Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They start with 04.00 and end 03.30. It should be 00.00 and end at 23.30.

Cutover time for daily tickets possibly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, from swords to town the bus goes at 1am and 3am on Monday but every other midweek day it goes at 1.30 and 3.30 so makes sense to split the days from 4am to 3.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Will the daily Luas caps/weekly caps last until midnight that day or midnight Sunday in case of weekly caps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

showpony1 wrote: »
    Will the daily Luas caps/weekly caps last until midnight that day or midnight Sunday in case of weekly caps?

I don’t think it’s midnight. I know the caps apply to the nitelink too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Qrt wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s midnight. I know the caps apply to the nitelink too.

Everywhere you look says the leap cap doesn't apply to nitelinks, but whenever I've gotten it I've only been charged €2.00 instead of €4.50 when I've reached my daily/weekly cap

• Advertisement

p_haugh wrote: »
    Everywhere you look says the leap cap doesn't apply to nitelinks, but whenever I've gotten it I've only been charged €2.00 instead of €4.50 when I've reached my daily/weekly cap

It’s a max contribution of 2.50 towards the cap afaik

Qrt wrote: »
    It’s a max contribution of 2.50 towards the cap afaik

I figured as much, still weird they don't advertise it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its beyond not advertising it; they've basically stripped all mention of it from anywhere!

Nitelink services probably only have a few years left before they're all replaced with 24h routes anyway but it'd still make sense to tell people about this.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its beyond not advertising it; they've basically stripped all mention of it from anywhere!

They specifically mention on the leapcard website that nitelinks (among other services) are excluded from daily/weekly caps.

Even better then, the only mention of it is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They start with 04.00 and end 03.30. It should be 00.00 and end at 23.30.

In many European cities daily tickets are valid until 3/4am so presumably Dublin will follow that model. The idea is that your ticket can get you to an evening/night event and home without need for changing tickets/days

It makes sense to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

They're getting rid of the 15N service, makes sense.
    Amending the 49N however to basically cover the old 15N route is ridiculous and now leaves the other end of Knocklyon/Firhouse with no nightlink and both the 15/49N serving woodstown/Ballycullen. Stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

They're getting rid of the 15N service, makes sense.
    Amending the 49N however to basically cover the old 15N route is ridiculous and now leaves the other end of Knocklyon/Firhouse with no nightlink and both the 15/49N serving woodstown/Ballycullen. Stupid

You wouldn't fancy getting that 49N all the way to Kilnamanagh on that convoluted route with a few pints on you. I'd be long asleep before the end.

I'm curious what they'll do with the 46n if the 46a (or even the 145/155) ends up becoming a 24 hour route as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭xper

Hmmm, maybe they are be having a rethink! 15 and 41 timetable currently unavailable on the Dublin Bus website and the above link is showing their website CMS login

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dodge wrote: »
    In many European cities daily tickets are valid until 3/4am so presumably Dublin will follow that model. The idea is that your ticket can get you to an evening/night event and home without need for changing tickets/days

It makes sense to be fair

Well it doesn't.

Plenty of tickets are valid into the early hours and no need for a ridiculous timetable design.

Well it doesn't.

Plenty of tickets are valid into the early hours and no need for a ridiculous timetable design.

I would hazard a guess that they're keeping the timetable in the same format as all the other routes, with "first service" for the day being at 4/5 am.
    Also, having the times for the day go until 3.30 helps to indicate that the last service is not at midnight like every other route either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Any word of how the 24 hour busses went? Was there much of a take up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

p_haugh wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that they're keeping the timetable in the same format as all the other routes, with "first service" for the day being at 4/5 am.
    Also, having the times for the day go until 3.30 helps to indicate that the last service is not at midnight like every other route either.

The "first service" no longer applies to this route and there is no real explanation for it.

I was on the 04.30 on Sunday morning and there was about 20 (2-3) boarded at N Circular Rd, Drumcondra Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Last week I got on the 15 at about 1.40 in Artane and there was maybe 4 or 5 people on it. A few stragglers heading in to town I'd say. By the time it got to town it started to fill up nicely. I was upstairs (So I didn't see downstairs obviously) but upstairs was about 80% full (Now as I said there may have been people standing downstairs) from Dame Street to Terenure when people started getting off. I got off in Templeogue then and there was still a few people using it to get home towards Tallaght direction.

There was a few drunk people falling asleep but it was innocuous. No trouble from what I've seen.

The rest were all sorts then, couples, singles, groups of friends etc using it to get home and saving themselves a few quid in the process.

Good service. I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement

I saw a 15 go along Westmoreland Street at 03:45 this morning while I was waiting for the Nitelink.

It looked packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got on the 15 on Friday at 1.30am around the top of Amiens St heading Southside. There was only a couple of other people on it but was completely full by time we got to Georges St. We drove past bus stops all the way through Rathmines with loads of people waiting. My wife was on Camden St on Sat night about 2am and she said it was same thing with 15 driving past full and loads of people waiting at the bus stop. It's a great and cheap way to get home but if you're in Camden St/Rathmines heading south between 12 and 3 forget about it. They should really put on a bus every 10 minutes on Friday and Saturday during these peak times, even if just for Christmas. Altogether it's a great service and hopefully it grows and improves to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I got on the 15 on Friday at 1.30am around the top of Amiens St heading Southside. There was only a couple of other people on it but was completely full by time we got to Georges St. We drove past bus stops all the way through Rathmines with loads of people waiting. My wife was on Camden St on Sat night about 2am and she said it was same thing with 15 driving past full and loads of people waiting at the bus stop. It's a great and cheap way to get home but if you're in Camden St/Rathmines heading south between 12 and 3 forget about it. They should really put on a bus every 10 minutes on Friday and Saturday during these peak times, even if just for Christmas. Altogether it's a great service and hopefully it grows and improves to meet demand.

And may I ask where are going to find drivers to make it every ten minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ax586 wrote: »

Same place the found the ones driving every 30 minutes one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Same place the found the ones driving every 30 minutes one would think.

You do realise they are still short drivers for the one they are running now..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That's often the case if you need a particular route in that area during the regular evening hours. 14, 15, 16s in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You do realise they are still short drivers for the one they are running now..

I don't know what the margins are on running 24 hour buses but I would hope they can incentivise more drivers to do it and not be running at a loss. Ultimately Dublin Bus is a business and the aim of the business is getting as many people on as many buses as possible in order to turn a profit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If it is successful enough, I could see DB starting to hire drivers specifically for expanding night services.

If the likes of Aircoach, etc. can hire drivers willing to drive at night, I see no reason why DB couldn't attract the same, given they tend to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

There's the auld reliable negative Dublin Bus attitude, service is obviously a success and the whinging continues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's the auld reliable negative Dublin Bus attitude, service is obviously a success and the whinging continues!

It's not unreasonable to expect a decent bus service. Just because we finally got two 24 hour bus routes, doesn't mean the public transport levels in Dublin are anywhere near the standard expected of a capital city.

Advertisement