Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Curran - double murderer out on day release

Options
  • 20-05-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I am genuinely shocked that the double murderer David Curran has been given day release only 9 years into a double life sentence. Who authorised this? If it was the Parole Board then they need to be getting better advice than they have clearly received up to now.

As a society we need to get better at understanding that model behaviour in prison rarely translates into the same behaviour back in the toxic environment that created it. Having a dysfunctional childhood can create very dangerous adults, who would find it difficult, if not impossible to change their ways. It’s not like he’s returning to a loving, functioning family, who disapprove of the behaviour and can help him to become a model citizen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I am genuinely shocked that the double murderer David Curran has been given day release only 9 years into a double life sentence. Who authorised this? If it was the Parole Board then they need to be getting better advice than they have clearly received up to now.

As a society we need to get better at understanding that model behaviour in prison rarely translates into the same behaviour back in the toxic environment that created it. Having a dysfunctional childhood can create very dangerous adults, who would find it difficult, if not impossible to change their ways. It’s not like he’s returning to a loving, functioning family, who disapprove of the behaviour and can help him to become a model citizen.

Is his father still locked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Life doesn't mean life in this country.

It's usually about 18 years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The glaring reality here is that we need more Prisons

In particular for young offenders, Oberstown has been full for years now.
    People under 18 get sentenced and then are just freed as there is no where to put them.

Life should be Life (At least 30 years)
    9 years for a double murder is shocking.

Prisons require a lot of money.
    But sure we'd rather spend the money on getting fibre broadband out to farmers in the middle or no where OR p***ing Billions away on a children's hospital that's not really fit for purpose.

Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

@Squatter - I don’t know

@battlecorp - it’s closer to 20 years now and depends on circumstances surrounding the original crime and the potential for rehabilitation. Those murders were particularly brutal and the behaviour psychopathic (in my opinion).

To be clear, he only got out for 8 hours according to media reports but it’s an indication that he’s already on the path to full release, which is incredible given the brutality of the crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

BattleCorp wrote: »

depends on who you murder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Some family.
    David locked up for double murder.
    Father locked up for Tiger Kidnapping.
    Brother murdered by his best mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Some family.

Ahhhh, that explains the short sentence. Underprivileged upbringing.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Some family.

Mother was badly burned in a fire-bombing which, according to AGS, wasn't related to the son's crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Ahhhh, that explains the short sentence. Underprivileged upbringing.

He didn't get a short sentence he got 2 life sentences.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    He didn't get a short sentence he got 2 life sentences.

Concurrent, not consecutive. So a 50% discount from day one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I140927_160951_1229343oTextCY_32653364.jpg

Scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

We could try setting up a space programme and allowing utterly depraved criminals to run the thing. That has been known to decrease recidivism in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Scumbag.

Hopefully he'll be dead soon enough. The more pond life like him that lead short lives the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It can do, the likes of John Shaw has been in prison for 43 years.

They'll usually get parole eventually though. The average time served these days is 22 yrs. However the sentence never goes away, they're subject to a lot of restrictions and can be returned to prison for any minor offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

The fact that Curran was 17 at the time of the murders may have been a factor in the Parole Board's decision because that meant that the life sentence for murder was not mandatory in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

grahambo wrote: »
    Prisons require a lot of money.
    But sure we'd rather spend the money on getting fibre broadband out to farmers in the middle or no where OR p***ing Billions away on a children's hospital that's not really fit for purpose.

Joke!

The billions go to the contractors, not the actual services. Wait until we have privately run prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

.Charlo wrote: »
    Hopefully he'll be dead soon enough. The more pond life like him that lead short lives the better.
    And hope hes getting his hole opened every day in the showers. A dirtbag from a dirtbag family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Should have got 50 or 60 years minimum. Irish justice is a joke, why is nobody doing anything about it? Like why isn't it a major political issue in elections. I feel like someone who proposed building new prisons and harsher sentences would gain traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Redhead. Explains it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Life imprisonment in Ireland means 15-20 years absolute maximum and that would be in the case of someone who constantly broke prison rules etc Everyone else gets out in 14/15 years because the whole Irish justice system is a complete joke from the idiot judges who are so far detached from reality that they shouldn't really be allowed to even live in our societies let alone pass judgement in legal cases to the overcrowded revolving door prison service to the solicitors/barristers who lie/cheat and defraud the court system to make money from these scumbags. The whole thing needs to be overhauled but sure we've known that for decades and absolutely zero has been done about to date and unlikely ever to be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Edgware wrote: »
    And hope hes getting his hole opened every day in the showers. A dirtbag from a dirtbag family

Bizarre revenge fantasy. Something you ain’t telling us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

The regulars will be on here soon saying day release is a good thing. Let's understand why, harsh sentences are bad... Yada yada absolute horses*it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Scumbag.

An ugly scumbag at that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve said it many times on boards but once more

We no longer have capital punishment in this country. Wrongly in my view but in the circumstances

Prison needs to be FAR FAR FAR HARSHER than it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Throw us up an ol' link there .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sunday world sitting on my table, a few more up to date pictures of this scaldy looking killer :

b7fn7q.jpg

23ljkzt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Someone like him should never see outside of his cell for the rest of his life

Shackled to the wall in a hellhole of a cell until his dying day should be what prison is like for such scum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would happily pay more tax for bigger prisons so scum like this stayed locked up for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Throw us up an ol' link there .

I heard the victims former employer speaking about it on liveline today. He is still traumatised by the murders and their families in Poland are beyond devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Somethings not right here he should come out looking the way he went in not vica versa.... was obviously in his element

Advertisement