Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Android phone for €200

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Xperia XA2 I mentioned is 142mm. My mam was specifically looking for something a little bit smaller at a budget price point.

I used to have the Z3 Compact then the Z5 Compact. I believe Sony have another Compact model at the moment but it's in the €400 range I believe. Phones these days make the regular Z3 and Z5 look small.

the day of the 140mm phone is over - people simply aren't buying them.

the Samsung A40 is 144mm due to a high screen to body ratio which is very small by today's standards.

https://www.amazon.es/Samsung-Galaxy-A40-Smartphone-Infinity/dp/B07PQMZ6WV/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=samsung+a40&qid=1566051274&s=gateway&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Are there any decent phones being made any more at a size that fit into your pocket? I miss those.

I've had a OnePlus 3T (152mm long) for 2.5 years and love it but am looking at budget and mid-range phones as I don't really need a flagship level phone any more. I had the Sony Z3C (127mm long) before that loved it too, especially the size.

Is there anything that's shorter than 140mm that isn't like a kids toy any more? I'm looking at the phones in this thread and everything seems to be in the 145-155mm range. Aside from this thread, I've been recommended a Nokia 7.1

Slightly over at 144.4mm but is definitely not big in the pocket. I also hate big phones.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a40-ampp-9642.php

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

glasso wrote: »
    the day of the 140mm phone is over - people simply aren't buying them.

the Samsung A40 is 144mm due to a high screen to body ratio which is very small by today's standards.

https://www.amazon.es/Samsung-Galaxy-A40-Smartphone-Infinity/dp/B07PQMZ6WV/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=samsung+a40&qid=1566051274&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    5.5 inch in english.

People aren't buying because they're not making. Perfect size.

They're fighting over who can go biggest.

Agreed, they're racing to see who has the biggest screen but since the screen to body ratio is much higher these days you fit more screen in the same size body. No need to make phablets, phones are bigger than the early Galaxy Note models and they were massive.

Imagine a HTC One or Xperia Z2 with a better screen ratio than the LG G3.

Considering an awful lot of models now have bigger Plus/Pro models it would be nice to see regular phones go down in size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Agreed, they're racing to see who has the biggest screen but since the screen to body ratio is much higher these days you fit more screen in the same size body. No need to make phablets, phones are bigger than the early Galaxy Note models and they were massive.

Imagine a HTC One or Xperia Z2 with a better screen ratio than the LG G3.

Considering an awful lot of models now have bigger Plus/Pro models it would be nice to see regular phones go down in size.

I remember back in the day, thinking the Galaxy S2 was the perfect size and anything bigger was just ridiculous. We're a long way from those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

Jollyballs wrote: »
    Also looking in around the same budget, how good or bad are all these chinese phones never heard of half of the names mentioned here.

Is there still the same level of accessories, otterbox cover, Screen protectors etc?

Battery life is a big plus any recommendations?

depends have goen through a few different brands think about 8 - 9 i have to say the cubots seem to stand out on my experience - budget . thought i buy them with the commitment of only using them for 1 year at a time . The big battery models on all these chinese phones add weight so might not be your cup of tea,
    I usually budget for about 120 and chance running the gauntlet with customs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I bought the Motorola power the other day. Very happy with it and price had lowered slightly on Amazon.... 64gb was badly needed I can now fully control my house again...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Someone recommend a phone with good camera and battery for 200-300?

From reading this thread the mi9 $300 on honor buy would be the winner?

Limpy wrote: »
    Someone recommend a phone with good camera and battery for 200-300?

From reading this thread the mi9 $300 on honor buy would be the winner?

mi 9t yes is a good combo of camera and battery life (and decent cpu and build quality).

honor buy (1 to 3 days delivery) or eglobal if you are prepared to wait longer (10 to 12 days) for cheaper.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    mi 9t yes is a good combo of camera and battery life (and decent cpu and build quality).

honor buy (1 to 3 days delivery) or eglobal if you are prepared to wait longer (10 to 12 days) for cheaper.

Are eglobal reputable? And is the phone safe from customs?

Limpy wrote: »
    Are eglobal reputable? And is the phone safe from customs?

They ship from an EU warehouse, no issues with shipping times or customs. My mam's phone arrived in less than a week.

I believe the phones are grey market, bought from lower cost territories and sold here. I'm not 100% sure if the warranties would be valid this side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

The warranty is direct with eGlobal, there is no manufacturer warranty for their goods afaik.

biebiebie wrote: »
    The warranty is direct with eGlobal, there is no manufacturer warranty for their goods afaik.

I went for the Redmi Note 7. 128gb memory. Hopefully the camera will be better then the Sony XA1 I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    Just wanted to ask some advice please.
    I'm looking for an android phone for €200, with excellent battery life,
    at least 64GB storage, and superior sound quality/clarity
    listening to podcasts and music on Spotify.
    Not bothered about the camera technology.
    Wouldn't mind if it's the latest operating system.
    I know with wi-fi on, all batteries run dow quickly, and I can download songs for offline with Wi-fi switched off.
    I would however like a battery that doesn't waste after an hour after a couple months using the phone.
    I'm partial to Sony phones but I'm not sure any Sony phones would fit satisfy all of the above,
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Honor 8x

It's a Huawei brand but it's a ridiculous phone for the money

Advertisement