Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Let's talk about Ireland

Yes, Irish exporters seeking a halal certification to make it easier to export to Muslim Majority nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yes, Irish exporters seeking a halal certification to make it easier to export to Muslim Majority nations.

No problem with that. But let's talk about Ireland. As in meat sold in Ireland.

Stop the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

It strikes me as unusual that a lot of the animal rights crowds come on the radio talking about the transportation of animals, and I've never heard any of them complain about the way that the animals are killed Halal style. Particularly that John Carmody guy, who Joe Duffy has on regularly.

Another one of those media blind spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone convinced of an Islamic takeover of western society is a moron.
    "takeover" was maybe too strong a word, but it is a relentless and growing colonisation. Some countries have been more affected than others, so far.

Here in Ireland we are only in the initial phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It strikes me as unusual that a lot of the animal rights crowds come on the radio talking about the transportation of animals, and I've never heard any of them complain about the way that the animals are killed Halal style. Particularly that John Carmody guy, who Joe Duffy has on regularly.

Another one of those media blind spots.

They are slaughtered the same way as non halal, only difference is in halal some lad in a robe throws a few "holy words" towards the carcass.

• Advertisement

They are slaughtered the same way as non halal, only difference is in halal some lad in a robe throws a few "holy words" towards the carcass.

No answer to my question still.

You don't have to attend candle light vigils as you put it if not Catholic. You have a choice
    Having my food prepared according to Islamic beliefs is not a choice I would make.

Do I have a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,310 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You don't have to attend candle light vigils as you put it if not Catholic. You have a choice
    Having my food prepared according to Islamic beliefs is not a choice I would make.

Do I have a choice?

do you think you are in danger of accidentally buying halal meat?

Do I have a choice?

Yes you have a choice

You pick a product, check if it's halal certified (the same way a muslim would) and if it is and it offends your snowflake sensibilities then you choose not to buy said product.

do you think you are in danger of accidentally buying halal meat?

I should have a clear choice.

Yes you have a choice

You pick a product, check if it's halal certified (the same way a muslim would) and if it is and it offends your snowflake sensibilities then you choose not to buy said product.

Awesome thanks. Took a while but we got there

• Advertisement

I should have a clear choice.

you do have a choice. if your local butcher is selling halal meat (and that is very unlikely) they will let you know.

you do have a choice. if your local butcher is selling halal meat (and that is very unlikely) they will let you know.

I don't know if they would. I support a labeling system.

"Halal certified" symbol on products. Benifits everyone

Awesome thanks. Took a while but we got there

So now you can stop having nightmares about accidently eating anything halal, happy Googling.

So now you can stop having nightmares about accidently eating anything halal, happy Googling.

Is there a labeling system in the UK?

Is there a labeling system in the UK?

Asked and answered.

Asked and answered.

Correct. Apologies

I don't know if they would. I support a labeling system.

"Halal certified" symbol on products. Benifits everyone

how do you think people that need to buy halal meat know what they can buy?

how do you think people that need to buy halal meat know what they can buy?

I don't know. I mean Donegal catch is halal but it doesn't say it on the packaging

I don't know. I mean Donegal catch is halal but it doesn't say it on the packaging

So is lettuce, cabbage, Tomatoes and bananas. Do they need a label?

So is lettuce, cabbage, Tomatoes and bananas. Do they need a label?

Yes
    Do foods need a vegetarian or vegan symbol?

• Advertisement

Yes
    Do foods need a vegetarian or vegan symbol?

Brennans Bread is vegan/vegitarian, should it have a vegan/vegitarian label? Some.carnivores may get upset about eating unlabeled vegan/vegitarian food.

Brennans Bread is vegan/vegitarian, should it have a vegan/vegitarian label? Some.carnivores may get upset about eating unlabeled vegan/vegitarian food.

It probably should. No smoke and mirrors stuff.
    Transparency.

"Traditionally bread is made from yeast, flour, water, and salt, so it would be suitable for vegans. Unfortunately some commercially sold breads (e.g. sold at supermarkets) contain dairy such as whey (a milk protein) or eggs as fillers or stabilizers and those breads would not be considered vegan (or plant-based)."

There are vegans and vegetarians up and down the country who are unaware.

Fish is halal anyway so they aren;t doing anything odd to your battered cod fillets.

It probably should. No smoke and mirrors stuff.
    Transparency.

"Traditionally bread is made from yeast, flour, water, and salt, so it would be suitable for vegans. Unfortunately some commercially sold breads (e.g. sold at supermarkets) contain dairy such as whey (a milk protein) or eggs as fillers or stabilizers and those breads would not be considered vegan (or plant-based)."

There are vegans and vegetarians up and down the country who are unaware.

And as with halal, Google is your friend.

And as with halal, Google is your friend.

Most normal countries would introduce a labeling system. Ireland doesn't fall into that category so Google it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

recedite wrote: »
    Anyone not concerned about Islamic takeover in western society is a moron.
    circadian wrote: »
    Anyone convinced of an Islamic takeover of western society is a moron.

Less of the above please, it is infantile. /mod
    Oh ffs are we back on the halal shìte again?
    recedite wrote: »
    Officially certified halal shìte.
    Sums up the majority of this thread.

Most normal countries would introduce a labeling system. Ireland doesn't fall into that category so Google it is.

Most? Evidence for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Massive percentage of the population are Catholic. At least on paper anyway. Especially the older generation

It's not like for like.

You don't have to attend if not Catholic. You have a choice

Do I have a choice?

What special preparation according to islamic beliefs is there to make bread?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

All foods.

Vegan
    Vegetarian
    Gluten
    Halal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So why the need for Halal certification then. When you buy Halal certified products proceeds of the profit goes to Islamic organisations.

Advertisement