Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vatican issues document rejecting idea that people can choose or change gender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I'm not offended by trans in general at all, only the trans activists who target people, celebrities even those in the health care sector who don't subscribe to their doctrine. People has lost contracts, jobs, businesses damaged etc.

Using social media and the legal system as a weapon against them.

You're targetting trans people branding them as objects for your ignorant amusement comparing them to tourettes sufferers, you're not just targetting activists as part of your doctrine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

klaaaz wrote: »
    You're targetting trans people branding them as objects for your ignorant amusement comparing them to tourettes sufferers, you're not just targetting activists as part of your doctrine.

Also, lost on why an incredibly difficult condition such as Tourettes is amusing....

batgoat wrote: »
    Also, lost on why an incredibly difficult condition such as Tourettes is amusing....

That poster who has a serious distaste of people who are different probably finds the ParaOlympics amusing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Mens humour tends to be status based, laughing as other men make mistakes which lowers their status. While female humour tends to be based on funny situations. The unconscious swearing associated with Tourettes probably addresses both of those and is often portrayed in tv and films.
    I feel like I'm explaining basic psychology to a child here.
    That poster who has a serious distaste of people who are different probably finds the ParaOlympics amusing too.

Ah, I can make up stuff too, if that's the new game ?
    You think pedophiles are can be rehabilitated in prison and when they have served their time their record should be expunged and they should be eligible to foster and adopt children.

Ah, I can make up stuff too, if that's the new game ?
    You think pedophiles are can be rehabilitated in prison and when they have served their time their record should be expunged and they should be eligible to foster and adopt children.

Quick, let's deflect from your horrible distaste of anyone who has tourettes or disabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Mens humour tends to be status based, laughing as other men make mistakes which lowers their status. While female humour tends to be based on funny situations. The unconscious swearing associated with Tourettes probably addresses both of those and is often portrayed in tv and films.
    I feel like I'm explaining basic psychology to a child here.

“Men’s humour tends to be based on situations they find funny, female humour on funny situations.”

That’s some insightful commentary

Quick, let's deflect from your horrible distaste of anyone who has tourettes or disabilities.

Again "horrible distaste"... more than a stretch from amusement, which apart from this thread, was just an internal opinion.

I'm sure you'll be first in line when they start recruiting the thought police.

Ps. any relation to _blaaz on the site?

“Men’s humour tends to be based on situations they find funny, female humour on funny situations.”

That’s some insightful commentary

You've messed up the quote which is amazing since I can't dumb it down anymore. Maybe I'll ask one of my children to write it in crayon for you.

You've messed up the quote which is amazing since I can't dumb it down anymore. Maybe I'll ask one of my children to write it in crayon for you.

Are these boys or girls because they’ll have totally different notions about humour. For you see, boy’s humour is based on things that they find funny, while girl’s humour is based on funny things.

Are these boys or girls because they’ll have totally different notions about humour. For you see, boy’s humour is based on things that they find funny, while girl’s humour is based on funny things.

Mens humour is based on status.
    Use your finger to follow the words on the page as you read them.

• Advertisement

Mens humour is based on status.
    Use your finger to follow the words on the page as you read them.

Well, you’re saying “men’s humour” is based on status, from which I infer you think that men find situations in which another’s man’s status is undermined—or reduced in some way—funny. So that would make that a funny situation, would it not? And then you argue that “female humour” is based on “funny situations.” So what’s the difference? Saying humour is based on something that’s funny is tautological. The only substantive thing you’ve said is something about men enjoying situations in which another’s status is undermined. Are you suggesting that a situation men find funny is not a funny situation?

And then you argue that “female humour” is based on “funny situations.” So what’s the difference?

Embarrassing or awkward situations for them.
    Women tend to use humour to "downgrade" (for want of a better term) themselves to other women and show they're not a threat and
    prompt empathy in others.
    While mens humour is typically based on embarrassing situations for others, showing more dominance.

And to draw vaguely back to the thread, men will look down on other men with weaknesses or differences even if it's just an unconscious level.

While mens humour is typically based on embarrassing situations for others.

Can you provide examples of each? And how do you account for jokes that both sexes find equally funny?

Can you provide examples of each? And how do you account for jokes that both sexes find equally funny?

That's for another thread.

Dragging this thread back on topic, men would find other men wearing dresses funny... it's completely emasculating them.
    Same with involuntarily swearing.

Dragging this thread back on topic, men would find other men wearing dresses funny... it's completely emasculating them.

You're thinking of drag which is not transgender.

That's for another thread.

Same with involuntarily swearing.

Nobody has found men wearing dresses funny since about 1978...it’s a cliche. A lot of humour is based on mixing up traditional gender roles, but such comedy appealed as much to women as men (see Friends for instance.) There isn’t any basis for believing there is some essential difference in the things men and women find funny.

You're thinking of drag which is not transgender.

Am I stuck in GroundHog day, I answered that and you didn't already

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110431704&postcount=125

Nobody has found men wearing dresses funny since about 1978...it’s a cliche.

Still relevant.
    Recently Sheldon in the "Big Bang Theory" lost a bet and had to wear a dress.
    Men wear dresses in the womens mini marathon to raise money for charity at the expense of their dignity for the laugh.
    Stag nights sometimes make the stag wear a tutu.

There's a load of relevant examples off the top of my head...

Am I stuck in GroundHog day, I answered that and you didn't already
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110431704&postcount=125

You probably are stuck in Groundhog Day with your ignorance thinking that transgender means drag, you don't even know what drag is do you?

You probably are stuck in Groundhog Day with your ignorance thinking that transgender means drag, you don't even know what drag is do you?

Men dressing up as women.

You still haven't answered the question.... I'll wait.

Men dressing up as women.

And women dressing as men, known as drag kings. Nothing to do with transgender.
    You still haven't answered the question.... I'll wait.

What answer do you require to such ignorance equating drag and transgender? Hint: drag people are fine with their birth gender unlike transgender people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Aw no, the Vatican says that I cant do something, that really holds a lot of weight these days :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Women tend to use humour to "downgrade" (for want of a better term) themselves to other women and show they're not a threat and
    prompt empathy in others.
    While mens humour is typically based on embarrassing situations for others, showing more dominance.

And to draw vaguely back to the thread, men will look down on other men with weaknesses or differences even if it's just an unconscious level.

I'm glad to say my sense of humour is more nuanced and mature than yours... I don't view tourettes as a weakness, it's a condition that people persevere through and struggle with. I also know transgender people and I view them to be incredibly strong in spite of the ****ty treatment they experience from certain types. Also tend to have a better sense of humour than yourself.

What answer do you require to such ignorance equating drag and transgender?

Hint: I already posted the link. But I'll quote it here again
    But throw in some hormones and a few snips from a surgeon and what's the difference?

Self image seems to be the only thing between them... which I regard as a dysfunctional mental state.
    I'm glad to say my sense of humour is more nuanced and mature than yours... ... Also tend to have a better sense of humour than yourself.

If anything you said you don't laugh at certain things.
    So how is that a better sense of humour?

Nuanced and mature doesn't exactly sound like you're the life and soul of the party. I don't know any "nuanced and mature" comedians...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This is the exact same claim that people have made in the past about homosexuality being removed from the dsm... A working group concluded that moving to gender identity disorder and keeping the classification to maintain supports for the affected person made the most sense. Nothing to do with lobbyists, just that knowledge has changed.

In fairness, the fact you're amused by people who are transgender or have tourettes is a terrible reflection upon you...

What drove the formation of a working group? Has the nature of the condition changed? Was dsyphoria as a whole removed, or just the aspect that has a vocal lobby associated with it?

Likening to the change in view of homosexuality seems a touch disingenuous. There's a fundamental difference in sexual fluidity and feeling a disconnect from the reality of your biological sex. In the same way if I felt that my leg didn't belong to me and wanted it amputated.

Self image seems to be the only thing between them... which I regard as a dysfunctional mental state.

No it's not and you deleted my previous comment in your reply quote.

Here is the difference stating again: drag people are fine with their birth gender unlike transgender people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What can you say anymore about the RCC. They are just determined to destroy themselves from the inside. Remember they control our schools.

The Vatican has issued an official document rejecting the idea that people can choose or change their genders and insisting on the sexual “complementarity” of men and women to make babies.

Pope Francis has repeatedly argued the position that people cannot choose their genders.
    The document called for a new alliance among families, schools and society to offer a “positive and prudent sexual education” in Catholic schools so children learn the “full original truth of masculinity and femininity”.

It called gender fluidity a symptom of the “confused concept of freedom” and “momentary desires” that characterise post-modern culture.

It rejected terms such as “intersex” and “transgender” and said the purpose of the biological “complementarity” of the male and female sex organs was to ensure procreation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-rejects-idea-people-can-choose-or-change-genders-1.3921015

By saying it as it is? I think you may have an agenda here. It is science, and this crap about being born in the wrong body...... say what? It's not a fecking car you can change and is manufactured.

No it's not and you deleted my previous comment in your reply quote.

Here is the difference stating again: drag people are fine with their birth gender unlike transgender people.

And as I said... only difference seems to be self image.
    Anorexics need intervention in their self image.

And as I said... only difference seems to be self image.
    Anorexics need intervention in their self image.

Nope, read again. This is rather embarrassing for you not knowing what the difference between drag and transgender is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Nope, read again. This is rather embarrassing for you not knowing what the difference between drag and transgender is.

Perhaps this will help clarify things??

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10040242

Thinking anorexia is a self image problem is a scaryily misinformed person

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    Your very naive if you think likes of priests/cardinals etc dont have sex :D
    I often remember back to school when a well known, and usually timid, theologian (female) gave a leaving speech where she tried to implore us to be responsible about sexuality, and commented that this 'myth' of celibacy was as disingenuous as the previous notion that gay people don't exist nor have sex.

I think of this when I bump into the local parish priest (lovely guy). I have no business knowing what his orientation is, but the idea that he's celibate is about as daft as the suggestion that R. Catholic homosexual people desist from sex. It's for the birds, I don't believe it for as moment. (And more luck to him/ them)

Advertisement