Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Curran - double murderer out on day release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Those poor Polish fellas just trying to make good lives for themselves over here.

The details of their deaths have stayed with me over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Birneybau wrote: »
    Those poor Polish fellas just trying to make good lives for themselves over here.

The details of their deaths have stayed with me over the years.

I remember it well; too close to home I used to kick a ball around down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember this case well, really shocking and upsetting murders. Not much to say about his release to be honest, this kind of stuff just doesn’t even shock me anymore. The whole legal system in this country is one big joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭political analyst

Life imprisonment in Ireland means 15-20 years absolute maximum and that would be in the case of someone who constantly broke prison rules etc Everyone else gets out in 14/15 years because the whole Irish justice system is a complete joke from the idiot judges who are so far detached from reality that they shouldn't really be allowed to even live in our societies let alone pass judgement in legal cases to the overcrowded revolving door prison service to the solicitors/barristers who lie/cheat and defraud the court system to make money from these scumbags. The whole thing needs to be overhauled but sure we've known that for decades and absolutely zero has been done about to date and unlikely ever to be done about it.

That's not the judges' fault - they don't have the power to set minimum tariffs in murder cases except where the perpetrator is a juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Life imprisonment in Ireland means 15-20 years absolute maximum and that would be in the case of someone who constantly broke prison rules etc Everyone else gets out in 14/15 years because the whole Irish justice system

As already posted John Shaw served 42 years

Malcolm McArthur served 30 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

How many convictions did he have before he killed? how many opportunities did our justice system have to safeguard society from him?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    The regulars will be on here soon saying day release is a good thing. Let's understand why, harsh sentences are bad... Yada yada absolute horses*it...

Well even though a harsher sentence structure has never been tried it's somehow proven it doesn't work in this country. also look at america's justice system I mean we both speak english so our countries' and cultures are exactly the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I love wandering into a thread like this.

1) David will serve a minimum of 25 years after 7 years served all lifers are entitled to Day release on agreement this will be once in a blue moon.

2) David does his jail in 23 hour segregation in Arbour hill due to previous attacks he refuses to mix with sex offenders So is in his cell 23/hours a day.

3) He deserves to be punished but getting all carried away saying he should never get out is just silly as this isn't nor will it ever be the case.

Can we not discuss why people disagree with the release and why people believe it is productive. Rather then being childish and unrealistic.

1) David will serve a minimum of 25 years after 7 years served all lifers are entitled to Day release on agreement this will be once in a blue moon.

2) David does his jail in 23 hour segregation in Arbour hill due to previous attacks he refuses to mix with sex offenders So is in his cell 23/hours a day.

3) He deserves to be punished but getting all carried away saying he should never get out is just silly as this isn't nor will it ever be the case.

Can we not discuss why people disagree with the release and why people believe it is productive. Rather then being childish and unrealistic.

Honestly I don't have problem with his day release if there were clear indicators of reform in his character and a catalogue of good behaviour stretching back to his imprisonment. my issue is with the justice system in general, like I've already asked how many times was he before the courts? how many people are at risk right now because other violent criminals with double digit convictions who should be away from society are out because of light or suspended sentences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Maybe if he stabbed 2 of your loved ones in the head with a screwdriver you’d feel differently ?

If you think he shouldn’t be locked away forever would you like him living next door to you?

I don’t want him released because he stabbed two men in the head with a screwdriver

He should never see the light of day again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah poor little David. Hopefully he will be castrated before he gets a chance to father some kid who will end up like him or his scumbag father

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Should have got 50 or 60 years minimum. Irish justice is a joke, why is nobody doing anything about it? Like why isn't it a major political issue in elections. I feel like someone who proposed building new prisons and harsher sentences would gain traction.

From my memory of theast general election Lucinda Creighton suggested something about stricter sentences/three strikes/etc.
    She was basically laughed at for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

From my memory of theast general election Lucinda Creighton suggested something about stricter sentences/three strikes/etc.
    She was basically laughed at for it.

I think her lack of popularity was more to do with her anti abortion stance but I’m not sure?

Lackey wrote: »
    I think her lack of popularity was more to do with her anti abortion stance but I’m not sure?

I get this but people can be very funny about harsher sentences from what I've seen.

El_Bee wrote: »
    Honestly I don't have problem with his day release if there were clear indicators of reform in his character and a catalogue of good behaviour stretching back to his imprisonment. my issue is with the justice system in general, like I've already asked how many times was he before the courts? how many people are at risk right now because other violent criminals with double digit convictions who should be away from society are out because of light or suspended sentences?

I can't answer regarding his previous as imnnot sure I know he wasn't in St Patrick's or Oberstown before this crime, but would be guessing at his previous and ive no interest in doing that. I have known David in a professional capacity since he was 10. He is a man and should be made answer to his crimes. But saying he should never get out well thats just silly, childish and uneducated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I can't answer regarding his previous as imnnot sure I know he wasn't in St Patrick's or Oberstown before this crime, but would be guessing at his previous and ive no interest in doing that. I have known David in a professional capacity since he was 10. He is a man and should be made answer to his crimes. But saying he should never get out well thats just silly, childish and uneducated.

A professional capacity!!

Thanks for my Monday night laugh...

Yes he attended a service I work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Social worker I guess?

I don't agree with the torture and rape talk, but I don't think this man should get out for a long time for sure - not until he's old. How can it be known how safe people would be around him? Isn't there the risk that he'd become more violent/unhinged in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Ok.

1) I disagree because it is too soon for the victims to accept that justice is being served.
    2) while I’m not entitled to know this, I would like to know that he is capable of being rehabilitated before letting him out, even for a day.
    3) I do not agree that it is silly to think that he will never be released, some people are too dangerous to be out in society. Prison should primarily be used for this category of person as they pose the greatest risk of causing physical harm to their fellow humans. I don’t know if DC is one of those, but I think services such as prison psychologists/probation officers/ prison management can be manipulated into thinking that perpetrators have changed. The crime was especially brutal and violent and that should be acknowledged in considering any release.
    4) can’t think of any reason why it’s productive to allow day release so early in a sentence, it sets up an expectation that will make him push for further concessions and I feel it’s way too soon for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

It seems that it worked out well for him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ok.

1) I disagree because it is too soon for the victims to accept that justice is being served.
    2) while I’m not entitled to know this, I would like to know that he is capable of being rehabilitated before letting him out, even for a day.
    3) I do not agree that it is silly to think that he will never be released, some people are too dangerous to be out in society. Prison should primarily be used for this category of person as they pose the greatest risk of causing physical harm to their fellow humans. I don’t know if DC is one of those, but I think services such as prison psychologists/probation officers/ prison management can be manipulated into thinking that perpetrators have changed. The crime was especially brutal and violent and that should be acknowledged in considering any release.
    4) can’t think of any reason why it’s productive to allow day release so early in a sentence, it sets up an expectation that will make him push for further concessions and I feel it’s way too soon for that.

All light sentence prisoners after 7 years go to the table (Are eligible to go before the parole board) if they have completed the ATV, ATR, ATC (Alternative to violence courses and have been monitored to a standard deemed reasonable by the prison psyche team they will then pass to the next stage.

They have to jump a few hurdles as far as I Know he hasn't mixed with anyone and has kept his head down from day 1 despite numerous attacks form fellow prisoners.

I understand he needs to serve a Kong period of time within a jail, but rules are rules he meets the requirements. As Thomas hinchon was in the same project a few times for family visits this will happen more and more to avoid the institutionalised phase starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭This is it

I get this but people can be very funny about harsher sentences from what I've seen.

In what way, or what have you seen? Very rare to see/hear anyone object to harsher sentences in Ireland, evidenced greatly on this very board.

This is it wrote: »
    In what way, or what have you seen? Very rare to see/hear anyone object to harsher sentences in Ireland, evidenced greatly on this very board.

So, just pretend Mary says all robbers should get 10 years.
    Then you respond do you think Jane's son should be locked up for 10 years for robbing the local shop?
    Mary replies No, he had a difficult time.

I've seen it with people from various backgrounds. They'd are all about locking up and throwing away the key but when they relies it's people they know. They can go back on it from what I've seen.

But saying he should never get out well thats just silly, childish and uneducated.

I never made any claims for him to never be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Years back when I read about all the alcohol, drugs and medication in Curran's system when he carried out his 'deed' I'm surprised the c**t could even stand up and walk, never mind do what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

that's a posh way of saying you work in McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭corks finest

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Life doesn't mean life in this country.

It's usually about 18 years I think.
    Less,more like 10/12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

I understand he needs to serve a Kong period of time within a jail, but rules are rules he meets the requirements.

Change the rules.

Less,more like 10/12

Name one person convicted of Murder out in 12 years. I can tell you now there hasn't been a single one since before 2002. Shortest life term since then is 16 years, 18-22 is average now

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Change the rules.

And deny Human rights.

Advertisement