Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are slaughtered the same way as non halal, only difference is in halal some lad in a robe throws a few "holy words" towards the carcass.
    We went over all this earlier in the thread.

Sad to see you learned nothing.

Islamic tradition says the animals should be fully conscious while they have their throats cut and are left to bleed out. Some exceptions have been made to this in the UK, where pre-stunning was allowed, which just goes to show the normal Halal method is an unnecessary cruelty.

Brennans Bread is vegan/vegitarian, should it have a vegan/vegitarian label?
    Maybe it is vegan. Or maybe they just say it is.
    If they want independent verification for that claim, they could opt to pay for it here. Only then can they use the trademark.
    Again, that's a business decision. Brennan's may have decided that most Veggies and Vegans take a more individual and holistic view of things than Muslims, and tend to make their own individual decisions on what they eat.
    For Muslims its a very black and white issue. Food is either Haram or its Halal, and the final decision on that is made by Imams.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Goah Red, you're very forgetful.
    You don't seem to remember that your source about halal slaughter stated that the majority of non-stun slaughter was due to kosher reasons.

Are you not likewise concerned about a Jewish take over of Europe?
    Or is that too obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

King Mob wrote: »
    Or is that too obvious?

15 million Jews versus 1.8 billion Muslims worldwide so a big difference in sheer numbers alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Goah Red, you're very forgetful.
    You don't seem to remember that your source about halal slaughter stated that the majority of non-stun slaughter was due to kosher reasons.

Or is that too obvious?

Jews are leaving Europe while Muslims are arriving,so no,quite the opposite of take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think you'll find the number of Jews in Europe has drastically declined (even since the Holocaust).

Whereas the number of Muslims has exploded (if you'll excuse the pun).

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    I think you'll find the number of Jews in Europe has drastically declined (even since the Holocaust).

Whereas the number of Muslims has exploded (if you'll excuse the pun).

So this validates your silly conspiracy theory how...?

Also your pun is hilarious cause its racist.

So this validates your silly conspiracy theory how...?

Also your pun is hilarious cause its racist.

It invalidates your stupid question!
    Like most of your stupid questions.

Also I'm glad you cats are past the euphemism part of the thread and laying out yhe real reason to oppose halal certification.

Also I'm glad you cats are past the euphemism part of the thread and laying out yhe real reason to oppose halal certification.

Wrong again,but sure your used to being wrong so all is good.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    It invalidates your stupid question!
    Like most of your stupid questions.
    Stupid questions such as?

You seem awfully triggered for someone who just jumped into the thread...

• Advertisement

Wrong again,but sure your used to being wrong so all is good.

Ok, so why the concerns about halal certified bread?

Stupid questions such as?

You seem awfully triggered for someone who just jumped into the thread...

Straight away try putting me down,great debating tactic there Moob:pac:

Nothing new from your past history,sly condescending chite not to be taken seriously.
    So no not triggered in the slightest.

Straight away try putting me down,great debating tactic there Moob:pac:

Nothing new from your past history,sly condescending chite not to be taken seriously.
    So no not triggered in the slightest.
    So stupid questions like...?

Weird to jump straight to personal attacks but ok...

So stupid questions like...?

Weird to jump straight to personal attacks but ok...

Personal attacks?
    Surely you calling me triggered is personal?
    I said your questions were stupid,nothing personal:confused:

Personal attacks?
    Surely you calling me triggered is personal?
    I said your questions were stupid,nothing personal:confused:
    So could you point to an example of my stupid questions and then maybe I can explain it to you?

And yea, you seem very worked up and annoyed for some reason...

So could you point to an example of my stupid questions and then maybe I can explain it to you?

And yea, you seem very worked up and annoyed for some reason...

Where is these personal attacks you speak about before we go any further,no point getting off on the wrong foot now is there?

Where is these personal attacks you speak about before we go any further,no point getting off on the wrong foot now is there?
    Lol so no examples then.
    Cools...

Lol so no examples then.
    Cools...

Resorting to "lol" and "cools":pac::pac::pac::pac:

Here is your stupid question!

Where is the personal attack you spoke of?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Woodsie1 don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So why the need for Halal certification then. When you buy Halal certified products proceeds of the profit goes to Islamic organisations.

Considering Brennans exports their bread around the world (a fact I just learned, which I am happy about, because **** me I haven't had a real pan in 13 something years) Halal certification would as ABC reported in relation to a Halal uproar in Australia at one point, give them access to markets where that's a big deal to the target consumer, and sometimes a plain requirement of being in the market.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-14/fact-check-does-halal-certification-fund-terrorism/6383238

Fundamentally, one would wager through common sense that Brennan's and its distributors are going to make more money of the consumers of halal goods than the organizations that certify halal goods are going to get off the bread company. Ergo, in other more apropos terms, there's a net influx of money from these "Islamic Organizations" you (and/or others) take umbrage with.

It's kinda like complaining the inspector for your house sale is Muslim and makes a $500 cut of your closing costs when you sell the house to another Muslim - you're taking $200,000 of Muslim money but having a conniption fit over the $500? Why?

King Mob is correct about Kosher vs Halal slaughter:

Similarities
    • Both shechita and dhabihah involve cutting across the neck of the animal with a non-serrated blade in one clean attempt in order to sever the main blood vessels.[2][17]
    • Both require draining the blood of the animal.[17][18]
    • Both Islamic and Jewish culinary practices enforce that the meat and poultry must be examined thoroughly by a member of its religion prior to consumption.[14]
    • Also, both religions emphasize that the meat has to be ritually slaughtered and not just found.[14]

The 'brutality' of both methods is the same. The population density or migration habits of either creed or demographic within your local geography should bear no basis on whether you find one morally objectionable or acceptable to the other.

Overheal wrote: »
    The 'brutality' of both methods is the same. The population density or migration habits of either creed or demographic within your local geography should bear no basis on whether you find one morally objectionable or acceptable to the other.
    In addition my point is that according to the link supplied by Red, the majority of non-stun slaughters are due to kosher methods and this is despite the huge discrepancy between the populations of Jewish and Muslim people in the UK.
    Yet we have been told that some people not only have no issue with kosher certified products like Irish Pride, but in fact enjoy frequenting kosher bakeries.
    Thus we can only conclude that the whole animal rights tangent is pointless at best, hypocritical at worst.

The only reason people are concerned about halal bread is because they subscribe to a silly racist conspiracy theory that Muslims are trying to take over.
    We're a good couple of dozen pages in and the only person who has come close to presenting an alternate non-racist concern was the guy who claimed halal bread was cursed by Islamic sorcery.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Overheal wrote: »
    King Mob is correct about Kosher vs Halal slaughter:

Similarities
    • Both shechita and dhabihah involve cutting across the neck of the animal with a non-serrated blade in one clean attempt in order to sever the main blood vessels.[2][17]
    • Both require draining the blood of the animal.[17][18]
    • Both Islamic and Jewish culinary practices enforce that the meat and poultry must be examined thoroughly by a member of its religion prior to consumption.[14]
    • Also, both religions emphasize that the meat has to be ritually slaughtered and not just found.[14]

The difference is though that during halal slaughter (here in the UK anyway) the animal is stunned. For kosher foods the animal is not allowed to be stunned in any way.

Yet still not a peep about kosher food from the people who were citing animal cruelty and halal foods.

Its almost like they don't really care....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

There is no meat in bread

There is no meat in bread

Ahhhh but something something something Islam!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »

"They"....who is this "They" that her and her roids are so scared of?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whoever she tells them. Its like herding sheep or gathering school children.

So easy to manipulate.

• Advertisement

Back in the day it was a good ol' dog whistle term for "the Jews".
    Seems most conspiracy theorists these days have kinda glossed over the racist foundations of the idea.

Advertisement