Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean how she thought going on national radio today and not giving her party the heads up so they'd at least be prepared to react to it if asked doesn't seem to have gone down well with FG.

Also, IF doing what she did today was a good idea, what possessed her to pick Sean O rourke who to me is the best presenter RTÉ have I'll never know. I mean she could have gone on the news at one or any other show and it might not have been any better but it might not have been as bad as it turned out.

She has a PR person......clearly not a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean how she thought going on national radio today and not giving her party the heads up so they'd at least be prepared to react to it if asked doesn't seem to have gone down well with FG.

Also, IF doing what she did today was a good idea, what possessed her to pick Sean O rourke who to me is the best presenter RTÉ have I'll never know. I mean she could have gone on the news at one or any other show and it might not have been any better but it might not have been as bad as it turned out.

She said on a couple of occasions to O'Rourke "You Know me"

Not sure how well they know each other but there seems to be some implied acquaintance going by her comments. SOR's wife is an adviser to a Government Minister. Maybe she was expecting he would go easy on her?

In any case, it didn't really matter what he did or said.

She made an utter mess of the interview from start to finish. O'rourke didn't need to press her.
    Give some people enough rope.....and they'll do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

spurshero wrote: »
    She will never see another dail term . No chance . She Probaly won’t even run . She s knows her time is done deep down

This is an Irish politician we're talking about, of course she's going to run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can I just say sincere thanks to Maria Bailey and fine Gael today. I have been a bit down lately and I can not remember a day in the recent past when I laughed so much.
    It's been a tonic .
    I'm still enjoying the tweets the videos and the radio on this.

You could treat depression with the tale of Maria bailey!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just listening to her again..........definitely intoxicated........she was slurring her words.

She was certainly a bit over emotional for a politician, and it would lead you to suspect that could possibly be the case. A typical politician, and they get a thorough training at likes of Communications Clinic or whatever it’s called.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    This is an Irish politician we're talking about, of course she's going to run again.

She’ll form a new political party by name of The Injured Party :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And she will get a seat. We have very short memories when it comes to the two big parties here sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He can dump her from FG, he can’t get rid of her as a politician as she has been voted in

He can't dump her unless he wants to call a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Apparently the interview this morning was doctored to make her appear sober, I saw the leaked original on soundcloud.

It was live, was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Rjd2 wrote: »
    And she will get a seat. We have very short memories when it comes to the two big parties here sadly.

Lowery in Tipperarey comes to mind, this goul will run again and use the victim card, and she'll probably get in again too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It was live, was it not?

It was live. You can't see something on SoundCloud either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Entitlement tastes comeuppance and dislikes.

:pac:

Glad to hear she's not bowing down to "keyboard warriors" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as its not highly polished she should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Calhoun wrote: »
    This was really well written and gave me a laugh, the ending line is brilliant. Honest to god i don't know why she brought that PR guy because he didnt do his job.

This part floored me, off my swing:

"Maria hurt herself falling off what is now the most famous swing in Ireland, taking her hands off the side ropes to hold a couple of bottles. Her injuries were such that when she decided to “dip her toe” back into exercising by running a 10km race just three weeks later, she ended up posting a shocking finishing time – three-quarters of a minute slower than her effort the previous year."

Ref: Irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

99.9% of the time when someone won't answer a straight question it's because they know the answer will incriminate them ;)

But then, she accidentally answer SOR's question anyway, when she said she was holding a bottle of wine right after saying she was holding a beer............. unless she has three hands of course, in which case, apologies.

I think the "polished wood" remark she made was a bit of an insight into where her legal team would have went come court time too.

She contradicted herself many times of course (especially with regards to her only wanting to recoup medical expenses) but one occasion which I didn't see posted about so far (may have missed it) was when she said she decided to withdraw the case last Tuesday but yet then later in the interview said she withdrew the claim because of the stuff that went on Thursday and Friday.

Can't see her recovering from this, politically speaking, perhaps even personally. She's her own worst enemy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love it when SOR said to her "You did a run 3 weeks later in a fairly decent time"

To which she replied, "not a good time for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I listened to it in bed last night, shaking my head and laughing in regular intervals.

She did herself no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As every minute that went by you could hear the nail in the coffin get deeper and deeper.

No sympathy for here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think the "polished wood" remark she made was a bit of an insight into where her legal team would have went come court time too.

Baffles me where they ever thought they could go with it, this is the same set of swings that every Instagram 'Influencer' from Ireland and the UK has managed to stay on whilst having their photo taken. I mean, given the perceived intelligence of some 'Influencers' - it really doesn't say much for MB. Either that or we underestimate 'Influencers'

And what is the big f*cking deal with having your f*cking photo taken on those f*cking swings anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Love it when SOR said to her "You did a run 3 weeks later in a fairly decent time"

She ran slower the following year. Must have been those horrific injuries she suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

She really needs to step aside as a Fine Gael TD, because although her crime is small, it is also a sign that she has a "compo culture mentality" which is a really bad trait to have.

Either Leo repremands her, and/or she she steps aside for a period of time, say six months to a year, till the dust settles (and she learns a lesson).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

It is not just the big parties. Mick Wallace has misappropriated employee pension contributions. Mick Wallace has misappropriated VAT payments. Mick Wallace is a sitting TD. Mick Wallace is on the verge of becoming an MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Leo needs to get rid of her quickly- this is a virus. More and more are looking at her father who has a very dark history with donations from developers. Madigan will also have to go to ground until this is sorted. That GE could come quicker than he was hoping for and FG would be slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

NIMAN wrote: »

Her time was within 8secs of her time the year previous. Plus you don't just go out for a sub 1hr ten k. Lot of training required. So she was back doing serious running almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Listening to her interview, you don't need a medical expert to verify that she has suffered some form of brain damage.
    But was it as a result of the fall?
    She was "mortified" when she found herself on the floor.
    Did she bang her head on the polished seat on her way down, or suffer trauma to her brain as she hit the ground?
    Maybe she was deprived of oxygen as her (brass?) neck was caught in the grip ropes?
    Whatever brain damage appears to be permanent almost four years on....
    Maybe she has another clear cut medical negligent case against her doctors?
    Mega bucks in the High Court this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

If she had have owned it, held her hands up and said that she listened to advice she shouldn't have and made a huge error in judgement then she may have had a chance to gloss over the incident and save her career but I cannot see how her position is now not untenable.

The crux of the matter is that she tried to claim compo for something that was her own fault 100%. If the swing had collapsed and she got hurt that would be another matter entirely however she was holding a bottle of beer in one hand and reaching for something else with the other and as a result she fell.

The brass neck of her and her legal representation is nothing short of staggering.

Shyt like this is why businesses are closing or been driven to the brink of closure by crippling insurance costs. No matter how good a company's risk management structures are you simply cannot account for stupidity and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It is not just the big parties. Mick Wallace has misappropriated employee pension contributions. Mick Wallace has misappropriated VAT payments. Mick Wallace is a sitting TD. Mick Wallace is on the verge of becoming an MEP.
    That's allright so

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Doc07

Exactly, this is chicken feed compared to Lowry and he topped polls for years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

spurshero wrote: »
    She will never see another dail term . No chance . She Probaly won’t even run . She s knows her time is done deep down

She said in the interview yesterday that running was part of her life, so if the catastrophic injuries received from a one foot drop didn't stop her - and all the intense physio that went with that, a car crash interview will hardly stop her. :D

I see the indo are saying the hotel have the whole thing on CCTV, and were prepared to show it in court to counter the claim. Please God let someone leak it to the media, imagine the remix mishmashes some of the twitterati geniuses could have with that, bit of Laurel and Hardy or Benny Hill music playing in the background, and it would be deadly.

Hotel in swing case planned to use CCTV to fight Bailey claim

They are also focusing on Madigan again, and I have the distinct feeling that they have some inside knowledge of just how deep her involvement goes in this case.
    The revelation comes as some of the focus of the controversy shifted to Culture Minister Josepha Madigan after Ms Bailey refused to say during a radio interview yesterday if she received legal advice from her party colleague. The minister's former legal firm represented Ms Bailey in the now abandoned case.

During a radio interview, the under-fire TD refused to reveal if Ms Madigan had given her legal advice before she lodged the personal injury claim.

At the time of the incident in 2015, both were Fine Gael councillors on Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. Ms Madigan has so far refused to reveal if she personally provided legal advice to her party colleague.

The minister's advisers have said she cannot comment for client confidentially reasons, but they have not clarified if this means Ms Madigan worked directly on the case.

I wonder who the unnamed friend was with Maria on the night in question?

I have a feeling that the swing may ultimately result in two casualties, this story just isn't going away for them, no matter how many lines in the sand Maria Bailey draws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's nobody to blame for our politicians other than the electorate who return these gombeens year after year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement