehovah

Advertisement