Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

Very worrying developments this evening re Clare county board monthly May meeting. Tweets below do not suggest a sign of a more transparent and open CCB that we all hoped in December last year with a new Chair and vice Chair in situ.

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1392176151867625474

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1392176153071325193

And....

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1392183566688264196

I didn't think it was possible but its actually getting worse. The new chairman has had a disastrous first few months to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

caddy16 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was possible but its actually getting worse. The new chairman has had a disastrous first few months to put it mildly.

100%

Any thoughts that Jack Chaplin was going to try and sort the septic issues is Clare Gaa can be well and truly dismissed.

Despite having the momentum of national coverage, Eire Ogs work to bring about change and a few great club delegates standing up and shouting about what has needed to be said for a long time, he seems insistent on brushing it all under the carpet and protecting those that have done so much damage to Clare Gaa.

At least now he has made it clear where he stands and those that are trying to bring about change know where they stand with him.

He has chosen to be part of the problems of the last number of years instead of being part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

The part about not addressing the secretary contract question by Kilmaley is such pettiness and ignorance.

Or do we need to get a TY student in to teach them how to record minutes of a meeting.

An absolute farce this whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    The part about not addressing the secretary contract question by Kilmaley is such pettiness and ignorance.

Or do we need to get a TY student in to teach them how to record minutes of a meeting.

More about hiding behind procedures...

At this stage, it is glaringly obvious to everyone what the answer to Kilmaley's query is.

The only question now is what Pat and Jack are going to do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Dates, venues and times out for Munster Championships now.
    https://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

I really do believe that the players should consider their options before continuing with this season's games.
    Maybe an all out strike mightn't be wise but some kind of protest needs to be done I think.
    Pat Fitz and his board seem to think they can ride this out, and the really scary part is maybe they will!
    All this nonsense about stewards on Sunday is a distraction that the players and management can do without.
    You get the feeling that there are plenty hoping for Clare to fail on the pitch inside the county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think there needs to be a line drawn between what's happening at board level and on the pitch, that's easier said than done I know as things have to be get into players heads but the 1 thing I'm noticing is that players are being looked after, yes there's issues with Caherlohan but players are still training and resources are available, yes there's issues with past supporters clubs, but there's a present supporters club in place that's getting supports for the players. On the pitch, the league is now a dead duck for us so lets use it to develop a plan for the Championship, even if we lose every match the focus should be the championship, getting a game plan together needs to be the priority.

At a board level, the most important thing for me is the 5 year plan that's being created, we're almost at the end of the road with this current crop of players (in both hurling and football) and we need to put something in play, it's been said that we have to be careful or else we'll turn into Offaly, the fact is that Offaly are miles ahead of us at the planning side and that will translate to the pitch soon enough.

Clareman wrote: »
    I think there needs to be a line drawn between what's happening at board level and on the pitch, that's easier said than done I know as things have to be get into players heads but the 1 thing I'm noticing is that players are being looked after, yes there's issues with Caherlohan but players are still training and resources are available, yes there's issues with past supporters clubs, but there's a present supporters club in place that's getting supports for the players. On the pitch, the league is now a dead duck for us so lets use it to develop a plan for the Championship, even if we lose every match the focus should be the championship, getting a game plan together needs to be the priority.

At a board level, the most important thing for me is the 5 year plan that's being created, we're almost at the end of the road with this current crop of players (in both hurling and football) and we need to put something in play, it's been said that we have to be careful or else we'll turn into Offaly, the fact is that Offaly are miles ahead of us at the planning side and that will translate to the pitch soon enough.

I'd have to disagree with most of that

Yes, it would be great to draw a line between the board and the players, but that's very difficult to do when people in the board are actively working to undermine the senior manager and his players.

The board have shown a new level of arrogance and neck in the last few months and it is looking more and more like it is going to take something extreme like a players strike to force the issue and get rid of the rot at board level

While the 5 year plan is of course very important, the most important thing right now at board level is CHANGE. No plan, whether it is 12 months, 5 years or 10 years, has any chance of working, when you have people in a position of (almost absolute) power working against it.

I agree with you RE Offaly - They are well down the road in the process of getting their sh1t together and well ahead of Clare in that regard.

I'd also disagree with you RE us being almost at the end of the road with our current crop of hurlers. But, to be fair, that's probably more to do with me just bein' an optimistic aul' hoor.

But ultimately, everyone knows what the problem is in Clare, and Clare hurling has no hope whatsoever of moving forward untill that problem is sorted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know about actively working to undermine the manager, ultimately everything that was looked for has been given, from Lohan over Mulqueen to setting up a 5 year plan. The meeting the other night had farce written all over it but considering clubs are back now there was a lot of stuff to be covered in the meeting so I can see why they'd want to move on, be interesting to see what happens tonight. Players should concentrate on playing.

The current squad are nearly all late 20s and have been on the road a long time, a lot of the were involved in the minor team in 2010, most were on the under 21s, and on the senior squad since then, that's a decade at the top level, that's a lot of mileage on the clock. We need players coming through, we relied on this crop of players for so long now that we're at a massive risk of having the whole team finishing at once without anyone replacing them, same thing happened to the team of the 90s.

• Advertisement

BnB wrote: »

Yes, it would be great to draw a line between the board and the players, but that's very difficult to do when people in the board are actively working to undermine the senior manager and his players.

The board have shown a new level of arrogance and neck in the last few months and it is looking more and more like it is going to take something extreme like a players strike to force the issue and get rid of the rot at board level

While the 5 year plan is of course very important, the most important thing right now at board level is CHANGE. No plan, whether it is 12 months, 5 years or 10 years, has any chance of working, when you have people in a position of (almost absolute) power working against it.

I agree with you RE Offaly - They are well down the road in the process of getting their sh1t together and well ahead of Clare in that regard.

I'd also disagree with you RE us being almost at the end of the road with our current crop of hurlers. But, to be fair, that's probably more to do with me just bein' an optimistic aul' hoor.

But ultimately, everyone knows what the problem is in Clare, and Clare hurling has no hope whatsoever of moving forward untill that problem is sorted

I agree and I would share those concerns.

At the end of the day, its all well and good developing an excellent 5 year plan, but its only as good as its implementation. I'm confident the newly formed committee will hold up its end of the deal, Eire Og have assembly an excellent portfolio of experienced professionals to develop the strategy.

But I don't know how anybody in Clare could have confidence that the county board will implement the objectives of the plan effectively. The 5 year plan will be very comprehensive and detailed, with fiscal guidelines, marketing and promotional strategies, infrastructure development (Caherlohan ahem), coaching, social media, governance, etc, etc, etc. We have seen nothing from the county board that they have either the competence, drive or to be quite frank, the temperament to undertake these tasks.

As you said, real change won't come until the likes of Pat Fitz are gone and people with the skills, experience and competence come in and importantly wont engage in politics with every bloody issue raised.

BnB wrote: »

Agree with you. The hope of the board is that everything that has happened in the past can be brushed aside and let's get on with the new 5 year plan.

One fundamental flaw, the 5 year plan recommendations will require significant investment. Who in their right mind will contribute to this with the current executive in place.

Personally I think Pat Fitz should have stepped aside when Davy was appointed manager, it was a complete conflict of interest, add in a supporters club ran by his daughter and you have a situation where you have a son asking his father for stuff while his sister funds it, we thought this was fine because we won the All Ireland in 2013 but we totally lost the run of ourselves with backroom teams and all the add-ons. We're at the stage now where we've no money, money has gone "missing" and we're no players, in my opinion getting a clear player pathway is the only way to go, setup an underage academy with a clear pathway and support, not jobs for the boys and a bill for gear, a proper setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Personally I think Pat Fitz should have stepped aside when Davy was appointed manager, it was a complete conflict of interest, add in a supporters club ran by his daughter and you have a situation where you have a son asking his father for stuff while his sister funds it, we thought this was fine because we won the All Ireland in 2013 but we totally lost the run of ourselves with backroom teams and all the add-ons. We're at the stage now where we've no money, money has gone "missing" and we're no players, in my opinion getting a clear player pathway is the only way to go, setup an underage academy with a clear pathway and support, not jobs for the boys and a bill for gear, a proper setup.

I don't think we all thought it was fine. That was always a problem for anyone taking notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Big game this weekend for both teams, I think positivity is needed from supporters for the hurlers, no point in slatting the lads this early on...

I think a strong support outside the ground would be a cool idea from people who are around (likely the cloister side for teams arriving) and let's show Davy and Pat that we are behind our team and against their tyranny.

Clare Snr Hurling
    E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    L Corry

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    A McCarthy

D Fitzgerald
    T Kelly

C Malone
    TBC
    C Guilfoyle

R Taylor
    A Shanagher
    TBC

Reidy and SOD must have injuries and might be having late fitness test. The two debutants are taken out of the team and also I think Flanagan picked up an injury the last day.

Would have preferred Conlon going back into the forwards. I don’t mean to be harsh on a lad trying his best, but I really don’t rate Guilfoyle at all. Don’t think he is a intercounty senior player, and even if he was, he is a full forward.

Maybe Rodgers might come in for SOD. Galvin and Davy Mc must be still injured.

Clare Snr Hurling
    E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    L Corry

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    A McCarthy

D Fitzgerald
    T Kelly

C Malone
    TBC
    C Guilfoyle

R Taylor
    A Shanagher
    TBC

Reidy and SOD must have injuries and might be having late fitness test. The two debutants are taken out of the team and also I think Flanagan picked up an injury the last day.

Would have preferred Conlon going back into the forwards. I don’t mean to be harsh on a lad trying his best, but I really don’t rate Guilfoyle at all. Don’t think he is a intercounty senior player, and even if he was, he is a full forward.

Maybe Rodgers might come in for SOD. Galvin and Davy Mc must be still injured.

Conlon to 11, Rodgers to 15 and someone else to 6,thats not a bad team then

Conlon to 11, Rodgers to 15 and someone else to 6,thats not a bad team then

Would love to see that.

Outside of SoD it's a brilliant forward line, could you imagine those forwards pushing up towards midfield as much as possible??? So instead of leaving the space in the middle it's in the opposition backs so we could be running onto ball rather than fighting for it or living off scraps

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1393317361403502595?s=21

Some more young guns added to the match day 24. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’d like to see Nolan tried at full back with Cleary moving to 6, Conlon to 11.

And obviously seeing Meehan would be very exciting although I understand not rushing a 19 year old.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1393317361403502595?s=21

Some more young guns added to the match day 24. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’d like to see Nolan tried at full back with Cleary moving to 6, Conlon to 11.

And obviously seeing Meehan would be very exciting although I understand not rushing a 19 year old.

Wouldn't disagree with that. Priority has to be to get fullback line and centre back nailed down. Not a year for too much experimenting with championship in 5 weeks.
    Can't see it with Guilfoyle, hasn't ever stood out for his club anytime I've seen him.

Outside of SoD it's a brilliant forward line, could you imagine those forwards pushing up towards midfield as much as possible??? So instead of leaving the space in the middle it's in the opposition backs so we could be running onto ball rather than fighting for it or living off scraps

That’s the ideal way of setting up. I also like having Kelly named at corner forward because he can give you an extra body around midfield if we can’t get a grip. From an offense point of view we also need to badly work on our distribution too, though I try to comfort myself thinking that Colm Galvin will fix that problem to a large extent (also Davy Mc)

caddy16 wrote: »
    Wouldn't disagree with that. Priority has to be to get fullback line and centre back nailed down. Not a year for too much experimenting with championship in 5 weeks.
    Can't see it with Guilfoyle, hasn't ever stood out for his club anytime I've seen him.

That’s it. I’m not the biggest fan of Cleary, but he is a big lump of a lad at centre back that can stand in front and help a new full back. We know he can give us baseline solid/average centre back play. We will have Galvin coming back he can then hover in front of the half back line. Davy Mc beside him, Conlon at centre forward, Kelly pushing up closer to goal, I feel that would give us the best chance this summer.

That’s it. I’m not the biggest fan of Cleary, but he is a big lump of a lad at centre back that can stand in front and help a new full back. We know he can give us baseline solid/average centre back play. We will have Galvin coming back he can then hover in front of the half back line. Davy Mc beside him, Conlon at centre forward, Kelly pushing up closer to goal, I feel that would give us the best chance this summer.
    Yeah, Aaron Fitz is another lad who might do a job at 6. Wouldn't mind seeing him getting a game there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think if we lose to Wexford things will start getting hairy. The Conlon experiment would really need to be working after Sunday to justify his absence from full forward. Its not great to see the few injuries..points to tough training sessions. This season is so short that you can't afford to have more than a few injured. 2 or 3 a week us too much.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

16: Donal Tuohy (Crusheen)
    17: Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)
    18: Shane Meehan (Banner)
    19: Paidí Fitzpatrick (Sixmilebridge)
    20: Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    21: Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    22: Domhnall McMahon (Tubber)
    23: Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    24: Cian Nolan (Smith O’Briens)
    25: Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    26: Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona

I just noticed with our bench that Ian Galvin has returned from injury. That’s potentially a nice boost to our team as he was a good impact sub in past years. A scoring forward to bring on, still only in his mid-twenties. It’s funny, but I can’t remember a Clare team in the past where our full forward line has the deepest amount of talent.

There is a good few lads actually on our bench I’d like to see get game time. Hopefully Lohan can get around to using his squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

16: Donal Tuohy (Crusheen)
    17: Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)
    18: Shane Meehan (Banner)
    19: Paidí Fitzpatrick (Sixmilebridge)
    20: Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    21: Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    22: Domhnall McMahon (Tubber)
    23: Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    24: Cian Nolan (Smith O’Briens)
    25: Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    26: Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona

I just noticed with our bench that Ian Galvin has returned from injury. That’s potentially a nice boost to our team as he was a good impact sub in past years. A scoring forward to bring on, still only in his mid-twenties. It’s funny, but I can’t remember a Clare team in the past where our full forward line has the deepest amount of talent.

There is a good few lads actually on our bench I’d like to see get game time. Hopefully Lohan can get around to using his squad.

Must be the weakest bench in Munster Hurling. Some guys with potential but a good few who have come up short before.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Must be the weakest bench in Munster Hurling. Some guys with potential but a good few who have come up short before.

I'd say we've got a stronger bench than Cork. Either way that's not an insult. Limerick, Tipp, Cork and Waterford are all good sides.

• Advertisement

I agree, hopefully the likes of Colm Galvin, Davy Mc, SOD, David Reidy, Pat O’Connor and Stephen O’Halloran can come back into the soon.

Advertisement