Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda potentially calling to house

Options
  • 27-05-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

My younger brother was travelling back from Life music festival today and the car he was travelling in was pulled over.

Five young lads in the car all searched, one guy caught with an absolutely tiny quantity of MDMA (less than .1gs apparently, literally a bit of dust but nonetheless enough to charge him) another guy caught with a more substantial quantity of cocaine (3-4 grams).

My brother and the 2 others had nothing of the sort and were thoroughly searched nothing found, nonetheless his name and address was taken. He's just arrived home and is absolutely petrified the Garda will arrive at the door and my parents will find out what happened.

He has done nothing wrong but nonetheless if someone arrives at the door telling my parents he was in a car with lads who were caught with drugs there is likely to be hell to pay.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of them calling is or what his rights are if they do? I assume in the absence of probable cause / a warrant they are essentially just there for a chat and you're not compelled to humour them?

I feel like it would be a typical Garda thing to do, search him thoroughly and find nothing but knowing he's 19 and living at home turn up at the house anyway for a chat and flag it with his parents who are obviously going to panic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

They would really need a good reason to waste their time dropping out. I'd imagine is extremely slim you will ever hear from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

My younger brother was travelling back from Life music festival today and the car he was travelling in was pulled over.

Five young lads in the car all searched, one guy caught with an absolutely tiny quantity of MDMA (less than .1gs apparently, literally a bit of dust but nonetheless enough to charge him) another guy caught with a more substantial quantity of cocaine (3-4 grams).

My brother and the 2 others had nothing of the sort and were thoroughly searched nothing found, nonetheless his name and address was taken. He's just arrived home and is absolutely petrified the Garda will arrive at the door and my parents will find out what happened.

He has done nothing wrong but nonetheless if someone arrives at the door telling my parents he was in a car with lads who were caught with drugs there is likely to be hell to pay.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of them calling is or what his rights are if they do? I assume in the absence of probable cause / a warrant they are essentially just there for a chat and you're not compelled to humour them?

I feel like it would be a typical Garda thing to do, search him thoroughly and find nothing but knowing he's 19 and living at home turn up at the house anyway for a chat and flag it with his parents who are obviously going to panic.

Your brother was searched under the misuse of drugs act. The Garda who conducted the search will record it on pulse as a negative search and move on with his life.

There's no grand conspiracy here, the garda who stopped the car won't make contact with the local Gardai unless it's to serve a summons on your brother, but if you're brother had nothing on him then he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

source wrote: »
    Your brother was searched under the misuse of drugs act. The Garda who conducted the search will record it on pulse as a negative search and move on with his life.

There's no grand conspiracy here, the garda who stopped the car won't make contact with the local Gardai unless it's to serve a summons on your brother, but if you're brother had nothing on him then he'll be grand.

Cheers, I'd have thought as much but wasn't sure.

I'd say your brother is telling you porkies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Seen as your brother had nothing on him, I doubt they will bother as they cant charge him with anything

• Advertisement

Well if he was caught with something I assume it's a foregone conclusion they're going to land out here so he'll get no benefit from not telling me the truth.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    They would really need a good reason to waste their time dropping out. I'd imagine is extremely slim you will ever hear from them again.

Don't know if this was deliberate or an oversight but thankfully I've an address in Dublin that they'd be getting sent to if anything like this happened me and I'd be looking forward to them landing at my door without any reason to be there expecting me to humour them.

The issue here is them landing down when my parents are at home and they've no business being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Don't know if this was deliberate or an oversight but thankfully I've an address in Dublin that they'd be getting sent to if anything like this happened me and I'd be looking forward to them landing at my door without any reason to be there expecting me to humour them.

The issue here is them landing down when my parents are at home and they've no business being there.

Coming back with 3-4g's..........not the kind of quantity you come back with unless you didn't shift it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a courtesy call to see who he is. He's hanging around with someone who's just been caught with albeit a small amount of class A, it's a large amount under the circumstances, and enough to warrant a follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

coming back from the biggest drug festival in the country with 3g's of coke, that lad is definitely dealing and id say the gardai were watching him all weekend.Your brother isn't keeping the best company. The likelihood of any further garda action is low though.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Coming back with 3-4g's..........not the kind of quantity you come back with unless you didn't shift it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a courtesy call to see who he is. He's hanging around with someone who's just been caught with albeit a small amount of class A, it's a large amount under the circumstances, and enough to warrant a follow up.

Guy caught with the 3 grams was apparently also caught at the festival itself so has been caught with multiple grams twice in 2 days, I assume double charges of possession with intent to supply is suspended sentence territory but I'm not worried about him tbh.

Obviously it's not ideal that he's friendly with people of that profile but I'm not one for pontificating so I've had a word but ultimately he was searched and found to be clean so I'm taking his word that it's not a case he's involved but got lucky. There's 3 of them in the same boat and the forth young lad is just stupid for not tossing his pretty much empty bag of MDMA. It's not like he was in a car with 4 lads and they're all getting done, the one bad apple angle is believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Guy caught with the 3 grams was apparently also caught at the festival itself so has been caught with multiple grams twice in 2 days, I assume double charges of possession with intent to supply is suspended sentence territory but I'm not worried about him tbh.

Obviously it's not ideal that he's friendly with people of that profile but I'm not one for pontificating so I've had a word but ultimately he was searched and found to be clean so I'm taking his word that it's not a case he's involved but got lucky. There's 3 of them in the same boat and the forth young lad is just stupid for not tossing his pretty much empty bag of MDMA. It's not like he was in a car with 4 lads and they're all getting done, the one bad apple angle is believable.

Don't need to convince me. But I doubt they'll look at the one bad apple theory, and go for the where there's smoke there's fire theory. They might call, they might not, but I'd be surprised if they don't.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Don't need to convince me. But I doubt they'll look at the one bad apple theory, and go for the where there's smoke there's fire theory. They might call, they might not, but I'd be surprised if they don't.

But do they have any business calling here when they have nothing to investigate? Is it valid to turn up at his door because he was in the same car as someone who has broke the law?

If it was me and they turned up at my apartment for "a chat" having searched me and found nothing whatsoever it would be a very, very brief chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Their business is that they are following up on drug related activity.

If your little brother doesnt want the Guards calling to the house then perhaps he should choose his friends more carefully!!

....... wrote: »
    Their business is that they are following up on drug related activity.

If your little brother doesnt want the Guards calling to the house then perhaps he should choose his friends more carefully!!

He is not his friends keeper and in my opinion what has happened doesn't constitute probable cause to be arriving at his door, there is no prospect of him being charged with anything so surely calling down for scones and a chat is wasting their and his time.

Aware my opinion may well not be consistent with the law and ultimately I don't get to decide what goes but I feel it's overreach to land down and tell the parents of a young lad you can't demonstrate has done anything wrong that he was found to be in the company of someone who had. Then again the force isn't exactly known to be averse to overreaching their authority so I should probably tell the brother to put the kettle on and take down all his Maurice McCabe posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

But if your brother is travelling in cars with drug dealers then god knows what other nasty things might happen to him?

What if some trigger happy hooligan decides he wants to take pot shots at yer man and your brother happens to be in the car?

Will you be so busy defending his right to hang around with drug dealers then?

No offence man, but water finds it level. If you hang around with people who are drug dealers you can expect a bit of hassle to rub off you by association. The Guards calling in to have a scone would be the least of it.

But if your brother is travelling in cars with drug dealers then god knows what other nasty things might happen to him?

What if some trigger happy hooligan decides he wants to take pot shots at yer man and your brother happens to be in the car?

No offence man, but water finds it level. If you hang around with people who are drug dealers you can expect a bit of hassle to rub off you by association. The Guards calling in to have a scone would be the least of it.

First 3 paragraphs are sensationalist nonsense and as for the last one I don't necessarily disagree tbh but that ultimately isn't my question.

I'm trying to advise him on whether he should tell my parents now or wing it and risk someone arriving at the door, that he shouldn't be hanging around with lads who get into these situations I have made very clear to him but ultimately it's not my call.

In any case it looks like the answer is maybe so he'll have to sweat it out for a few days. Ideally he'll **** bricks for a week or two and they ultimately don't come down, might scare sense into him without it going nuclear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

What sort of a muppet gets caught twice in the space of a few hours? And the clown with the empty bag??? Mother of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

you need to stop reading the Sunday World.

What sort of a muppet gets caught twice in the space of a few hours? And the clown with the empty bag??? Mother of God.

My guess is he had it on credit and couldn't afford to throw it away and just got very unlucky.

As for the empty bag, complete turkey but probably forgot about it in his wallet/bag or something. Imagine it'll be a caution only but still absolute idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The cops might call down for a chat in the knowledge that your brother will get a bollocking from the parents or put the parents on alert. There is probably nothing illegal in that if they were to call down, but even if there was what are you going to do? Doubt there is a law against Calling around and having a chat,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The guards have no reason to call to your parents. It would be be a complete waste of time to do so.
    As another poster mentioned, his details were recorded simply for the pulse records.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

He is not his friends keeper and in my opinion what has happened doesn't constitute probable cause to be arriving at his door, there is no prospect of him being charged with anything so surely calling down for scones and a chat is wasting their and his time.

Aware my opinion may well not be consistent with the law and ultimately I don't get to decide what goes but I feel it's overreach to land down and tell the parents of a young lad you can't demonstrate has done anything wrong that he was found to be in the company of someone who had. Then again the force isn't exactly known to be averse to overreaching their authority so I should probably tell the brother to put the kettle on and take down all his Maurice McCabe posters.

you are right that he isnt his friends keeper but he chooses to be with this guy who is carrying a fairly significant amount of coke given the circumstances you outlined especially as he was already caught .
    As for probable cause thats not a thing in Ireland, if anything its reasonably suspect .
    Your brother was in the company of some one who it is obvious would be reasonably suspected of having drugs on him the next time he is spotted. he can expect to be stoped and searched regularly as can your brother because of their association . i m sure he will not enjoy that but thats the price for being the friend of a drug dealer .

you and your brother both seem to have a certain negative attitude towards law enforcement but i wonder would your parents like to know what kind of people their son is hanging around with.

that said it is very unlikely that gardai will call for a chat and your parents are not under any obligation to deal with them assuming their not there with a warrant however that kind of hostility would benefit no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Well I think they’d be in their right to panic. In fairness, Life is one of the biggest drug fests in the country, but I don’t think your parents would be happy that he’s hanging around with lads especially on coke.

If they/you are suspicious, I think you’d be on the ball.

The cops might call down for a chat in the knowledge that your brother will get a bollocking from the parents or put the parents on alert. There is probably nothing illegal in that if they were to call down, but even if there was what are you going to do? Doubt there is a law against Calling around and having a chat,

TBH if it was me I would be completely friendly and pleasant to them but I would tell them in no uncertain terms that I wasn't guilty of any crime and that I didn't want them on my doorstep unless they had a crime to investigate. If they called to my door more than once I would consider going to the Ombudsman and reporting them for harassing me when I had done nothing wrong.

The Gardaí are not above the law and are not entitled to do what they like to innocent citizens. The attitude in bold is something none of us should accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

This. The whole thing stinks of little Johnny could do no wrong.
    The OPs brother was searched because he was in the company of someone carrying 3g of cocaine.
    And the OPs focus is with the guards doing their job and keeping this all on the QT from his parents?
    Cop on to yourself and give your brother a kick in the hole for hanging around with what sounds like a drug dealing scumbag.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    you are right that he isnt his friends keeper but he chooses to be with this guy who is carrying a fairly significant amount of coke given the circumstances you outlined especially as he was already caught .
    As for probable cause thats not a thing in Ireland, if anything its reasonably suspect .
    Your brother was in the company of some one who it is obvious would be reasonably suspected of having drugs on him the next time he is spotted. he can expect to be stoped and searched regularly as can your brother because of their association . i m sure he will not enjoy that but thats the price for being the friend of a drug dealer .

you and your brother both seem to have a certain negative attitude towards law enforcement but i wonder would your parents like to know what kind of people their son is hanging around with.

that said it is very unlikely that gardai will call for a chat and your parents are not under any obligation to deal with them assuming their not there with a warrant however that kind of hostility would benefit no one.

No, I have an issue with authority figures overstepping themselves and hiding behind the uniform as an excuse. The Gardaí haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in this regard over the last decade or so and yes, I would be very quick to curtail their activity if they were turning up to my door when I hadn't committed an offence. But I think it's unfair to say I have a negative attitude towards law enforcement, I'm just of the opinion that if you haven't broken the law they have no business hassling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like a young fella with a coke problem, he should be going somewhere to clean up tomorrow and not after the judge meets him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No, I have an issue with authority figures overstepping themselves and hiding behind the uniform as an excuse. The Gardaí haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in this regard over the last decade or so and yes,I would be very quick to curtail their activity if they were turning up to my door when I hadn't committed an offence. But I think it's unfair to say I have a negative attitude towards law enforcement, I'm just of the opinion that if you haven't broken the law they have no business hassling you.

Bit in red is a reasonable thing to say given the bit in blue.
    Gardai perform their duties without any prejudice or issue 1000's of times a week and when they mess up the odd time, we hear about it.

Not every police officer is the same as those out of The seven Five in NY.

#notacop

No, I have an issue with authority figures overstepping themselves and hiding behind the uniform as an excuse. The Gardaí haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in this regard over the last decade or so and yes, I would be very quick to curtail their activity if they were turning up to my door when I hadn't committed an offence. But I think it's unfair to say I have a negative attitude towards law enforcement, I'm just of the opinion that if you haven't broken the law they have no business hassling you.

So no negative feelings towards Gardai but you start a thread about them overstepping themselves & making trouble for your brother when you have no reason to believe this will happen.
    I hope your brother had a better attitude when the Gardai were dealing him!

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    So no negative feelings towards Gardai but you start a thread about them overstepping themselves & making trouble for your brother when you have no reason to believe this will happen.
    I hope your brother had a better attitude when the Gardai were dealing him!

*to establish the likelihood this will happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement