Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted by a Dentist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

fryup wrote:
    if you read the post correctly...the first/main dentist has prevented me from seeing the other dentist..i had no interaction with the other dentist

I'm sorry your posts aren't very clear. It's their practice. They can do what they like.

We definitely aren't getting the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fryup wrote: »
    hand on heart no bs

it was innocuous and it was the first and only time

*and yes i didn't remember all the details of what she said, people do forget

t

Yes people forget, so why then did you blame her? You could have just said that you forgot.

It certainly is an inconvenience, but you are done there, look for another dentist who appreciates your business. And next time, don’t blame others because you can’t remember simple instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Dav010 wrote: »
    Yes people forget, so why then did you blame her? You could have just said that you forgot.

Probably because there is a simple answer to people forgetting its called writing it down. You may be too arrogant to appreciate simple written instructions others may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I suspect most would not need to memorise them, don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, chew on the other side, keep it clean etc etc, you need these written down after being told verbally, for you to follow? Crikey.

Again, when sedation is used as in your case, your mental state is altered so you may not remember the post op conversation. But with local anaesthetic.......

MOST does not equal ALL. The simple professional thing to do, to cover ALL eventualities is to issue one A4 sheet of paper with the guidelines and directions for care. A piece of fûcking paper. I think that’s not too difficult for a quality dental facility to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

After having a dental procedure and not remembering what you were told would you not err on the side of caution and Google what you should or shouldn't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

blame her? she's a highly paid professional....is it asking too much that she would give me a simple list of do's & don't ?? am i as a patient not entitled to even mention this?

if she's so thin skinned that she can't take the slightest critique then she shouldn't be in the business

Balmed Out wrote: »
    After having a dental procedure and not remembering what you were told would you not err on the side of caution and Google what you should or shouldn't do.

I’d rather have a verifiable hard copy instruction from the dental facility, specific to the procedure carried out, by them, then end up having to read through the internet trying to decipher instructions and opinions which may or may not pertain to me.

Sure next time you feel sick, forget your GP ! GOOGLE !

fryup wrote: »
    blame her? she's a highly paid professional....is it asking too much that she would give me a simple list of do's & don't ?? am i as a patient not entitled to even mention this?

if she's so thin skinned that she can't take the slightest critique then she shouldn't be in the business

But she did give them to you, you have posted this many times, you forgot them.

I’m beginning to understand her reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I feel like if the op had received written instructions they would of had an issue with that too.....and local anaesthetic does not make you drowsy or nauseous or forgetful

Strumms wrote:
    I’d rather have a verifiable hard copy instruction from the dental facility, specific to the procedure carried out, by them, then end up having to read through the internet trying to decipher instructions and opinions which may or may not pertain to me.

Strumms wrote:
    Sure next time you feel sick, forget your GP ! GOOGLE !

Thats not the same thing at all, if its too much for you then ring and ask. You shouldn't need your hand held for everything.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Probably because there is a simple answer to people forgetting its called writing it down. You may be too arrogant to appreciate simple written instructions others may not be.

I have great faith in adults ability to follow simple verbal instructions. To be honest, in 25 years no one has ever said to me after post op instructions “sorry I don’t understand what you mean about keeping it clean, not drinking alcohol, smoking etc” it’s pretty basic stuff, nothing to do with arrogance, more an acknowledgement of basic brain function.

How do you blame someone else, for something you forgot? Basically you are saying, how my brain works is your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thats not the same thing at all, if its too much for you then ring and ask. You shouldn't need your hand held for everything.

Even more reason for the practice to provide written instructions - it saves their time being wasted with unnecessary phone calls.

my3cents wrote: »
    Even more reason for the practice to provide written instructions - it saves their time being wasted with unnecessary phone calls.

Maybe if you asked the dentist now, they may have wished they gave the op a written, and just to cover all bases, Braille list of do’s and don’ts, but that may not have prevented the dry socket and there is no guarantee that the op would not have found another reason to complain.

Again, I find it hard to believe he got a PFO just based on the account he has given here.

my3cents wrote:

Not many people cant remember simple instructions.

No but you shouldn’t have to ring and ask. In my experience a document with ‘aftercare instructions’ was given. That isn’t having your hand held. It is a professional, well considered method of communicating the requirements of the recovery from the procedure. If you perceive that as ‘hand holding’ that’s your prerogative but from the point of view of a patient it is the best method of communicating aftercare especially but not limited to folks having been sedated, anesthesia administered and stressed / nervous into the bargain. ‘ No, paper shouldn’t be issued, it’s enough to be told ‘ :rolleyes: right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I have awful teeth, many dentist trips every year, they're unfortunately very fragile. 4 dentist in about 6 years and I've yet to get written instructions for anything, fillings, root canal, extractions and cap. Are they all bad practices/dentists?

I certainly wouldnt have blamed the dentist if I didn't listen/pay attention. I recall the rules were very straightforward so it wasn't hard to follow.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I have awful teeth, many dentist trips every year, they're unfortunately very fragile. 4 dentist in about 6 years and I've yet to get written instructions for anything, fillings, root canal, extractions and cap. Are they all bad practices/dentists?

I certainly wouldnt have blamed the dentist if I didn't listen/pay attention. I recall the rules were very straightforward so it wasn't hard to follow.

No, but have you ever been sedated or given an anesthesia or anything ? Or indeed any other procedure that can and will impair cognitive function temporarily ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Strumms wrote:
    No, but have you ever been sedated or given an anesthesia or anything ? Or indeed any other procedure that can and will impair cognitive function temporarily ?

For the love of... The OP was given local anaesthetic. Local does not impair cognitive function.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dial Hard wrote: »
    For the love of... The OP was given local anaesthetic. Local does not impair cognitive function.

https://www.rxlist.com/xylocaine-dental-injection-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Right, I suppose that's because it's your experience that means it's the same for everyone.

Strumms wrote: »
    . ‘ No, paper shouldn’t be issued, it’s enough to be told ‘ :rolleyes: right.

Correct, for local anaesthetic procedures.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »

True, in THIS case, but for above reasons which I have already set out...what is the issue with a dentist printing one A4 page of aftercare instructions in conjunction with a briefing. He has to type nothing. No time needed. It’s a fûcking standard document saved on his PC. CAN be referenced by the patient at home, by relatives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I have great faith in adults ability to follow simple verbal instructions. To be honest, in 25 years no one has ever said to me after post op instructions “sorry I don’t understand what you mean about keeping it clean, not drinking alcohol, smoking etc” it’s pretty basic stuff, nothing to do with arrogance, more an acknowledgement of basic brain function.

How do you blame someone else, for something you forgot? Basically you are saying, how my brain works is your fault.

Mr._Osborn_may_I_be_excused.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Giving people written instructions assumes they can read, which a large proportion of the adult population can not. Written instructions are a good thing but a lot of people loose them or ignore them. You have to tell people what you want them to do and hope they remember to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Strumms wrote: »

local anaesthetic every time. Sometimes a lot more than others so I can understand you can feel a little woozy after but to ignore the very simple instructions is just a mistake, the op will know to listen next time

IvoryTower wrote: »
    local anaesthetic every time. Sometimes a lot more than others so I can understand you can feel a little woozy after but to ignore the very simple instructions is just a mistake, the op will know to listen next time

It’s not a question of not listening or ignoring maybe they forgot, again, one piece of A4 paper, my dentist was even professional enough to laminate mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Giving people written instructions assumes they can read, which a large proportion of the adult population can not. Written instructions are a good thing but a lot of people loose them or ignore them. You have to tell people what you want them to do and hope they remember to do it.
    A large proportion of the adult population can't read ? Where are the facts for that ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A large proportion of the adult population can't read ? Where are the facts for that ?

Surprisingly, An OECD survey shows that 1 in 6 Irish adults has difficulty understanding basic written text.

https://www.nala.ie/literacy/literacy-in-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Surprisingly, An OECD survey shows that 1 in 6 Irish adults has difficulty understanding basic written text.

https://www.nala.ie/literacy/literacy-in-ireland

Thanks for the link .I am shocked at that fact .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Wow. Just stumbled upon this thread, and wanted to post in support of the OP.

Why would a dentist not give written instructions for aftercare after a procedure? Is there any reason not to?

Not everybody retains everything they are told at all times. People write things down, make lists, have spreadsheets of things to do.

Sure its printed on prescriptions, how many you should take a day. Should it be scrapped because people who can't remember 3 tablets per day for 7 days don't deserve to get better?

If the potential outcome of not following instructions is a dry socket, I would expect more than some verbal instruction, which has no protocol, and may vary from dentist to dentist (correct me if I'm wrong).

• Advertisement

Wow. Just stumbled upon this thread, and wanted to post in support of the OP.

Why would a dentist not give written instructions for aftercare after a procedure? Is there any reason not to?

Not everybody retains everything they are told at all times. People write things down, make lists, have spreadsheets of things to do.

Sure its printed on prescriptions, how many you should take a day. Should it be scrapped because people who can't remember 3 tablets per day for 7 days don't deserve to get better?

If the potential outcome of not following instructions is a dry socket, I would expect more than some verbal instruction, which has no protocol, and may vary from dentist to dentist (correct me if I'm wrong).

You are wrong.

Protocol is to provide post op instructions, they do not have to be written, the standard is verbal as they are simple, easy to understand and follow. The reason not to give written? Most adults can follow simple advice given verbally.

If you hurt your ankle, do you need written instructions to tell you to keep your weight off it? If you have a chest infection, does your GP need to give you written instructions to rest?

Even when you follow the instructions, dry socket can occur, it is unpredictable and multifactorial.

Are people really arguing that it is the Dentist’s fault the op forgot simple instructions given by a the Dentist? Has it got to this now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement