Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭adaminho

So we our first victim candidate!
    http://restory.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

adaminho wrote: »
    So we our first victim candidate!
    http://restory.ie/

He already renamed
    Thomondgate to Thomond Gate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This will be really interesting, our first pandemic poll should really show how the public feel about the current govt parties

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭topcat72

My one hope for the mayoral election is that we get a wide range ( at least 4-5 candidates) and not only party hacks ( of any political presuasion )- I'd like to see people from a wider range of background - people with commercial/ business experience - people with a planning / development background, or a wider culture/arts/ development background. What I fear is that we will ONLY get leftover failed local council candidates ( not that all those are bad) but i think it's a job that needs a wider vision if it's to mean anything.

topcat72 wrote: »
    My one hope for the mayoral election is that we get a wide range ( at least 4-5 candidates) and not only party hacks ( of any political presuasion )- I'd like to see people from a wider range of background - people with commercial/ business experience - people with a planning / development background, or a wider culture/arts/ development background. What I fear is that we will ONLY get leftover failed local council candidates ( not that all those are bad) but i think it's a job that needs a wider vision if it's to mean anything.

I'd like to see a joke candidate, something like a Limerick version of The Pub Landlord, Count Binface or Lord Buckethead... I wouldn't vote for them but I'd love to see it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd like to see a joke candidate, something like a Limerick version of The Pub Landlord, Count Binface or Lord Buckethead... I wouldn't vote for them but I'd love to see it happen

Willie O’Dea?

Willie O’Dea?

I know where you're coming from but despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary he is in fact a real politician! I can see how you might be confused though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Will be interesting to see who ends up running for this.

Will we get some genuinely worthwhile candidates with a bit of vision and a track record of getting things done, or just the same random chancers and current councillors you wouldn't trust to walk your dog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The legislation for this has finally been agreed by the Cabinet. The election will take place on the same day as the local and European elections next year.

The Mayor will take on executive functions, at a strategic or policy level, in areas including:

• Strategic Development, i.e. proposing the development plan for the City and County and driving the economic and spatial development of Limerick;
    • Housing and building, e.g. developing a housing strategy for Limerick and ensuring its delivery;
    • Road Transport and Safety, i.e. road maintenance and improvement, and traffic management; and
    • Environmental services, i.e. the services that help to protect and enhance the environment in Limerick.

New structures and functions for the mayor will include:

• a Limerick Mayoral and Government Consultative Forum to facilitate engagement between the mayor and national government.
    • a Mayoral Programme which sets out their vision and objectives for their term and setting up a Limerick Mayoral Advisory and Implementation Committee to support that Programme.
    • a Limerick Project Ireland 2040 Delivery Board to focus on implementing the National Planning Framework and the National Development Plan in the Limerick area, chaired by the mayor.
    • a Limerick Delivery Board Transport Sub-Group, with a focus on transport infrastructure and services, also chaired by the mayor.

Only took them 4 years to legislate, and 5 to get the vote in... Is this progress?

• Advertisement

Ask about progress when we have Dillie O’Wea or John Kiely running the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well as long as it's not John Moran or one of his sidekicks I think I'll be happy

When asked last week he didn’t rule himself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

Genuine question… why not Moran ?

He would be perfect for the role, you couldn’t find a candidate more suited to the role taking into account his varied career.

A former CEO of one of the world’s largest Banks, Secretary General of the Dept of Finance and chairman of the LDA to name just a few of the positions he has held and a very likeable guy.

i would much prefer to see a genuine qualified candidate like Moran over the likes of Willie O Dea or some other pinhead local politician.

I’ve heard that John Kiely has been approached by a number of political parties but he has other concerns like getting us over the line to be the first hurling team to do 5 in a row !!!

….and most importantly Moran’s a proud LIMERICK MAN

Post edited by moby2101 on

Genuine question… why not Moran ?

Without going in to too much detail.

His and the LDA inability to get moving on developing homes on lands in their possession since 2019. Nepotism (something that possibly could be labelled at a lot of potential candidates). I think he is also involved in the company that operates the Toll/Tunnel and decisions he makes as mayor could influence traffic being routed through the tunnel.

i would much prefer to see a genuine qualified candidate like Moran over the likes of Willie O Dea or some other pinhead local politician.

I wouldn't be in favour of any our current TD getting a look in at the DEM, I'm not sure I'd go with any of our councillors either.

a proud LIMERICK MAN

There are 1,000s of proud Limerick men (and women too) that I wouldn't want as the DEM

Fair enough points.

The LDA was set up in 2019 as you mentioned, it had no real authority or power until 2021.

Moran was basically brought on board to establish the agency from the ground up, no mean feat considering the **** show that existed due to local government and local authorities run by county and city managers

i don’t know if you’re objecting to the DEM process or not, do you think that City and County managers are capable of carrying out their remits?

Youre not in favour of any our current crop of democratically elected TD’s or councillors engaging with the role either( I agree wholeheartedly with you on that by the way)

Im not aware of Morans link to direct route , I will check on that.

Im still not seeing a good enough reason to exclude possibility one of the strongest “candidates “ ( he hasn’t declared an interest by the way) . I genuinely think we would be lucky to have someone with his CV in the role.

I'm in favour of the DEM, I think the DEM has a huge role to play in the development of our county and city, my fear is that the DEM will be a city focussed person (esp if it's someone like Moran) which could be to the detriment of the county.

it had no real authority or power until 2021.

What have they done since they got power?

would be lucky to have someone with his CV in the role

His CV is impressive but I still wouldn't be voting for him in fact I'd be encouraging people not to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I think there will need to be a huge campaign around the powers of the new DEM. Because it’s been passed around between the parties on an agreement basis to date, people like myself don’t know exactly what the mayor can and cannot do. My fear is that a populist candidate(probably from the world of sport) will be put forward and win because people simply don’t appreciate the work and powers which the role entails.

Again, you would encourage people not to vote for him!??

Theres some other agenda here .

Covid , 2 years of a pandemic MAY have had something to do with the LDA not having an impact in their mandate.

No agenda, I'm a joe public with no ties to any political party but I see with my own eyes what I see and I wouldn't want him to be a DEM. While I'd say I say I'd be encouraging other people not to vote to vote for him, I wouldn't be running a campaign against him but I would have that conversation with people if we were chatting about a DEM.

I worked right throughout the pandemic, the company I worked for continued to do it's business with conference/zoom calls, after an initial shaky start as people got used to/set up for working from home we kept our metrics up. Lot's of other businesses worked throughout the pandemic. We have a housing crisis, blaming the pandemic for the lack of progress is just an excuse.

Theres some other agenda here .

Why do you think I have an agenda but you don't when declaring "you couldn’t find a candidate more suited to the role"

This is a discussion forum, people can have a difference of opinion without being charged with having an agenda. I replied in good faith I don't need that sort of charge being made against me.

• Advertisement

This is a discussion forum, people can have a difference of opinion without being charged with having an agenda. I replied in good faith I don't need that sort of charge being made against me

whoa there!!

There was NO Mention of of Mr Moran on this discussion until you brought him up.

I ALSO replied to the discussion in good faith, I certainly didn’t make any “charges “ against you either.

I asked a genuine question about why out of the blue you singled out this person to critique and later on in your posts you said you would actively encourage people not to vote for him !

I made a couple of comments to illustrate why I , I ( ie me) would certainly vote for him and why I think hes an excellent candidate if he decides to run.

if you think I have slighted you in any way that was not my intention, i was simply engaging in a discussion where you have not put forward any cogent arguments,

Enough said on the matter as far as Im concerned.

Yes, I mentioned him and when you asked why, I told you. Then you came along with your "there's some other agenda here" as if my replies were lies or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Should have another option of "why bother". I'm not just talking about limerick.

Jobs for the boys/girls/whoever. Outdated like the seanad.

Please explain to me how a DEM, a position which has never before existed in the country, is outdated like the Seanad.

I'm not a fan of Moran either. I think he's full of hot air. It was quite obvious from the off that the Colbert Station plan was a lot of rubbish that would never come to fruition. The LDA recently said nothing would begin before the 2030s.

They both are pointless.

Edit: I meant a mayor in general.

Edit2: Seanad is hardly democratic.

Do you understand what a directly elected mayor is? We, the people, will vote for them. So it will be democratic.

They can be removed from office for not performing their duties.

They will have executive powers as listed in one of my previous posts. It's nothing at all like the Seanad.

I most certainly do and I still think they're pointless directly appointed or not.

They'll have no elective powers. Where on earth are you getting from. More bureaucracy. They'll make decisions? No they won't. Get rid of them altogether.

• Advertisement

Advertisement