Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Midleton to Youghal [planning and design to commence 2023]

Options
  • 24-05-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Everyones going to jump into this thread thinking there is some magical update but there isn't. In the 2040 documents released by the government, this route is said to have adequate capacity and won't be touched, but since the rejigging of lights at the bridge in Castlemartyr it is jammed all day, and at 630pm on a Friday the jamups are back to the lake, 2.5km away from the lights.

I'm tempted to say Castlemartyr is now Irelands worst village bottleneck, in my mind it has now jumped above Claregalway and Adare as the most awful.

Its still baffling to me though how this section of the N25 feels overcapacity, has those two bottlenecks and yet isn't even on the cards to be touched before 2040. Bizarre?

Hopefully if a road opens I can look back on this post and say "It only took 20 years" or something like that.
    Post edited by marno21 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For what its worth, the old document on the old NRA website said that this route would be from Midleton to the Waterford side of the Youghal bypass before it was all cancelled back in 2010.

From what I know, a decision on the Lake View roundabout in Midleton had not been taken, there was no information on whether the Midleton bypass itself would be upgrade (Carrigtwohill - Midleton scheme ended at Midleton West) and nor was there a decision on what to do about the Youghal Bridge. Don't forget the next upstream crossing is Cappoquin, on the N72 with that dreadful hairpin. A realistic HGV diversion would be M8 to Cahir and then to Waterford along the N24.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Everyones going to jump into this thread thinking there is some magical update but there isn't. In the 2040 documents released by the government, this route is said to have adequate capacity and won't be touched, but since the rejigging of lights at the bridge in Castlemartyr it is jammed all day, and at 630pm on a Friday the jamups are back to the lake, 2.5km away from the lights.

I'm tempted to say Castlemartyr is now Irelands worst village bottleneck, in my mind it has now jumped above Claregalway and Adare as the most awful.

Its still baffling to me though how this section of the N25 feels overcapacity, has those two bottlenecks and yet isn't even on the cards to be touched before 2040. Bizarre?

Hopefully if a road opens I can look back on this post and say "It only took 20 years" or something like that.

It's not that bad. Let me brighten up your day by correcting that it won't be on the cards to be touched before 2027, not 2040 ;)

But I agree with the rest. The N22, N25 and N71 out of Cork are gaping holes in the NDP. They really should be advanced into planning & design now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I live in Ladysbridge just outside Castlemartyr, evenings are terrible which forces cars onto the local roads to avoid the village. I don't know why they won't bypass the village, as the crow flies only approx 1 mile of road would be needed.

I was one of those awful people today. Google told me traffic (on a Saturday afternoon) was jammed up to the lake, 2.5km away. I took backroads to Ladysbridge and went North to Castlemartyr and turned right to get on the main road. Its awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

MidMan25 wrote: »
    I live in Ladysbridge just outside Castlemartyr, evenings are terrible which forces cars onto the local roads to avoid the village. I don't know why they won't bypass the village, as the crow flies only approx 1 mile of road would be needed.

Drove the N25 through Castlemartyr for years. There’s a great shortcut through Mogeely which brings you out in Killeagh that cuts a huge amount of time off during busy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Drove the N25 through Castlemartyr for years. There’s a great shortcut through Mogeely which brings you out in Killeagh that cuts a huge amount of time off during busy times.

2-mile Inn, Mogeely, Killeagh.
    Narrow roads with a relatively poor surface. But it's probably faster than the Southern diversion through Ladysbridge.

I've had close-passes on this stretch by people rat-running. This makes it safer to cycle on the N25 (sadly).
    It's the same for the stretches of the Old Youghal Road or R639 with the N25/N8 in parallel: some of the rat-runners are crazy aggressive, trying to beat the main line time.
    Same for the Mill Road in Macroom, come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

That road is closed for 2 months for pipe laying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I had a browse on Google Maps live traffic on Friday evening last and Castlemartyr was by far the worst bottleneck in Cork. What's worse is that there's no plan to deal with it in the next 15 years. Macroom, Dunkettle, Mallow, Charleville, Carrs Hill all ahead of it (of course, they all need sorting too).

Within the ~45 schemes in the NDP, most of the country's bottlenecks will be solved (Abbeyfeale, Adare, Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carrick-on-Suir, Castlebar, Charleville, Clonmel, Dunkettle, Farranfore. Galway, Killaloe, Killarney, Letterkenny, Macroom, Mallow, Newcastle West, Slane, Tipperary Town, Virginia, Wexford).

Cork will remain with Cork city itself (the NW Quadrant at least), Inishannon, Bandon, Clonakilty, Midleton (Lakeview), Castlemartyr, Killeagh, along with the mess at Ovens which is a non-town bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Google Maps has Cork - Rosslare as 191km (2h41m)via N24, or 211km (2h50m) M8/N76 to Waterford, and then N24- there's a small tailback in Castlemartyr now. (You still get the benefit of the New Ross bypass)

It really won't take much of an improvement on the M8 Carrick-on-Suir route to make it the preferred option......

I know that this is far from ideal - if anything it just shows how much the N24 needs attention quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

blindsider wrote: »
    Google Maps has Cork - Rosslare as 191km (2h41m)via N25, or 211km (2h50m) M8/N76 to Waterford, and then N25- there's a small tailback in Castlemartyr now. (Yous still get the benefit of the New Ross bypass)

It really won't take much of an improvement on the M8 Carrick-on-Suir route to make it the preferred option......

I know that this is far from ideal - if anything it just shows how much the N25 needs attention quickly!
    M8/N24 to Waterford, surely?

• Advertisement

M8/N24 to Waterford, surely?

M8/N24 is correct

In the NDP the entire N24 east of the M8 is to be dualled so presumably Cork-Waterford traffic will start using that route unless they have fondness for staring at brake lights in Castlemartyr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well spotted Hawk Eye :)

Edited.

marno21 wrote: »
    M8/N24 is correct

In the NDP the entire N24 east of the M8 is to be dualled so presumably Cork-Waterford traffic will start using that route unless they have fondness for staring at brake lights in Castlemartyr

144km on M8/N24 as it stands versus 124km on the N25 from Cork to Waterford (center). Not much in it as it stands, if the N24 was upgraded then I'd be tempted despite the Fermoy toll. Its odd because the M8/N24 route feels like it should be much, much longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

144km on M8/N24 as it stands versus 124km on the N25 from Cork to Waterford (center). Not much in it as it stands, if the N24 was upgraded then I'd be tempted despite the Fermoy toll. Its odd because the M8/N24 route feels like it should be much, much longer.

Indeed the old railway route went much the same way too, you had to go Cork-Mallow-Dungarvan-Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

spacetweek wrote: »
    Indeed the old railway route went much the same way too, you had to go Cork-Mallow-Dungarvan-Waterford.

It didn’t go near as far north following the Blackwater for much of it.

https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/23/east-cork-castlemartyr-relief-road-badly-needed/

A whimper if ever I heard one

A Castlemartyr relief road is a waste of time for two reasons. 1. Sheer volume and 2. It pushes the problem to either Lakeview or Killeagh, or the inevitable roundabouts at either end.

A motorway from Carrigtwohill to Youghal is the only solution here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Lakeview Roundabout is about to be upgraded:
    Cork East Fine Gael TD and Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton, has been advised that work is due to commence shortly on the construction of a slip road at Lakeview Roundabout on the N25 outside Midleton.
    https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/22/investment-in-cork-roads-lakeview-roundabout-slip-road-midleton/

Sounds like another half-measure. Will make it more difficult/dangerous for people cycling through the Lakeview Roundabout too.

Anyone have a link to the Part 8 plan? I never saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Cork,Waterford and Wexford council's need to push to make it an M25 from the JLT in Cork right the entire way to New Ross. Once you hit the Lakeview Roundabout in Midleton the only 2 decent bits of road thereafter are the Youghal Bypass and Waterford Bypass, the toll is worth it.

Lakeview Roundabout is about to be upgraded:

https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/22/investment-in-cork-roads-lakeview-roundabout-slip-road-midleton/

Sounds like another half-measure. Will make it more difficult/dangerous for people cycling through the Lakeview Roundabout too.

Anyone have a link to the Part 8 plan? I never saw it.

As with the bloody railway, anything East of Midleton and West of the Waterford border is neglected. Just look at how Killeagh turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/23/east-cork-castlemartyr-relief-road-badly-needed/

A Castlemartyr relief road is a waste of time for two reasons. 1. Sheer volume and 2. It pushes the problem to either Lakeview or Killeagh, or the inevitable roundabouts at either end.

A relief road was needed 20 years as an interim before a new motorway- ridiculous to be piping up with this proposal now, why wasn’t he pushing for this years ago?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »

A relief road was needed 20 years as an interim before a new motorway- ridiculous to be piping up with this proposal now, why wasn’t he pushing for this years ago?

Typical reactionary bs from politicians. Castlemartyr has long been a traffic black spot but the nearby roads being closed the last few weeks caused some massive delays. The Mogeely road was closed for a few months as well which caused long delays at rush hour.

From today's echo

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Solutions-are-needed-to-Castlemartyrs-traffic-woes-c8cdb772-0387-4fa9-b742-9c8b089b082a-ds

Stanton needs to wake up and realise a full bypass is needed of both Castlemartyr & Killeagh

“A Castlemartyr relief road to alleviate traffic congestion is badly needed,” says David Stanton TD Cork East Fine Gael and Minister of State at the Department of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Just a quick one - is the Mogeely to 2 mile inn road still closed?

You'd notice the increase in traffic through Castlemartyr without it.

FGR wrote: »
    Just a quick one - is the Mogeely to 2 mile inn road still closed?

You'd notice the increase in traffic through Castlemartyr without it.

No, reopened a few weeks ago.

Nothing below motorway standard is of use here. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Nothing below motorway standard is of use here. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Spot on. All this will do is push the problem onto Killeagh. Separately the Youghal Bypass was closed Westbound yesterday morning when i was in the area from 10-11.30. The Lakeview Roundabout works are looking messy at the minute, hopefully it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Huge delays yesterday evening on my way home to Youghal, however for a change it was the other side.
    Approaching Lakeview Roundabout from Castlemartyr due to the roadworks. Any idea how long these are due to take?
    Still long enough delays into Castlemartyr in the evenings even with the Mogeely Road back open

Valyawl wrote: »
    Huge delays yesterday evening on my way home to Youghal, however for a change it was the other side.
    Approaching Lakeview Roundabout from Castlemartyr due to the roadworks. Any idea how long these are due to take?
    Still long enough delays into Castlemartyr in the evenings even with the Mogeely Road back open

They only starting setting up those road works when i was on the way down yeterday at 09.45/10.00, quite late i thought, no idea how long it'll last though. there's a spike in road works across the city at the moment i'm noticing.

• Advertisement

Trying to get it all in before the schools go back, I'd reckon.

Edit: I love the way that pic above is a stock image of a road which isn't even in Ireland

Advertisement