Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier - Miniseries - Disney + (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not gonna get into it as I've made my feelings clear after previous episodes, but I found the entire thing massively underwhelming, despite a few odd decent moments.

Liked Wandavision, though it was really solid and interesting, this....not so much. Super cheesy and dumb and while the general storyline was fine in theory, it was handled really poorly.

Finale didn't change my mind, if anything went out with a total whimper for me. It was more like a CW show like Arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Predictable final episode.
    Fun but all a bit obvious and on the nose.
    It all felt very TV at times and not in a good way.
    Sharon's the power broker...yeah we know...Karli will die... yep....Sam will become Captain America with a new flashy suit...yep... his lecture was just meh. Liked seeing Zemo again on the raft.
    Some fun action scenes I will say though, plus loved Julie Louis Dreyfus she really lifted the couple of scenes she was in, looking forward to seeing her in more MCU stuff, Wyatt Russell was also really excellent as was Daniel Bruhl.
    Hard to not see it as a slight disappointment versus wandavision I would maybe give it 7/10 overall.

It isn't the best superhero show episode released today tbh (that would be invincible which is terrific)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A 4th Captain America film is in the works, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Not really sure what I expected from this but it was a pretty underwhelming show I thought, I really couldn't get into it. The whole Karli and the flag smashers just wasn't doing it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Weak. Very weak effort with only a handful of moments across 6 episodes that really entered decent territory.
    One for the scrapheap.....hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I enjoyed it, very good last episode.
    Didn't feel the flag smashers in the show as others have said. But hey every show needs a villain. It's mainly about Sam and Bucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It was an enjoyable last episode and be very interesting to see where now ?

Did anyone else think
    that was an Old Steve Rogers in that car after the bomb went off ?. Obv wasant but for a split second there as hope

So
    All the flag samsghers are dead or captured ?

Seems
    Bucky has forgiven himself and might go back to been a super soldier, maybe he will team up with agent former captain america or whatever he's called now. Wilson is now Captain America and Carter is working with whom

Really looking forward to the Loki series

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

poor poor poor,

karli didn't work

sharon carters story didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It was enjoyable. Underwhelming but overall enjoyable. I wasnt expecting to be blown away by the series but somethings worked and others not so much.

Not a big Mackie fan but I enjoyed his speech and felt he gave his best performace thus far. Capt Walker has been the standout star/breakout star here for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Awful. Really flat and lame ending to what could have been something thought-provoking.

As I feared, Sam went to ridiculous lengths to try and 'save' Karli, someone who showed no remorse for any of the civilian lives she took - and in fact she even tried to add a few more to the list. The fight with Sam and Karli where she screamed 'fight back' and 'hit me' was such a blatant rip-off of Angel, and that character's face-off with Faith. The difference is that Faith had been established on Buffy as a good but troubled girl who lost her way, and who had the capacity for remorse; none of these qualities have been seen in Karli aside from when she was dying. She was one of the most insufferable characters I've ever come across, and they couldn't even kill her off properly. Walker absolutely should have been the one to finish her.

And is it just me that finds it ludicrous that some slight, thin, 5-foot activist can take a super soldier serum and hold her own against an elite, military man who has also taken the serum? Shouldn't the elite soldier be like a super duper soldier? So Greta Thunberg takes the super soldier serum and she would not only be able to hold her own in a fight with an Audie Murphy-type, but would actually get the better of it? GTFO of here.

Some of the lines in these episodes have been bad, but the one that took the cake was:

'Hey, that's Black Falcon.'

'Nah, that's Captain America.'

Cringeworthy. Sam's speech didn't hit the tone at all either. I didn't find it stirring, but rather was left wondering why he was so sympathetic to a woman that clearly would have killed him had Carter not intervened. For me, Karli's actions only served to show that Walker's way was the right one all along. I can't help but feel the writers focused so much on Sam's race to justify him as Captain America to mask the fact that his personality and behaviour just aren't suited to the role at all.

Walker ended up wasted at the end with the US Agent role. I don't know why they turned him in the fight when he was so much more interesting than these dull flag smashers. He should have went full blown mental in the finale if they had planned this right. Carter getting the post-credits scene felt undeserved. I don't sense any great menace from her.

Very frustrating how this wrapped up as there were interesting routes to take but they ultimately took one that was dull, safe and unsatisfating. There was too much focus on characters and arcs that went nowhere, and not enough on ones that had huge potential. The relationship between the two main protagonists feels phony and forced, as does their supposed growth. They could have done something unique and intriguing but they squandered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

I enjoyed it, very good last episode.
    Didn't feel the flag smashers in the show as others have said. But hey every show needs a villain. It's mainly about Sam and Bucky.

Not a slight against you, but every show needs a villain is simply not good enough. The showrunners went with the flagsmashers when they had two potentially interesting show villains in zemo and walker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For me the Sharon Carter scene at the end seems to be a direct link to Armour Wars.

did anyone notice it was the fascist white Walker who asserted that a black life mattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Been thinking about how the character development in the series has caught a lot off guard this is my own opinion and not yet canon but I'll SPOILER it as it spills out in the last episode.
    My theory on Agent 13, Sharon Carter is now a a high rank Skrull which is why she contracted Batroc the Leaper to kill Falcon so he could be replaced by another Skrull

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭nerd69

Some of the fight scenes where cool but that's about it really. Bucky in particular has had his power levels thrown all over the place some change is fine but they seem to varey wildly..

The white privilege speech was cringe as ****

This show started better than wandavision but finished worse. I'm not sure I have high hopes for the next captain america if it's a similar writing/directing crew

Also they seem to have ignored that Steve himself became disalousioned with the stars and stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In all, the show seemed like a few decent ideas around the effects of the snap and people coming back, race politics, and Bucky's guilt and efforts to make amends, but so loosely and weakly held together as to make it a whole lot of nothing.

I liked bits of Sam's relationship with his sister, and time spent with Bucky facing his past, and they handled the Isaiah Bradley stuff pretty well, as a more in-universe, organic examination of historical racial issues, but they needed to either make them the main plot, or have the flagsmashers stuff be not garbage.

The "moral of the story" scene at the end, in front of all the cameras on the street, where Sam dresses down all the senators and assorted bigwigs was criminally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

karli didn't work

sharon carters story didn't work

I like this summation.

also, and I will spoiler,
    The theory that Sharon Carter is a Skrull, is a good one. But why would she be talking about ripping off all the gadgets and secrets .. etc... of shield if she was, shouldn´t have she been telling other skrulls,, "I'm in"... nothing about guns armoury or gadgets..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I like this summation.

also, and I will spoiler,
    The theory that Sharon Carter is a Skrull, is a good one. But why would she be talking about ripping off all the gadgets and secrets .. etc... of shield if she was, shouldn´t have she been telling other skrulls,, "I'm in"... nothing about guns armoury or gadgets..

Yeah I'm not buying that theory. It makes more sense that this leads into Armor Wars where she has a role in the technology being set loose in the world. With her being the Power Broker it would make sense that she now has her old job back that she could get her hands on Stark technology

as far as this series is concerned sharon carter is sharon carter and if the arc doesn't seem believable, you can't look for some future series or comic books to rescue that.

although we have seen skrull and the facemask could be a double bluff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So basically we’ve had two Disney plus mcu tv shows named after the main characters and in both shows one of those characters gained a new name at the end.

Can any Loki fanatics out there tell me if Loki will be getting a new name by the end of his show?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

fluke wrote: »
    Not a slight against you, but every show needs a villain is simply not good enough. The showrunners went with the flagsmashers when they had two potentially interesting show villains in zemo and walker.

True. They should have done better. But if you deep dive into the show Zemo was brought back to set him up for that Raft prison show or at least something else.

Walker is being built up for future Marvel shows/movies. So it's like they just wanted throw away villains. Now they still failed with the flagsmashers. I didn't care about them. But I don't think the showrunners gave them as much focus when writing the show.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thoroughly forgettable series

meh, it is ok if Marvel have a miss... their percentage is good...
    i still like Bucky.... very interesting character...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I liked it. Any series revoling around inequalities is always a good thing.

One big disappointment about Karli in the end was why she didn't try to grass out Sharon. Sam would have listened if she said that Sharon is the Power broker, she's playing both sides for idiots.

I could go into the parallels between the "One World, One People" and the real world "One Island, One Nation" struggle but I'd probably bore you all.

Suffice to say this had a tone not far off Daredevil and The Punisher but not as well executed as those shows.
    Rating 3.9/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

True. They should have done better. But if you deep dive into the show Zemo was brought back to set him up for that Raft prison show or at least something else.

Walker is being built up for future Marvel shows/movies. So it's like they just wanted throw away villains. Now they still failed with the flagsmashers. I didn't care about them. But I don't think the showrunners gave them as much focus when writing the show.

Saw somewhere that they could be setting up the Thunderbolts? Haven't read the comics so not familiar with them but they're a group of antiheros, so you'd have zemo and walker in it, Val would organize it

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Loughc wrote: »
    For me the Sharon Carter scene at the end seems to be a direct link to Armour Wars.

Tony did sign the Sokovia Accords, so that's an easy in for Sharon to exploit.

Advertisement