Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Android phone for €200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Well now I'm at ta getting the Mi a2 lite, its early days but I'm already impressed with the storage for podcasts and music on spotify,
    The sound quality is excellent pretty much the same as my Samsung tablet which has excellent sound.
    Camera is grand, wasnt looking for much there anyway.
    Battery saver option is good, switched off notifications from apps for longer battery life.
    Trying to tether my phones wifi from the mi lite to my tablet, easy enough, didn't like that I had to switch on my bluetooth as well to do it, as it might eat up more battery, sure theres a more straightforward way, I'll check that out.
    Battery life is superb.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Just an update there had the tethering hotspot with mobile broadband and bluetooth connecting it to the tablet,
    and the battery didnt go down that much, also the signal quality for speaking on the phone is crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Where did you buy it from?

jgbyr wrote: »
    Where did you buy it from?
    Amazon.co.uk SKARK UK, that must be the company I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Trying to tether my phones wifi from the mi lite to my tablet, easy enough, didn't like that I had to switch on my bluetooth as well to do it, as it might eat up more battery, sure theres a more straightforward way, I'll check that out.
    Battery life is superb.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

You shouldn't need Bluetooth on as well to use wifi tethering. Although leaving Bluetooth on constantly won't drain your battery either, especially if it's not in use.

there is actually a bit of a bug with the a2 lite in that if you have bluetooth on the wifi speed/connection quality is reduced.

test it out and you should notice it

only real fault with it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 boobazingaboo

Anyone know the best phone camera under 300?

Anyone know the best phone camera under 300?

Mi 9 se

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-9-se

Or Spend a bit more for the pixel 3a

mi 9 se here for 300 euro just about. delivery through europe in a few days so no customs. long-established site well-regarded on this forum

https://www.honorbuy.com/1647-xiaomi-mi-9-se-6gb-64gb-global-version-smartphone-blue.html#/option-global_version_664gb_blue

3 cameras - main 48mp, wide angle, zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 12 boobazingaboo

glasso wrote: »
    mi 9 se here for 300 euro just about. delivery through europe in a few days so no customs. long-established site well-regarded on this forum

thank you, any warranty with that site?

thank you, any warranty with that site?

1 year. very few production problems with modern smartphones and no known big issues with that phone so you should be alright.

nice phone - good cpu, AMOLED screen. good camera. best value mid-range phone out there imo at the moment.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    You shouldn't need Bluetooth on as well to use wifi tethering. Although leaving Bluetooth on constantly won't drain your battery either, especially if it's not in use.
    Yeh just found out there don't need Bluetooth on just hotspot for tethering.

Hmmm, just found out when trying to use my mi a2 lite phone as a wifi hotspot for my Samsung tablet it can be tenous if behind a couch, and I have to move it close in line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

https://www.honorbuy.com/1647-xiaomi-mi-9-se-6gb-64gb-global-version-smartphone-blue.html#/option-global_version_664gb_blue

Pity the battery isn't 4000mah, how you finding the battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

John Lewis UK has the Xiaomi Mi 8 for £200.

Saw a comment on HUKD about no NI shipping(no idea if true) so AddressPal possibly or maybe they might not ship there, but sure is a good deal for around the 200e mark

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any recommendations for a phone in the 200-300 price bracket that I can buy in store?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a phone in the 200-300 price bracket that I can buy in store?

not really. value so much better online.

this is very good for the money €280 if you're willing to take the big online plunge.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-64gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-carbon-black-1.html

amoled screen, decent cameras (incl a wide angle and zoom camera), strong cpu, 6gb ram, 64gb storage, no notch on front. in-screen fingerprint reader.

allow 10 to 12 days delivery. no customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

not really. value so much better online.

this is very good for the money €280 if you're willing to take the big online plunge.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-64gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-carbon-black-1.html

amoled screen, decent cameras (incl a wide angle and zoom camera), strong cpu, 6gb ram, 64gb storage, no notch on front. in-screen fingerprint reader.

allow 10 to 12 days delivery. no customs.
    Or 6 weeks.i just waited 6 weeks for a mi 9 from these.shocking customer care as won't answer emails.would only answer when I got PayPal involved.avoid avoid avoid.honorbuy are 100% better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Anyone ever heard of the Cubot?

Seems the speaker and casing aren't great but the rest of the specs look good for the price?

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/cubot-power-blue-5.99-128gb-4g-dual-sim-unlocked-sim-free-cub-pow-blue/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anyone ever heard of the Cubot?

Seems the speaker and casing aren't great but the rest of the specs look good for the price?

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/cubot-power-blue-5.99-128gb-4g-dual-sim-unlocked-sim-free-cub-pow-blue/version.asp

Specs are ok. Not many reviews. I'd rather get something like this

[url]Https://www.honorbuy.com/1538-xiaomi-redmi-note-6-pro-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html[/url]

Thanks for your reply.

The hard drive is smaller and the battery is smaller, which is what brought me to the Cubot in the first place.

Is it the better known reputation of the xiaomi that's the deciding factor for you?

I don't know much about the processors and band receptors, I could be missing something completely obvious there.

• Advertisement

I'm going to heed your advice on the cubot. It had to be too good to be true.

Am I just finding every scam on the internet today?

€195 for redmi 7 128gb .....
    https://www.amazon.de/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Neptune-128gb-Blue/dp/B07PGVWHYZ?th=1&psc=1

massy086 wrote: »
    Or 6 weeks.i just waited 6 weeks for a mi 9 from these.shocking customer care as won't answer emails.would only answer when I got PayPal involved.avoid avoid avoid.honorbuy are 100% better

have ordered 4/5 items off them. all delivered in 10/12 days.
    don't doubt that there are delays sometimes.
    if honorbuy is not that much more expensive worth going for quicker delivery alright

I'm going to heed your advice on the cubot. It had to be too good to be true.

Am I just finding every scam on the internet today?

€195 for redmi 7 128gb .....
    https://www.amazon.de/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Neptune-128gb-Blue/dp/B07PGVWHYZ?th=1&psc=1

I got this yesterday. Delighted with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

massy086 wrote: »
    agreed... dealt with them twice, first all was fine (well... slow delivery), second time both phones bought were duds. Nightmare on the refund, may as well have been talking to a wall. They would contradict themselves too and just blank it when called on it. Eventually used credit card charge back. Also 6 weeks delivery time here too... Not worth the saving for when it goes wrong... and for 2 phones to fail in one go delivery...

Anyway the miA1 i bought first time around is on its last legs... I'll start looking through current recomendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looking at the Galaxy A50 for my mam at €250 on eGlobal. Have to say the midrange market is a lot better these days. I remember a few years ago HTC started making cheap plastic things like the Desire 520, a far cry from their wonderful HTC One M7. Nowadays the midrange phones are just as nice as the high end ones and have good all round specs.

I'm also happy to see useful triple camera setups these days. These black and white cameras cater to very few people, but the wide angle and zoom lenses make them more versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

So is everyone happy enough with Honorbuy? Whats the delivery time like?

Going to likely pick up the Mi9t for myself although still tempted by the miA3. Feel like im comparing apples and oranges but how much bloatware would be on the miui10? (really liked my stock android and not a gamer to put pressure on the phone)

Also need something for an elder family member (possibly 2). Doesnt need to be top of the range and preferably nearer 5.5 inch... Thinking the redMi 7 (pushing towards a larger size 6.2").
    Is there any good Android One options? The MiA3 is probably more than needed and A2 out of stock.

The new Samsung A50 seems to be a good phone for €250. Multiple cameras with wide angle, big screen, big battery, decent all rounder it seems.

Also the Xperia XA2 is €200 and that has good spec, came out last year but good spec on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The new Samsung A50 seems to be a good phone for €250. Multiple cameras with wide angle, big screen, big battery, decent all rounder it seems.

Also the Xperia XA2 is €200 and that has good spec, came out last year but good spec on it.

Where is the A50 €250?

Where is the A50 €250?

eGlobal Central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are there any decent phones being made any more at a size that fit into your pocket? I miss those.

I've had a OnePlus 3T (152mm long) for 2.5 years and love it but am looking at budget and mid-range phones as I don't really need a flagship level phone any more. I had the Sony Z3C (127mm long) before that loved it too, especially the size.

Is there anything that's shorter than 140mm that isn't like a kids toy any more? I'm looking at the phones in this thread and everything seems to be in the 145-155mm range. Aside from this thread, I've been recommended a Nokia 7.1

Advertisement