Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous drug dealing tipoff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Medical professionals? Drug company salesmen more like.

Any proof of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If it was Margaret Cash that was doing this the tone of the posts would be much different. OP is the person is doing nixers report them to the DSP

Hmmmm I think I'll trust the word of medical professionals over cannabis smokers. Thanks very much.

I'm not a medical professional but I am a pharmacologist, so I might know just a little bit about what we're discussing here.

You say that as if medical professionals as a whole are of one mind on this issue.

They are not.
    This is one self appointed group of people writing a letter on an issue of concern to them - it is not representative of the preveiling stance within the sector.
    Medical doctors in Ireland receive no training whatsoever with regards to cannabis. They don't even study the brain's endocannabinoid system which is essential for a substantive understanding of the mechanisms at the molecular level i.e. doctors don't necessarily always know exactly what they're talking about - they are people and can be mistaken or caught up in idealogy just like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Report him to DSP.

If you saw someone being robbed on the street you wouldn't hesistate to call the guards.

I don't know why people have such a hangup over reporting crimes.

I'm not a medical professional but I am a pharmacologist, so I might know just a little bit about what we're discussing here.

You say that as if medical professionals as a whole are of one mind on this issue.

They are not.
    This is one self appointed group of people writing a letter on an issue of concern to them - it is not representative of the preveiling stance within the sector.
    Medical doctors in Ireland receive no training whatsoever with regards to cannabis. They don't even study the brain's endocannabinoid system which is essential for a substantive understanding of the mechanisms at the molecular level i.e. doctors don't necessarily always know exactly what they're talking about - they are people and can be mistaken or caught up in idealogy just like everybody else.

Like pharmacologists. No offence to you but you could be anyone. The doctors put their name to the letter. I think when it comes to something as important as damaging people's health, we definitely should air on the side of caution.
    Those researching the medical benefits of cannabis should be encouraged, those wanting it to be legalised so they can get stoned whenever and whereever they want, should be told to **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

those wanting it to be legalised so they can get stoned whenever and whereever they want, should be told to **** off.

What's your solution, keep funding the kenihans. Force another generation into the criminal justice system over a plant that makes most people content.
    LSD, Cannabis and Ecstasy will be legal here yet. All have benefits that outway the cons.

What's your solution, keep funding the kenihans. Force another generation into the criminal justice system over a plant that makes most people content.
    LSD, Cannabis and Ecstasy will be legal here yet. All have benefits that outway the cons.

Here's what the doctors have to say:

“There is growing scientific data that indicates that cannabis use in young people is related to impairments to memory and thinking, which can endure long after cannabis use has ceased.

“Cannabis is now the most common drug involved in new treatment episodes at addiction services nationally.

“Cannabis is also the most common substance involved in drug-related admissions to our psychiatric hospitals."

It's time to stop spreading the bull****. Cannabis is not the safe drug that you and others try to paint. It's dangerous.

Like pharmacologists. No offence to you but you could be anyone. The doctors put their name to the letter. I think when it comes to something as important as damaging people's health, we definitely should air on the side of caution.
    Those researching the medical benefits of cannabis should be encouraged, those wanting it to be legalised so they can get stoned whenever and whereever they want, should be told to **** off.

Fair enough, however I only want to stress the fact that their status as doctors does not render them experts in this field. They receive no additional training whatsoever in relation to cannabis, - if you want to know about a drug and its effects ask a pharmacologist, they are the experts when it comes to drugs, not doctors, and a doctor will often be the first to tell you that.

It's also worth pointing out that there is much lobbying against cannabis coming from pharmaceutical companies fearing it may supplant their ranges of opioid pain medications etc. Doctors can and have been bought before to speak out (or keep quiet) about the risks relating to any commercial endeavour.
    A fantastic example of this was Clair Patterson, a scientist who discovered the massive levels of lead pollution in the atmosphere due to the use of leaded petrol and had to fight doggedly against petrol company backed doctors who continued to assert these environmental levels of lead were safe.
    If you haven't seen it I urge you to watch the episode of Cosmos dealing with it

Water can kill if you drink enough if it, are you suggesting we ban that as it's dangerous.
    Abuse of anything isn't good for you. Should we take down all the swings in the county as there dangerous to women over 40?
    Where do you draw the line with adults, I don't think there should be one as long as your not directly harming anyone.

Cannabis is a human rights issue, it does not belong in the district court. When you have guards on their hands and knees picking up cannabis remains with sellotape to screw up a students life there's something rotten going on.

Fair enough, however I only want to stress the fact that their status as doctors does not render them experts in this field. They receive no additional training whatsoever in relation to cannabis, - if you want to know about a drug and its effects ask a pharmacologist, they are the experts when it comes to drugs, not doctors, and a doctor will often be the first to tell you that.

It's also worth pointing out that there is much lobbying against cannabis coming from pharmaceutical companies fearing it may supplant their ranges of opioid pain medications etc. Doctors can and have been bought before to speak out (or keep quiet) about the risks relating to any commercial endeavour.
    A fantastic example of this was Clair Patterson, a scientist who discovered the massive levels of lead pollution in the atmosphere due to the use of leaded petrol and had to fight doggedly against petrol company backed doctors who continued to assert these environmental levels of lead were safe.
    If you haven't seen it I urge you to watch the episode of Cosmos dealing with it

Do doctors not have to deal with the consequences of cannabis use. I've quoted what they have been saying in the above post.

• Advertisement

Water can kill if you drink enough if it, are you suggesting we ban that as it's dangerous.
    Abuse of anything isn't good for you. Should we take down all the swings in the county as there dangerous to women over 40?
    Where do you draw the line with adults, I don't think there should be one as long as your not directly harming anyone.

Cannabis is a human rights issue, it does not belong in the district court. When you have guards on their hands and knees picking up cannabis remains with sellotape to screw up a students life there's something rotten going on.

Whataboutery won't work. Read what the doctors are saying. People's health shouldn't be put at risk because you want to get stoned whenever you want.

Here's what the doctors have to say:

“There is growing scientific data that indicates that cannabis use in young people is related to impairments to memory and thinking, which can endure long after cannabis use has ceased.

“Cannabis is now the most common drug involved in new treatment episodes at addiction services nationally.

“Cannabis is also the most common substance involved in drug-related admissions to our psychiatric hospitals."

It's time to stop spreading the bull****. Cannabis is not the safe drug that you and others try to paint. It's dangerous.

Who's advocating for its legality in young people? I think everybody agrees it needs to be very tightly regulated in this regard.

Needs further data to be able to draw significant conclusions. How many of these people were using their cannabis in combination with highly addictive tobacco?

Cannabis is also the most commonly used recreational drug in Ireland by a long way. What would those figures look like were alcohol related admissions to psychiatric hospitals included?

I agree with you that too many people disregard it as being risk free, but on the other hand too many people also hugely overblow its risk - these also are generally people completely unfamiliar with the drug and how its used. It's not a miracle drug, but its also not the devil's lettuce, relative to alcohol (the use of which is extremely normalised and acceptable) it's probably not as bad in terms of harm to society. People are and will continue using it regardless of its legal status.
    Take it out of the hands of criminals, tax it and regulate its supply.

Whataboutery won't work. Read what the doctors are saying. People's health shouldn't be put at risk because you want to get stoned whenever you want.

I've smoked cannabis with doctors, they all hold different opinions on the subject. Nobody is going to live forever and if you think cannabis kills just look at Willie Nelson.
    I can't believe your afraid of a plant. 1st cousin of hops, are you afraid of that one as well.

Who's advocating for its legality in young people? I think everybody agrees it needs to be very tightly regulated in this regard.

Needs further data to be able to draw significant conclusions. How many of these people were using their cannabis in combination with highly addictive tobacco?

Cannabis is also the most commonly used recreational drug in Ireland by a long way. What would those figures look like were alcohol related admissions to psychiatric hospitals included?

I agree with you that too many people disregard it as being risk free, but on the other hand too many people also hugely overblow its risk - these also are generally people completely unfamiliar with the drug and how its used. It's not a miracle drug, but its also not the devil's lettuce, relative to alcohol (the use of which is extremely normalised and acceptable) it's probably not as bad in terms of harm to society. People are and will continue using it regardless of its legal status.
    Take it out of the hands of criminals, tax it and regulate its supply.

As you point out, we already have alcohol, look at how much damage that is causing and has caused. Why add to it? And alcohol is banned for under 18's yet so many use it.

I've smoked cannabis with doctors, they all hold different opinions on the subject. Nobody is going to live forever and if you think cannabis kills just look at Willie Nelson.
    I can't believe your afraid of a plant. 1st cousin of hops, are you afraid of that one as well.

Read what the doctors say again:

It's time for you to stop being so selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Doctors are the 3rd leading cause of death. The majority of GPs I have interacted with are no more than rote learned fools with no ambition.

Doctors are the 3rd leading cause of death. The majority of GPs I have interacted with are no more than rote learned fools with no ambition.

Right, basically there's no argument for this apart from 'I want to get stoned'.

Read what the doctors say again:

It's time for you to stop being so selfish.

It's the most common drug after tobacco and alcohol. Of course the stats are going to show it as the top illegal drug, watch their words they left out alcohol as it's legal.
    There's underlying medial issues in most of those cases and if we had the data and the data asked all the questions you'd find that cannabis is not actually to blame for their predicament.
    If it was legal again anyone might be more tempted to get help earlier, right now they run the risk of a brush with the law as well as the negative prescription by some of society.

Right, basically there's no argument for this apart from 'I want to get stoned'.

Why would you begrudge a tax paying adult.

It's the most common drug after tobacco and alcohol. Of course the stats are going to show it as the top illegal drug, watch their words they left out alcohol as it's legal.
    There's underlying medial issues in most of those cases and if we had the data and the data asked all the questions you'd find that cannabis is not actually to blame for their predicament.
    If it was legal again anyone might be more tempted to get help earlier, right now they run the risk of a brush with the law as well as the negative prescription by some of society.

Read what they said again:

It doesn't seem to be sinking in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Report him for fraud

Why would you begrudge a tax paying adult.

As I said, it's time you matured and stopped being so selfish. Cannabis is causing harm to a large number of people.

As I said, it's time you matured and stopped being so selfish. Cannabis is causing harm to a large number of people.

Yes by dragging otherwise good people into the criminal justice system.

It's illegality is doing all the damage.

Yes by dragging otherwise good people into the criminal justice system.

It's illegality is doing all the damage.

You can try to ignore what the doctors are saying all you like. They're saying cannabis is causing huge problems for people and cauing psychiatric disorders. Looking after these people and preventing further people being damaged is more important than you wanting to get stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It doesn't seem to be sinking in.

It won't sink in, because once the damage is done, things don't.

A perfect example of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

You can try to ignore what the doctors are saying all you like. They're saying cannabis is causing huge problems for people and cauing psychiatric disorders. Looking after these people and preventing further people being damaged is more important than you wanting to get stoned.
    can we also ban alcohol then? pretty sure it's causing a lot more issues than cannabis ever has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Shai wrote: »
    can we also ban alcohol then? pretty sure it's causing a lot more issues than cannabis ever has.

Cannabis is bad! Take your GP prescribed valium instead.

I am the future people. Were doing fine. Would be great if you all could stop persecuting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Regardless of what he is up to this guy is one of your husband's friends. Your actions may result in him going to prison. What is your husband going to think of that?

• Advertisement

Shai wrote: »

I've already said that alcohol is and has caused serious problems, why do you want to add more problems?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement