Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Did they spell their own captain's name wrong 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya.

There are Hannah's out there in Limerick and most famously this looper who led a crusade against Frank McCourt (though might be a Clare man or actually Dayman looking at the suit). Decky is a HannOn as you rightly spotted.

That new team graphic is weird because it looks like a downgrade on the old one. As long as it's the only thing we mess up this weekend I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

both injured , , o'connor is out with a while , garry injured in training last week ,

i expect to see changes to that side , loads of talk of kyle hayes starting corner forward , i think he will be at 11 , cathal o neill will be wing back and o dalaigh will come in for david reidy and go into corner forward

i dont think kelly will start , but shane o'donnell and david mcinerney will for the two galvins , david reidy will play the roming card for us if kelly dosnt start

People are talking about O'Neill at wing back because of some league performances over Hayes who is championship tested. Personally I don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭High bike

No way will o dalaigh start,I think Lynch will be at 11 and reidy roaming from the corner,agreed odonnell and mcinerney will start for clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The spies are saying some of that alright. But spies get told things to repeat too… Apparently, O'Neill never stopped training at wing back. You wouldn't know what to believe until it happens. I've heard Hayes is going to cf to run the legs off Conlon then they'll put O'Neill on him after 50 minutes…

I think Kelly with 20/15 to go will be a big boost. It's a lot to ask him after so long out though…but I do think he has a natural sharpness.

clare 2-20 1-09 waterford

what was a potential banana skin turned out to be a miss match as waterford struggled in the dungarvan sun this evening , after a quick fire score from jason curry , clare kicked the next 8 before alan dunwoody kicked a super score from range , the hosts had a goal chance of sorts but fluffed it , stephen ryan was caught out of position playing sweeper keeper in the waterford half of the field but waterford couldnt work the ball up the field , and instead of shooting from distance into an empty net they looked for a man marked tom O'Connell , allowing stephen to get back in time

emmett mcmahon shortly after found the net at the cappoquin side of the ground , his initial shot was saved but taped in the rebound , it was though only clare goal chance of the half , it was game over after that , clare led by 10 , 1-11 to 0-4 at half time

second half started like the first half ended ,arron griffin palmed a ball wide after a strong daragh bohannon run , mcinerney made amends a few minutes later to make it 2-13 to 0-5 , within 60 seconds tom o'connell had the ball in the clare net and from here waterford finished the game well finishing the final period 1-5 to 0-7 ,in that final period clare were awarded a penalty but that was overturned to a 45 and also had another goal disallowed with 15 minutes to go, mark fitz at this point had emptied the bench and diarmuid o donnell and cormac murray had impressive second half's but worryingly with bohannon mcmahon and mark mcinerney off the field waterford ran at the clare backs with ease , and conjured up 4 goal chances something that is a huge worry with kerry up next

its the first time in 87 years that we have made back to back munster finals 1937 to be exact but its progress for mark fitz and this young side ,arron griffin ciaran downes , emmett mcmahon and mark mcinerney were excellent but the level of shooting space offered up tonight in dungarvin will diminish dramatically on the 5th of may

Emmett McMahon 1-3, 1f

Mark McInerney 1-2, 1f

Aaron Griffin 0-5

Ciaran Downes 0-4, 1f

Daragh Bohannon, 0-2

Diarmuid O'Donnell 0-2

Cormac Murray, 0-1

Dermot Coughlan 0-1

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

my assumption was because i have never seen cathal play at midfield i assumed hayes would be moved up , david reidy i always had down as a wing forward too ,

i was talking to someone today about how hard it must be for the two camps to keep everything so close to their chests , alan cunningham and kinerek both living in shannon , cunningham is still an active member of wolfe tones gaa club which has 3 players on the 26 not to mention the manager

our controversial hurley carrier from kilmaley has plenty of tall tails put out around the town of ennis to throw ye off , but i doubt john kiely would buy the story that tony kelly fell off the roof of his house trying to get a better signal on his dodgy box and will have to spend the rest of his intercounty days in goals …….

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

A bad game of hurling

Decided by a bad goalie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

The second half was as bad as the first half was good.. just dropped off and handed the advantage to Limerick in the last 20. 3 stupid goals aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

The second we pulled O'Donnell Rodgers etc back down the field to protect the lead. Limerick took over. Upto that point we were pretty comfortable. Lohan really does annoy me sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Clare yer usual selves. Game there for the winning and the players caved in. Why drop players back and let Limerick play from the back?

5 minutes of madness probably lost it for us again like the tipperary game this time last year , byrnes's goal dropped short and no one alert to it , two minutes later hogan slips and donnacha o dalaigh is in one on one with the keeper to level it , again quilligan didn't cover himself in glory , 2 minutes later gillane has the ball in the back of the net and its turned on its head

whatever about conceding soft goals the fact that our full forward line was beaten asunder for the last 10 15 minutes is the real worry , our average score last year was 2-22 today we only managed 1-18 thats 1-4 off what i would call a match wining target ,

second half was poor yes but limerick were always going to find that extra gear to come back ,the problem is we helped them as much as we could along the way , huge improvement needed next week to beat cork

nonsense , when you concede 3 goals as soft as that it doesn't matter what tactic you use , and we didnt withdraw players back we never changed that tactic in the last ten minutes , in fact it was limerick dropping back that smothered our forwards which created the space one on one that led to two of the 3 limerick goals , albeit fortunate as they were

How does a team 9 up leave that much space for the opposition to score a few goals ?

To me it looks like Clare so sure of the win the pushed on to try embarrass Limerick and lost the run of themselves. Also it seems clear that ye go too hard early and can't keep the "hell for leather" stuff up for 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think it's fair to say that Clares game management was poor. Like a poster said Limerick were always going to start that 'green wave 'but we haemorrhaged scores. The goalie is a dud , a disgrace to have let in O Dalaighs shot. But it was lost out the field . No player stepping up when needed. The Limerick Subs were excellent ..ran us into the ground. There was a surreal atmosphere after going 9 up ....crowd were waiting for one more score and then Clare Blinked. Limerick have leaders..everywhere. Nash, Hegarty, Hayes.. Hayes was excellent throughout. Lynch was a dynamo. Clare are in trouble now..big trouble and it's self inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lack of game management is something that has to be expected while Lohan is over them

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭shocs07

Cork Clare game could be season-defining all of a sudden

to be honest we were being killed in the forwards , we were wining nothing all day , from the point we got our first goal we hardly had 3 more possessions in the limerick 45 before half time , we had to push up extra men to try and win what ever breaks we could , up to the 60th minute hogan and cleary had held their men scoreless , o dalaigh changed that when he came on for flanagan , but he was unlucky for the goal he slipped at the wrong time , gillane only scored that goal form play , so the backs were doing fine , the problem was from the half forward line up , we scored 8 points from the 29th minute up we simply couldnt buy ourselves a break against the limerick backs , ,morrissey nash , hannon kyle hayes all out standing today they were the difference even when limerick were shooting wide after wide we still couldnt break them down

• Advertisement

i dont see it that way at all , even if we do lose in cork we put ourselves back in the race immediately with a win against waterford , you must realise all 4 teams have still to play limerick and it will take a serious team to beat them in fairness

i totally agree with all this up to the last line , we are in no more trouble then we were before today , the reality is limerick are the best team in the country and it will take a serious team to stop them , what we want now is for them to continue on wining , and get our own house in order for next week , if cork win then it becomes a straight shootout in the last few weeks where the margin for error will vanish

I lost count of the number of times the ball was pucked out to Duggan and all players usually rushed to the break except one who stayed around the D. This was McCarthy left inside (sometimes it was Rodgers). He got a great point at one stage - maybe around the 57th minute - but it didn't work enough in the last 15 mins. I also remember O'Donnell coming out with ball from his own half back line at one stage in the second half. Why would ever take him anywhere out of the full forward line?
    Around the 60th minute there's nine Clare players in the middle of the field. Only six Limerick players. And Conlon is getting pulled away from goal and not protecting the D. But Clare win the ball, hit it in. It's Rodgers v Finn & Nash. Nash playing in front wins it handy. It comes to nothing. But Clare had completely lost their shape. Another puck out to Duggan follows, five Limerick players around him, three Clare players. Limerick win it easy. They come up field. Conlon is in midfield, trying to follow O'Neill!!!!!! Comes to nothing again but that's the pattern of the game now… Long free into the goal area, Quaid takes it easy. Ball is played out to O'Neill in the centre back position and Conlon is following him!!! Ball played in - it's 6 Limerick players v 8 Clare players and Limerick battle it to a sideline. They take Rodgers off (madness). Limerick work a Reidy point.

Next play, O'Neill has sucked Conlon out to midfield again. But Clare still have 3 v 2 at the back. But Three players get sucked into watching ground hurling between O'D and Hegarty and O'D bounces it in from nearly twenty five yards.

Next puck out? Straight to the exhausted Duggan. Another easy pick up for the Limerick lads - they know where every puck is going. Clare backs are bunching around one man in front of the goal. I don't think Conlon now knows that Hegarty is his man. He's lost him. Hegarty completely on his own on the wing. Goal 3 follows.

The puck out options didn't vary enough - as a result Limerick swarmed Duggan as he tired, and just got possession after possession.
    Clare tried to pack the middle third, by bringing forwards back and also keep an extra man back, sometimes two, but Limerick just went long ball and bypassed the middle. They figured that out.

that was basically the plan it seemed all day bring out the forwards to stand under fitz or duggan and win the break , most of the time limerick were sharper and were first , more often then not they were wining the rucks , it was happening long before the last ten minutes its just the level of sometimes shocking wides they hit were keeping us well ahead

we scored 8 points in the second half something like 2 points every 10 minutes , we had no ryan taylor or tony kelly to pick up brakes and drive us on , we normally rotate the forwards as in inside line with outside line thats probably why you seen o donnell so deep , but in truth he probably only won a handful of ball in the whole game

shanagher was the first player to come on but for some reason lohan didnt bring him on until the game was over , taken rodgers off was crazy too , as for the goalkeeper , eamon foudy is the best keeper in the county but he fucked himself last year against ye , it will be intresting to see will quilligan get the chop next week

Very true. Limerick had an ocean of wides. Even missed a good few goal chances in the first fifteen minutes. Took the wind out of their sails. Clare hit a lot of bad wides in the second half. Rodgers missed a very easy goal chance. Bounced it too far out. But you could say the same of O'D…

I'm not sure what Pat Ryan is doing. He's basically picking a Kingston team. He's turned out to be very conservative. His arse might be in the bacon slicer if he doesn't get results. I think most managers in their second years at inter county level have 18 and 19 year olds on the panel (perhaps not the match day panel) and a fair smattering of early twenty somethings getting game time to transition to a new team.

26 wides for Limerick. Cobwebs blown off now. First game at home all year. Tough one for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

i think they had 14 in the end 9 by half time , we had 10 , i think 6 or 7 of them were in the second half

i have wondered is there a player power issue there , i meen even in the league the same 3 names were constantly starting , in horgan lehane and harnedy , i would actually be worried if they dropped them for younger lads next week

• Advertisement

Advertisement