Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If Kelly and O’Donnell are unfit to play any part in 2 weeks, how can they be fit to face Limerick?!

especially SOD, if he’s not injured then surely he’d benefit from game time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

By my reckoning, since 2015, the league winners have won 3 all irelands out of 9. Galway and Limerick twice. That was Galway's breakthrough year for the first all ireland in a long time. Maybe that's what Clare need.

Lohan said after they game he expects them to be ready.

"It just depends on the medical team, physios, doctor, to give us the nod in relation to getting them on the field," he said.

"We're hoping they will be in a position to play the next day but we'll see."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

being honest i wouldn't have this year as the year we win it , the squad is getting stronger for sure and we have the backing of some really good under age players if we beat kilkenny in two weeks time it would act as something for out efforts over the last 3 years ,

obviously i will change my mind completely if we do find ourselves back in an all ireland semi final again this year ,

I liked what I saw from Clare. A lot of very smart play and movement. I liked how deep ye went and the bunch and break was top notch from the forwards. Fitz is in the form of his life.

Plus, ye had a bit of line smarts today. When Tipp were going well at the start of the 2nd, Lohan started throwing abuse at the 4th official, then got on the field and harangued the ref until he got his yellow (Right out of the, dare I say it, Davy playbook). He broke up the play and Tipp's momentum. Perhaps, Cahill should have done that in the first five minutes...

Ye got off to a flyer and that won ye the game - ye had a grip of it from then. Gave us a great lesson in movement, puck out strategy, and using the wings to stretch a team. Blistering start.

Lads, ye should be beating Kilkenny. Ye have the players and a stronger panel of players. Although, ye should be getting more goals. We were shagged in the first half and ye took some points when ye should've went for the jugular. If ye play a sweeper against Kilkenny again and invite them on, ye deserve everything coming to ye. The time is now for Clare. There's a right blend there.

• Advertisement

i think if we are to be beating kilkenny we would need to be much more full strength then today , everyone talks them down but they have made the las two all ireland finals and last years league final and current leinster champions , we need to beat them more so to right the wrongs of the last 2 years against them rather then the silverware i feel

lohan and davey are so similar in reality its not funny , both as stubborn as each other and even as hot headed , but lohan keeps it country most of the time in front of the cameras where's davey cant help himself , lohan is a better tactician he is more willing to rotate a team or even change style of play , the one thing he has on fitz though is his ability to improve players

the likes of daragh lohan , cian galvin and especially conor leen have shown some serious improvement , leen looks like he could play anywhere in the back 6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone know if Ian McNamara of Killanena is on the senior panel? Should be a great corner back prospect for the future.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

probably still on the under 20s , not on the seniors , but himself and his brother are great prospects from a great club keeping their heads just above water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It would be fine if they were allowed to toss for the venue.

Might be good to get a game in Cork, seeing as we go there in the championship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

So it's Thurles at 7.15 on the Saturday. It will be a late one if it goes to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Galvin could afford to take league seriously as was always going to walk Leinster.

Similarly with Kerry (and cork back when they were any good).

Would Galvin have done the same if he had to say play kerry, mayo, tyrone, cork in a robin robin with only 3 getting through within a couple of weeks of final, im not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A balls of a time for everyone, but especially for people with kids.

The GAA always mess it up someway. It's too expensive, or too late or on in Cork.

I do wonder why the GAA pick such times.

Generally, it also means lower attendances, families less likely to go etc.

There must be a reason but I really can't think of it. A throw-in somewhere between 2pm and 5pm for this match would be fine.

The only championship match I see down for April 6th is London v Galway in the football at 3pm, but I'd doubt that's even on TV.

People were giving out about the semi final time for the Saturday in Cork in relation to work. But I don't think that's why it's been changed. No doubt its due to TV scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Clare are playing in the ladies football Div 3 final at 4pm. GAA fixtures are a minefield tbh. No matter what time you put something on people give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Derry also have taken the league serious over the last few years and it hasn’t done them any harm.

Dublin were so far ahead of most teams under Gavin that they took every game serious as basically the players were playing for positions, which meant that they never slacked up or let up against any team.

They literally made a show of Tyrone in the 2017 semi final.

Clare are a top 4 team in the hurling now over the last few years, I think we will get out of Munster again this year and be in the Munster Final. I could be made eat my words but I think we are better than Waterford, Tipp and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

How does a clubless pleb get a ticket for this Limerick game then…?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Head up town the day of the match, there's always tickets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Advertisement

i was going to say the same thing , the only thing i would add is ,if you dont get on with your own club you can join another ,they will be happy to take your money just as well

as a fellow football man you know the craic , the hurling is king and we will back them all the way , but there is no reason with all the work we are putting in under the radar that we cant spend another 7 plus seasons in division 2 again , anytime football was backed by the board it paid off , in the 1940s we had a serious team beat kerry and lost to derry in a national league division 1 final , lost to mayo in the minor final of 1958 , in the 1980s we spent most of our time in division 2 before spending a decade in division 1 , missing out narrowly on a historic double in munster without mentioning 92

to me this should be our level in division 2 and pushing for top 8 championship finish's as much as possible , i know it cant happen every year but very plausible targets ,

…..

Are ye training for Limerick or Kilkenny this week? Tough one.

We probably say the same thing every year under Lohan, but it really feels like nothing gets out of the camp. Which is probably a good thing in the scheme of things.

I'd like to see Clare give it a good go (and no red cards or injuries!)

In other news I see that Adam Hogan won player of the Fitzgibbon Cup for this year. I do think it's noteworthy when a corner back wins these types of awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Yeah we definitely should be aiming to be in as high a division as possible. In fairness I think apart from the top 3 teams we could give most teams a decent game. The Down game wasn’t a true reflection of Clare and Down showed against Westmeath that they aren’t as good as they looked at times against Clare.

In a way it was important to consolidate other Division 3 status as teams that have got relegated from one division have slide and got relegated from another division two years in succession.

One of the biggest issues with Clare and Clare club football is that we are a handpassing and running team and most of the club teams are this way too. Like we have some very good players, athletes and point takers but we have very few genuinely good kick passers of the ball in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Lohan won it when he was playing.. at Wing back.

Good start to the weekend with the minors winning comfortably last night v Waterford.

Senior team named for Sunday. David Mac and Shane O'Donnell among the subs, so hopefully both can play a part and be ready for Limerick in 2 weeks. Conor Leen keeps his place (ahead of Rory Hayes or Flanagan). Darragh Lohan also starts.

Still no sign of either Ryan Taylor or Tony Kelly. But great guys to have coming back later in the season when games come thick and fast. We play Limerick and Cork in successive weekends, but then have 3 weeks off until Waterford on May 19th. That gives the lads 6 weeks from now to be ready.

I think probably 13 of these will start v Limerick, with D.McInerney coming back in for C.Galvin, and SOD coming in for either Reidy or I.Galvin.

Clare’s full senior squad is as follows:

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

2. Adam Hogan (Feakle)

3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)

4. Conor Leen (Corofin)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

6. John Conlon (Clonlara)

7. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

8. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)

9. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)

10. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

11. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

13. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

14. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

15. David Reidy (Éire Óg)

16. Cian Broderick (Clarecastle)

17. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

18. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

19. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

20. David McInerney (Tulla)

21. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)

22. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)

23. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)

24. Shane Meehan (Banner)

25. Patrick Crotty (Scariff)

26. Gearoid Sheedy (Ogonnelloe)

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Hard to judge the minors as Waterford were very poor but we were a much better coached team. Bigger tests ahead.

You'd have to think Davey Mc would have to get serious game time this week to be in consideration for Limerick. Don't think Taylor is in contention for the first couple of games but should make the end of the group stage.

• Advertisement

given that limerick wont be 100% either come the first round of the munster with injuries , and lads just coming back , this side if preforms well enough could be the starting line up in the park , bar the introduction of shane o donnell and david mc ,

tony might start , its hard to know just how well he is progressing since the operation last year if he was to feature i wouldn't be surprised if he started off the bench

as for the game tomorrow night , its such big games for the likes of lohan and Galvan , both had good leagues and need to play well to have any chance of starting in munster , darragh has been impressive but sometimes naive in his play

much different type of game too especially from the league game in the park a few weeks ago ,which was played at a snails pace at times and hampered by sometimes bizarre refereeing calls , even with the strong wind promised i expect the shooting efficiency from the cats to be much better then that day in ennis too

you cant draw too many comparisons to the semi final last year due to the number of changes on both teams , but i expect to see the same level of intensity from kilkenny , they have been about two gears below their normal level most of the league and i expect that to change

whatever team lohan dose go with we cant afford to get caught cold again like last year , we need to start from the front foot and match kilkenny at least for the full 70 minutes , this game can act as a real spring board for the championship , especially with a win

Advertisement