Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after working 9-5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I do yoga, make some food, this time of year potter in the garden. I'm doing some voluntary work for a film festival right now which is great, can spend an hour or two watching short films which might be amazing, might be complete sh1t.

But I always, always make sure to keep some time carved out for the pinnacle of self care: marijuana and masturbation.

Very important to do it in that order. End up with some funky smelling joints otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I usually go and check they haven't found any of the bodies yet and then go look for any new opportunities.

Its great with the extra few hours in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

gifted wrote: »
    Have Kids......then ask yourself wtf you were thinking when you posted on boards about nothing to do in the evenings

In fairness you knew what you were signing up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I usually go and check they haven't found any of the bodies yet and then go look for any new opportunities.

Its great with the extra few hours in the summer.

Extra stretch in the evening is great for catching the odd jogger off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Extra stretch in the evening is great for catching the odd jogger off guard.

Are you talking about “sharking”, D? A very juvenile, and also dangerous, practice. One I could not condone.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

Daisy78 wrote: »
    In fairness you knew what you were signing up for.

And your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Go home, sometimes eat, sometimes don't. Watch football or Netflix. Shower. Sleep. Go to work. Rinse and repeat. Except on Friday when I go straight to the pub after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Home. Start the prep for the dinner. Make dinner. Clean up after dinner. Check kids homework. Tidy up. Put on washing and hang out wet clothes. Get kids ready for bed. Make kids lunches and my own. Tidy up after that. Empty dishwasher. Sort out schoolbags and uniforms for the next day. Set out my own clothes, cycle helmet, backpack etc for the morning.

"Did you see that new tele programme last night mf?"

"No...Didn't get a chance"

"Jesus...What do you do every evening that you can't watch tele for a few hours".

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Love nothing better than a run, a cycle or an hour in the kayak.

For me it also has to be out away from traffic and housing estates.

No music.

(I have kids but fit in something 3 or 4 evenings and both weekend days. Wife goes to Zumba , yoga or runs most days too. Only takes one of us to be there for that hour)

Are you talking about “sharking”, D? A very juvenile, and also dangerous, practice. One I could not condone.

God no, wouldn't be into that at all. Just straight up murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Love nothing better than a run, a cycle or an hour in the kayak.

For me it also has to be out away from traffic and housing estates.

No music.

It seems I may shortly get murdered

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Murph76 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

What are you people doing after working x hours in the evening? To me, it seems like you get home, drop off your bag, eat something, and the day is basically over..

And suggestions?
    :)

Lift weights, it will change your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

mfceiling wrote: »
    Home. Start the prep for the dinner. Make dinner. Clean up after dinner. Check kids homework. Tidy up. Put on washing and hang out wet clothes. Get kids ready for bed. Make kids lunches and my own. Tidy up after that. Empty dishwasher. Sort out schoolbags and uniforms for the next day. Set out my own clothes, cycle helmet, backpack etc for the morning.

Why would you clean the kitchen, then make a mess of it again by making lunches, and then clean it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

more work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Generally do very little during the week. Finish work around 6 but don't get home till after 7/closer to 7:30 with the traffic

I like to do absolutely nothing for maybe half an hour when I get in so by the time I then make something to eat, eat it and tidy up the evening is basically gone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Why would you clean the kitchen, then make a mess of it again by making lunches, and then clean it again?

you and my wife would get on well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

spodoinkle wrote: »
    you and my wife would get on well.

That is technically soliciting. Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    when I get home from work is when the day starts!

Not a great philosophy, it's important to enjoy your job and have an interest in what you do, I was in a job I hated for years and it really effected my mental state.

Great to have broken free ...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not a great philosophy, it's important to enjoy your job and have an interest in what you do, I was in a job I hated for years and it really effected my mental state.

Great to have broken free ...

I do enjoy my job, and I'm f*cking incredible at what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Because I can't be arsed starting to make lunches til everyone is in bed and the house is quiet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depends on the day. Usually get home after 7, put the kids to bed.

On Monday I then go to football, come home cook and chill for a bit. Other days I clean up after the kids, cook and eat around 9, do house stuff, watch a show or 2 until 11 and hit the gym. And the days I don't go to the gym I would do some hobbies or play a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I do some form of exercise in the evening - a jog (if it's nice out) or the gym.
    Listen to music, watch a bit of Netflix, read.
    Practice music for my weekly rehearsal in the local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Home, walk the dog if I'm on the post-work long walk. Make the dinner. I love cooking and find it really relaxing, it's how I unwind after the working day. I live with my sister and we eat together at the kitchen table every evening, no phones allowed. We usually end up sitting there for a good hour or more after dinner chatting. Potter in the garden for a while tending my herbs and veg. If I'm on the shorter dog-walk roster, I walk her before bed. Go to bed and read for an hour or so.

On Tuesdays I meet my dad for a drink after work and on Wednesdays I do a tap-dancing class. Every other week I meet two friends for an early bird, usually on a Thursday. From September on I'll have rehearsals for a show on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

3 days gym , home for dinner, play with the kids put them to bed watch an episode of what ever the latest binge is

2 days kids to the park and home for dinner, kids to bed and watch and episode of what ever the latest binge is ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It's frightening sometimes - you wonder where your life and the months/years go and it seems you only take stock or are called into account when you have a life changing event or a job interview and have to take stock!!

With all of the hours every day spent on work, always extra 'must be done' overtime, the grind of commuting and traffic and getting home to preparung & cooking you'd wonder how people have time for proper hobbies or to engage in social interests outside the house. Thank God for the long nights coming in where there's far less excuses for collapsing on the couch in full graze mode and a bit more scope to get out and be active -even if its just walking around the estate or a stroll by the sea. The best things I have ever done are high energy gym classes and cooking classes no politics, no family chat, just energy, laughter,chat, mysterious delights and great craic!Must look another one up soon!

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Between going out to dinner, going to the gym, partaking in other leisure activities, and riding a different woman every night of the week, it's hard to find free time for anything after a day's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Well this thread makes me glad I don’t have kids.

Life in general gives me the same feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strangely when you have kids you'll find absolute pleasure in things you would have never dreamed off,

For instance I didn't get to the park last night because of the rain and I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes putting 3 dollies under a cot and retrieving them with my little girl , she's 1 and a half, It was so much fun the laughter and giggles make it all worth while ,

Life changes as does the things that you find joy in ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This thread makes me glad I don't work a 9-5/6 job. It madthat we have developed a world where we dedicate 40-50 hours a week of the best years of our lives to corporations and companies. I try to get by on 15/20 hrs a week work most of the time. Sure I don't earn as much as my friends but when I hear of their 8.30-5.30 working day plus 1hr+ travel and the stress that accompanies it, I feel richer.

Advertisement