Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't say I'm too impressed with a proposed member of the new committee going on a podcast talking about stuff in the post, this committee is supposed to be impartial, even if we agree with what he's saying he needs to be impartial

Yep, very odd behaviour and it doesn't bode well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Doesn't bode well at all, I don't get the whole "no accounts" thing either, it's been so long ago that if accounts are needed they'll be made up, they'll look at the checks and work it out, might as well look to the future and get it right, in nothing else showing that millions could be gotten from Clare supporters in the past hopefully there'll be more in the future. The 1 thing that can't be said about Davy's reign in Clare is that we scrimped on anything, we'd 2 bus loads going to every match, we don't have a penny now but we had it back then.

Doesn't bode well at all, I don't get the whole "no accounts" thing either, it's been so long ago that if accounts are needed they'll be made up, they'll look at the checks and work it out, might as well look to the future and get it right, in nothing else showing that millions could be gotten from Clare supporters in the past hopefully there'll be more in the future. The 1 thing that can't be said about Davy's reign in Clare is that we scrimped on anything, we'd 2 bus loads going to every match, we don't have a penny now but we had it back then.

It may not be so simple to account for the past spending.. lets say a player was given appearance money for an event.. if that goes on an account, revenue may be interested in that if it adds up to a significant amount..
    GAA should be sending in the auditors also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    It may not be so simple to account for the past spending.. lets say a player was given appearance money for an event.. if that goes on an account, revenue may be interested in that if it adds up to a significant amount..
    GAA should be sending in the auditors also.

The problem isn't for appearance money or money given by sponsors, that'll all have some receipt to account for it which will have something that cost against it, the problem is for all the cash, think back to those collection buckets full of lovely cash. Other thing to account for is kickbacks.

Don't get me wrong, it's is infuriating and I'd love for heads to roll, even jail sentences but this new committee is to come up with a 5 year plan, lets look to the future, get a proper 5 year plan in place.

The problem isn't for appearance money or money given by sponsors, that'll all have some receipt to account for it which will have something that cost against it, the problem is for all the cash, think back to those collection buckets full of lovely cash. Other thing to account for is kickbacks.

Don't get me wrong, it's is infuriating and I'd love for heads to roll, even jail sentences but this new committee is to come up with a 5 year plan, lets look to the future, get a proper 5 year plan in place.

Both things should happen..
    We don't want a repeat of the crap that's going on again.. Only way to prevent that is to go an investigate the past 10 years activities and get it out into the open good or bad and make sure the bad part is never accepted again.
    Moving on without sorting and exposing the issues then it will happen again.

• Advertisement

What happened before happened because you had a father, son and daughter running the whole thing without oversight from anyone, they were given free reign and did what they wanted without governance. The best we can hope for is that proper governance is put in place but that should be a minimum and is something that will happen from now on.

What happened before happened because you had a father, son and daughter running the whole thing without oversight from anyone, they were given free reign and did what they wanted without governance. The best we can hope for is that proper governance is put in place but that should be a minimum and is something that will happen from now on.

Comical goings on tonights meeting apparently.. live feeds to the meeting with the 'someone' on the phone prompting the delegate....
    Que the Killnascully music.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭caddy16

Comical goings on tonights meeting apparently.. live feeds to the meeting with the 'someone' on the phone prompting the delegate....
    Que the Killnascully music.

Unbelievable isn't it, you couldn't make it up. The terms of reference for the new committee will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I do largely agree with you - We 100% want to look to the future. But, if this is swept under the carpet, then the people that did the damage will be left free to do it again. The main purpose of the exercise of pursuing this is to expose the people who have been damaging Clare GAA and make sure they have no access whatsoever to do it again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Personally I applaud Eoin Conroy for going on air. The pressure must be kept on this joke of a county board , they should all resign in shame if they presided over this. The revenue may be interested too in undeclared income!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Everything is harmonious in sixmilebridge gaa according to their county delegate. No pro or anti Fitzgerald split in the camp. Other teams just "have to train harder" apparently. ( Whatever that has got to do with it?)

Winning county titles, no audit on supporters club accounts. Not sure how they are related?

I'm afraid that everything is focusing on the Fitz's now rather than looking to the future. For me there's 3 key things to be addressed
    1. 5 Year Strategic Plan
    2. Caherlohan
    3. Supporters Club during Davy Fitz era

I can see how 1 and 2 can and will overlap, we have a "Centre of Excellence" which isn't up to spec, we'll either need to make a decision to get it up to spec or to cut our losses. If we decide to bring it up to spec, that spec will need to be decided, if we decide to cut our losses then a way to recoup as much money as possible will need to be come up with.

The supporters club is an extremely difficult 1, ultimately we are looking to get an audit done on transactions almost a decade ago which the county board are claiming to know nothing about or have anything to do with, I know there's rules/guidelines now about how supporters clubs should run but I don't think they were in place years ago so this will probably just keep going around in circles.

Winning county titles, no audit on supporters club accounts. Not sure how they are related?

They're not, there was a report in the media that the Bridge is a club divided, the chairman was just trying to say that they weren't divided, which is amazing as in all my years involved in GAA I've never known a club not having a bit of hassle somewhere over something.

I'm afraid that everything is focusing on the Fitz's now rather than looking to the future. For me there's 3 key things to be addressed
    1. 5 Year Strategic Plan
    2. Caherlohan
    3. Supporters Club during Davy Fitz era

I can see how 1 and 2 can and will overlap, we have a "Centre of Excellence" which isn't up to spec, we'll either need to make a decision to get it up to spec or to cut our losses. If we decide to bring it up to spec, that spec will need to be decided, if we decide to cut our losses then a way to recoup as much money as possible will need to be come up with.

The supporters club is an extremely difficult 1, ultimately we are looking to get an audit done on transactions almost a decade ago which the county board are claiming to know nothing about or have anything to do with, I know there's rules/guidelines now about how supporters clubs should run but I don't think they were in place years ago so this will probably just keep going around in circles.

These guidelines have been in place since the mid 90s I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

They're not, there was a report in the media that the Bridge is a club divided, the chairman was just trying to say that they weren't divided, which is amazing as in all my years involved in GAA I've never known a club not having a bit of hassle somewhere over something.

It's divided..not desperately so but there is pro and anti Fitz sides. The secretary resigned over that issue for a gods sake.
    Caherlohan has to be upgraded.. Theres no cutting losses ..its fairly worthless as farmland and little development potential. It's worth about 500,000

BloodyBill wrote: »
    It's divided..not desperately so but there is pro and anti Fitz sides. The secretary resigned over that issue for a gods sake.
    Caherlohan has to be upgraded.. Theres no cutting losses ..its fairly worthless as farmland and little development potential. It's worth about 500,000

The Bridge will be fine. Christy Murray was putting up the siege walls last week... blame the Meeja...

The reality is that Caherlohan is there, it's a mess that needs to be cleaned up.
    But that needs a clearout and clear thinking.

No one is now going to give money to Clare GAA if the same people are involved.

https://www.clubclare.com/

Club Clare launched for 2021, have to say I'm very surprised at the timing of the launch considering all the media coverage about the finances in Clare, they've made it clear that the current setup is a lot better ran so hopefully they'll raise the amounts needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Club Clare launched for 2021, have to say I'm very surprised at the timing of the launch considering all the media coverage about the finances in Clare, they've made it clear that the current setup is a lot better ran so hopefully they'll raise the amounts needed.

Nothing for the big ball in Club Clare?

Nothing for the big ball in Club Clare?

The footballers have been doing their own thing for years. What I can't understand is why they aren't focusing on the present players, surely it'd make more sense to have every member of the panel to say something rather than former players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is Friends of Clare football the fundraiser for footballers?

The International Clare Football Supporters Club is the footballers one

https://twitter.com/clare_football
    https://www.facebook.com/InternationalClareSupportersClub/

The footballers have been doing their own thing for years. What I can't understand is why they aren't focusing on the present players, surely it'd make more sense to have every member of the panel to say something rather than former players.

That's simple marketing. Who has the money? Brian Lohans generation right through to Ger Loughnanes generation. Who do you appeal to? 18 to 30 year olds or the older generation who may have the finances available?

I think that is the point.. get it out there with the clean break made.

That's simple marketing. Who has the money? Brian Lohans generation right through to Ger Loughnanes generation. Who do you appeal to? 18 to 30 year olds or the older generation who may have the finances available?

True, I guess I'm more interested to seeing what's going to happen in the future and where my money is going to, I don't understand the Flannan's jersey being so prominent behind Bugler either, I know he's a teacher there but the video is promoting Clare hurling and camoige, I'm probably just paranoid especially as Bugler's last involvement at intercounty level was trying to knock Clare out of the championship.

True, I guess I'm more interested to seeing what's going to happen in the future and where my money is going to, I don't understand the Flannan's jersey being so prominent behind Bugler either, I know he's a teacher there but the video is promoting Clare hurling and camoige, I'm probably just paranoid especially as Bugler's last involvement at intercounty level was trying to knock Clare out of the championship.

I wouldn't hold that against Bugler., we could have said the same about a lot of managers and selectors who were up against their own club or county.

Flannans is a bit over played.

I thought Flannan's was a bit much considering that Tulla are doing such great work. Anyway doesn't matter what they put up they'll be getting my €50, I'm a gluten for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I thought Flannan's was a bit much considering that Tulla are doing such great work. Anyway doesn't matter what they put up they'll be getting my €50, I'm a gluten for punishment.

More Clare hurlers have Harty medals at the moment won playing with Ard Scoil Ris.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    More Clare hurlers have Harty medals at the moment won playing with Ard Scoil Ris.

Yeah, Flannan's won their first Harty in 15 years so that's something but surely the school will be getting their own funding or are Club Clare going to be funding the schools as well? Then again mentioning the importance of supporters to the 92 Footballers when looking for funding for hurlers.

• Advertisement

I'd safely say with the likes of James and Caroline O Connor, Brian Lohan being involved and an audit committee etc you'd be safe enough with this venture.
    It is for Clare hurling and camogie, I doubt that Flannan's will be funded at all from this.

Unless we see Jamesie going around with a new crown and fur coat of course and a new roof ahem.

Advertisement