Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous drug dealing tipoff

Options
  • 25-05-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

What do people think of this. One of my husband's friends is an absolute waster, college educated with work available but he won't work. Is a low level (to friends etc) cannabis dealer and does nixers DIY etc on top of his dole. Has just been given council housing in a very affluent area while the rest of us work out behinds off to pay rent or mortgage.
    I also have a serious issue with people thinking recreational cannabis is harmless as I know from my own line of work it is far from harmless. Now most people might say let the Dole office sort out his dole claim and his cannabis use/dealing doesn't affect me but I really feel compelled every time I meet him and listen to his boasting to anonymously tip off re the cannabis. Not sure if gardai would even be interested.
    Am I being an a$$hole? Should I just mind my own business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

MYOB

Did you vote yesterday?

Contact one of your councillors. It falls in their remit in their clinics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Think of this way in a simplistic way

You know all that tax and prsi you pay and prob hate looking at or paying

It's going to him so imagine handing him a small bit of money each week

Would you ?

I'd report him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've a serious issue with people with a serious issue with recreational cannabis.
    Anyone who uses cannabis in the country is a low level cannabis dealer that's how the system works, freinds get it for friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Working and not paying tax I take issue with. Smoking a joint? What of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Speak to him, get to know him a bit? See if he is ok - underlying issues perhaps?
    Or he could just be a lazy (unt - either way - I wouldn't waste time reporting him or worse being jealous of what you imagine his glorious lifestyle to be.

That's it the lifestyle described is not one to be jealous of. He's not buying a yacht selling 50 bags.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Any legal discussion points in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

nuac wrote: »
    Mod

fair point - I didn't check - thought we were in AH!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

nuac wrote: »
    Mod

Sorry mods
    Searched for a crime thread and this popped up. Please move if more appropriate elsewhere. Thanks

• Advertisement

Working and not paying tax I take issue with. Smoking a joint? What of it?

No he's selling a few hundred quids worth a week of it to friends.

Did you vote yesterday?

Contact one of your councillors. It falls in their remit in their clinics

I certainly did but I would have thought it's a Garda matter (cannabis dealing).
    On paper he's probably entitled to dole and house. Or at least on whatever fairy stories he's feeding them.

maxsmum wrote: »
    No he's selling a few hundred quids worth a week of it to friends.

I have nothing against people using marijuana. I think the drug laws are wrong. I think he should be allowed by the state to be a small business owner and pay tax.

Wasting police resources on what it obviously a personal vendetta is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

I have nothing against people using marijuana. I think the drug laws are wrong. I think he should be allowed by the state to be a small business owner and pay tax.

Wasting police resources on what it obviously a personal vendetta is pointless.

Ironic though how anedcotally, police waste their resources on bringing people to court with a few tablets of ecstasy, a joint of cannabis, etc... for personal use while ignoring actual crimes like A&E.

I've heard so many stories of friends being punched/purse snatched or ever burgled and police are hesitant to do anything about it.

OP, you can go ahead and report but won't do much. There was someone in my school dealing cannabis. Principal asked me when he smelled it who it was from and so far the guy's not in prison and still in school..lol. I don't think you're friend is "big enough" to get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Muppet Man wrote: »
    MYOB
    Mind your own blow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Report away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

maxsmum wrote: »
    I also have a serious issue with people thinking recreational cannabis is harmless as I know from my own line of work it is far from harmless. ....

Totally agree. For some it's harmless, but for a substanital minority, it's extremely damaging.

I'd support regulating it, and only allowing sale to people over 25. But if this happened, the person this thread is about would likely not register a business: instead he'd find something else illegal (possibly even more harmful) to deal.

A tip-off re the dealing is unlikly to get many results. A tip off to welfare re the nixers may have more of an impact on him.

Keep your beak out of it and mind your own business.

You don't like this guy because you think he's a waster, that's obvious - but don't try and justify your intended action against him as being the result of his involvement with cannabis and your feelings surrounding it.
    As you've said he's a low level dealer, there are literally thousands of people at this level in Ireland, reporting it will make absolutely no difference in that regard, his customers will easily switch to another vendor.

You'd just be doing it out of simple spite, admit that to yourself first.

Over 25??

Don't put any limit on it, most of the people prescribed it are under 18. If there are problems in school or college refer them for medical help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

While I'm all for leagalisation coupled with a public smoking ban, in it's current form anyone who thinks even a bit of low level dealing is harmless is a bloody idiot. As some point there is generally a serious criminal element.

As for reporting it, bugger all point tbh. Report him to the dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

Totally agree. For some it's harmless, but for a substanital minority, it's extremely damaging.

I'd support regulating it, and only allowing sale to people over 25. But if this happened, the person this thread is about would likely not register a business: instead he'd find something else illegal (possibly even more harmful) to deal.
    That is an outstanding leap.

OP, I'd say this would be a mind your own business scenario. Things might look grand for him but it probably isn't. We all have our own crosses to bear, it's just more obvious with some than others. This guy sounds like he could very easily be depressed or suffer from anxiety which could explain the mixers and lack of motivation.

I'm not diagnosing, just putting it out there that things are rarely as they seem from the outside. Give the guy a break, we're all trying to make ends meet at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Didn't a study come out recently which showed that cannabis can be very damaging, not the harmless drug some make out? That's worse than the nixers in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Fiddlesticks99

Waster....not illegal

Lazy dole recipient.....not illegal

Drug dealer....Prove it

You "Know" recreational cannabis use is dangerous??....Alcohol and smoking is worse

None of this is your business OP, in any case you probably voted for the government parties that maintain this system.

Your fault really.

circadian wrote: »
    That is an outstanding leap.

OP, I'd say this would be a mind your own business scenario. Things might look grand for him but it probably isn't. We all have our own crosses to bear, it's just more obvious with some than others. This guy sounds like he could very easily be depressed or suffer from anxiety which could explain the mixers and lack of motivation.

I'm not diagnosing, just putting it out there that things are rarely as they seem from the outside. Give the guy a break, we're all trying to make ends meet at the end of the day.

He is probably doing low level dealing so he can smoke without having to pay for it with his dole money. Hardly Al Capone.

The crime is sale or supply, so as the law stands it doesn't matter if he sells it or gives the stuff away. It's still a crime.
    Social welfare fraud is also a crime.
    People in this country complain about crime all the time, yet very few are willing to do something about it themselves.
    Where do 'small dealers' get their drugs to sell? That's right, bigger dealers. We all know who the big dealers in this country are & the crime that happens because of their businesses.
    Report him if you feel like it OP, nothing wrong with doing so.

Didn't a study come out recently which showed that cannabis can be very damaging, not the harmless drug some make out? That's worse than the nixers in my opinion.

No?

I think you might be referring to a published letter penned by group of dublin medical professionals, their assertions are made based off their own anecdotal observations from their daily work, not rigourous clinical studies i.e. more idealogical than scientific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

No?

I think you might be referring to a published letter penned by group of dublin medical professionals, their assertions are made based off their own anecdotal observations from their daily work, not rigourous clinical studies i.e. more idealogical than scientific.

Hmmmm I think I'll trust the word of medical professionals over cannabis smokers. Thanks very much.

Hmmmm I think I'll trust the word of medical professionals over cannabis smokers. Thanks very much.

Medical professionals? Drug company salesmen more like.

• Advertisement

While I'm all for leagalisation coupled with a public smoking ban, in it's current form anyone who thinks even a bit of low level dealing is harmless is a bloody idiot. As some point there is generally a serious criminal element.

Why put T's & C's around it, smells like a herb it won't kill you to walk by some, if you walk through any shopping center these days the bang of it is everywhere from CBD.
    A big difference between the guy with the pot and actually drug dealers, your not dealing with career criminals or people trying to make a living out of it.
    We have a serious coke problem in this country there they guys in it for money not the hipppy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement