Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Will we still have two mayor's who get selected because it's their turn and paid 50k each rather than one elected mayor whose paid 130k?

Did they not just abolish the city mayoral position that had 800 years of history and many deaths/murders of serving city mayors ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Counting is now underway for this. The result should be known this afternoon, but word is that it will fail to pass.

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1132976922638639105

Nothing confirmed yet, but there looks to be more piles on the Yes side than the No side. 38 v 35.

https://twitter.com/raleighreports/status/1132977778297638912

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Confirmed now , Yes vote has the majority .

And it's official. Limerick narrowly votes for a directly elected mayor. Yes 52.4% No 47.6%

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1132987234448232448

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Turned out to be a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Where does this leave Limerick now that we are the only ones to have voted this in?

I wonder will there be a proper synopsis of what will happen and when.

dave 27 wrote: »
    Where does this leave Limerick now that we are the only ones to have voted this in?

I wonder will there be a proper synopsis of what will happen and when.

This was in the Journal

It was announced before Friday’s plebiscites that although the votes aren’t binding, if the proposal was accepted by a majority of voters in a council area, the Minister for Housing would submit a report to the Oireachtas with proposals for the mayoral elections.

So I assume the minister now submits these proposals and we get an election in 2021.

It's also worth noting that even though Cork and Waterford rejected the proposals, the government can still press ahead with a mayor for all three or even scrap the project completely instead of going with Limerick on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Watch Limerick get shafted here...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Will we still have two mayor's who get selected because it's their turn and paid 50k each rather than one elected mayor whose paid 130k?

Well that's his version of events and it's quite the story he came up with too.

He does have a family member who is a rough sort. Known to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is there a breakdown of the vote, what areas voted for or against it.

My feeling from discussions with family and work colleagues is that county Limerick see this role as a bad idea for the county as the city will get the main focus.

I think the government did a piss poor job in trying to convince the electorate to vote for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phog wrote: »
    Is there a breakdown of the vote, what areas voted for or against it.

My feeling from discussions with family and work colleagues is that county Limerick see this role as a bad idea for the county as the city will get the main focus.

I think the government did a piss poor job in trying to convince the electorate to vote for it

What baffles me is why people voted against it and in such large numbers. It's as if they don't trust themselves with the responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I voted against it. My issue is that I don't think the calibre of candidates will be good enough for a €130k position that in a private company would be at senior leadership level.

We'll get political parties nominating one of their councillors and maybe some Limerick "celebs" with inflated egos. I doubt we'll get heavy hitters from the business world.

I do know of people in Limerick that have the skills and experience and would really drive the council on but don't think they would put themselves forward and they don't have the brand recognition among the people of Limerick to probably be successful in getting elected.

I voted against it. My issue is that I don't think the calibre of candidates will be good enough for a €130k position that in a private company would be at senior leadership level.

We'll get political parties nominating one of their councillors and maybe some Limerick "celebs" with inflated egos. I doubt we'll get heavy hitters from the business world.

I do know of people in Limerick that have the skills and experience and would really drive the council on but don't think they would put themselves forward and they don't have the brand recognition among the people of Limerick to probably be successful in getting elected.

If anything I think that 130K is not enough. Perhaps you don't think there is someone of the right calibre that would run but the yes vote does allow that circumstance to occur. At least there is accountability and more direct democracy which I can only think is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are we going to get the same local yokels running for this, or is it enough to tempt people from outside the city/county/region to run for mayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

osarusan wrote:
    Are we going to get the same local yokels running for this, or is it enough to tempt people from outside the city/county/region to run for mayor?

Richard Lynch, Celia Holman Lee and Paul O'Connell. The horror, the horror...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

This is shocking, and an absolute joke. No wonder the country is f*cked. That much for overseeing a small city/large town???

• Advertisement

grenadino wrote: »
    This is shocking, and an absolute joke. No wonder the country is f*cked. That much for overseeing a small city/large town???

130K after tax if you have a wife that is not working and a few kids doesn't amount to a huge income. It's gross not net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

grenadino wrote: »

130K after tax if you have a wife that is not working and a few kids doesn't amount to a huge income. It's gross not net.

Especially if you are looking for a high calibre executive with 20/30 years experience working at a high level in professional environments. You are thinking along the lines of a CEO of a multi-million business. A person with a track record of implementing a strategic vision across a large organisation and being able to get everybody rowing in the right direction.

IMO the salary isn't attractive which means whoever does it will need to do it for a bigger reason than money. This same person could earn 250k plus in alternative private sector roles. This should be the way with public service roles as it puts the emphasis in the right place. We seem to have never understood that civil service is about more than personal enrichment in this country, but thats a whole other conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

As the old adage goes pay peanuts, get monkeys. I'd be happy if my tax euros were spent on a directly elected mayor if it meant increased investment in my locality. A directly elected mayor has a lot more to lose than a chief executive. Don't deliver, don't get in next time. The chief exec doesn't have that worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

grenadino wrote:

I think the job definition encompasses more than just being an administrator. The office holder will be solely responsible for devising and implementing strategy for the city for at least a five year term so this person should possess a broad vision, original ideas (good one's), initiative, determination and should be free from political baggage. These are attributes not usually identifiable in your run of the mill county manager. So, if by some miracle, such a candidate were to materialise he or she would be worth their weight in gold. I think 400k per annum would be an appropriate stipend in their instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Especially if you are looking for a high calibre executive with 20/30 years experience working at a high level in professional environments. You are thinking along the lines of a CEO of a multi-million business. A person with a track record of implementing a strategic vision across a large organisation and being able to get everybody rowing in the right direction.

IMO the salary isn't attractive which means whoever does it will need to do it for a bigger reason than money. This same person could earn 250k plus in alternative private sector roles. This should be the way with public service roles as it puts the emphasis in the right place. We seem to have never understood that civil service is about more than personal enrichment in this country, but thats a whole other conversation.

Ideally this is how it would work, but where are we going to find people willing to forego personal enrichment for the good of the city/country/etc?

Not too many people who have earning potential of 250K plus will be all that interested in a role that pays 130k.

I suppose we only need one such qualified person to be interested.

My concern is that we end up with somebody who isn't qualified at all, we end up with a populist spoofer.

Seriously laughing at the figures being thrown around in this thread.

It's a small city for heavens sake. Many prime ministers and presidents are on less than 250k around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You're Gas craic....;). €130k net for delegating to another two bullsh!tters (scapegoats) who are making €80k. Who would'nt go for it ? And why do we have to elect somebody who is married with a few children ???

Anybody who thinks that we will be voting for somebody with a Business Masters Degree, and a decent track record in the private sector, is totally deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

What baffles me is why people voted against it and in such large numbers. It's as if they don't trust themselves with the responsibility.

The electorate probably won't have any say in who's nominated. We could end up with choices like Dana, Peter Casey, etc and as I've previously said there's a view out there that a DEM could be bad for the county - hence why I asked was there a breakdown on the count.

There's also a view out there that we'll end up paying a CEO and a DEM similar money for doing a very similar job.

The government did a very poor job in selling this.

The electorate probably won't have any say in who's nominated. We could end up with choices like Dana, Peter Casey, etc and as I've previously said there's a view out there that a DEM could be bad for the county - hence why I asked was there a breakdown on the count.

There's also a view out there that we'll end up paying a CEO and a DEM similar money for doing a very similar job.

Surely there must be an entry point for any candidate to run for the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone who can get 250 signatures from the electorate can run so basically anyone interested who is wanted can be nominated by the electorate very easily.

Advertisement