Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Android phone for €200

Options
  • 24-05-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi everybody,
    Just wanted to ask some advice please.
    I'm looking for an android phone for €200, with excellent battery life,
    at least 64GB storage, and superior sound quality/clarity
    listening to podcasts and music on Spotify.
    Not bothered about the camera technology.
    Wouldn't mind if it's the latest operating system.
    I know with wi-fi on, all batteries run dow quickly, and I can download songs for offline with Wi-fi switched off.
    I would however like a battery that doesn't waste after an hour after a couple months using the phone.
    I'm partial to Sony phones but I'm not sure any Sony phones would fit satisfy all of the above,
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html

highly recommend this phone,great battery,latest Android version,only thing lacking is a brilliant camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

chrisire wrote: »
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html

highly recommend this phone,great battery,latest Android version,only thing lacking is a brilliant camera.

Thanks I'll have a look now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I'd also look at the Mi A2 or redmi note 7 both around 200euro. I'd spend the extra over the lite version

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

tedpan wrote: »
    I'd also look at the Mi A2 or redmi note 7 both around 200euro. I'd spend the extra over the lite version

The battery is better on the lite version

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    Why would that be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Why would that be now?

Better screen, camera.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

GBX wrote:
    Better screen, camera.

Processor and storage too

GBX wrote: »
    Better screen, camera.
    Oh sound for music and podcasts superior? Yeh grand I see you were saying the battery is better there, that's a big plus, not bothered about quality of camera, I'll have a read over that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

OP, I've had the Redmi Note 7 for a couple of weeks now. Got it for just shy of €200 on Amazon Spain. 64Gb storage, 4Gb RAM. My priorities were battery life and a good screen. It has delivered in spades on both fronts.

I have my Redmi with WiFi and Bluetooth (connected to smart watch) on all day, and with light use I'll end the day on around 70% battery. With more regular checking various apps, web browsing, bit of YouTube, etc. I'll end the day at around 50%. I'd easily get 2 days out it. I'm not too bothered by the camera either but the camera here does a fine job, no complaints from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

As above the Redmi phones seem to have good reviews.

Redmi 6 for €85
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8677071.htm

Redmi S2 for €110
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8664819.htm

You would have to google the difference and look for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

+1 for the xiaomi mi a2 lite. Excellent phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    +1 for the xiaomi mi a2 lite. Excellent phone for the money.

How would you rate the camera on this. Looking at it as a replacement for herself, but she likes her pics. Reviews seem to be mixed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

jgbyr wrote: »
    How would you rate the camera on this. Looking at it as a replacement for herself, but she likes her pics. Reviews seem to be mixed. Thanks
    If the camera is the most important thing then get an Honor 10 Lite or Moto G6.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That camera is ok - not top spec. But if you want a phone with an amazing camera, you'll have to up the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

GBX wrote: »
    That camera is ok - not top spec. But if you want a phone with an amazing camera, you'll have to up the budget.

I've the redmi note 5 myself & the camera is very good.
    The general specs on Mi A2 Lite are very good for the price though. Plus it has Android One.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

jgbyr wrote: »

Fine in day light but suffers at nighttime. If camera is important then I'd probably look at one of the new Samsung mid-range phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If a camera is on the list the Galaxy A7 2018 can be had around €220 on Amazon.de. Dual camera setup with a wide angle lens on one of them, decent all around phone for the money.

It's €350 in the shops so even if you don't end up getting one it's probably worth saying to friends and family, I know some people aren't keen on Chinese branded phones so they'd still get their old reliable Samsung for a good price. Same with the Sony and Motorola.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I also reccomend the Moto g7. It's on amazon.co.uk for 179£ with free delivery so close enough to your budget. I have it. I previously had Samsung S7 ...don't feel a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I bought my Redmi Note 4 two years ago & it's still excellent. I recommended the Note 5 to a friend & she loves it. My next phone will be another Xiaomi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

closifer wrote: »
    I also reccomend the Moto g7. It's on amazon.co.uk for 179£ with free delivery so close enough to your budget. I have it. I previously had Samsung S7 ...don't feel a massive difference

The G7 Power is 179 that's a slightly lower spec but a huge battery than the regular G7 which is 199. Better camera and screen mainly.

I have the cheaper power myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

Also looking in around the same budget, how good or bad are all these chinese phones never heard of half of the names mentioned here.

Is there still the same level of accessories, otterbox cover, Screen protectors etc?

Battery life is a big plus any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Jollyballs wrote: »
    Also looking in around the same budget, how good or bad are all these chinese phones never heard of half of the names mentioned here.

Is there still the same level of accessories, otterbox cover, Screen protectors etc?

I've a mi a2 lite. Android One, battery lasts around 30 hours with plenty of internet use. Would high recommend. Camera is ok, but not what I bought if for.

Bought some screen protectors and a dux ducis cover, dropped it now upwards of 20 times, not a scratch.

See my post above regarding the Redmi Note 7.

I've never bothered with covers or screen protectors. I do have the supplied cover for the Redmi though as it doesn't take away from the aesthetic of the phone and at least provides some protection.

It's hard to say "in general" as there are so many brands and price points. Huawei are fairly mainstream and reliable. Xiaomi offer a good range at the lower price point but IMO the quality is superb. When you can get a phone as good as (for example) the Redmi Note 7 for €200, I just don't see what the draw of the €800 flagship phones is. No doubt they have better specs, better cameras, and a couple of the latest features (ooooooh fingerprint scanner in screen) if you're into that but I'm perfectly happy with everything I get with the Redmi.

I think if I was into mobile gaming or if I wanted a killer camera, there'd be more of a lure to go for the flagship OnePlus/Samsung/Pixel phones. That doesn't apply to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

Bacchus wrote: »
    See my post above regarding the Redmi Note 7.

I've never bothered with covers or screen protectors. I do have the supplied cover for the Redmi though as it doesn't take away from the aesthetic of the phone and at least provides some protection.

It's hard to say "in general" as there are so many brands and price points. Huawei are fairly mainstream and reliable. Xiaomi offer a good range at the lower price point but IMO the quality is superb. When you can get a phone as good as (for example) the Redmi Note 7 for €200, I just don't see what the draw of the €800 flagship phones is. No doubt they have better specs, better cameras, and a couple of the latest features (ooooooh fingerprint scanner in screen) if you're into that but I'm perfectly happy with everything I get with the Redmi.

I think if I was into mobile gaming or if I wanted a killer camera, there'd be more of a lure to go for the flagship OnePlus/Samsung/Pixel phones. That doesn't apply to me though.

I did read it, its more the fear of the unknown, not worried about the camera or gaming, battery and durability are key, just always been Samsung. I know thats not to say I should buy only Samsung but it does give me piece of mind that its a well known brand name.

Having looked at the g7/power talked about here, i'll be looking that others too including the Redmi and a2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

From the support side of things alone, the Mi A2 is completely worth it. You can get 2 day delivery from Italy with Honorbuy for €180 at the moment, a bargain. Stock Android One, great display and excellent cameras and a solid battery too.

I did read it, its more the fear of the unknown, not worried about the camera or gaming, battery and durability are key, just always been Samsung. I know thats not to say I should buy only Samsung but it does give me piece of mind that its a well known brand name.

Having looked at the g7/power talked about here, i'll be looking that others too including the Redmi and a2.

You have the answers you're looking for already so if you've read this thread (and the Chinese Android phone thread).

It's up to you to take the leap (or not) and go for the lesser known brand. There is an element of you get what you pay for but I feel the gap between €200 phones and €800+ phones is far closer than the price tags suggest and there is good value in getting a cheaper phone that ticks the boxes that are important to you but won't necessarily have the latest and greatest of everything else. Plus, at a quarter the price of a flagship, you get to spend money elsewhere. The €300 I "saved" not going for phones in the €500-600 range has resulted in me purchasing a nice pair of Creative Air wireless earbuds and a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active.

If you're on fence about a particular phone btw, YouTube reviews are far better at getting a 'feel' of the phone than any written review or recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Guys great info there. I'm in the same market myself and will probably go for the Redmi note 7. Where is the best (cheapest place!) to get one? Thanks in advance

conlof wrote: »
    Guys great info there. I'm in the same market myself and will probably go for the Redmi note 7. Where is the best (cheapest place!) to get one? Thanks in advance

At the time I bought it, Amazon Spain was €197. EGlobal possibly better price but I'd rather go with Amazon.

• Advertisement

Well now I'm at ta getting the Mi a2 lite, its early days but I'm already impressed with the storage for podcasts and music on spotify,
    The sound quality is excellent pretty much the same as my Samsung tablet which has excellent sound.
    Camera is grand, wasnt looking for much there anyway.
    Battery saver option is good, switched off notifications from apps for longer battery life.
    Trying to tether my phones wifi from the mi lite to my tablet, easy enough, didn't like that I had to switch on my bluetooth as well to do it, as it might eat up more battery, sure theres a more straightforward way, I'll check that out.
    Battery life is superb.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Advertisement