Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Good old Scots getting the boot/boat in while they still have a navy. Post independence the Irish naval service should be able to see them off. :D

In fairness the Scots are tough fighters, majority of the SAS are Scots.

And in the first world war the Germans used to refer to the Scots as "the ferocious ladies" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember this vaguely (Irish Times is source):
    In 1977, with Mike Murphy, he (Adrian Cronin Late Late Show director) challenged the BBC to a race to Rockall with the costs to be paid by the loser. This was after the BBC programme Nationwide said it would send a team to the disputed rock and plant a Union Jack, thereby reinforcing Britain’s claim to ownership. But Nationwide refused to accept the challenge; a spokesman said its plan was part of a film schedule, and not a race.

policarp wrote: »
    So it,s like the Faulklands, we,ll have to fight over it.

Not that different politically.

The Argentine government start banging on about the Falklands when they start losing popularity. It seems the SNP are doing the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

We are part of the European Union - whose fishermen also fish there.

If the Scots arrest our fishermen then we should send just one OPV and arrest theirs.

Although I am still at a loss as to how Scotland intends to enforce something they have zero capability of doing.

Do you really think the Scottish and British have not thought this through, their tactics, Ireland's likely next moves, and their counter moves, before kicking this off and choosing to provoke it at this time ? You're a fool if you think they haven't. Ireland and it's government needs to plan there next few moves very carefully.

Nobelium wrote: »
    Do you really think the Scottish and British have not thought this through, their tactics, Ireland's likely next moves, and their counter moves, before kicking this off and choosing to provoke it at this time ? You're a fool if you think they haven't. Ireland and it's government needs to plan there next few moves very carefully.

You mean, like Brexit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

archer22 wrote: »
    In fairness the Scots are tough fighters, majority of the SAS are Scots.

And in the first world war the Germans used to refer to the Scots as "the ferocious ladies" :D

That reminds me, didn't some SAS man ledge himself on top of the rock a good few decades ago and stay there a few months, to claim it for Britain? Tough as nuts.

You mean, like Brexit :pac:

Britians brexit problems are due to conservatives not having a large enough parliamentary majority, not lack of strategy.

Nobelium wrote: »
    Britians brexit problems are due to conservatives not having a large enough parliamentary majority, not lack of strategy.

You think it was well thought out?!?

And to ask what strategy the UK had, though humorous, would derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reckon we could replace the Americans with the Scots in this clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

This could lead to an interesting conversation if Brexit goes badly and the Scots want to break away and rejoin the EU. The first words from the EU might be: So, Rockall, eh?

• Advertisement

This could lead to an interesting conversation if Brexit goes badly and the Scots want to break away and rejoin the EU. The first words from the EU might be: So, Rockall, eh?

The UK hasn't even got a trade deal post the withdrawal agreement. If Rockhall wasn't going to be an issue before it is now. Maybe, the Scots should stay under English Rule, they may have forgotten how to do politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The UK hasn't even got a trade deal post the withdrawal agreement. If Rockhall wasn't going to be an issue before it is now. Maybe, the Scots should stay under English Rule, they may have forgotten how to do politics.
    Never let somebody else run your country . You never know when you may have to run it for yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

janfebmar wrote: »
    That reminds me, didn't some SAS man ledge himself on top of the rock a good few decades ago and stay there a few months, to claim it for Britain? Tough as nuts.

Dumb as fvck,. more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd imagine the next move will be a fleet of Irish trawlers heading out there this weekend.

blinding wrote: »
    Never let somebody else run your country . You never know when you may have to run it for yourself .

True. Took us a while after we got rid of the undue influence of the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They're not even a country. It's like Wexford County Council threatening France. Who will they send, the Scottish police?

Call their bluff. Tell them to get back in their box. Or maybe the SNP are trying to rile up Scottish Nationalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

We can fire a few missiles, like North Korea.

Oh wait, we don't have any.

Scotland better be careful. Our fleet of combat fighter jets have already been scrambled. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Scotland better be careful. Our fleet of combat fighter jets have already been scrambled. :pac:

They’re filling them up with a fresh tank of diesel juice as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

janfebmar wrote: »
    Dumb as fvck,. more like.
    Maybe both of the above?
    Dramatic footage here on his website of him leaping out of a rubber dinghy onto Rockall, then getting washed into the sea by a huge wave. The boat meanwhile has been punctured, because he was wearing climbing crampons.

Also, he may have a secret weapon we can use to defeat Nessie; a mechanical whale. Maybe the Irish govt. could hire him as a military advisor for this upcoming war?

After all, he is already offering consultancy services and he is originally Irish. The back story is not exactly clear, but I think some industrial school or orphanage had him farmed out as a slave labourer, before he fled to England.
    If we apologise, he might come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Saw this on the RTE news story. “The rocky outcrop lies around 230 nautical miles northwest of Donegal and 240 miles west of Scotland.”

230 nautical miles is over 260 miles. A harmless bit of journalism, or intentionally misleading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Can't believe all these posters, who seem genuinely worried the Scots will use the Loch Ness Monster?!

Seriously!

Cop on, Loch Ness is freshwater, he'd be useless in a sea battle.

What we really need to concentrate on is getting the Puffins onside. Those little vicious bastar ds will give us the air power edge.

Conchir wrote: »
    A harmless bit of journalism, or intentionally misleading?
    The latter, I would say.

Fake News at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't fancy our chances, I think Mary Lou could hold Sturgeon in check but if Arlene Foster enters the fray it's all over.
    FG send Maria Bailey as reinforcement but she falls getting out of the helicopter and sues.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Patser wrote: »
    Cop on, Loch Ness is freshwater, he'd be useless in a sea battle.

What we really need to concentrate on is getting the Puffins onside. Those little vicious bastar ds will give us the air power edge.
    Pretty sure Nessie is like a salmon. He will just need a few days to adapt to the saltiness. They possibly have him in the Clyde estuary at this very moment.

You wouldn't want to rely on those little pufters with their rainbow beaks. Pacifists, the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

recedite wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to rely on those little pufters with their rainbow beaks. Pacifists, the whole lot of them.

Nah, their fighting days are behind them. All alcos since they got a lifetime supply of booze for Guinness ad appearances.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't fancy our chances, I think Mary Lou could hold Sturgeon in check
    On land Mary Lou has the weight advantage, but only a true whale can beat a sturgeon in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

It should have no relevance regarding any fishing rights etc because it is a ****ing rock and should have no relevance regarding any claims of sovereignty over it.

You can't claim sovereignty over something that is completely uninhabitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The man from the Donegal Catch Ad could be a clincher for Ireland - they have his idea on file - in a filing cabinet!

They're not even a country. It's like Wexford County Council threatening France. Who will they send, the Scottish police?

Call their bluff. Tell them to get back in their box. Or maybe the SNP are trying to rile up Scottish Nationalism?

In reality, Scotland dwarf Ireland in every category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well that's me finished with everything Scottish. Starting with. ...ahem. ...give me a minute. ...ahem. .....well I'm not wearing tartan ever again!

Advertisement