Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

pc7 wrote: »
    For the uninitiated, Mount Everest, which is documented to be 60 million years old, stands at 8,848 meters which is equal to 10.7 Burj Khalifas, the world’s tallest tower, stacked on top of one another.

From that. I've never seen a mountains age in an article before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Grayson wrote: »
    Strange.
    As is comparing Mt. Everest to a tower. Its a bit like saying "a lion is equal to 10.7 chihuahuas stacked on top of each other".
    Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think that Nepal brought in an age limit after a thirteen year old did it a few years ago. Maybe the Tibetan side doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Grayson wrote: »

Can we be certain so that Hillary and Tenzig were first to climb it?? Maybe Neolithic caveman climbed it and just didn’t feel need to report it.

lawred2 wrote: »
    fairly sure many helicopter engines already use turbochargers
    Yes I thought so, so eventually decided to google it.
    It turns out the problem is not really a lack of oxygen for the engine, its the lack of lift to the chopper blades in the thin air.
    Oddly enough...
    Although high-altitude conditions are unfavorable for regular helicopters, exceptions do occur. In 2005, a French fighter pilot named Didier Delsalle actually landed a helicopter, the Eurocopter AS350 Squirrel, on the summit of Mount Everest, and returned to base after sitting at the summit for 3 minutes and 50 seconds!
    The video to prove it is embedded in this link.

At the end of the day, its the power to weight ratio that counts. The same thing you or me would be up against when climbing any hill.

If we compare Sherpas to their clients, the Sherpas have the equivalent of an inbuilt turbo charger, because their blood has extra oxygen carrying capacity. But their power to weight ratio is probably no better. Hence if you get a very fit western mountaineer, fit him with an oxygen facemask, he can keep up with a Sherpa. Until the altitude sickness overtakes him and his brain starts swelling.
    Sherpas... you just can't beat them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Can we be certain so that Hillary and Tenzig were first to climb it?? Maybe Neolithic caveman climbed it and just didn’t feel need to report it.

I hear the neolithic oxygen tanks weren't quite up to the job - made it to Camp 2, but didn't manage to get above that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Don't be silly, nobody would have climbed it back in the day because they'd no Instagram :p
    blackwhite wrote: »
    I hear the neolithic oxygen tanks weren't quite up to the job - made it to Camp 2, but didn't manage to get above that

Smarty pants, the oxygen content in the air would probably have been much higher back then due to lower world population, more foliage, no industry etc etc etc. Plus it quite possibly could have been smaller making it much easier to climb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

George Mallory and Irvine may well have been the first to summit everest in the 20's. No one really knows for sure. They were last seen close to the summit before cloud swallowed them up. Both were never seen again until Mallory's body was discovered in 1999. Interestingly, mallory had a camera on him and when his body was discovered they searched for the camera to hopefully find out if they'd made the summit. It was not on him, which many believe may indicate he took it out to take pictures at the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

when it was shorter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,402 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We may not even be the first human species to reach it, if the Denisovan altitude gene passed onto the Sherpas angle is correct :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

recedite wrote: »
    Yes I thought so, so eventually decided to google it.
    It turns out the problem is not really a lack of oxygen for the engine, its the lack of lift to the chopper blades in the thin air.
    Oddly enough...

The video to prove it is embedded in this link.

is that yer man from that sh*t tv show Lost at 0.54 seconds?

can't imagine the locals were too impressed with that :) the video is good but I sort of had hopes for it landing and him getting out and having a cigarette or a hang and cheese sangwich and flask of tea or something to that effect and taking off then*. It seemed the helicopter was just hovering on the summit with the landing skids just brushing it rather than landing.

*please don't anybody respond anybody with the countless possibilities of how impossible this is. i just got my hopes up when I saw the title :) afterall some headbanger has skied down K2, never mind Everest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Lillyfae wrote: »

Don't be silly, nobody would have climbed it back in the day because they'd no Instagram :p

Smarty pants, the oxygen content in the air would probably have been much higher back then due to lower world population, more foliage, no industry etc etc etc. Plus it quite possibly could have been smaller making it much easier to climb :D

Just thinking there’s probably a whole thesis in the points you’ve just raised !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a good chance Mallory and Irvine climbed it in 1924.

We'll never know for sure obviously.

Wailin wrote: »
    George Mallory and Irvine may well have been the first to summit everest in the 20's. No one really knows for sure. They were last seen close to the summit before cloud swallowed them up. Both were never seen again until Mallory's body was discovered in 1999. Interestingly, mallory had a camera on him and when his body was discovered they searched for the camera to hopefully find out if they'd made the summit. It was not on him, which many believe may indicate he took it out to take pictures at the summit.
    Where he is facing it looks like he fell during a descent. I think at least one the legs are broken

His wife's picture is also missing. He said he was going to bury it in the snow on the summit.

However he wasn't discovered until decades after his death and it's possible it could have just disintegrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There’s considerable debate over whether Mallory would have been capable of climbing the 2nd step or not as well.
    Unless Irvine is found with the expedition camera then it’ll always be a point of debate and what-ifs.

Whilst a part of me loves the “romantic” notion of Mallory’s obsession having been successful - I tend to agree with the assessment of John Mallory, his son.

"To me, the only way you achieve a summit is to come back alive. The job is only half done if you don't get down again"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Where he is facing it looks like he fell during a descent. I think at least one the legs are broken

His wife's picture is also missing. He said he was going to bury it in the snow on the summit.

However he wasn't discovered until decades after his death and it's possible it could have just disintegrated.

Whether he did or didn’t summit is fairly inconsequential, he didn’t come down alive. There’s a recent gush of adulation for a lot of dead mountaineers. Mallory is possibly an exception to this as he possibly was the first to even get to the top, I agree but without wanting to be too harsh but it should be said at some point, Ger McDonnell did not conquer K2, he died. Successfully summiting a mountain has always been about being able to go up and down in one piece, our extremely naïve and idiotic president at the time made it very public that McDonnell had become the first Irishman to climb K2 and it made front page news much to the dismay of the climbing community as when it was published he was still on top of one of the most dangerous mountains in the world. I remember it as an inexperienced mountaineer and could not comprehend how it was being celebrated while he was still up there. No doubt he was a hero for trying to rescue others, but he lost his life yet most other climbers who leave other climbers to perish are called self serving selfish reckless idiots. I find it very hard to reconcile how they can be called as much yet Lawless and McDonnell are some how different just because they died.

The TLDR...you only climb/successfully summit a mountain when you go up and come down again alive.

Tenzing is an amazing man to read up about. Born in the shadow of the great peaks he'd been fascinated by the mountains since a child. He'd been part of Everest expeditions since the early 1930s and was determined to finally get up it in 1953, telling his brother in law before he left to make sure his family was taken care because he was either goin to do it this time or die trying.

He was devasted when he wasn't selected for the first summit push of the 53 expedition, but took his chance a day later when Bourdillon and Evans returned to camp after their oxygen failed.

Nothing was going to stop him from reaching the summit that day.

He spoke very highly of Hillary also, they thought they were shagged at the final step until Hillary engineered a way up for them.

Brilliant technical climber, it was the perfect partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He might have turned back before reaching the summit though so his body position doesn’t tell us much. The photo could have easily blown away. It gets mighty windy up there. The guys who attempted to summit the day before Hillary and Norgay were painfully close to succeeding when they had to turn back.
    There’s considerable debate over whether Mallory would have been capable of climbing the 2nd step or not as well.
    Unless Irvine is found with the expedition camera then it’ll always be a point of debate and what-ifs.

Whilst a part of me loves the “romantic” notion of Mallory’s obsession having been successful - I tend to agree with the assessment of John Mallory, his son.

"To me, the only way you achieve a summit is to come back alive. The job is only half done if you don't get down again"

I think of a lot of people who attempt Everest lose sight of this. It’s not just about dragging yourself up a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sorry if this was posted, Jason Black on off the ball about climbing k2 and everest

https://www.newstalk.com/sport/jason-black-bullying-everest-867292

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Sorry if this was posted, Jason Black on off the ball about climbing k2 and everest

https://www.newstalk.com/sport/jason-black-bullying-everest-867292

Wow, great interview.

Also touches on the fact that the Nepalese companies have turned the mountain into a high-altitude version of St. Mark's square in Venice, whereas in previous years, foreign guides were in the majority and were a bit more discerning about who they worked with, and wouldn't let inexperienced take a shot at the summit - which is what I suspected was going on this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yurt! wrote:
    Also touches on the fact that the Nepalese companies have turned the mountain into a high-altitude version of St. Mark's square in Venice, whereas in previous years, foreign guides were in the majority and were a bit more discerning about who they worked with, and wouldn't let inexperienced take a shot at the summit - which is what I suspected was going on this summer.

It's actually turning around that the Nepalese are concentrating on upskilling their climbers with Alpine certified skills. They have built the Khumbu climbing skills and the top Sherpas are now certified instructors. They have rightly decided that they are the ones who should have the skills, strength and experience to lead expeditions, and to therefore profit from it.
    Even at a trekking level, western companies who sell Nepalese treks totally rely on Nepalese personnel on the ground. This is being replaced by Nepalese operators in totality. There is now no need to have a westerner involved to skim cream off the top of the cost of a trip just because they run a what is in effect a social media company. I'm not going to name names!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Also the best of the Nepalese outfits won't take climbers up Makalu (8485) without prior 6k&7k experience. Island Peak and Mera don't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

gman2k wrote: »
    It's actually turning around that the Nepalese are concentrating on upskilling their climbers with Alpine certified skills. They have built the Khumbu climbing skills and the top Sherpas are now certified instructors. They have rightly decided that they are the ones who should have the skills, strength and experience to lead expeditions, and to therefore profit from it.
    Even at a trekking level, western companies who sell Nepalese treks totally rely on Nepalese personnel on the ground. This is being replaced by Nepalese operators in totality. There is now no need to have a westerner involved to skim cream off the top of the cost of a trip just because they run a what is in effect a social media company. I'm not going to name names!

That's great, and more power to them if they want to cut-out the foreigners, but not at the expense of safety and the dignity of what is a holy mountain. It's all quite sad; a sensible government would shut the mountain down until they can negotiate a situation that will avoid a repeat of this year's mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bit weird how that Jason Black fella keeps referring to himself in the third person.
    I'd say he is still battling some demons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Bit weird how that Jason Black fella keeps referring to himself in the third person.

Haven’t listened yet. That’s mad. People referring to themselves in the third person is always a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

J Mysterio wrote: »

I think it fit the context of what he was saying and didn't come across as anything other than that, wasn't constant throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cd3FtRy.jpg

That Jason Black is a hungry chap.
    Did he say at some point in the interview that he carried 2 cows and a load of chickens up the hill so he could have them for dinner at base camp?

24obelix1(1).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Pretty sure he didn't say he carried them, listed the animals that they brought to base came to slaughter for food.

Advertisement