Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda potentially calling to house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Your brother needs to lose those friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Couldn't agree more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

No, I have an issue with authority figures overstepping themselves and hiding behind the uniform as an excuse. The Gardaí haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in this regard over the last decade or so and yes, I would be very quick to curtail their activity if they were turning up to my door when I hadn't committed an offence. But I think it's unfair to say I have a negative attitude towards law enforcement, I'm just of the opinion that if you haven't broken the law they have no business hassling you.

The Gardai are tasked with enforcing the laws of the country , your brothers friend is a legitimate target for them , your brother through his choices has made himself a suspicious person through his associations

I can safely assume that when your brother gets searched a few times under the misuse of drugs act and nothing is found you ll be on alleging harassment.

you realize the gardai can speak to anyone for any reason and it doent constitute harassment ?

of course you have a negative attitude towards the gardai ? every time you've mentioned them in this thread you are negative and critical.
    If your mam or dad knows a garda socially and he has a quite word about the company your brother is keeping and the fact that it is likely to get him in trouble would you consider that harassment or good community policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Don't think you said what age your brother is?
    Not sure that it makes a difference,but the younger he is the more buiseness they'd have in tipping your parents off.
    Doubt very much they'd call round,but no harm in letting him sweat.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    The Gardai are tasked with enforcing the laws of the country , your brothers friend is a legitimate target for them , your brother through his choices has made himself a suspicious person through his associations

I can safely assume that when your brother gets searched a few times under the misuse of drugs act and nothing is found you ll be on alleging harassment.

you realize the gardai can speak to anyone for any reason and it doent constitute harassment ?

of course you have a negative attitude towards the gardai ? every time you've mentioned them in this thread you are negative and critical.
    If your mam or dad knows a garda socially and he has a quite word about the company your brother is keeping and the fact that it is likely to get him in trouble would you consider that harassment or good community policing?

It's a debate on the internet, making assumptions and putting words in my mouth are par for the course.

I posted this originally to try figure out how likely it was they'd knock on the door as he came to me for advice, getting into an extensive examination of my attitude to the Gardaí isn't something I'm looking to spend my evening doing. You have a point but as do I, I don't intend to spend the night fleshing those points out though so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Don't think you said what age your brother is?
    Not sure that it makes a difference,but the younger he is the more buiseness they'd have in tipping your parents off.
    Doubt very much they'd call round,but no harm in letting him sweat.

He's 19 and yeah, ideal outcome he bricks it for the next few days and sees sense but they ultimately don't land down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Look up the judges rules which apply to the Guards in Ireland. Rule number 1 specifically says that a guard is entitled to question any person with a view to finding out whether or by whom am offence has been committed. Translates to a guard can question anybody at any time with a view to gaining info.

If they call to your parents house for a chat as you put it, then so be it. They are not doing anything wrong in that. Of course you can turn them away but you can be sure that of that happens they will watch your brother all the more closely as it will seem he has something to hide.

It's a debate on the internet, making assumptions and putting words in my mouth are par for the course.

I posted this originally to try figure out how likely it was they'd knock on the door as he came to me for advice, getting into an extensive examination of my attitude to the Gardaí isn't something I'm looking to spend my evening doing. You have a point but as do I, I don't intend to spend the night fleshing those points out though so we'll have to agree to disagree.

well i answered your question in my first post here .

him getting searched is a very likely by product of the circumstances you outlined much more so than some one calling to the house

your attitude is very clear to both me and many other posters here as can be seen from the replys you are getting

happy to help :) and hope your brother gets the help he needs

well i answered your question in my first post here .

him getting searched is a very likely by product of the circumstances you outlined much more so than some one calling to the house

your attitude is very clear to both me and many other posters here as can be seen from the replys you are getting

happy to help :)and hope your brother gets the help he needs

That's just snide and nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

And what craic would he have then?

Seriously heading to festivals like Life and getting off your head with a few friends will be hard beat.

Shure, the cops probably ended up having a few lines of his buddies coke back at the station anyways

• Advertisement

is it ?

why you came and posted here looking for help didnt you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

The bigger picture that some might see is that little brother is at the very least hanging around with people that have amounts of class A drugs large enough to be considered possession with intent. There is a good chance he has at least experimented with drugs, or soon will.

I wouldn't be waiting around to see if the Gardai are likely to call to the parents. If I were you I would be talking to my parents myself, or persuading him to talk to them.

Class A's ruin lives, they're already negatively affecting your brothers. Do your brother a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Your brother is 19 and was searched which resulted in nothing found.

End of story.

Tell him to move on with his life

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Didn't notice an attitude myself,but maybe I missed something.
    Either way,very unlikely he'll get a visit over this,but very possible he'll get one in the future given the circle he's mixing in.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Didn't notice an attitude myself,but maybe I missed something.
    Either way,very unlikely he'll get a visit over this,but very possible he'll get one in the future given the circle he's mixing in.

“I hope your brother gets the help that he needs” is quite clearly an assertion that my brother has a drug problem, based on the evidence he was in the same car as someone who brought drugs to a festival. Snide and nasty are the only words for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Hoboo

“I hope your brother gets the help that he needs” is quite clearly an assertion that my brother has a drug problem, based on the evidence he was in the same car as someone who brought drugs to a festival. Snide and nasty are the only words for it.

Show me your friends and Ill tell you who you are.......if you think your brother isn't taking something you're deluded.

im starting to see why you have a problem with authority if you can read an insult from that remark

Hoboo wrote: »
    Show me your friends and Ill tell you who you are.......if you think your brother isn't taking something you're deluded.

Well he’s having no academic issues in college, is playing senior football with our club and goes out probably 3 times a month due to football commitments so if he decides to go to a festival and experiment I would be of the opinion that’s his call to make. If you think there aren’t dozens of people you know taking recreational drugs once in a while and leading perfectly normal lives then maybe we're both deluded.

im starting to see why you have a problem with authority if you can read an insult from that remark

If you were half as sharp as you seem to think you are you’d be twice as sharp as you actually are.

It’s very clear what you meant, a quick browse of your post history shows you’ve plenty of form for needlessly inflammatory posts.

Keep posting though, it’s a night off for someone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You weren't 100% deferential to the Gardai so you've caught the ire of the pro garda posters here, much like real life tbh. Don't mind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Well he’s having no academic issues in college, is playing senior football with our club and goes out probably 3 times a month due to football commitments so if he decides to go to a festival and experiment I would be of the opinion that’s his call to make. If you think there aren’t dozens of people you know taking recreational drugs once in a while and leading perfectly normal lives then maybe we're both deluded.

Completely his call, I don't think he has a problem, don't know the fella. I know more than dozens of very successful drug users, my office alone is full of them.

But you're painting a picture of an innocent fella when he's not, and making it out he's hanging around with a bad bunch.

You weren't 100% deferential to the Gardai so you've caught the ire of the pro garda posters here, much like real life tbh. Don't mind them

I can just see him smashing away at the keyboard between attacks on what’s left of his junior box with a big beetroot Templemore head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Completely his call, I don't think he has a problem, don't know the fella. I know more than dozens of very successful drug users, my office alone is full of them.

But you're painting a picture of an innocent fella when he's not, and making it out he's hanging around with a bad bunch.

+1
    Ill eat a hat if a lad dealing enough to bring back 3g's of coke and another lad with the remnants of a bag of mdma are hanging round OP's brother to go to the most drug fuelled festival in the land and watch him sip a few tins. But sure its what young lads do, doesn't make it great but sure all walks of life are in to drugs, its a bigger thing now than ever.

I’m only a little bit older than him at 26, I’ve been there worn the t-shirt and done my own experimenting at festivals and the like. I’ve no doubt he’s not completely innocent, who is.

But given the choice I’d rather he got away with this, that mightn’t seem like the most virtuous outlook but there it is. Maybe he’d a few lines at the festival, maybe he didn’t. I’ve been there and the last thing I’d have needed was the Gardaí landing down at the door because one of your mates gets caught with a few grams.

He’s well adjusted and not an idiot, I’ve no doubt he’ll have his few mad years but will ultimately be fine just like I, and a significant proportion of my friends did.

+1
    Ill eat a hat if a lad dealing enough to bring back 3g's of coke and another lad with the remnants of a bag of mdma are hanging round OP's brother to go to the most drug fuelled festival in the land and watch him sip a few tins. But sure its what young lads do, doesn't make it great but sure all walks of life are in to drugs, its a bigger thing now than ever.

I would echo this sentiment.

As a side note I wasn’t aware Life had a reputation for being particularly drug fueled. He did say the place was absolutely crawling with undercover Garda and the amount of guys caught was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would echo this sentiment.

As a side note I wasn’t aware Life had a reputation for being particularly drug fueled. He did say the place was absolutely crawling with undercover Garda and the amount of guys caught was unreal.

the irish festival scene has canibalised itself into targetted festivals for certain groups , and for working class lads on drugs its life festival, I know drug dealers that won't even go to it for fear of threats from others or being robbed, it probably has the largest undercover garda presence of any music festival in the country.

I can just see him smashing away at the keyboard between attacks on what’s left of his junior box with a big beetroot Templemore head on him.

lol and anyone who makes clear and logical points even answering your original question is garda right ?

just because you dont agree and cant understand what someone else is saying doesn't mean they are wrong , just look at all the other posters who gave you the same answer

think you posted this in the wrong area anyway ,

you didnt ask a legal question for a legal discussion ,

its after hours you want kid , yes kid maturity is a issue

anyway i have to get this pudding box back to the station before the nightly hippyhunt :D:D

lol and anyone who makes clear and logical points even answering your original question is garda right ?

just because you dont agree and cant understand what someone else is saying doesn't mean they are wrong , just look at all the other posters who gave you the same answer

think you posted this in the wrong area anyway ,

you didnt ask a legal question for a legal discussion ,

its after hours you want kid , yes kid maturity is a issue

anyway i have to get this pudding box back to the station before the nightly hippyhunt :D:D

Typical patronising Garda oul fella, at least you've a nice pension to look forward too when your days of taking the fun out of everyones weekend at a festival are over.

Typical patronising Garda oul fella, at least you've a nice pension to look forward too when your days of taking the fun out of everyones weekend at a festival are over.

Age and maturity are not the same thing

why are you getting so upset ? if you dont like the answers you got why did you ask the question here ?

as i said before afterhours would have given you the rabble rousing answers you wanted

• Advertisement

Age and maturity are not the same thing

why are you getting so upset ? if you dont like the answers you got why did you ask the question here ?

as i said before afterhours would have given you the rabble rousing answers you wanted

Bolded bit doesn't address anything I've said, more incoherent rambling.

I have no issue with the answers I've received and I'm in absolutely majestic form so don't be too concerned about me being upset. You'd be better off concerning yourself with why you spend your evenings on the internet implying young lads you don't know from Adam have drug problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement