Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lmk123

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But it won't solve the problem better than doubling the size and staff of UHL. It looks good because "now we have 2 hospitals not 1" but it's not the reality.

Ennis and Nenagh is different because that's a geographical issue.

And when you say there used to be 3. Hospitals used to do a lot less back then and you didn't have all the various pathways behind the A&E triage and assessment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

saw that in the paper the other day thought it was a terrible idea outside of the crass element of using AJ name the get a few headline or votes

There was a thread elsewhere on this forum where someone explained the tiering system of hospitals and why re-opening Johns ,Ennis ED etc doesn't actually solve the problem only make it worse ,it was quiet informative even if I didn't agree with everthing in the thread re the work force etc….the thing is, if they did buy this ,which I think i did see another headline stating it was been looked at ,they would have to man it with Dr's ,Nurse's etc and other departmental staff and equipment which isn't in great supply(staff) and it would be pretty much doubling the workforce for not much gain or public benefit, so putting a patient into a ambulance to get them to the main hospital afterwards is just unnecessary steps in a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Something else I've noticed since the plethora of posters went up over the past 36 hours (or maybe earlier) is that only those for B Leddin, C ní Catháin, D Butler, D Ryan and M Quinlivan seem to indicate that they are standing for the mayoralty.

B Leddin's posters state "for Mayor" in large font whilst only some of D Butler's do, the other three candidates' posters seem to have the word "Mayor" in much smaller font.

E O'Donovan just has her mugshot and a "1": it is not immediately obvious what post she is running for.

There is similar (perhaps unforeseen) ambiguity with other posters on the north side, including with those posters erected on behalf of those running for a Council seat and the European elections.

I think that this is going to add to the confusion, perhaps apathy too.

It's probably of little interest to the rest of the island but there probably needs to be a televised debate to help inform the electorate of Limerick City and Co. Limerick.

I imagine that we'll have some sort of explanatory Council literature dropped through our letter flaps in the meantime. I am out and about a lot and nobody seems to bring the mayoral election up in conversation so I am guessing that there is no real enthusiasm out there. I myself, am curious but not excited: more worried that the person elected will not be up to the task.

Are we going to hear comments like "the campaign never really took off" and "the public were confused" in four weeks' time?

At this rate, probably, yes.

It's hearsay but I've been told that D Ryan (in addition to passing unflattering comments about her party leader in the not so distant past) passed some uncomplimentary remarks about Council staff in a café at the Crescent SC while she was on walkabout with her party leader.

My source who works in the Council told me that she should have realised that mid-morning, there is a high probability that Council staff will be well within earshot at any of the cafe's in the SC as they have a large office building next door. Ah well!

More hearsay from the same source but it would also appear that far-right individuals have been defacing SF posters in Moyross over the past two nights.

I am not anti-democratic but I think that some sort of eligibility criteria should have been stipulated and I think that political parties should have been excluded from running candidates.

As we all know, any narcissist can run for the Dáil or Stormont, get elected and pontificate without ever taking executive power but this job requires competence.

As of now, out of the fourteen, I can only rate two positively!

Feel free to comment critically!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No political parties is utterly stupid. How is anyone but the rich supposed to fund a campaign.

I haven't seen many posters in Moyross never mind defaced ones. You had the right word with "hearsay" I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

I would think some posters are recycled from previous elections hence no mention of Mayor on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Plus the sitting councillors are going in both the local and mayoral elections. They want to keep their council seats if the don't win the Mayoralty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah some weird obsevations /hearsay there no political parties would be daft , but I do welcome having some stronger independent candidates that are interested even if they are somewhat politically alligned.

Hadn't noticed many poster in Moyross either never mind defaced ones , and odd that a passing conversation gets picked up on an unfavorable comments ,how convenient, I reckon a bit of dirt politics at play maybe.

What I have noticed is it leaves some candidates with an odd predicament on their posters as CM says, they don't want to lose there council seat ,but need to try and get a vote for mayor as well , to me none of them seem to have mastered that poster yet, from what I've seen.

Haven't seen any posters for at least 2/3 candidates myself , northside, E'od and Ho'd and John Moran I'm sure they are about. Moran though has been noticable from an online /papers perspective at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

It seems Moran was quite early out of the blocks. Other candidates are becoming more visible in the last 2 weeks I find. It might have given him an early advantage but not sure if it will be enough in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 whatdastory

Seems der is a public debate at least. Just registered

https://limerickchamber.ie/limerick-mayoral-debate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This thought crossed my mind also. I'd think they would advertise the fact a bit more and make them look like environmentally friendly candidates though

Still waiting for Count Binface or Lord Buckethead to announce their candidacy. This will be the most disappointing fact for me if they don't

Advertisement